Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I think I know why the Spiral is called the Spiral

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Hi there! I think I know why the Spiral, is called the Spiral. Our galaxy, The Milky Way, is called a "Spiral Galaxy". There are Irregular galaxies, Elliptical galaxies, and Spiral galaxies. The Spiral is most likely based off of the type of galaxy, the Spiral Galaxy. I always thought "the Spiral" in Pirate101 was one big planet much like Earth, but I recently had the thought of, "What if the Spiral is one big 'Spiral' galaxy and all the Worlds are planets?" It may sound a little bit silly, but I believe that that is what the Spiral is: One big galaxy. That's my hypothesis about this.

Also, have you ever heard of the North Star? The North Star's name is Polaris. Why is Alaska freezing? Because it's northern. Southern states, such as Florida, are warmer. Polaris is just like Paris, just adding in the "ol" into it to make it cold. I'm not saying that France is always cold, but what I am saying is that KingsIsle made Polaris that way. Polaris is, of course, polar, but also The North Star is northern, just like how Alaska is cold because it's also northern. Get it? This is another theory of mine.

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, a.k.a. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 36 Swashbuckler

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013
Nice deduction. I think many people knew the Spiral was called the Spiral because it looks like a Spiral of worlds with the center being Wizard City. Thus you have, The Spiral....

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
Nice thinking. Just wanted to add though, Polaris isn't based of France. Next time you get a chance, take a good look at those scary Polar Bear soldiers. You might be able to put two and two together after then.

Ensign
Aug 27, 2012
I'm fairly sure Polaris is based on France, Nepoleguin is definitely based on Nepoleon, who, of course, was the ruler of France, also in the quest "Those Chippy Fish" Ratbeard comments on the fact that, in Skull Island, we call these "chips" Polaris Fries, but in Polaris they just call them Fries. Does that remind anyone of, oh I don't know, FRENCH Fries?

Just making sure everyone is clear,
Thanks for listening,

Lvl 65

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
WizardryMastery on May 15, 2016 wrote:
Nice thinking. Just wanted to add though, Polaris isn't based of France. Next time you get a chance, take a good look at those scary Polar Bear soldiers. You might be able to put two and two together after then.
KI rarely bases a single world on a single country or theme. Polaris is inspired by a mix of revolutionary Russia, and revolutionary France. Yes, the polar bears and walruses appear Russian, but the penguins (including Napologuine) are inspired by French revolutionaries as well as Napoleon's military. Example, Polaris has the Bastille, which was a real prison fortress in France.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Polaris is partly based on France, as you can tell by the Penguin's accent, plus the fact that their leader is a parody of Napoleon ( incidentally Napoleon was Corsican ); the other part is based on Russia, and the Bears speak with a Russian accent and wear traditional Russian clothing.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Oh so Napoleguin just happens to sound like Napoleon, coincidence? It isn't

Polaris is based off of both France and Russia but what we see is more of the French side of Polaris, which is also very little of the world

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
SpellBinder Darius on May 16, 2016 wrote:
Oh so Napoleguin just happens to sound like Napoleon, coincidence? It isn't

Polaris is based off of both France and Russia but what we see is more of the French side of Polaris, which is also very little of the world
I know that Napoleguin is based off of Napoleon. I've read all about Napoleon's reign and how he attempted to conquer all of Europe and blah blah blah. Trust me, I had to hear the story over and over. I also know he was able to invade and make Austria, Prussia, and Russia allies to France. And that he attempted to go all out on Russia, and failed. Which ties in how he attempted to take on many worlds of the Spiral. (All of them being based off European countries). And Napoleon's failure of the total invasion of Russia ties into Napoleguin's own men going against him. (The Polar Bears).

But what I meant to say is that Polaris is based off Russia, and the invaded parts of Russia which caused there to be an alliance between the two nations. But Polaris is completely based on Russia. Both invaded, and non-invaded.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
As far as we know, in the often spoken backstory from W101, the Spiral was formed because Bartleby's children battled each other for supremacy, and in turn, they broke the many numerous countless worlds apart in the chaos, including the long eternal conflict between Grandmother Raven and Grandfather Spider.

In the near end of such chaos, Bartleby, the World Tree, and Grandmother Raven soon sung to his children the Song of Creation, that placed them all to slumber, taming the chaos down, and forming the Spiral, with Grandfather Spider being locked away in the Black Hole, hoping that one day, he and his own Children would be free to spread darkness and pure Shadow in the Spiral, reigniting the conflict that was devastating numerous millenniums ago. Other threats besides Spider, who sought to do more chaos, were tamed down, too, and Bartleby, and Raven were not alone in casting them down.

The Song of Creation was passed down to the nine Aztecosaur Lords of Night, sworn to only protect that Song to those who seek to misuse it to create doom in the Spiral, for it's powers are immense and dangerous in the wrong hands.

The Spiral is the one and the same Spiral that takes place in W101 & P101, & the events that are transpired between these games are intertwined with each other. It is parallel to the Milky Way Galaxy, & may not have a shared relationship with it, in terms of how it was created & such, but I'll not delve into it deeper than that.

Well, that's from what I figure so far.