Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

So, about Book 15... (SPOILERS)

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
In case you missed it, Max, this thread is for questions for Blind Mew. We're not "bothering" him as he requested us to tell him what's on our minds.
So stop trying to hijack the thread.
Am I hijacking the thread?

He asked for help. What kind of help did he ask for? RECRUITMENT!!!

I don't think I'm hijacking the thread at all.

We're talking about the future of Pirate101, and frankly, all of the questions are trivialities.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Max DeGroot on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
They didn't work before. What makes you think they will work now?

Honestly, stop bothering Blind Mew with questions and get out there and RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT!!

If you want to see a Book 16, then RECRUIT!!

Seriously, people you won't get a Book 16 without it.
You don't know how the commercials worked. You don't know the numbers KI had for P101.

Just for your information, us players can assist in getting new players, but ultimately, it is KI's responsibility to recruit new players en masse. They are the ones who have to dig into their pockets to advertise. All we can do is talk to a few friends, maybe make some posts on blogs, social media, etc, but we should do nothing more that would end up with $$$ out of our pockets for recruiting.

I am certainly not blaming those working directly on P101, but it's the higher-ups in KI who have caused a communication blackout the last 3 years and ultimately, lost a huge number of members that we might not see come back.

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
Please recruit more Pirate101 players, Pirate101 NEEDS YOUR HELP.
Are we ever going to get Book 16+? Pirate101 has a future and the future of P101 will change, so recruit as many players as you can.
Does Pirate101 have enough players to continue and to go on with the original storyline?
Worlds I would Like to See in the future:
SUGGESTIONS FOR PIRATE 101
  • Polaris, Darkmoor, Grizzleheim, Krokotopia, (Potentially Zafaria, and Celestia as well) Another skyway in Skull Island would also be a good idea.
  • I also want to see tournaments, more gauntlets and more stuff in the future.
  • Nimble Humphrey Underhill (Level 70)

- Do you guys have an update in the works or at least ideas because I am going to keep playing Pirate101.

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
Do you currently have more updates in the works and will you update Pirate 101 in the future and I hope more people play Pirate 101 too.
Are you currently working on an update for Pirate that is due later this year?

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
Blind Mew on Jun 21, 2016 wrote:
"As your Holiness undoubtedly knows, little in this world unfolds as we predict."
- Cardinal Altamirano, The Mission

"Skip to the END..."
- Prince Humperdink, The Princess Bride

Sorry for the minor delay in getting this to the forums. I wanted to have Book 15 out there a while, to let people play it through.

It's been entirely too long. I cannot put into words how happy I am to be celebrating the launch of a new story update for Pirate. As rewarding as it is to have new a Book live in the Spiral, I'm also very glad to engage you guys in direct conversation again - talking to you on the forums is one of the best parts of my job.

Reading the forums, I see y'all noticed Book 15 is shorter than previous installments, and that the ending veered significantly from the original plan. You are correct.

So what happened? Well, after a hiatus that ended up being way too long, we got the ball rolling again on Book 15, but it took some changes to do it. Long story short, I had to make a long story short(er).

And then there was the ending. I made the decision early in the revision process to bring arc 1 to a close in Book 15 instead of Book 20. I want to be able to move on from here with a cleaner slate, without the momentum of those huge previous books pushing on the story. After such a long wait, I wanted to answer some of the questions I've been bedeviling y'all with for quite some time. Of course, I couldn't help raising some new ones.

It was tricky compressing the end of the arc, but I'm happy with how it turned out. It's a bit hasty and there's a ton of exposition (even by my verbose standards), but it achieves the goal I had for it: to get us to a place where we can go forward again.

So where do we go from here? There's a lot of things I'd love the opportunity to explore: Kane (or at least his body) may be dead, but El Dorado is still out there. There are lots of old questions that have nothing to do with Kane: where's Pirate Jenny's piece of the map? What's Napoleguin up to lately? Which did come first, the Banana or the Tree? Bits of Book 15 that were cut could revive as gauntlets - gee, I wonder who they might feature? And there are the lingering questions of Kane's final fate. There are other stories to tell, featuring new villains and new worlds. But I can't do it without your help.

