Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

So, about Book 15... (SPOILERS)

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
Thank you for answering my first questions, Blind Mew. I have a couple more for you now...

1. I have noticed many similarities between Pirate101 and Star Wars, most notably in the Armada. Was this intentional, and if so, are you gonna do more?

2. So, early on in the game, we passed by Dragonspyre for a bit to get to Aragon skyway. Do you plan to bring us back to the red skies of Dragonspyre, or was it just a small throwback to Wizard101?

3. Are you planning to make El Dorado a long-ish world, or is it just gonna be for the final battle of arc 1?

Ensign
May 09, 2014
Blind Mew on Jun 21, 2016 wrote:
(continued)

As I was saying, I need your help.

This game has an amazing community of players - I will forever be humbled by your support, your loyalty and your patience. And the truth is: the more of you we have, the more content we can create. We're probably going to be painting on a smaller canvas in any potential future updates, but I want that canvas to be as big as possible. That's where you come in.

Go out and recruit new players. We'll keep reaching out as well, but we need your help. Tell your friends how much you like this game. Grassroots evangelizing was a big part of Wizard's success, and it can work for Pirate too. If even half the people reading these words bring in just one player and help them get through the first chapters, so much becomes possible. You want more content, and we want to produce it. The best way to get that content made, and made quickly, is to fill the skies with new ships.

Okay, so maybe this post isn't as long as I originally thought it would be. There's a lot more to say, but I figure this is a good point to open it up for conversation. Any questions?
what if kane never died? I mean kane is the smartest being in the spiral he would know not to mess with us! But why did he? kane has easily made some sort of daupleganger so he could already be in el dorado!? Waiting for us to "TRY" to defeat him. SOOooooooOooo when he said queen was his GREATEST creation he wasn't lying he made queen to KILL us. so he made the queen in el dorado along with another version of rooke and deacon and kanes daupleganger! Case closed kane is in el dorado and the queen went to him after she came back to life! THIS IS JUST A THEORIE I USED INFORMATION I KNEW TO PUT IN THIS THEORIE AGAIN THIS IS FAKE ALL OF THIS POPPED INTO MY BRAIN! But what do you think

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
will the imperial skyway ever make a return in pirate? I was thinking that if the "lost islands" in florenza skyway ever have to become side quest material, we could be summoned to the imperial skyway and have to be sent as an emissary to Valencia city, since we did have quite the impact on valencia as a whole. we could clean up the rest of the armada, rescue king casmire, blah blah, blah. also what's gonna happen to cadiz without kane? can we go there now since he's dead? I would love to go there and have it be the place where I could finally get a valencian warship! man I have wanted one since I saw what rookes destroyed one looked like, I have fan pics of one to! so if we get to cadiz... what are the chances of getting a valencian warship there? (please be SUPER high!)

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
also in wizard101 in kishibe village we learned of a monk called chang su who abandoned his post to help fight for mooshu during the emperors sickness. could he make a comeback in pirate? we never even met him in wizard, all we saw was a picture of a gerbil. he seems perfect for pirate, a warrior, a rouge monk, perfect pirate material.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Well, I understand, Blind Mew. If you say it's practically impossible to do a reboot to Book 15, I understand completely. Would be a bit more specific to reasons why, likely any one would do. Would be nice to know an explanation on why it is practically impossible. If you've time to answer, would you be a bit more descriptive on why it is? Just asking.

Nevertheless, I get ya.

There is one other question, even though it's music-related. I really enjoyed the unique cutscene music heard in The Machine Core's scene where Kane destroys the Golden Heart and ends Gazpaccio by himself. Really brought some drama in, even though bits of it are mostly recycled from Kane's Theme in that instance.

Regardless, if the 2nd Arc comes in, would unique cutscene themes become a more important mainstay in that arc & onwards, even to side content updates? W101 had some amazing unique cutscene themes that really got the story engaging, especially Khrysalis' ending, Polaris at moments(moments where Rasputin hypnotizes Ivan to do his bidding & leaves the Frigid Maw with the large gem on the Kalypso being the prime exceptions, 'cause there's no unique cutscene themes in them), & Castle Darkmoor's ending, so even with Valencia II that gave a more abrupt short ending, I really hope unique cutscene themes will be more common in the 2nd Arc & onwards.

Speaking of which, there's apparently no unique cutscene music in the scene where Kane's Golden Brain gets ripped out of his face & head and taken away by The Machine. It felt kinda hollow. Could you ask the KI sound & music team to add in new music to that scene?

Those are some music-related questions I've asked. Please pass these on to the KI sound & music team. Thanks!

