Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Baron Samedi's Standard could use a range buff.

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
I was thinking about it earlier today and did some math. The number of Undead units we get is actually quite small.

Here's a list of all the possible ally undead (excluding charmed enemy undead of course).

Melee: Shackled Soul (doubloon and Baron Samedi's Standard summon), Skeletal Warrior (summon), Ghost Singer, Martin Valvida, Skeletal Hoplite (summon), Bone Drake (summon), Grimtooth Reaper (pet), Skeletal Pirate (summon), Bosun Budd, Lost Ranger, Scrimshaw Drake (pet), Spiny Serpent (pet), SM Arson, Dead Mike.

Ranged: Old Scratch, Bones Mcgee, Skeletal Corsair (summon), Skeletal Crossbowman (doubloon summon), Holly Jolly Roger (seasonal), Skyfire.

Total Possible Undead Allies: 20 (14 melee, 6 ranged).

But wait, there's more. If you subtract all of the summons and pets, then we get some new totals now:

Melee: Ghost Singer, Lost Ranger, Dead Mike, S.M. Arson, Bosun Budd.

Ranged: Old Scratch, Bones Mcgee, Holly Jolly Roger (seasonal), Skyfire.

Total Possible Undead Allies: 9 (5 melee, 4 ranged).

But Wait, there's more. Now subtract all of the Crowns Shop exclusive and Seasonal companions and we get the following new totals now:

Melee: Ghost Singer, Lost Ranger, Dead Mike.

Ranged: Old Scratch, Bones Mcgee, Skyfire.

Total Possible Undead Allies: 6 (3 melee, 3 ranged).

Of these, Ghost Singer, Bones Mcgee and Skyfire are Witchdoctor exclusive companions, Lost Ranger is a Buccaneer exclusive companion, and Dead Mike is a Presidio only companion. In fact the only undead unit that everyone is guaranteed to get is Old Scratch.

So what does this have to do with the standard you ask? As it stands the standard only affects undead units in a one square range directly around it.

XXX
XSX
XXX

As you can see from the diagram above the S represents the standard while the X's represent the range of its granted buffs. When compared to the Beastmaster Standard (which has unlimited range) the range of the BSS is very very small and abysmal. Since the majority of Undead that we get are melee, this low banner range makes it so that they can't really capitalize on the bonuses that the banner provides as much as their ranged counterparts can. The only possible reason I can think of for this very small range is because Undead units tend to get allot of Epics and/or Powers to compensate for their generally low range and/or accuracy but still though even that might be a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

But what do you think? Should the Undead Banner receive an increase in range to at least 2 or 3 squares in front of it so that the melee Undead units can make better use of it than they can currently? Thanks in advance and as always thank you for your time.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Yar!

I support the call to both the standard!

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Oh yeah, I was just now reminded of another undead companion, Chilam Bak, the ranged undead companion from the Tribal Crew pack. So that's 21 undead total with only 11 of them playable.