Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Some areas too boring

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
As we have all experienced (probably), there are some areas in the game where it just gets...
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!

I don't mean to just criticize this otherwise amazing game, I just think some tweeks to the storyline might make the game a lot better. I know several pirates who have quit the game because of this problem. I'm naming a few of the areas I thought were missing action and plot.

- Manny, Larry, and Moe (or whatever their names are)
When you're originally trying to chase Ratbeard in the very early game, this stuck out as a very dull part. Well, I have to say I do like the quests, I just think that when making another pirate, or want to get to the plot, it can get VERY boring. Even though I'm saying this, I don't think it needs, or even should be changed.

- First half of Cool Ranch
Just let me show you how sidetracked you get here.
Aim of the game: to be free from the Armada (when you think about it)
-You do this by racing them to el dorado
-You do this by trying to complete the map
-You do this by trying to get Christopher Clark's piece
-You find that Captain Blood stole it
-You try to track him down
-You do this by finding Captain Blood's enemy: El Toro (x tries to play the trumpet x)
-You find that the original El Toro (cue the trumpets) died
-You try to find El Toro's (Ba da da da da da da) sidekick,
On and on, I'm not even half done, but you get the idea.

I know I'm missing quite a lot, let me know what I missed!

Plz fix some of these, KI, too many pirates are leaving because of these long quests.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MadisonWinterHorn on May 24, 2016 wrote:
As we have all experienced (probably), there are some areas in the game where it just gets...

I don't mean to just criticize this otherwise amazing game, I just think some tweeks to the storyline might make the game a lot better. I know several pirates who have quit the game because of this problem. I'm naming a few of the areas I thought were missing action and plot.

When you're originally trying to chase Ratbeard in the very early game, this stuck out as a very dull part. Well, I have to say I do like the quests, I just think that when making another pirate, or want to get to the plot, it can get VERY boring. Even though I'm saying this, I don't think it needs, or even should be changed.

-You do this by finding Captain Blood's enemy: El Toro (x tries to play the trumpet x)

Plz fix some of these, KI, too many pirates are leaving because of these long quests.
Being bored is a choice. It is never forced upon you. If the storyline isn't your style in a certain area, then make it more fun by poking around and seeing what little treasures the developers have hidden. There are always ways to make potential tedium more fun.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
MadisonWinterHorn on May 24, 2016 wrote:

Whether it's called a story-line quest or a side quest, a quest is a quest. Unfortunately, without the number of peripheral quests attached the game would be a lot shorter. Would it be any more interesting if all of the "sidetracking" you mentioned above were introduced as individual quests, not tied to any master quest? I'd wager to say "no". It's all designed to keep things flowing and at the same time to allow our characters to get stronger.
Shorter/fewer quests = less XP/loot/gold = slower advancement in level = more people leaving.
If folks are leaving because of long quests my guess is it's more of a failure to concentrate than it is the structure of the game. Also, anyone who's starting a new pirate knows the story line in advance so naturally it's going to make re-doing all of the initial quests seem to drag when in fact it's probably going faster than the first time you did them. Now you know some of the tricks of the trade so combat and travel will be easier to manage.
My complaint about questing is more about the "Active Quest". More times than I can remember I've completed a portion of a quest only to have the "active quest" jump to another one. The problem arises when you start heading toward what you think is the next task in the progression of that quest and you suddenly look and the active quest has been arbitrarily changed to what the game considers the "primary" quest. You could be halfway to a different world only to find that where you really wanted to go was a few feet from where you were two skyways ago. I'm not asking for changes... it's easy enough to check the quest after you complete one... one only has to remember to do it!

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
TucsonWizard on May 24, 2016 wrote:
Whether it's called a story-line quest or a side quest, a quest is a quest. Unfortunately, without the number of peripheral quests attached the game would be a lot shorter. Would it be any more interesting if all of the "sidetracking" you mentioned above were introduced as individual quests, not tied to any master quest? I'd wager to say "no". It's all designed to keep things flowing and at the same time to allow our characters to get stronger.
Shorter/fewer quests = less XP/loot/gold = slower advancement in level = more people leaving.
If folks are leaving because of long quests my guess is it's more of a failure to concentrate than it is the structure of the game. Also, anyone who's starting a new pirate knows the story line in advance so naturally it's going to make re-doing all of the initial quests seem to drag when in fact it's probably going faster than the first time you did them. Now you know some of the tricks of the trade so combat and travel will be easier to manage.
My complaint about questing is more about the "Active Quest". More times than I can remember I've completed a portion of a quest only to have the "active quest" jump to another one. The problem arises when you start heading toward what you think is the next task in the progression of that quest and you suddenly look and the active quest has been arbitrarily changed to what the game considers the "primary" quest. You could be halfway to a different world only to find that where you really wanted to go was a few feet from where you were two skyways ago. I'm not asking for changes... it's easy enough to check the quest after you complete one... one only has to remember to do it!
True, true. I think you're right, what would happen without the sidetracked quests. Thank you.