To be continued...
Are you guys currently working on something for Pirate, does Pirate have enough players to update more frequently. I hope Pirate updates more frequently and gets more commercials.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CaptainBunny093 on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
I have one more question for you, Mr. Blind Mew:
Why are there Ophidian Ships in Calabria Skyway? They seem VERY out of place, and I was wondering if there was a reason why they were put there.
Thanks,
~Fine Matthew Collins Lv 68
Yes, I've noticed those Ophidian ships too, Master Collins. I didn't think they were out of place though, as we learn in Aquila that the Ophidians are well known merchants of spices, and Valencia would be the great hub of trading for expert skyfarers of all descriptions.

That would be the innocent explanation. Another, more sinister possibility could be that the Armada is forming ties with the Ophidians with the express purpose to foment more war and discord in Aquila. It is to the Armada's benefit, after all, to keep the other realms of the Spiral too busy to potentially interfere with them...

but those are just my speculations!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
You don't know how the commercials worked. You don't know the numbers KI had for P101.

Just for your information, us players can assist in getting new players, but ultimately, it is KI's responsibility to recruit new players en masse. They are the ones who have to dig into their pockets to advertise. All we can do is talk to a few friends, maybe make some posts on blogs, social media, etc, but we should do nothing more that would end up with $$$ out of our pockets for recruiting.

I am certainly not blaming those working directly on P101, but it's the higher-ups in KI who have caused a communication blackout the last 3 years and ultimately, lost a huge number of members that we might not see come back.
Oh, but I DO.

Commercial marketing is a specialty. A commercial costs a certain amount to make, and a certain amount to get broadcast. If the revenue that is brought in does not exceed the cost of airing the commercial, the commercial effort is deemed a failure.

Gamers, as a rule, don't spent much time watching television or cable. They may watch videos on YouTube or Twitch. Perhaps advertizing there might work, but again, cost vs. return is the rule.

And, as Blind Mew said, word of mouth did more for Wizard101 than anything else. The participation level of Pirate101 has been stagnant for over 3 years, even with the advertizing. Those figures come from KI itself.

If we want to see this game move forward, we have to be the ones to spread the word.

Ensign
Aug 02, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:

exactly! Kingsisle made a big mistake for leaving us in the dark for 3 years without a story update. They lost so many players and questions left unanswered for too long. Now all we can do is promote the game that we love to our best ability and hope that Kingsisle keeps this game updated because I find it hard to promote a game that just leaves their players in the dark for 3 years.
When i go to the update notes for pirate101 for the last 3 years or so, then i look at wizard101's updates for the first 3 years of their cycle, it is depressing. I remember going to school and talking to my friends and over hearing people talk about that pirate101 commercial they saw last night and how cool it looked. I was so amazed by what Kingsisle had going and it was amazing!
We need more updates Blindmew, like spectating and leaderboards for ranked pvp! We also need to be able to see other people's pvp record and things like that. I'm not even going to touch about how unbalanced the pvp is right now, but that is for another topic.
Please Kingsisle just bring life back to the game. Make another commercial, update the game at least twice a year, and keep innovating because this game needs it so badly.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2009
A friend of mine who can't access the Message Boards at the moment wanted to share his thoughts and ask a question which I've posted below this.

