Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What happened to Gracie and Catbeard, Blind Mew?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
Hey Blind Mew, glad to see you active on the forums again and answering everyone's questions about the update. Since my membership is ending in a few days (I'll get another one soon) I would appreciate it if you'd answer my question about Valencia 2.

If you recall, Catbeard and Gracie Conrad received promotions in this update, and while that may sound exciting, it's actually not cause all we do to promote them is pay 7000 gold.

Why in the world did you decide to promote these STORYLINE companions with gold? ALL storyline companions deserve to get promotion quests so we can learn more about them. To top it all off, they didn't have ANY dialogue and powers! Just a 1+ critical strike and epic. I really thought Gracie should've gotten an upgraded golem or something.

Why did they even receive a promotion? If I remember correctly you said in one of your story threads that it was way too early for them to receive promotions in the next update. (Which was this one)

Forgive me for saying this but it seems that you guys were just lazy when it came to these companions. And while the update was indeed rushed, it doesn't explain why these STORYLINE companions had to be promoted with gold. If you guys truly didn't have enough time, you would've removed the promotions from Test Realm, but instead they in fact made it Live Realm.

Please tell me what happened to these companions and if this will/will not happen again with future storyline companion promotions. I really hope not....

Developer
See my response here: www.pirate101.com/forum/the-shipyards/lack-of-promotion-quests-8ad6a4145554b48201555e2ad2e36706#

On a specific note to your question, the delay in Book 15s release changed my definitions of what "too early" meant from a story standpoint.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Are you calling them lazy for not making 2 more 2 hour long promotion quests for a companion?

I mean don't get me wrong it's fun to dive into the story but I imagine it requires an incredible amount of work. Plus, with the amount of main companions we get now-a-days there's no possible way they'll have the time to make a promotion quest for EVERY SINGLE ONE. That's how it is.

Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
Blind Mew on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
See my response here: www.pirate101.com/forum/the-shipyards/lack-of-promotion-quests-8ad6a4145554b48201555e2ad2e36706#

On a specific note to your question, the delay in Book 15s release changed my definitions of what "too early" meant from a story standpoint.
Thank you! Just hope Monkey King won't get a paying promotion, he's way too funny......

Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
Dead Eye Luke on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
Are you calling them lazy for not making 2 more 2 hour long promotion quests for a companion?

I mean don't get me wrong it's fun to dive into the story but I imagine it requires an incredible amount of work. Plus, with the amount of main companions we get now-a-days there's no possible way they'll have the time to make a promotion quest for EVERY SINGLE ONE. That's how it is.
Did you not read what I said? Of course I know that it takes allot of work, but if they didn't have enough time they could've just simply removed them from test realm.

Community Leader
wizardrocks969 on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
Did you not read what I said? Of course I know that it takes allot of work, but if they didn't have enough time they could've just simply removed them from test realm.
Personally, I would rather have a promotion versus not having a promotion.

Maybe this opens a gap for the creative at heart to write their own "promotion" stories for the various companions now receiving gold promotions! :)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Apr 28, 2010
What if promotions switch between quest and paid? I feel that the 5s and the Mag 7 don't really need many more quests going forward (though I'd appreciate them, especially when it comes to Sarah Steele and Dead Mike) whereas companions such as Catbeard and Gracie really could've benefitted from some development. Catbeard in particular would've been great fun for his promo quest. I also fear that companions like Monkey King and Hawkules might not get their day in the limelight, which I'd consider tragic considering they're two of the strongest personalities in our crew, and that's saying a lot. Bonnie Anne still has an ongoing story arc so I think that she should keep getting quests, but I feel like Ratbeard's character arc is pretty much wrapped up so I think that his next promo could be for gold if it means letting someone like Shiruku Neko (side quest, I know) get a promo quest.

In summary, I suggest letting some companions that already get quests take a break for their next promo and let Catbeard/Gracie/any other companion that might get shafted have their day, and switch between by letting the companions continue to grow gameplay wise and storywise at different rhythms. Could this option possibly be on the table?

