Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Character Decision Help

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
Hi guys! So I am in the process of choosing my fourth character, a process that I take weirdly seriously. The only two classes that I haven't played yet are a swashbuckler and a buccaneer, so that should reveal at least something about me as a player (I prefer ranged, etc.) I am not stupid and like a challenge so if a one class desires more strategy than the other, please do tell! Anyways, I would love to hear opinions and thoughts especially about which one was just more fun in general! Thanks!

Petty Officer
Dec 20, 2012
If you want a challenge and something fun, choose a buccaneer, swash may be fun, but it seems to require less strategy than buccaneers. Buccaneer is also really fun to play (Though that may be bias because Buccaneer was my first class)

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Well for starters I highly recommend you play a different class which is either or

If you like to play defense I would reccomend you choose

Swashbucklers have defensive powers such as Gallant defense
Swashbucklers can hurl knives as a ranged attack and lower enemy movement
And lastly swashbucklers can poison their enemies which is engaging and in some cases a defensive move

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
xXLalacoolXx on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
Hi guys! So I am in the process of choosing my fourth character, a process that I take weirdly seriously. The only two classes that I haven't played yet are a swashbuckler and a buccaneer, so that should reveal at least something about me as a player (I prefer ranged, etc.) I am not stupid and like a challenge so if a one class desires more strategy than the other, please do tell! Anyways, I would love to hear opinions and thoughts especially about which one was just more fun in general! Thanks!
Okay, both are melee fighter class ( but you knew that ). They do, however, require different strategies - Buccaneers are tough, have the best health and armor stats in game - they are known for their charges and devastating hits.
Swashbucklers are sneaky, with less health and armor but more agile and dodgy, they attack from the shadows using backstabs and poisons.
I hope this small description helps you make a decision, and remember, which ever one you decide on, you still have space for 2 more pirates!
For an in-depth look at these classes; please read "What is a Swashbuckler?" and "What is a Buccaneer?" you can find these posts on the boards.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
qwerty78202 on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
If you want a challenge and something fun, choose a buccaneer, swash may be fun, but it seems to require less strategy than buccaneers. Buccaneer is also really fun to play (Though that may be bias because Buccaneer was my first class)
Obviously biased - you know nothing about the strategies a swash requires, this class requires just as much strategy as any class, including Buccaneer.

Petty Officer
Dec 20, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
Obviously biased - you know nothing about the strategies a swash requires, this class requires just as much strategy as any class, including Buccaneer.
I have played a swash before and i'm playing one now, the "strategies" swashes seem to "require" is just hide sneak attack, repeat.

Petty Officer
Dec 20, 2012
And plus, I know swash well. and do you know me well? no, you do not. you should not judge somebody before to get to know them anyways.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
qwerty78202 on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
I have played a swash before and i'm playing one now, the "strategies" swashes seem to "require" is just hide sneak attack, repeat.
I still say that an experienced buckler depends on more strategy than what you've just listed. If that's all you're depending on, certain battles will be more difficult. So, what do you do when hide isn't in your hand, what companions will you chose, what do they bring to the battle - everything a buck, privy, witch, musket has to know and do a buckler has , also, be able to face.
You don't know me, and I don't know you - but I defend any class from being belittled by snide, sniping comments.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Assuming this isn't talking about PVP and is talking about PVE, swashbuckler is the easiest class for PVE by an excessively long shot. Literally hide poison shield assassin wins every single battle in PVE ever, its easy to solo smugglers or tower of moo by simply doing this.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Between these powerhouse class one use sneak and one hit hard multiple times.

For I would highly recommend this class, up until Valencia 2 this is a very enjoyable class to play with. Belive it or not I have progressed very rapidly with this class,but not without a struggle. For character build I would choose the born in Moo Shu for Speedy a rear but powerful class or the Girzzlehim talent for health a more traditional build.

For another powerful and speedy class, I didn't struggle as much however I have progressed almost as rapidly.There is plenty of options for build Speedy a fast,powerful build.Sneaky a popular build or in my case born tough a rear, but more durable than the average .

Try creating one of each of these melee and see witch works best.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
To the original poster, well you can see the type of prejudice you'll be facing if you chose to be a swashbuckler, so, maybe it'd just be better for you to be a buccaneer.