Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why does it take so long??

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
decius, is there a reason it takes so long to get a pet to Max level? It takes a day to get it level 30 then about 3 weeks or a month to get it to Max. This feels ridiculous, if there's a reason for it then I'll give a bit but if there's not can I give some ideas on how to fix this?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Go train pets in Wizard101 for a while. Then you will appreciate Pirate101's pet system, trust me.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
I'm not talking about making us stay in one location with interactive pet training ( why does everyone go straight to that?) I mean just cutting down the time it takes to Max out our pets. As it is now it can take up to a month to do so (probably even more than that). And don't give me the "use crowns" thing I like this game but honestly, how many people are willing to burn upwards of 60+ crowns ( 60 to 80 dollars) on one or two pets to get them to Max? And then do so again and again with possibly no end in sight?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
piratical505 on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
I'm not talking about making us stay in one location with interactive pet training ( why does everyone go straight to that?) I mean just cutting down the time it takes to Max out our pets. As it is now it can take up to a month to do so (probably even more than that). And don't give me the "use crowns" thing I like this game but honestly, how many people are willing to burn upwards of 60+ crowns ( 60 to 80 dollars) on one or two pets to get them to Max? And then do so again and again with possibly no end in sight?
It's like anything, really. At first you see great strides, because you're coming from a place nothing to something. After a while, you get so good at a thing that you don't see improvement as quickly.

And really, with the pets in Pirate you can use them as they're training anyway. It's not like you lose access to that pet while it's busy improving. With Wizard you are either training or adventuring, not both.

I don't think Indigo was talking about the interactive aspect, but the fact that the best your pet can do to improve is four points for a perfect training session. That's a drop in a bucket when the pet takes 2K to improve. Even giving it high-level pet snacks doesn't do much boosting, when 56 points might be the most you can give one. Here we spend a bit of time telling the pet what to improve and tossing it a snack as it finishes, but at least we know the pets are getting some more experience than the four points + snack that Wizard pets get. The training regimens that give the most experience usually take longer or require more unusual equipment. That's fair enough.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
The thing is, you're getting a pet to MAX LEVEL. Maxing anything in any game should not be as easy as 1,2,3.

Community Leader
Indigo Ring on Jun 24, 2016 wrote:
Go train pets in Wizard101 for a while. Then you will appreciate Pirate101's pet system, trust me.

-Indigo
Not really a good comparison.
Well equipped players in Wizard101 can develop pets quite successfully in a single day without spending nearly as many crowns. I can train a pet from baby to mega in just a few hours in Wizard101.
Sure I have to buy some energy, but its a lot cheaper than paying to finish a training session in Pirate101 which charges depending on the remaining time.

I also have a lot more "control" with the talents that are available/manifest in Wizard101. Not true control, but its not that hard.

Seems to me they looked at all the "tricks" we were using to be successful with Pet development in Wizard101, and changed the system enough to eliminate their use. :)

Its all good, no complaints, but they do not compare.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Dr Zeppers on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
Not really a good comparison.
Well equipped players in Wizard101 can develop pets quite successfully in a single day without spending nearly as many crowns. I can train a pet from baby to mega in just a few hours in Wizard101.
Sure I have to buy some energy, but its a lot cheaper than paying to finish a training session in Pirate101 which charges depending on the remaining time.

I also have a lot more "control" with the talents that are available/manifest in Wizard101. Not true control, but its not that hard.

Seems to me they looked at all the "tricks" we were using to be successful with Pet development in Wizard101, and changed the system enough to eliminate their use. :)

Its all good, no complaints, but they do not compare.
It's funny - we agree that they can't be compared but for entirely different reasons.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but it's interesting that I have an almost 180 degree polar opposite view of it than you. I find the P101 system to be vastly superior than W101 both in ease of use and in training options. In many ways you're correct - there's no comparison because it's like comparing apples to spark plugs. In P101 the talent/power scale is set at 3/3 where in W101 there's no guarantee. You might get all "selfish" talents in W101 where you're certain to get at least 3 attack/grant powers in P101. Maybe 4 if you're lucky at level 70. And being able to train pets on-the-fly, or even while I'm sleeping, is incredibly handy.
Not to mention having to budget your energy in W101 for use in 3 different activities.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
( Why does everyone go straight to that? )
Because it's true. I've trained a pet here faster than in Wizard and without the inconvenience of stopping what I'm doing and playing stupid, mind-numbing games; and being able to train more than one pet at a time. I don't even have to be on-line to train a pet! ( Try saying that about Wizard pets. ) I have got more than one pet to max level before the update and have a few cherished pets now at the update's current max level.
You don't need to expend crowns on "fast growth" nor
@ DR. Zeppers: need to spend crowns to buy energy.
The P101 system of training pets is fast ( or faster than W101, anyway ) and efficient.
There is always someone willing to find something to complain about.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
"I also have a lot more 'control' with the talents that are available/manifest in Wizard101. Not true control, but its not that hard."

Elaborate, please, Dr. Z. I was under the impression that the passing of abilities to offspring worked largely the same way in both games.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
Hmm you've all made interesting points but nothing to change the solid fact: it can take up to ten hours, and far more than that, to gain ONE level in for your pet in this game. I suppose it's fine when your going along the main storyline, because that takes long enough to make up for it. When I finished the storyline, I wanted to spend a lot of time with my pets, but there's no option for that! What I mean is there are people who would like the option of spending more time with their pets, but they can't do that unless they pay up. Now I understand nothing should be "as easy as 1,2,3" in a game, but it feels ridiculous to not be able to get my pet where I want it without paying on and off again attention to it for possibly a month. Yeah in wizard if you pay a ton of attention to your pet to the point it gets agonizing you can Max it out in a day But in pirate the closest I have to that is getting it to 30 in a day. My point I would just like the option to be able Max it in about a week, I understand not everyone is of a similar opinion, but I know there are those who are.

