Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why is Swashbuckler hated?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
So, I heard my friends talking to some new players about pirate101 and they said things like "don't pick swashbuckler, it's unoriginal" and "if your only max pirate, is swashbuckler, you haven't really played the game." So that got me wondering, why is swashbuckler hated? I enjoyed questing on my swashbuckler and some of the animations he had were really epic but soloing on him seemed too easy. Perhaps this is the reason why Buckler is hated?

Lvl 65
Lvl 48
Lvl 7
Lvl 6

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on Jun 5, 2016 wrote:
So, I heard my friends talking to some new players about pirate101 and they said things like "don't pick swashbuckler, it's unoriginal" and "if your only max pirate, is swashbuckler, you haven't really played the game." So that got me wondering, why is swashbuckler hated? I enjoyed questing on my swashbuckler and some of the animations he had were really epic but soloing on him seemed too easy. Perhaps this is the reason why Buckler is hated?

Lvl 65
Lvl 48
Lvl 7
Lvl 6
Envy is so ugly. I'll bet these same players were hating Privateers a couple of years ago, too. Some of the hating words: "no-brainer class", "no strategy needed", etc...
We have what may be one of the most effective powers; until you look at what other classes have.... powers which are also difficult to counter.
All classes have their "op" powers, all classes have their weaknesses, it all balances in the end.
I'm speaking as one who has played all classes to current max level; but I find that Swashbuckler fits my personality and game play style perfectly.
The easiest class for me to solo would have to be Musketeer.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
Adam Wintersinger on Jun 5, 2016 wrote:

Lvl 65
Lvl 48
Lvl 7
Lvl 6
Class hate mostly comes from "brass monkeys" in PvP. Swashbucklers are usually hated for their high damage and hiding spells. Witchdoctors, Musketeers, and Privateers are usually ridiculed for being "cowards" that "just hide behind their companions"; along with Witch and Musket ranged attacks (Witches damaging multiple targets at a time and Musket's traps) and Privy's high buffing spells. Buccaneers...not entirely sure what or if they're hated on but they are very strong and durable at times. Frankly I think it's just a luring technique to expose a class's weakness.
Just don't let another's opinions dictate your choice of pirate. Every class has its pros and cons which make it a little more diverse. As for what your friends are saying to the newcomers, I can't say with any certainty their motive, but perhaps Swashbuckler might be becoming a cliché pirate class or maybe Pirate101 has an overabundance of the class already; I don't know. All I can say for certain is that most of this class hate is just hot air from poor sports in the Brawlin' Hall.

Ensign
May 30, 2013
They aren't hated,in my opinion,they are overrated!
However,they do too much damage and can solo very easy,with their only weakness is having less health than other schools.So there isn't any challenge for them.
But still,it is a very fun type and can be very fun to use.
And those people who don't like swashbucklers,it's their opinion.Follow what way you wanna go.It's not like they can do anything to you for choosing that type.

Trustworthy Kevin Spencer lvl 60

Abigail lvl 23

Samuel lvl 11

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
From what I have seen buckler is hated because it used to be an op class in PvP
Your friends are sort of just talking fluff there because no one hates them for that

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I like turtles on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:
They aren't hated,in my opinion,they are overrated!
However,they do too much damage and can solo very easy,with their only weakness is having less health than other schools.So there isn't any challenge for them.
But still,it is a very fun type and can be very fun to use.
And those people who don't like swashbucklers,it's their opinion.Follow what way you wanna go.It's not like they can do anything to you for choosing that type.

Trustworthy Kevin Spencer lvl 60

Abigail lvl 23

Samuel lvl 11
This post is an example of what I've faced in game on these boards.
"...they do too much damage and can solo very easy, with their only weakness is having less health than other schools. So there isn't any challenge for them."
I see that your swashbuckler is only at level 23. I remember times in Cool Ranch and Marleybone where the challenges were very difficult, indeed. ( Mostly because of musketeers. )
Now about doing "too much " damage, yes, our hide gives us very good damage but so does Whale's Might for Buccaneers and any number of buffs from Privateers. Our "hide" sequence of powers is spaced out - our first hide comes at level 5, our second at level 12 and our final ( and only ) group hide at level 55. In between this our companions are vulnerable to talent attacks like overwatch and repel boarders. Having them survive is a challenge, and for myself, if Fog doesn't show up, it likely means a loss of at least one companion, especially in the new update.
Less health isn't our only weakness, we also get less armor.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
Yeah, really it happens all the time every once and awhile that a certain class is picked on for being op. Swashbucklers are fast to level up so people struggling to progress quickly are probably frustrated because what they have heard. I also think its because of how hidden was updated (it was a few years ago so I'm not quite if I am right). Originally only enemy pets and enemies in normal fighting couldn't see you but in pvp you could attack them still. Once updated now you cant so you can see how as time goes on its just frustrating people to no end. Personally I don't mind it because I can just boost and bomb them and trained hidden so if I need it I have it. As someone else said it is pretty much sore losers complaining.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
Class warfare is ridiculous in real life and in this game. Every class has things to love and things to not love about it. I've finished the game 6 times with maxed pirates of each class and it was a different----not better or worse----experience with each one.

That said, if I had to pick the class that I personally *breezed through* with it would be the musketeer. Being able to mow enemies down before they even get close is a bigger advantage, IMO, than being able to knock out a big damage hit. YMMV, of course.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb 65
Fearless Fallon Webb 65
Black Bailey Webb 65
Salty Sonia Webb 65
Virtuous Vanessa Webb 65
Reckless Reed Webb 65

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
GoldenNorth on Jun 7, 2016 wrote:
Yeah, really it happens all the time every once and awhile that a certain class is picked on for being op. Swashbucklers are fast to level up so people struggling to progress quickly are probably frustrated because what they have heard. I also think its because of how hidden was updated (it was a few years ago so I'm not quite if I am right). Originally only enemy pets and enemies in normal fighting couldn't see you but in pvp you could attack them still. Once updated now you cant so you can see how as time goes on its just frustrating people to no end. Personally I don't mind it because I can just boost and bomb them and trained hidden so if I need it I have it. As someone else said it is pretty much sore losers complaining.

What do you mean by they are fast to level up? I took my swashbuckler from lvl 35 to 65 in a week and he was overlevel for most of the areas and I took my musketeer from lvl 8 to 65 in 9 days, granted summer helped but the fight lengths were the same.

Lvl 65
Lvl 8
Lvl 6