Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Batacuda's and Cutthroats

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 27, 2012
I have quests requiring killing/collecting batacuda's and cutthroat ships. but i can't figure out how to do it. I've read the players guide but couldn't find out anything there. I've tried dropping anchor, but still nothing. all the ships have lines through the circles. all of them. what am i doing? is there somewhere i can get info on how to do these two quests? i'm sure the info will be needed later, too. Please someone HELP! Aarrgg!

Ensign
Jun 08, 2011
For the batacudas, you just fly up to them and they start combat like on land. Try crossing the yellow (orange?) skyway when you first leave Skull Island. There's usually a good sized flock of them there.

I'm not sure why you are getting that symbol on all of the ships. Try flying in close to them, and circling around a few times to make sure that they see you. If they are in battle with someone else, you may get a dialogue box telling you to press "x" to join in combat.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
First, Batacudas and Cutthroat Ships are two different type quests although both are found in the air.

To fight a Batacuda, run into it with your ship and you will fight the Batacuda on your ship.

To fight Cutthroat Ships (or any ships for that matter), you must have, at the very least, Cannons, Figurehead, Wheel, and Sails equipped on your ship. Only the Cannons and Figurehead are used for attack.

What I do when I see a ship I might want to attack, I place the cursor/mouse on the ship and left click. This brings up the sight for the Cannons. If the sight is grey, you can't attack. If the sight is orange, you are in Long Range attack mode. If the sight is red, you are in short range attack move. Short range is where all cannons should work equally well.

At this point, the health of either ship matters. When it turns yellow, that ship can be boarded. If you board that ship (or they board you), you then finish the fight on the deck of both ships. If your crew is defeated, you will find yourself back at a Life Fountain. If you defeat them, you WIN and see their ship being destroyed. You get Naval and normal experience for this along with the credit for destroying a ship. This is the best way to get Gold and Loot (equipment and other things).

If you choose not to board, then to win you must destroy the ship with your Cannons and Figurehead. If you are destroyed, you will find yourself back at a Life Fountain. If you beat them, you get the experience (Naval and otherwise) and the credit for destroying a ship. Sometimes they leave debris which can be picked up using the 'x' key and this debris can contain ship parts, Loot, and Gold. So it depends on what you need as to which method you use.

Hope this helps! Good Luck.

Community Leader
ginnylk on Oct 22, 2012 wrote:
I have quests requiring killing/collecting batacuda's and cutthroat ships. but i can't figure out how to do it. I've read the players guide but couldn't find out anything there. I've tried dropping anchor, but still nothing. all the ships have lines through the circles. all of them. what am i doing? is there somewhere i can get info on how to do these two quests? i'm sure the info will be needed later, too. Please someone HELP! Aarrgg!
I sounds like the problem you are having with the cutthroat ships is that they are already being boarded by other players. When there is hand to hand combat going on on the deck of the ships, they cannot be fired upon. If all the enemy ships nearby are showing with yellow crossed out marks, just fly a little further to find a ship that isn't being engaged or you can sail up to the ship with the yellow mark and board them, which should also count for your quest (depending on the quest). As for the batacuda's, I think the posts above me give adequate info

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!