(1/2) I've read through your Original Story Arc I Outline and I must say it is absolutely beautiful. Personally, I prefer it over this current adaption. I know, we haven't explored much of it but personally Valencia doesn't sit well with me at all. If it was possible, I'd gladly take a vote along with my Swashbuckling peers to decide which of the two Outlines we'd want to play through. My vote, if it's not obvious already would be to have Valencia's current story removed (along with the 3 Rats quests; but that's a topic for another time...) and replaced with the original story with additional elements from this new arc to create a fufilling story. But I'm digressing from my question and I don't want this to turn into a crude rant. Anyways, at the end of your Outline you stated that you deliberately avoided stating the names of the worlds that we would explore. I take it that this means the plan to visit these worlds is still in place whether it be in a different order or remain the same.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2009
Continued (2/2): I'll probably recieve your famous phrase however I'm still going to ask this.... was one of these worlds Wizard City? And might Wizard City have been the final world; the world that would have the Stormgate to El Dorado? Why I'm asking is because 1: Wizard City or at least Bartleby is supposed to have a connection to all of the worlds of the Spiral. Thus it'd make sense that El Dorado would appear there. 2: You once stated, if not several times, that you'd like to bring Wizard City to Pirate. Finally, 3: In the older variation of the Machine (the one from the teaser) where we fight Kane there's was a map (like the one from the map-puzzle-teaser we got in the mail) which someone posted on Twitter. And on it there is a rectangular instrument of sorts and it's focused in an area, which I've dubbed the "Spiral Triangle". In that small area there are three worlds that if connected would form a triangle (which is what inspired the name). The worlds are Wizard City, Skull Island and Dragonspyre. My guess is that the reason the instrument is there is because that's where Kane believed the Stormgate would appear, in between those three worlds. Thus, we'd at least have to pass through Wizard City('s skyway) to reach the Stormgate much like we did in DS.

Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
In the official statement released last month about the layoffs, it stated that W101 had 2 more updates planned for the year, yet all P101 got was confirmation of the upcoming test realm. Is this ''1 update a year'' thing going to become permanent? Once again Pirate is left in the dark while Wiz receives the spotlight. I know it's due to financial situations, but you guys have to put more love into this game. Forgive me for saying this but one of the biggest reasons Pirate isn't getting much players right now is mainly because of you guys. You left us in the dark for 3 years and you're doing it again. And while this storyline expansion was meant to get players back into the game, it's not going to do much because delaying this update for 3 years gave this game a bad reputation, and this update gave people an even more bad impression because many people will think that you guys did nothing for this game in the past 3 years (which hopefully isn't true), considering how short it is and how many bugs there were. You need to regain your player's trusts by releasing a finished world next time (not in the next 3 years) like MB/AQ was.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
wizardrocks969 on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
In the official statement released last month about the layoffs, it stated that W101 had 2 more updates planned for the year, yet all P101 got was confirmation of the upcoming test realm. Is this ''1 update a year'' thing going to become permanent? Once again Pirate is left in the dark while Wiz receives the spotlight. I know it's due to financial situations, but you guys have to put more love into this game. Forgive me for saying this but one of the biggest reasons Pirate isn't getting much players right now is mainly because of you guys. You left us in the dark for 3 years and you're doing it again. And while this storyline expansion was meant to get players back into the game, it's not going to do much because delaying this update for 3 years gave this game a bad reputation, and this update gave people an even more bad impression because many people will think that you guys did nothing for this game in the past 3 years (which hopefully isn't true), considering how short it is and how many bugs there were. You need to regain your player's trusts by releasing a finished world next time (not in the next 3 years) like MB/AQ was.
Games don't run on love. They run on participation. W101 gets the updates because they have 40 million players. P101 does not even have an fifth of that. W101 by the time they got to level 50 had tens of millions. P101 was at 65 with less than half that.

You want this game to grow? You gotta get people interested. Stop blaming KI for this.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Not a question, but a response to one of your answers to others, Blind Mew, concerning those 'fishy' crystals:

"Odd. In addition too the questions you ask here, I'd add "are those really the same crystals?" and "what the heck ARE those crystals anyway?"

Well, I had already pondered the second question, making some educated guesses about their origin (based on information already in the game), but I never even thought about the first question! What a great exercise in analysis! You sure 'schooled' me! Thanks!

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Blind Mew I do have questions for you which is important to the storyline

1.What does Casimir think of the massive machine in the middle of the world he is in charge of protecting that obviously looks like it's tearing the land apart?