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
So, About Book 15...yeah right. Mew should change the title to "Question pileup".

Anyways, Mew, did you play any Star Fox games? What did you think?

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
1. First letter of the next skyway?

2. When the old Book 15 was coming up, you said we'd visit 2 out of the 3 in the El Dorado arc: Krokotopia, Rajah, and Darkmoor. Does that still apply? I'd prefer Krokotopia and Rajah, but at least if we go to Darkmoor we might get a cool ship.

ok that's it for now

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 3, 2016 wrote:
I just thought of a couple other "purely curious" kind of inquiries.

A while back it came to my attention that Captain Avery had an interesting first name. Well, more specifically that his name, Horace, meant Timekeeper in Latin. At the time that proved thought-provoking & I had wondered if it was merely a, "this would be cool to go along with the game's ticky-tocky story", kind of thingy. Or was this merely a case of happenstance. Or...or...hopefully, perhaps was this done by intentions? And giving Avery the name of Horace --again meaning Timekeeper-- indeed held a deeper mystery to which we would possibly uncover later on, as the story unfolds? Also, if by some chance it was a "hidden gem", did the altering of the story's course thus alter us pirates unearthing the gem? Again-- probably merely a clever insert. But curiosity always nearly does in this cat.

Also...

Did Phule, or his name, come from Asprin's series of books? I know there are many nods to many Sci-fi works, in the game & I was just wondering if this was one of those? I had also read somewhere that in biblical terms phule can interpret as "tribe/family". Is there any significance within the character Phule & the use of that name?

I know that I am probably digging waaaaay to deep...but I am a pirate after all.

***EDIT/NOTE*** Thank you, BM, for the awesome reply to my first post. I did actually know about Cagliostro (the real-life figure). I had just stumbled upon the comics- warlock, Cagliostro (also based upon the historical "version")-- and had even read about a Cogliostro. The Cog part sparked interests. Many characters found in P101 --Desdemona, Contessa, Mordecai, Deacon, Bishop, Kane and more-- share their names with comics/literary counterparts. So, I guess I kind of hoped that I had stumbled upon something pretty cool (more cool than the story already is) and that maybe the story/characters had been driven from the comics universe.

Again, thank you for the wonderful link to your past.
Hello there, Mr. Mew! I wasn't sure if maybe you missed my last batch of questions or maybe they were a bit too peculiar in nature to warrant replies. And trust me, I would understand if the latter was the case-- heck I thought them up, so I know they are rather odd questions. But they are based upon my research and interesting findings.

But if given the time, would you be so kind as to reply, if even just for the sake of entertaining a nutball like myself? I quoted the post in which I asked the questions, for easier referencing.

But just to sum up....

Is there any significance in Avery's first name, Horace, meaning Timekeeper? Was it done by design? And if so, was it done just for cool kicks or does it possibly bear some "that would be telling", greater importance left for us to discover in the future?

Also, did Phule's name appear as a nod to Asprin's series of books?....and as a way to tie in to the jester aspect of The Court. Also, did you know that Phule is interpreted in some biblical aspects, as meaning 'family' or 'tribe'? If you did happen to know that, is there any hidden significance to giving him that name (besides the obvious)?

Again, I realize these may be strange questions but I'm digging for hidden treasures, here. And I believe you once said (recently I believe), "always question everything"...or something like that.

Thank you!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Thank you for the reply, Blind Mew. Yeah...sometimes I can be a bit slow as well.

'No, his name of Horace had no greater significance than that it began with H. Captain Avery is a nod to Henry Every (or Avery, depending on how the writer decided to spell it), and we didn't want him to have exactly the same name. So we went with an H name that we liked.'

Once again it appears I have dug way too deep, or on the wrong beach, and over speculated. Dagnabbit...ah well, it was fun letting my imagination run wild-- err, wilder that is. I'm very familiar with Henry Every/Evory/Avery, as I have always enjoyed real-life 'piratin'-- even partaking in multiple reports in my way-back, schooling days. I guess my inner Sherlock hoped to unlock some kind of underground, behind-the-scenes mystery. Or at least go on a good ol' investigative journey. Knowing that you were a big fan of Doctor Who, I had kind of hoped that you, seemingly to me, not choosing Hugh as an alternative 'H' name (to represent the real-life Henry Avery) pointed towards some cool, hidden agenda. With Hugh being the first name of the actor that played Doctor Who's, Captain Avery. In my mind (and on paper too) I crafted a wild ride of a twist to the P101 story, because I just thought Hugh was too good of a 'H'-name (and nod to Who's Hugh) to pass up...and furthermore that you purposely (again, in my mind) going with an 'H'-name that meant 'Timekeeper', just had to mean something spectacular. Lol, I have a lot of goose chases that lead to this 'fox' getting 'hounded'.

