Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Story Moving Forward

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Pirate101 is at a critical juncture and it's essential the story go the right direction moving forward, not just to retain existing players but to reel in new and returning players. That in mind, I hope that management and the creative team will give this some careful consideration:

When Pirate101 announced that this was the end of the first arc, it had even some of the most extreme game loyalists worried. "Blind Mew" (Sam Johnson) has hinted a lot about the structure of the remainder of the arc. Seeing that the arc structure has definitely changed, I felt compelled to share what I believe is a widely-held opinion about the direction, in the same sense that the idea that KingsIsle should focus on MMOs was widely-held.

We do not want to see content cut from the story. We've waited three years and we're now in no hurry to rush the end of an arc. If you are simply going to expose us to Kane and the elites, then we spend the next arc continuing on the path set forth so far, fine. But as Blind Mew himself has stated, it's poor writing to have someone just show up as a villain and be defeated. I also don't know how El Dorado would be squished into this one book, and Blind Mew has also stated - and the community concurs - that it'd be "pretty lame" to build it up and not go there. Understanding that may be a future intent, it still wouldn't work well to wrap up the Armada story without it.

So where should the story go? This should be an epic encounter, and based on what I've seen that you all have posted, it will be. But the Armada should just be warming up. We finally find out their purpose and their Grand Design and the second arc is then the process of stopping them. No content should be cut - we continue on the path. The Armada story is simply divided into two arcs.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get this piece of the puzzle right to ensure a pleasant future for Pirate101. Take all the time you need. Better to do it right than do it quick. I offer this feedback with the game's best interest in mind.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Captain
Sep 19, 2012
Swordroll on May 17, 2016 wrote:
Pirate101 is at a critical juncture and it's essential the story go the right direction moving forward, not just to retain existing players but to reel in new and returning players. That in mind, I hope that management and the creative team will give this some careful consideration:

When Pirate101 announced that this was the end of the first arc, it had even some of the most extreme game loyalists worried. "Blind Mew" (Sam Johnson) has hinted a lot about the structure of the remainder of the arc. Seeing that the arc structure has definitely changed, I felt compelled to share what I believe is a widely-held opinion about the direction, in the same sense that the idea that KingsIsle should focus on MMOs was widely-held.

We do not want to see content cut from the story. We've waited three years and we're now in no hurry to rush the end of an arc. If you are simply going to expose us to Kane and the elites, then we spend the next arc continuing on the path set forth so far, fine. But as Blind Mew himself has stated, it's poor writing to have someone just show up as a villain and be defeated. I also don't know how El Dorado would be squished into this one book, and Blind Mew has also stated - and the community concurs - that it'd be "pretty lame" to build it up and not go there. Understanding that may be a future intent, it still wouldn't work well to wrap up the Armada story without it.

So where should the story go? This should be an epic encounter, and based on what I've seen that you all have posted, it will be. But the Armada should just be warming up. We finally find out their purpose and their Grand Design and the second arc is then the process of stopping them. No content should be cut - we continue on the path. The Armada story is simply divided into two arcs.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get this piece of the puzzle right to ensure a pleasant future for Pirate101. Take all the time you need. Better to do it right than do it quick. I offer this feedback with the game's best interest in mind.

well said :)
stormy jen silver

Captain
May 16, 2011

This isn't the end of the first arc. Definitely not. For one, the Armada doesn't have all the rest of the pieces of the map, we still need to go to Grizzleheim for Erica the Red's piece. Second, I doubt we're even ready for a full scale heist/assault on the Armada's massive headquarters. Third, Blind Mew has mentioned that there will be at least 20 books in this arc. Lastly, the newsletter only says questions concerning the first arc's ending will be answered. Not the arc itself. I think this will put you at ease.

~ Hank

Ensign
Dec 08, 2008
I couldn't agree more. The story on P101 has always been very promising, and I would hate to see it turn like *other games* that simply focus on releasing one world at a time (for the sake of having new content) without building up key --story-- questions or thinking about what's ahead on the storyline more than just defeat "the final boss".

Sure, the P101 community has been thirsty for story content for quite a long time, and we're thrilled to finally have it at our doorstep. But we don't want just any story written to go with a world, we want the story that been promised to us and hinted all other these boards!

I have started to feel this back when the KI game teams merged and Falmea stepped in talking about exploring the "many ways" to tell the pirate story. Though I admire her work, that sentence gave me the feeling of not just how to -tell- the story we been expecting but to rewrite it completely... using whatever pieces have been built and left from the original plan, Valencia should have been the closest in store so no doubt they wouldn't discard it. What truly worries me is what coming next...

A few Letters later (the most recent one actually), we learn this book will be the close to the "first Arc" though it had been much discussed that the arc's end would be closer to book 20. This announcement just reinforces the feeling the original story have been given up and we're starting a fresh one out of what's left off.

Overall, while I feel some great work have been done with this update, it's no secret players have been preparing for a long-term trip in this story and ending it now would be devastating. Though we want content, we truly want the story we been waiting for so long, no matter how awesome one may think a new one will become.

I realize KI won't change this update's story simply by feedback. I just hope it's close to what it should be and leave my advice here that it would be a indescribable mistake to give it all away after so much discussion.

~R

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015

Maybe so, but I found a peice of evidence recently that strongly supports the fact we will be defeating Kane this expansion (I don't want this to happen) in the video teaser and a Fansite exclusive picture we see the leaning tower of Pisa, in the puppet show where Avery discusses the armada we see the clockworks created and marching through the street after they won the Polarian war, and what can you see in the background? The leaning tower, if the clockworks were created in Florenza then that's where the toymaker is, so he will give us the weakness, now if we have this kryptonite then it just doesn't make sense to not use it
This is all speculation and I look forward to seeing the answer some time soon

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Well said and well thought out stuff here that mirrors my thoughts too

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011

Well said, but there's just one tidbit, the 1st arc is not "divided" into 2 arcs, one for El Dorado & the other for the Armada. They're all bundled into the one & the same arc that is moving forward. There's no original intention to split that up into two arcs either way.