2. If there are armada servants then why don't we see them anywhere in Valencia? Also we see no clockworks used as decoration (sort of how the Royal Guards are used) why is this?

3. Is it possible you will ever add more to Valencia part 2?

4. Lastly I have a request to make Valencia Part 2 a bit longer, we shouldn't just be able to sail up to the clockwork factory, remember wphow when we go to Boot Hill we have to fight some Darkmoor ships, well the clockwork factory should be the same and we should have to defeat four ships before we can dock there

Thanks for your time

Community Leader
Max DeGroot on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
Oh, but I DO.

Commercial marketing is a specialty. A commercial costs a certain amount to make, and a certain amount to get broadcast. If the revenue that is brought in does not exceed the cost of airing the commercial, the commercial effort is deemed a failure.

Gamers, as a rule, don't spent much time watching television or cable. They may watch videos on YouTube or Twitch. Perhaps advertizing there might work, but again, cost vs. return is the rule.

And, as Blind Mew said, word of mouth did more for Wizard101 than anything else. The participation level of Pirate101 has been stagnant for over 3 years, even with the advertizing. Those figures come from KI itself.

If we want to see this game move forward, we have to be the ones to spread the word.
Oh, but you really don't. It serves no purpose for a gamer/player to try to rebut other gamers opinions or suggestions.

You have a basic understanding of advertising, but you do not have the statistics that KI has regarding the effectiveness of their commercial advertising. You can argue until blue in the face and unless you work for KI, you do NOT know, and I am fairly sure they aren't sharing any statistics.

Good gamers as a rule, don't try to pretend they know what all other gamers know and do. I have been a gamer for years, have many gamer friends and not one of us watch youtube or twitch, not a single one. Those don't seem to be gamer things, they seem to be a trend by the more youthful players. Matter of fact it used to be one common topic around the boards about having seen one of KI's commercials on television.

Wizard101 has had many many MANY commercials, and many stories on other game networks, and various television programming, and news. Its success is not soley due to word of mouth. Its very hard to recommend a game to a friend when the game hasn't seen an update in 3 years. And Blind Mews posts gave us no "figures" at all.

Love the game still, would like to see it be a lot more successful.
I think KI needs to open things up, advertise, give incentives, and probably the biggest issue.. communicate.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Dr Zeppers on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
Oh, but you really don't. It serves no purpose for a gamer/player to try to rebut other gamers opinions or suggestions.

You have a basic understanding of advertising, but you do not have the statistics that KI has regarding the effectiveness of their commercial advertising. You can argue until blue in the face and unless you work for KI, you do NOT know, and I am fairly sure they aren't sharing any statistics.

Good gamers as a rule, don't try to pretend they know what all other gamers know and do. I have been a gamer for years, have many gamer friends and not one of us watch youtube or twitch, not a single one. Those don't seem to be gamer things, they seem to be a trend by the more youthful players. Matter of fact it used to be one common topic around the boards about having seen one of KI's commercials on television.

Wizard101 has had many many MANY commercials, and many stories on other game networks, and various television programming, and news. Its success is not soley due to word of mouth. Its very hard to recommend a game to a friend when the game hasn't seen an update in 3 years. And Blind Mews posts gave us no "figures" at all.

Love the game still, would like to see it be a lot more successful.
I think KI needs to open things up, advertise, give incentives, and probably the biggest issue.. communicate.
Okay, I don't know how to respond to this, but I'll keep this short:

"It serves no purpose for a gamer/player to try to rebut other gamers opinions or suggestions."

And you then launch into a multi-paragraph rebut. How does this serve any purpose?

"You can argue until blue in the face and unless you work for KI, you do NOT know, and I am fairly sure they aren't sharing any statistics."

You haven't been looking at http://www.kingsisle.com , have you? The statistics are right on their front page.
"5 million and growing." It's been that way for three years now.

Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
Max DeGroot on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
Games don't run on love. They run on participation. W101 gets the updates because they have 40 million players. P101 does not even have an fifth of that. W101 by the time they got to level 50 had tens of millions. P101 was at 65 with less than half that.

