Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Uneven Sound

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Spent the whole weekend playing and I just wanted to bring a few things to KI's attention:

1. If you go into the cellar of a tavern, when you come back up, none of the clickable NPCs (or locations) within the tavern work. You have to go outside and come back in again to reset them and make them clickable again.

2. Boosting skills (like those given to Privateers) are WAY too loud. They blast on our speakers at at least twice the volume as the rest of the game's sound effects and dialogue. It's gotten to the point that when I group with my husband (a Privateer) I have to leap for the mute button on my keyboard whenever he throws a skill.

3. I must protest getting stuck with companions who are just this side of useless. The Crab Hermit companion from Valencia is really, really under-powered. He can summon a single crab crawlie and he can hit things that are adjacent to him. If he moves, however,he can't attack. And he has zero distance skills/attacks. The summoned crab crawlie dies easily and the crab hermit himself does very little damage. I swear, if I could leave him on the ship to swab the decks, I would. Nurse Quinn from Cool Ranch is a little better, but not by much. She has just one minor healing spell and swings a medical bag, (that I assume is full of bricks) but at lease she can attack after moving.

Ensign
Dec 06, 2009
I think the community is mostly behind you in regards to some of the secondary companions we receive...

Some are very useful...I know I rocked Froggo Villa as a first mate for most of Cool Ranch.

But there are also the ones who make us wish we had never accepted those quests...Crab Hermit, I think we would all agree, is just awful lol. We go pick up some pieces of art and the Guinea Pig gives us an old crab?

Administrator
Heya!

Good to see you on the boards and thanks for your bug reports.

1. Haven't heard of this one yet, so I'll direct our Q&A to check it out.

2. I have heard this one. I believe there's a fix coming for these sounds. Again, I'll check.

3. This one I know is bugged!

We'll get that fixed as well.

Thanks!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
There is a way to not have companions come up for battles: get them killed and don't revive them. Seems a little extreme, I guess, but if you really need to not have a crew member show up, that's the only way I've thought of to do it.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
A Mythspent Youth on Oct 22, 2012 wrote:
Spent the whole weekend playing and I just wanted to bring a few things to KI's attention:

1. If you go into the cellar of a tavern, when you come back up, none of the clickable NPCs (or locations) within the tavern work. You have to go outside and come back in again to reset them and make them clickable again.

2. Boosting skills (like those given to Privateers) are WAY too loud. They blast on our speakers at at least twice the volume as the rest of the game's sound effects and dialogue. It's gotten to the point that when I group with my husband (a Privateer) I have to leap for the mute button on my keyboard whenever he throws a skill.

3. I must protest getting stuck with companions who are just this side of useless. The Crab Hermit companion from Valencia is really, really under-powered. He can summon a single crab crawlie and he can hit things that are adjacent to him. If he moves, however,he can't attack. And he has zero distance skills/attacks. The summoned crab crawlie dies easily and the crab hermit himself does very little damage. I swear, if I could leave him on the ship to swab the decks, I would. Nurse Quinn from Cool Ranch is a little better, but not by much. She has just one minor healing spell and swings a medical bag, (that I assume is full of bricks) but at lease she can attack after moving.
Never experiences the first problem noted at all. Hope they fix it, its just not something that everyone is encountering.

I totally agree on the second item. Most of the boosts have incredibly obnoxious sounds that might be humorous or entertaining at a reasonable volume. As it is now, they are the EVERYONE WAKE UP moves in the game. I love the drum roll... but those cat calls, whistles, and trumpet noises are causing me to avoid the in game sound.

I think some companions may need some adjustments, but dont agree with the concept some have of being able to get rid of, set aside/ignore some companions. Such a tactic would make ruin one major aspect of the game (companion management) and make it far too easy.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Community Leader
zman330 on Oct 22, 2012 wrote:
I think the community is mostly behind you in regards to some of the secondary companions we receive...

Some are very useful...I know I rocked Froggo Villa as a first mate for most of Cool Ranch.

But there are also the ones who make us wish we had never accepted those quests...Crab Hermit, I think we would all agree, is just awful lol. We go pick up some pieces of art and the Guinea Pig gives us an old crab?
Agreed! So far, I really like Froggo Villa.

But yeah, old Mr. Crab Hermit... um, maybe he can be the ship's cook?

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Oct 22, 2012 wrote:
Heya!

Good to see you on the boards and thanks for your bug reports.

1. Haven't heard of this one yet, so I'll direct our Q&A to check it out.

2. I have heard this one. I believe there's a fix coming for these sounds. Again, I'll check.

3. This one I know is bugged!

We'll get that fixed as well.

Thanks!
Thanks, Jack! I'm confident that from Ravenwood to Skull Island, the Spiral is in good hands.

Ensign
Jul 25, 2011
Oh and the gun shot volume is too loud. Drives you batty!
Also I am dying to know what the sound byte for Subodai's Epic Talent is from??? I can only imagine the the piece of music it came from is awesome! Tell us pleeeeease.

Ensign
Jul 25, 2011
I need to update my post. I um....found the sound controls (in Settings)...hehe. Everything is fine now! Awesome we have the ability to adjust everything! Pirate 101 equalizer! Yay!

Ensign
Dec 24, 2011
This is probably not a regular topic for here but I notice the people running the boards are good about answering so I will put it here.

Could you please ask your technical department to adjust the sound levels so the sounds are uniform? It gets really annoying where some things like companion voice you can't hear but powers like Kraken's Coils are so loud they practically blow your eardrums out. Lowering the effect volume doesn't do much for it and makes everything else unhearable.

It reminds me of TV shows that are soft and when you get to the commercials they are at full blast. I hope it can get looked at because it is a small negative in an otherwise great game.

Thank you