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
Also can we please get off the subject of wizards training system? It's not pirates and that's what we're discussing.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
I won't presume to speak for everyone that's made a comment on your OP but I think a lot of folks, myself included, don't get what the hurry is. It seems like every other post is regarding the time it takes to do things in the game... not just pet training but every aspect of the game. For something that for most people is a leisurely pastime it sure seems like they want to get through it in the quickest time possible. It takes too long to farm for stuff. It takes too long to finish that quest. It takes too long to train my pet. Hurry, hurry, hurry - having fun is taking too long!
Sure, it would be nice if pets popped out of the egg at level 70, maxed out energy and a pocket full of epics. But part of the enjoyment (for some) is working to level up that pet. If it's possible to form a bond with an imaginary digital sidekick I suppose our pet would be a prime candidate. When you've spent the time and energy to set them to task, farm for their snacks etc. it puts you on a more personal level with them.
We all have to understand that KI produces these games for financial gain and it's in their best interests to design the game to keep people playing. The more quickly we can accomplish things within the game the more quickly we can finish the game. After we finish there will be some who'll opt not to continue. Obviously from a money standpoint this is not good for KI. The object is to keep people around and the longer it takes to do things within the game the longer people will play. So there is a method to their madness and personally I see nothing wrong with that. There will be those who want to blow through the game and move on... and most of them will realize at the start that this is probably not their cup of tea.
I appreciate that you're aware not everyone is of the same opinion on this subject. Maybe I'm stating the obvious in my comments but I think it's something to consider when discussing subjects like this one.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I agree with TucsonWizard. I want excellent pets for my pirates. I don't mind investing time and gold in developing them. Same with farming for good gear. You want the best stuff, you are probably going to need to be persistent and patient.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
okay I have an idea, my problem is that I don't want training your pet to gain in time needed to max, excessively I mean. but there are those who like to wait and see training their pets as a long-time commitment worth it, and I can respect that. also it is in ki's interest to keep people playing this game, so if that means making it super tough to get their primo pet then so be it. but honestly I do still believe a system allowing for players who want to get that pet quicker is more than deserved by those who want it. so I have an idea: a system that would allow those players to gain up to 5 "counters" that would shorten the amount of time a pet needs to complete all of its task, making it so you could get that pet to max in 4 days to a week, now these counters would cost scrip, the first one costing 200, next 250, after that 300 and so on. I don't want it to be so that as the game grows in the future the amount of time to max out pets will not only grow as it should, but do so to a ridiculously high amount. when you have to wait 2 days to gain one level for your pet, your not doing a side activity, your playing a different game. anyway this is my idea to help out all those pet trainers that want a speedier road to max and make it so if you like the slow and steady route that's still a viable option. decius could I get you thoughts?

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
With some careful planning of what tasks to run and a good selection of pet snacks it shouldn't take you weeks, only a few days. You can also be leveling multiple pets at one time, shortening the overall time to raise more than 1.

Have fun and try to make sure you are feeding your pets snacks they like or love.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Decius Duelmaster on Jul 5, 2016 wrote:
With some careful planning of what tasks to run and a good selection of pet snacks it shouldn't take you weeks, only a few days. You can also be leveling multiple pets at one time, shortening the overall time to raise more than 1.

Have fun and try to make sure you are feeding your pets snacks they like or love.
I know this probably couldn't be done, in the scope of the programming...but it would amazing if there was some sort of pet auto-train system in place.

While it is true that it can only take a few days to get a pet to max level, that is only providing you have time to get in the game and feed and train that little critter. Throughout the lower levels of training and growing a pet, the levels go pretty fast. But many players aren't able to stay in game for long stretches to keep those pets progressing. So even though it may take only 10 minutes to get to the next level, then 12 to the next, 14 to the next...and so on, some may not be able to be in game in order to keep up with the training. So by the time they get off work, those 15 minutes it should've taken to level up a pet, in reality took 9-10 hours to do so. The pet may have only grown 1 level in 10 hours when it could've leveled up a great many more (if in-game to train/feed).

Again, I know it is wishful thinking but I think it would be awesome if there was a way that we could put just one pet on auto-train. While we are gone for long periods of time the pet could be set to at least train in the same event, get fed the same snack and then reset again automatically...over and over, while taking into account the Energy timers. This would possibly only work for one pet at a time and would limit it's training until we could cancel it, change it or reset it. But at least the pet could gain levels/stats while we are away for long periods of time. It probably wouldn't be doable in regards to programming and how the servers/accounts work, but if so it would really help someone train up a specific pet much quicker. Due to limited chances to log in and train, a pet really can take me weeks to reach max-- only because I can't keep it active, from not being in game to do so.

But you're 100% right, if you can be in game often, the training does fly by and it can only take mere days for a pet to reach max level.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Alright, this may be a bit late, but just thought I'd share this wonderful guide to pet leveling! Once I looked at it and started using it, my pets were leveling much faster. It's very in-depth and gives an excellent explanation. However, I'll let Leah share the details with you HERE. Good luck with all the training!

-James