You want this game to grow? You gotta get people interested. Stop blaming KI for this.
Ah yes, but WHY doesn't this game have nearly as much players as W101? Ask yourself that question.

As stated in my original post, I HAVE to blame KI for this because it is in fact their fault.
Know why Pirate isn't doing as well as Wiz? It's because KI left Pirate in the dark for 3 years with no hint about a world expansion. Throughout those 3 years, MANY players lost faith in the game and decided to leave. And with this recent expansion, yes some players returned, but not as much because people saw that this update was rushed. If you don't think it's KI's fault, then who is it? I would really like to know.

Sure we can get some players into this game, but it ultimately falls on KI.
If they doesn't release a finished world next time in good length, i'm not sure if this game has that long of a future.

I'm going to stop arguing on this thread now, since it is meant for questions about the game.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Believe you me, Blind Mew, I really preferred the original outline to Arc 1's remainder, & the proper final battle with Kane, too, 'cause, honestly, I really wanted Kane to undergo many mechanical transformations in that battle in Book 20, including a final form where he is at his strongest.

Still, I am, more or less, slightly disappointed about that outcome. It really made things jumbled up in Book 15's state.

Though, I know it's going to be a not so bad question, be it late or not, but, is there some chance Book 15 could be redone form start once again, you know, to re-do arc 1's state back to 20 Books like how it's supposed to be?

The truth is, I really enjoyed the redoing to Book 1's quests with the three ghost rats, it truly feels like a better, to say it plainly, partial reboot to P101's history & continuity lineup, one that is done with great success. I truly like the current Red Claw Gang. Gave them a better role in the P101 storyline. Hope they may come back someday.

So, with Book 15's state being... less than satisfying, I thought this, "Why not do a better reboot to Book 15, to re-implement some tossed content with new elements to keep a few in, like Gazpaccio not only having Kane as his creation, but him having a real son of his own & G taking the fall while his son goes with G's plan to defeat Kane, in case his reasoning resort didn't go well, & redo arc 1's state back to 20 Books?". Wouldn't that be neat for G to have his own human son carrying his plans in his death?

Think of it as... well, starting from where we're supposed to go again, only better.

Blind Mew, I understand if a reboot to Book 15 may not be in the cards, but, my idea on it would be to redo arc 1's state back to 20 Books like how many wanted it to be, with a better finale. & it's worth asking you this question. Still, I wouldn't mind a better reboot to Book 15 & the 1st arc's conclusion moved back to Book 20. Who knows? (Keep the 2 Puppet Shows, but redo the last show in Book 15, DH!)

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Just one question today

In Valencia part1 swashbucklers have the opportunity to recieve a crab hermit, shouldn't their lore be explored through a side quest or something, shouldn't we see some in this expansion?

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
This is a really random detail, but I noticed that in the final battle, the chessboard was actually sideways. In a normal chessboard, the bottom right square is the lighter color but in the fight it is darker. Was this done with a secret diabolical purpose in mind?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
wizardrocks969 on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
Ah yes, but WHY doesn't this game have nearly as much players as W101? Ask yourself that question.

As stated in my original post, I HAVE to blame KI for this because it is in fact their fault.
Know why Pirate isn't doing as well as Wiz? It's because KI left Pirate in the dark for 3 years with no hint about a world expansion. Throughout those 3 years, MANY players lost faith in the game and decided to leave. And with this recent expansion, yes some players returned, but not as much because people saw that this update was rushed. If you don't think it's KI's fault, then who is it? I would really like to know.

Sure we can get some players into this game, but it ultimately falls on KI.
If they doesn't release a finished world next time in good length, i'm not sure if this game has that long of a future.

