Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Inspiration for Isle Of Doom storyline?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 27, 2008
Hi,

I noticed some similarities between this storyline,setting and the film Apocalypse now, like Gortez acting liking Colonel Kurtz. I could be wrong but was that the inspiration for the questline?

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
morgwin on May 14, 2016 wrote:
Hi,

I noticed some similarities between this storyline,setting and the film Apocalypse now, like Gortez acting liking Colonel Kurtz. I could be wrong but was that the inspiration for the questline?
I just thought I'd say hello and welcome to the message boards! I hadn't noticed that connection yet myself, so glad you saw it :)
stormy jen silver

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Hi,

I, too have noticed the similarities. Between this and the frogfather, someone at KI must love Coppola films.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hi,

Yes.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Hi,

Gortez is based off of Gortez, a general of the Spanish conquistadors but I do like your take on it

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SpellBinder Darius on May 16, 2016 wrote:
Gortez is based off of Gortez, a general of the Spanish conquistadors but I do like your take on it
The name was Cortez, but he didn't grow crazy and try to set up a kingdom in the jungle; this is a very obvious reference to that movie even with a character named "Hopper" ( the actor Dennis Hopper was in the movie. )

Ensign
Jul 27, 2008
Hi all, thanks for the replies, I too noticed Frogfather (any chance of a Frogfather companion? ).

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I'd like to also point out that both the quest line for Isle of Doom, and the movie Apocalypse Now were based on the Joseph Conrad novel Heart of Darkness. However, I've noticed that there are more similarities between the movie and the quest line, rather than the quest line and the novel.