Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why isn't Kane a privateer?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Minor spoiler warning if you haven't done book 15 yet before proceeding

So, the last fight of Valencia part 2 involves fighting Kane, the LEADER of the Armada but 1 thing I am surprised about is the fact that he is a buccaneer, here are some reasons he's better fit for a privy.

1. He uses a splashy weapon. Unlike Rooke and the axe wielding Armada Marines, Kane prefers a sword over an axe
2. He is the leader of the Armada, Privys are leaders too
3. His strength is only admired once in Avery's "Armada" puppet show where Avery says that Kane is "... smarter, faster and stronger than any living being." Meanwhile, his intelligence is admired multiple times in the dialogue, especially towards the end.
4. It would make him unique:
In the entirety of Book 15, there isn't a single Privy mob, if Kane was a privy, he would be unique.

Lvl 70
Lvl 46
Lvl 16

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
Minor spoiler warning if you haven't done book 15 yet before proceeding

So, the last fight of Valencia part 2 involves fighting Kane, the LEADER of the Armada but 1 thing I am surprised about is the fact that he is a buccaneer, here are some reasons he's better fit for a privy.

1. He uses a splashy weapon. Unlike Rooke and the axe wielding Armada Marines, Kane prefers a sword over an axe
2. He is the leader of the Armada, Privys are leaders too
3. His strength is only admired once in Avery's "Armada" puppet show where Avery says that Kane is "... smarter, faster and stronger than any living being." Meanwhile, his intelligence is admired multiple times in the dialogue, especially towards the end.
4. It would make him unique:
In the entirety of Book 15, there isn't a single Privy mob, if Kane was a privy, he would be unique.

Lvl 70
Lvl 46
Lvl 16
Not saying Kane shouldn't be, but maybe Phule is a Privateer?

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
anecorbie on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
Not saying Kane shouldn't be, but maybe Phule is a Privateer?
Considering Phule has a Wand and is dressed like a jester (Which is more associable with a spell caster than a leader in my opinion at least) I think it points toward him being a witchdoctor. As with Kane being a Privateer, I totally agree! He is the leader and i think he's more elegant than a buccaneer but not as elegant as a swashbuckler, so wouldn't privy fit perfectly?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 9, 2016 wrote:
Considering Phule has a Wand and is dressed like a jester (Which is more associable with a spell caster than a leader in my opinion at least) I think it points toward him being a witchdoctor. As with Kane being a Privateer, I totally agree! He is the leader and i think he's more elegant than a buccaneer but not as elegant as a swashbuckler, so wouldn't privy fit perfectly?
Bishop is the witchdoctor and don't most privateers use a staff or staff combo for the Will boost?
We now know the classes of the Elites:
Kane & Rooke
Queen
Deacon
Bishop
The only one left is Phule and he must be a .

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 9, 2016 wrote:
Bishop is the witchdoctor and don't most privateers use a staff or staff combo for the Will boost?
Kane & Rooke
Queen
Deacon
Bishop
Generally Privateers use a shield based weapon for defence, the wand is most likely for pvp sets to summon. I just hope we don't have to fight Phule, I love his character so much.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
It makes sense for Kane to be a privy IMO but he probably cannot be due to his reckless frenzy

I reckon that Phule is either a witch or privy but we are still to find out his role and Queens in the armada

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Kane & Rooke
Queen
Deacon
Bishop
I can see Phule as a privateer, he doesn't look like a witchdoctor in my opinion

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
Kane & Rooke
Queen
Deacon
Bishop
Also Phule's wand gives Witch Hunter, which is given to witchdoctors, I believe. Or at least witchdoctor companions, I only know one privy companion with WH which is a bison spirit you get in Cool Ranch.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
Also Phule's wand gives Witch Hunter, which is given to witchdoctors, I believe. Or at least witchdoctor companions, I only know one privy companion with WH which is a bison spirit you get in Cool Ranch.
Lucky Jack Russel gets Witch Hunter also

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
It makes sense for Kane to be a privy IMO but he probably cannot be due to his reckless frenzy

I reckon that Phule is either a witch or privy but we are still to find out his role and Queens in the armada
Doesn't matter, Pariss uses a discipline whenever he's a musketeer so it's not a big deal if a privateer Kane uses deadly frenzy since it's just a move

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The companions that get Witch Hunter are either Witch Doctors or Privateers. Gracie, Lucky Jack, Catbeard and the privateer ones in the Crown Shop are all capable of training Witch Hunter.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
That is interesting, because as I recall they had an update where ANY Privateer companion can train Witch hunter. This includes Marchioness, Emmet, Jack, Wing Chun, Catbeard, and that is just the main companions on the top of my head. Considering how some Privateers like using staves it is not too far out to think Phule is a privateer.