I'm going to stop arguing on this thread now, since it is meant for questions about the game.
Have you ever thought that MAYBE KI losing players is actually the fault of the players themselves? How many times have I heard of players bad-mouthing P101 & KI on Twitter, Face Book and other social media because of a lack of story content? There were even calls to boycott or refuse to renew subscriptions unless KI gave them what they wanted.
If KI was depending on "word of mouth" recruitment, don't you think the attitude of players has a great deal to do with the situation now?
Yes, I have complained on these boards about the roaring silence coming from KI, but I have never disparaged this game to others, in fact, I have done the opposite, I have praised KI games for the play-ability, story line, charming graphics, plus the fact that it's a generation spanning game; encouraging closeness among family members, where often internet use has a isolating effect among young people.
Remember when you point a finger, there're three other fingers pointing back at you.

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
I have been playing Pirate101 ever since I saw the first commercial in 2013. I asked my mom if I could try the game out. I told her specifically "Its free to play." Yeah, I played it for a few days. Then it said, you need a membership to enter this area. So, it isn't free to play. I have gotten a membership and have beaten the game. I have ultimately spent probably hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on Wizard101 and Pirate101. So there is one problem. An ultimate lie.

Another problem. I played the game for about a year. I was already wrapping up Marleybone. Then I go to Aquila. Now, if you want to know why I stopped playing??? Well, in Aquila my companions died all the time. Wanna know how long I waited? 6-8 hours for a single companion. If I wake them up, they loose 1/10 of their health. Then they die quicker. I hate having to wait so long.

The last problem. Like many others have pointed out, you left the game alone for 3 whole years. That is over 1000 days. Yes, you just released a new world. But it was so short, I beat it in three days of playing for a few hours. Come on!!! A world in Wizard101 takes a few weeks for me. And now, you are leaving us in the darkness again. No signs of Book 16. You have told us though that there will be a big update in Wizard101 in the fall.

I take that back, that was not the last problem! Here is the last problem, you never listen to anyone's ideas or thoughts. Tell me one thing that was listed on this message board that was actually put in the game. There isn't any.

So, ultimately, it is your fault KI for only having 5 million players VS 40 million. I had gotten my brother to play this game. I also got him and my mom to play Wizard101, but if you really want players you need to work on these things.

Sincerely, Fiery Orion Ironside (Lvl 70 )
AKA: Weather Man

Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
Why are there no Privateers in Valencia part 2? Correct me if i'm wrong but I haven't seen a single enemy who is a privateer. Or is this a Ratbeard question?

Ensign
Aug 02, 2009
The Weather Man on Jul 1, 2016 wrote:
I have been playing Pirate101 ever since I saw the first commercial in 2013. I asked my mom if I could try the game out. I told her specifically "Its free to play." Yeah, I played it for a few days. Then it said, you need a membership to enter this area. So, it isn't free to play. I have gotten a membership and have beaten the game. I have ultimately spent probably hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on Wizard101 and Pirate101. So there is one problem. An ultimate lie.

Another problem. I played the game for about a year. I was already wrapping up Marleybone. Then I go to Aquila. Now, if you want to know why I stopped playing??? Well, in Aquila my companions died all the time. Wanna know how long I waited? 6-8 hours for a single companion. If I wake them up, they loose 1/10 of their health. Then they die quicker. I hate having to wait so long.

The last problem. Like many others have pointed out, you left the game alone for 3 whole years. That is over 1000 days. Yes, you just released a new world. But it was so short, I beat it in three days of playing for a few hours. Come on!!! A world in Wizard101 takes a few weeks for me. And now, you are leaving us in the darkness again. No signs of Book 16. You have told us though that there will be a big update in Wizard101 in the fall.

I take that back, that was not the last problem! Here is the last problem, you never listen to anyone's ideas or thoughts. Tell me one thing that was listed on this message board that was actually put in the game. There isn't any.

So, ultimately, it is your fault KI for only having 5 million players VS 40 million. I had gotten my brother to play this game. I also got him and my mom to play Wizard101, but if you really want players you need to work on these things.

Sincerely, Fiery Orion Ironside (Lvl 70 )
AKA: Weather Man
I couldn't of put it better myself I really want to see if Blind Mew will actually reply to that one

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
Uh, is there a reason why no people or staff have responded to my post???