So...fantastic job on subconsciously (and without even trying) creating an environment that breeds wild speculation, goose-chasing, and adventurous unraveling. Very well done!!

Now I just need to look for something else to dig into...or chase after.....

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Why were Boochbeard and Gandry looking for us?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions, Blind Mew.

I have another one, which is probably very inconsequential... but maybe there is yet more intrigue hidden within! Why is Martin Chambers' ship named 'The Pretender'? Mr. Chambers appears to be a Marleybonian by world origin. Does the name of his ship give honor to another claimant to the throne of Marleybone, one who is of oh, say, 'Sheepdog' origin rather than 'Corgi'? Is there another internal conflict in Marleybone with others challenging Queen Ellen's (if I remember her name correctly) right to the throne, particularly from an Albion claimant?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 26, 2016 wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions, Blind Mew.

I have another one, which is probably very inconsequential... but maybe there is yet more intrigue hidden within! Why is Martin Chambers' ship named 'The Pretender'? Mr. Chambers appears to be a Marleybonian by world origin. Does the name of his ship give honor to another claimant to the throne of Marleybone, one who is of oh, say, 'Sheepdog' origin rather than 'Corgi'? Is there another internal conflict in Marleybone with others challenging Queen Ellen's (if I remember her name correctly) right to the throne, particularly from an Albion claimant?
Yes, good question! Is there a "Jacobite" element in P101?

Petty Officer
May 13, 2010
In one of the latest background profiles (Can't remember which character) it mentioned someone named Goatbeard. If (when) all goes well and the story moves forward is this a character we will have to "deal" with such as Ratbeard and Catbeard?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
You know, Blind Mew, when we first heard about Valencia II, we were excited to go back there, and undergo many adventures to learn how to defeat Kane. It sounded amazing.

Then when we heard word it would be arc 1's end, we were heavily baffled to hear that, until you cleared all that up.

While we understand all that, we had thoughts on it's outcome before it went to Test. I didn't even get the feeling o' being completely sick of Kane, the Armada, and their evil ways & ultimately want to take them all down once and for all.

We thought the shortened ending would segue the events into a False Ending, like Kane not being really gone and someone within the Armada would rise up to take his place while he's "gone", whereas the new villain would already become the next Big Bad by the time that's done.

That kinda gave the "False Victory, Act 1 False Ending" vibe upon some that made it there that made it look like the main enemy was believed to be gone, but in reality, he wasn't gone, he only hid in a secluded place to prepare for another go at the heroes, that kinda thing.

So, I have to ask you this, is this the case with the "False Victory, Act 1 False Ending" bit? Some sure seem to think so.

Plus, I may need to ask you, think we may see some incomplete palaces as lesser villains' lairs in the 2nd arc along the way? I really liked the idea of infiltrating a lesser enemy lair while it's still incomplete, like in Zafaria's Black Palace in W101. Why, Librarian Fitzhume even liked the idea o' seeing more like that later on.

I would like to see those made in some later story updates, & maybe even some side content updates, to come. Would you imagine incomplete lesser villains' palaces in the 2nd arc's storyline & ongoing? I would.

Hope you can answer these questions. Thanks!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I got a couple more questions:

1. Why are Louis' promotion quests so similar to each other? They have almost the exact same goal- going to Lucius Fox to upgrade his weapon.

2. In a past post, you stated how you mainly only play musketeers- does that still hold true?

3. Will the side companions all classes recruit, such as Ju Hao and Rooster Cogburn, get speaking promotions, or will it just be paying to promote?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Oh! There is one other question I almost forgot to ask...

Thinking about Valencia II, this led me to ask this, will there be planned trips to past worlds while the story goes on time to time? I'm fine with exploring more new worlds, but these words led me to think of whichever possibilities of returning to past worlds to explore new Skyways & lands, like Monquista II, Marleybone II, MooShu II, Aquila II, E.G..

There's plenty o' possibilities for expansions to past worlds, & I can imagine so many. Can you? I know they're inevitable someday, & may be P101's mainstay.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew, I've been thinking...

Since Arc 2's gonna be on the way, I should ask you this, would P101 have a returning & more increased focus on dynamic & cinematic storytelling & have them taken to a new level starting with Arc 2 & onwards?