We're not going to "spend the next arc" to go to El Dorado, going there is still in the 1st arc. All of Marco Pollo's Map Pieces are still needed to get there, & the Armada has been yet to be completely defeated once and for all, & Book 15 won't signal their demise.

I don't think the arc's structure's been changed completely. It's how the story continues with the latest changes in the game with the latest updates that's been keeping it slowed down for long, like the Advanced Pets, more Epics to our Companions, etc..

I took readings about your in-depth post about Valencia II, underneath "A Change in Schedule", & based on your words, you're right. There's no sudden decision to end the arc with Book 15, nor will it ever be split into 2 arcs in one sitting. The 1st arc about the Armada & El Dorado both have the same end point, & it will be here in good time. Many others spinning such tales about the arc's unintended changes won't help prove their claims at all.

Falmea probably read Mew's previous story thread posts time to time, & even with the MMO Live Team made, she's still holds a good place that the original plan to the 1st arc still stands, no matter what. Even she knows we don't want the arc to end so suddenly. To know the real course & remember it, one must look to the past.

All the same, Book 15 won't really end the arc, nor will it signal it being split into 2 arcs. Their original story course target hasn't been changed. Once they truly settle on it's real ending, they will begin to plan the real 2nd arc & the next Big Bad that will take Kane's place upon his final ultimate defeat in the true final battle against Kane to come.

All we can do now is wait. Test will be up, & we'll have truths.

Captain
May 16, 2011
Thunder Hawk on May 18, 2016 wrote:
This isn't the end of the first arc. Definitely not. For one, the Armada doesn't have all the rest of the pieces of the map, we still need to go to Grizzleheim for Erica the Red's piece. Second, I doubt we're even ready for a full scale heist/assault on the Armada's massive headquarters. Third, Blind Mew has mentioned that there will be at least 20 books in this arc. Lastly, the newsletter only says questions concerning the first arc's ending will be answered. Not the arc itself. I think this will put you at ease.

~ Hank
Nevermind. Misread the Producer's Letter. It does basically say the first arc ends. Blind Mew did say the 20 book thing 2 years ago, so he may have condensed things.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
I really do hope the story is
1. well written
2. makes sense from the drop off
3. doesn't escalate too quickly (which has been a concern, we don't want to drink it all up too fast)
4. not the same as the Wizard101 world enemies
and lastly is long enough to satisfy us all. I am not up to date on everything because I haven't been on very often this month because I got tired of leveling pirates (its the same story on loop...). There has been speculation that after we stop at Valencia we will go to Krokatopia (because of the hieroglyph thing in Marley Bone and the out fit the musketeers have and the whole its in Krokotopian A or B...or whatever) or Grizzelheim which we don't have much to work off of other than the fact we know Erica's piece is there. I have been waiting a long time (but not as long as others) and hope that the next chapter in the game will be great (though please no more Scylla-like boss battles...it was a nightmare!).

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Thunder Hawk on May 18, 2016 wrote:

~ Hank
I hate to disagree with you but

we still need to go to Grizzleheim for Erica the Red's peice
The armada could of easily done this even back while our pirates were in Cool Ranch, they could have even found our Mothers peice so they have 4 and we have3 so if we did beat the armada we would have all the map pieces going to El Dorado and thus ending the arc, if you don't think that the Armada couldn't do that, I'm sure the army numbers in at least 5000 troops

I doubt we're even ready for a full scale heist/assault on the Armada's massive headquarters
Who knows where we will battle Kane, could it be the massive machine? Maybe not because in Calabria skyway it's all surrounded by land unless we went in through Aragorn skyway, being ready or not is up to KI

Blind Mew has mentioned that there will be at least 20 books in this arc
Those words are very old the plans could have easily been changed

The newsletter only says questions concerning the first arc's ending will be answered. Not the arc itself.
Or what she said could have been literal, the end of the arc

I do not wish that the arc ends but there is always the possibility and proof of it, but like all of the theories they will be judged during the test realm and the update itself

Community Leader
What I am gathering is that whether or not this actually IS the end of the first arc, pretty much everyone believes it SHOULDN'T be. I hope that will be communicated very strongly to the designers and the writers and management. This is not the ending we want.

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Swordroll on May 20, 2016 wrote:
What I am gathering is that whether or not this actually IS the end of the first arc, pretty much everyone believes it SHOULDN'T be. I hope that will be communicated very strongly to the designers and the writers and management. This is not the ending we want.
I completely agree. I don't even want a very shortened story. The original course, while standing, still need to be played through. No story in P101 should stop over halfway through, not even at 75%. A very shortened story always gives out disastrous results. Book 15 should not end the 1st arc, & I'm very sure it never will be the end.

The test update notes already said, "This update brings the continuation of the Pirate101 story...", not the conclusion, so, it's still way too soon to end the 1st arc.

The 1st arc about the Armada & El Dorado will still go on once Book 15 goes Live, & I know there's bound to be plot twists that will take us by surprise, & leave our villainous Big Bad more menacing & threatening than ever, & Kane's real Grand Design proceeds like he planned since the beginning.

Once P101's 1st arc gets a true, more proper, & really epic finale, that really ultimately ends in a multi-form ultimate final battle against the Big Bad, & we emerge victorious, someone else that we haven't seen before will take Kane's place as the new Big Bad in the 2nd arc, that will be planned & made, once the 1st arc is properly done.

Besides, there's plenty to do & see, & so many questions to answer, with more on our way.