Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Pirate101 REALLY meant for kids 10+?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
I can see Wizard101 being mean't for kids 10+ because there is hardly any violence, the graphics are kid-friendly and the way the game works with combat is very simple. However, I think Pirate101 is meant for people much older than just 10 years old. I won't say how old I am because that's against forum rules, but I will say I am much older than 10 and I still have a hard time understanding the game. Is the E10+ rating for the kid-friendly graphics and low amount of violence or is it for the way combat works because I don't see 10-year-olds understanding this game all that well. I'm not trying to sound insulting to anyone who is 10 or younger who plays this game, just if I was 10 I doubt I wouldn't understand this game at all.

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~

Community Leader
I would say that the level of complexity in combat here is comperable to Wizard 101. There were still a lot of things I was just figuring out there hours and hours in. I think that the learning curve is a bit steeper in Pirate, simply because you're managing multiple characters besides your pirate, but it seems more or less the same. It could be that I see it this way because I favor turn based strat to card battles, but I would say they are on par.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2010
CaptainAureus on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
I can see Wizard101 being mean't for kids 10+ because there is hardly any violence, the graphics are kid-friendly and the way the game works with combat is very simple. However, I think Pirate101 is meant for people much older than just 10 years old. I won't say how old I am because that's against forum rules, but I will say I am much older than 10 and I still have a hard time understanding the game. Is the E10+ rating for the kid-friendly graphics and low amount of violence or is it for the way combat works because I don't see 10-year-olds understanding this game all that well. I'm not trying to sound insulting to anyone who is 10 or younger who plays this game, just if I was 10 I doubt I wouldn't understand this game at all.

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~
I know what you mean.

The strategy needed to get through this game alone, no 10 year old I know, could do it.
Of course, that is where the parents would come into play.
Making it a family game.

The in game characters and their names will hold no meaning to children.
Heck, 20 somethings might recognize a few, but not a majority, more than likely.

I'm still trying to figure out, if, the Frogfather is based on Don Corleone or Michael Corleone.
Or maybe a little of both.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
From experience, EVERY mmo I ever touched carried some sort of learning curve. Hence the tutorials. As long as the tutorials are good, which they are here I think, anyone could understand the basics.

As people play, they naturally explore and ask questions, and over time, become VERY familiar with the game, and play it like a pro.

Pirate101 and Wizard101 had some of the easiest learning curves out of all the games I have played. I think it makes sense that it is 10+.

Remember, no one understands and gets everything about this game all at once, it is learned over time. Not even for super hardcore mmo players.

Community Leader
The game is not "meant" for kids for 10+
The game is designed to be a family game, its "meant" to be appealing to all ages.

The content of the game is considered acceptable for kids 10+ years of age. Difficulty is not a consideration here, however they keep things pretty simple overall.

I find it a bit confusing reviewing some folks feedback on the game. How can it be too hard, and too easy all at the same time... (not a reflection on this thread, but observations on many threads, here and at central) <shrug>

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
My son is pretty young, and he seems to be doing OK. He asks questions from time to time, and he tends to skip side quests. But he goes back and does them when he sees me with something new from one of them.

Community Leader
Peabotz on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
I know what you mean.

The strategy needed to get through this game alone, no 10 year old I know, could do it.
Of course, that is where the parents would come into play.
Making it a family game.

The in game characters and their names will hold no meaning to children.
Heck, 20 somethings might recognize a few, but not a majority, more than likely.

I'm still trying to figure out, if, the Frogfather is based on Don Corleone or Michael Corleone.
Or maybe a little of both.
Don Corleone, for sure. I don't think Michael ever took on the Marlon Brando speak affect once he started running the family.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Jan 05, 2012
of course its for ten and up i understand everything about it so does my little brother and we have heard of the god father and things like that

Ensign
Jul 19, 2010
my brother in law's son plays and he is very young, believe it or not he understands it more than i do LOL..he does a very good job. He is flying through the game

Ensign
Jun 30, 2012
This has nothing to do with the question, but are you the pirate with Kai in the youtube videos,for example,did you do the temples in mooshu with Kai, cause if you did,please let me know. I'm a fan what you do.

-Cunning Thomas Orleans,Captain of Musketeers

(P.S. the temple videos are on youtube now)

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
Musket Captain on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:
This has nothing to do with the question, but are you the pirate with Kai in the youtube videos,for example,did you do the temples in mooshu with Kai, cause if you did,please let me know. I'm a fan what you do.

Well, yes that was me. But, you're a fan of what that I do?

Administrator
Thanks for this discussion everyone! I just want to remind our younger readers on the forum to not reveal their true age on the Internet. Stay safe!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
Musket Captain on Dec 10, 2012 wrote:

This is also off topic,
i have no idea who your talking about but since when your the captain of the musketeers!? I myself is worthy of being the queen of musketeers cause i can do it better and i know how to do it like a swashbuckler. Come on and show your face if you want.

Level 50 Musketeer, Black

Ensign
Jun 28, 2012
Ok look, I get what Achilles is saying, but I don't think he knows how ratings are. But, i played 10+ games when i was 5. Sure, there are some things every now and then, but The worst there is is when a Skratchet does his business on the Enemies head. Pirate101 was built for having fun, I would bet anything the company won't expose us to anything bad. It doesn't matter how old you are as long as you can think through your descisons. Now look, I don't want to offend anyone, but deep down I am right.

Petty Officer
Sep 18, 2009
It is advised for 10+ because some parents don't wist their children to engage in stabbing, slicing, spearing, smashing or burning their enemies at age 5. Some kids are more advanced, some parents don't care, it is simply an advisement. As a parent, my kids don't get to download and play anything until I read reviews about it, check message boards, download, and play it myself for at least a couple hours. That is the best recommendation you can get on a game. You own judgement and opinion, for your own kids.

Ensign
Jun 08, 2010
I feel that the younger you are the easier it is to understand. when i was younger i used to understand a lot more things than my dad and now my son can understand more things than me. he has completed this game about three times and i am just getting into mooshu with my first character. but i have to agree that 10+ is just an advertisement just so parents can be aware of what sort of things can be exposed to the kids.

-Strong Sam Sharp lvl. 45