Let's think on this. I really enjoyed how Book 15 had some dynamic & cinematic storytelling in the end, & it led me to think, should this kinda storytelling keep on going in P101? I would think so. My thoughts on it, well, it should have more moments of dynamic & cinematic storytelling, along with more unique cutscene themes heard in them with them, to really have the great sense of it's storyline being exciting & engaging.

So, if you can answer this, along with some questions you've not answered yet, know that I'll look forward to it & more.

Plus, with what you said about promotion quests, & how much time & resources it takes compared to making side quests in Books, I can presume they'll be less frequent in main story updates & will likely be better suited for some side content updates at times?

Well, it's understandable that they take the longest times to implement than story updates, & I don't blame ya. I had thoughts that there would be a more simpler & quicker way to have new promo quests, but, I would presume not. I can hope that there's still at least some more to come without having to interfere with & delay the story updates.

1 more thing... what will you & the others at the MMO Live Team do to keep alleviating our boredom while we wait for the story to continue again? I know, you don't talk schedule, but give us even one hint to let us know what's on the way to P101.

My thanks!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Questions for Blind Mew:

1) Cadiz!! I fully expected us to visit there, but we never did. Will we, eventually?

2) Weak Valencian Steel. I thought this would be a part of the plot to defeat Kane. No?

3) Will we ever meet Erika the Red?

4) The seers below Delphi. They erased early memories. What was the purpose of that? So we could ignore the differences of how our parents died?

5) Why do all of the shops in Marleybone have sharks hanging from the ceiling? Even ones that supposedly sell fruit!

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2012
Also blind mew, one last thing, Throughout the last couple of worlds we have seen a decrease in witch doctors as enemies or even npcs. Why am I asking you about this? Well it occurs to me that the world's with really no witchdoctors are ones ruled by technology not magic, for instance in marleybone and Valencia save Bishop (who really doesn't count that much) there literally no witchdoctor enemies. Which makes sense because magic isn't practiced in those two worlds, but is a bit of an issue, with no higher-ranked witchdoctor bosses to fight that puts a bit of a damper on the gear witch can get, the most farmed gear for witchdoctors are under-leveled. Moo Manchus wand phules wand. And there are things like the champions weapons, the staff of power, and the nefarious staff, but those feel universal since every class gets a weapon from those instances. For an example: many people like to farm the axe of the Minotaur lords, or the blades of the shade, hyskoss falchion, the sword of talos, etc. But compared to these what high level witchdoctor bosses drop gear, heck even in Aquila only Medea drops her staff the other witchdoctor bosses drop nothing. What I'm saying is that history says that what kind of world you venture to tells much of what weapons and gear you can get from it. So please let the new world be one that includes witchdoctor enemies. I want higher level bosses to fight and get better weapons from, not to mention that since epic talents have made a sort of eruption basic damage has had a bit of a higher impact on gameplay so weaponry for each class has come to mean much more than it did. So please with that in mind choose a world where I can fight beings that use magic. You choose not only the story blind mew, but your decisions also define how the gamers will play the game, however indirectly.

Petty Officer
Mar 31, 2016
Hello Blind Mew! I'm not sure if anybody has asked this yet or not, but I had a couple questions about Krokotopia.

When we finished Aquila, I was always under the impression that the Rosetta Stone would lead us back to Valencia firstly, and then to Krokotopia, since one of the languages is Krokotopian. I've always wondered, were we every meant to visit this world? And if we were (without giving any details of course), how would this have affected or shifted the story?

Also a question about Monquista: I always felt like this world was very short, and there is at least one more skyway at the end of Tierra Primata Skyway. In the original books 15-20, would we every visit these skyway(s)?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CuriousWitch on Sep 9, 2016 wrote:
Hello Blind Mew! I'm not sure if anybody has asked this yet or not, but I had a couple questions about Krokotopia.

When we finished Aquila, I was always under the impression that the Rosetta Stone would lead us back to Valencia firstly, and then to Krokotopia, since one of the languages is Krokotopian. I've always wondered, were we every meant to visit this world? And if we were (without giving any details of course), how would this have affected or shifted the story?

Also a question about Monquista: I always felt like this world was very short, and there is at least one more skyway at the end of Tierra Primata Skyway. In the original books 15-20, would we every visit these skyway(s)?
There was no reason to visit Krokotopia - as you remember, we got the translation to the languages in Marleybone.
The Stone was there to allow us to learn the coded message on the clockwork birds, that's all.