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
Kane & Rooke
Queen
Deacon
Bishop
Woah, woah, woah, slow down. Not trying to be rude, but things don't always have to fit in, Kane AND Rooke are both buccaneer, that means Phule still can be a witchdoctor, don't jump to conclusions. Phule doesn't have to be, personally I don't see natural born leaders as somewhat insane schizophrenic robots, but each to their own.

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013
Kane definitely does look like a Privateer. He is a Leader, has a slashy sword, has an Elite Court to do his bidding... He overall seems like the Privateer type. But, I will say, not everything is what it seems.

Let me give you an example,

Hoodoo Cornelius, a companion from the Hoodoo Bundle is a Witch Doctor. You'd expect the monkey to be a ranged combatant, but NO. He is a melee attacked and walks up to Enemies.

Kane is similar in the fact that most "Natural Born Leaders" are Privateers, but he is a Buccaneer. It may have to do with the fact that he is very close to Rooke. Literally, He always teleports to Rooke when Rooke is hit. Maybe the Buck in Rooke rubbed off on Kane??

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 12, 2016 wrote:
Woah, woah, woah, slow down. Not trying to be rude, but things don't always have to fit in, Kane AND Rooke are both buccaneer, that means Phule still can be a witchdoctor, don't jump to conclusions. Phule doesn't have to be, personally I don't see natural born leaders as somewhat insane schizophrenic robots, but each to their own.
Well, Wolf, considering that there are 6 Elites and only 5 classes; one of them is bound to double up. And frankly, the ONLY class not represented is Privateer and the ONLY Elite without a class is Phule; its only logical to match the two.
If you've bothered to read Phule's Rogues Gallery, you'll notice the comment that Phule has commanded forces, so obviously Phule is a Privateer.
BTW, he's neither insane nor schizophrenic, if you look at what he says and not how he says it.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
The companions that get Witch Hunter are either Witch Doctors or Privateers. Gracie, Lucky Jack, Catbeard and the privateer ones in the Crown Shop are all capable of training Witch Hunter.
Yes true but something to think about is that before this change was made to privateer companions Phule's Wand still had the Witch Hunter epic equipped on his wand

I think it's settled, unless there is more to discuss Phule has to be a witchdoctor

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 12, 2016 wrote:
What do you bet I could find historic examples of insane leaders ( megalomaniacs, if not schizophrenic ) of armies and countries.

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
Well, Wolf, considering that there are 6 Elites and only 5 classes; one of them is bound to double up. And frankly, the ONLY class not represented is Privateer and the ONLY Elite without a class is Phule; its only logical to match the two.
If you've bothered to read Phule's Rogues Gallery, you'll notice the comment that Phule has commanded forces, so obviously Phule is a Privateer.
BTW, he's neither insane nor schizophrenic, if you look at what he says and not how he says it.
Okay, to clarify, the schizophrenic robot part was a joke.

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
Also, it doesn't mean he HAS to be Privateer. Not everything has to fit in like that. Only way i can see him being one is that Kane is a perfectionist, so he made Phule a privy to fit into his list.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 13, 2016 wrote:
Also, it doesn't mean he HAS to be Privateer. Not everything has to fit in like that. Only way i can see him being one is that Kane is a perfectionist, so he made Phule a privy to fit into his list.
Just because he has a wand doesn't mean he HAS to be a witchdoctor either, there are melee witchdoctor enemies and even ranged swashbucklers so what would be the problem with Phule being a privy?

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
Adam Wintersinger on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
Just because he has a wand doesn't mean he HAS to be a witchdoctor either, there are melee witchdoctor enemies and even ranged swashbucklers so what would be the problem with Phule being a privy?
There is one melee witch I can recall, which is Hoodoo Cornelius, and I can't recall a ranges Swashie.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
There is one melee witch I can recall, which is Hoodoo Cornelius, and I can't recall a ranges Swashie.
Doctor Noh is also a melee witchdoctor and there are wharf rats that are swashbucklers that are ranged (not sure where)

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Adam Wintersinger on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
And a ranged Buccaneer!
Also regarding WolfRaven's post about knowing only one melee witch, there are quite a few melee witches both friend and foe

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wolf RavenBlood on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
Captain Kidd, St. Fido's, Port Regal.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jul 15, 2016 wrote:
Captain Kidd, St. Fido's, Port Regal.
I haven't been in St Fido's for a while but I do believe that Captain Kidd is a musketeer rather than swashbuckler
After all (not sure on this too) but when I take the trivia quizzes choosing musketeer when asked what class Captain Kidd is, will be the correct answer

The only ranged swashbucklers I am aware of are some Wharf Rats who infest skull island, they throw knives and use pistols