PS: I know this is off topic but since I'm here, might there ever in the future be a recut version of Book XV to fix the pacing issues and plot discrepancies? There was a fix for a plot hole at the end of Book X once but that was just altering two lines of dialogue so I totally understand that this is pretty much never happening, it just feels kinda sad.

Ensign
Feb 19, 2010
Toa of Light on Jun 18, 2016 wrote:
What if promotions switch between quest and paid? I feel that the 5s and the Mag 7 don't really need many more quests going forward (though I'd appreciate them, especially when it comes to Sarah Steele and Dead Mike) whereas companions such as Catbeard and Gracie really could've benefitted from some development. Catbeard in particular would've been great fun for his promo quest. I also fear that companions like Monkey King and Hawkules might not get their day in the limelight, which I'd consider tragic considering they're two of the strongest personalities in our crew, and that's saying a lot. Bonnie Anne still has an ongoing story arc so I think that she should keep getting quests, but I feel like Ratbeard's character arc is pretty much wrapped up so I think that his next promo could be for gold if it means letting someone like Shiruku Neko (side quest, I know) get a promo quest.

In summary, I suggest letting some companions that already get quests take a break for their next promo and let Catbeard/Gracie/any other companion that might get shafted have their day, and switch between by letting the companions continue to grow gameplay wise and storywise at different rhythms. Could this option possibly be on the table?

PS: I know this is off topic but since I'm here, might there ever in the future be a recut version of Book XV to fix the pacing issues and plot discrepancies? There was a fix for a plot hole at the end of Book X once but that was just altering two lines of dialogue so I totally understand that this is pretty much never happening, it just feels kinda sad.
I believe the 5s should get promotions since they've practically been with us throughout the whole game, but the Mag 7 isn't a bad idea considering they don't even get any dialogue.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Toa of Light on Jun 18, 2016 wrote:

Eh, regarding the 5's, which 5,s?

For the MooShu 5 I reckon there should only be one more promotion

Kraken Skulls companions could get 1 or 2 more

The presidio companions seeing as they don't get a new power and know a lot about our parents might get one more promotion

I do agree that Gracie and Catbeard really deserve actual quests over a gold payment and I do fear what will become of our beloved Monkey King and Hawkules regarding their promotions

Regarding Bonnie Anne's story I do reckon there could be another final promotion and that would be it

With Ratbeard I agree his time is up and that if promotions are added, only gold promotions

Also to add with a suggestion myself Old Scratch needs a promotion

Petty Officer
Mar 23, 2011
wizardrocks969 on Jun 17, 2016 wrote:
Hey Blind Mew, glad to see you active on the forums again and answering everyone's questions about the update. Since my membership is ending in a few days (I'll get another one soon) I would appreciate it if you'd answer my question about Valencia 2.

If you recall, Catbeard and Gracie Conrad received promotions in this update, and while that may sound exciting, it's actually not cause all we do to promote them is pay 7000 gold.

Why in the world did you decide to promote these STORYLINE companions with gold? ALL storyline companions deserve to get promotion quests so we can learn more about them. To top it all off, they didn't have ANY dialogue and powers! Just a 1+ critical strike and epic. I really thought Gracie should've gotten an upgraded golem or something.

Why did they even receive a promotion? If I remember correctly you said in one of your story threads that it was way too early for them to receive promotions in the next update. (Which was this one)

Forgive me for saying this but it seems that you guys were just lazy when it came to these companions. And while the update was indeed rushed, it doesn't explain why these STORYLINE companions had to be promoted with gold. If you guys truly didn't have enough time, you would've removed the promotions from Test Realm, but instead they in fact made it Live Realm.

Please tell me what happened to these companions and if this will/will not happen again with future storyline companion promotions. I really hope not....
What do you mean?! Catbeard needed that gold to go buy some pickled herring and fatten up, then after he brought some new clothes to fit him...