Petty Officer
Mar 31, 2016
anecorbie on Sep 9, 2016 wrote:
There was no reason to visit Krokotopia - as you remember, we got the translation to the languages in Marleybone.
The Stone was there to allow us to learn the coded message on the clockwork birds, that's all.
Yeah, I suppose that is true. I guess I just saw them introducing something of Krokotopia like that that there would be more reason than just translating, but in retrospect that doesn't make much sense to me now that I think about it.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2010
To Blind Mew: Thank you. For your stories, your nods to our childhoods, and your talks. I have played Pirate since almost the beginning. I never got on the boards before. But after reading all your story threads over the last three days, thoughts in my head could not stay there.

The first thought I had had a question behind it, but it had to be put on the back burner for my second thought. I wanted to let you know that your personal quest that you have spoken about on these boards several times (about if anything you do leads one person to pick up one book or discover one new thing then it was all worth it) came true. Because of you and your writing and giving homages to our pop culture and using real history to bring this play world to life, I did something I am remiss that I never did in my 40+ years. I picked up Treasure Island at my local library. Yes I've known the story since grade school. I knew the hero and the villain, and that all other pirates were built off the crew, but I never took the time to know the story. Second, my wife thought Long John Silver was just a seafood chain. Now, I also get to share the story with her. I have started going through the game for other references to share with her.

Now back to my first thought. I was so surprised when you twice stated that Skull Island was based on the Caribbean . The numerous allusions to things in the Pacific had me sure that it was Polynesian. For those that may have missed these. The natives are to me obviously platypi native to Oceania. Their ships and canoes are outriggers from Polynesia. The island Rapa Nui is the native name for Easter Island. Waponi Wu (named for the island in the movie "Joe Versus the Volcano" set in the south Pacific) has the volcano, and more volcanic activity happens in the Ring of Fire in the Pacific than the Caribbean. Even the name Skull Island is the modern name for the island of King Kong (as others before me on these boards have stated). Continued.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2010
That island was off the coast of Sumatra. Even having it be to home of the pirate republic of Avery. In the real world, Henry Every's pirate kingdom was believed to be on Madagascar. So I suppose that my question from this is did Skull Island start out as the Caribbean to be in line with the current mega franchise and evolve to be an "every ocean" being what ever large body of water fit the story. Or did you always mean it to be something different and only those that dug deeper by reading and watching and researching would find out? And you just stated Caribbean to give the easy answer that everybody expected.

My third thought is to beg you, PLEASE, please please !! DO NOT scrap Able. I know you wrote about him because you thought that there was no use for him, but he may be more useful than you realize. I know that a pirate at this point would have no use for him since his brother is defeated, but I believe Pirate has much use for him. Able seems to be the very thing that could kill two birds with one stone. The community is asking over and over for a Clockwork companion, and devs are looking for recruitment. As I said pirates have no use to go looking for Able and quest for his missing parts, he's of no use to them now and pirates aren't the type of people that do things that don't profit them. But, there is a whole base of people who would look into that just for scholarly pursuit. Of course, I mean wizards. I think you should definitely look into the marketing ploy used by tv producers and comic book publishers for decades to draw people from a higher rated title to another. The almighty cross-over. And I'm not talking having players interact. Already know that doesn't work. But, bringing a piece of the story over to Wizard, whetting the appetite of some of the players there for the story beyond the FTP areas. And what self respecting wizard wouldn't want to study how to build a person a la Frankenstein. Continued.

Ensign
Jun 06, 2010
And if it takes them to new worlds in the skyways, via re-used art even better. If Able is out there, half finished in some workshop with instructions on how to finish him, and is found by someone, wouldn't they send a young wizard out on a quest to gather parts needed?
And you are asking, how does having a wizard putting together Able give a pirate a Clockwork companion? Able is a person he has his own mind and destiny. He would prefer to be in the skyways than an old school. He goes back to Pirate via some story where he needs rescued after leaving Wizard City. He becomes a companion, and leads to crew sentiment like seen in "Balance of Terror". But he's supposed to be on par with a Big Bad, you say. Yes, if he was built by the original genius. But he was built by people just reading instructions. He's not quite what he would have been. If he leaves Wizard, what does the wizard get? Maybe they use the knowledge to make a rocking pet, like Sarah Jane Smith's. Then any player who would like to follow the adventures of Able comes and gets his back story. This then opens new story ideas with his brother as well. (Also, not as strong since his defeat). I hope to see Able in some form in the future. He would be a character with much potential. The whole how is one good, one evil is a very good story line. And I would like to see where you could go with it. Also the fact that these are mechanical versions and reminiscent of the two that appeared on my favorite show. May the great bird of the galaxy bless your planet!

Thank you for bearing with me.