Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My favorite companion

AuthorMessage
Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Egg Shen. He was my very first companion. And he's still going strong now. I can't think of the last time he was on bedrest... Oh wait... Yeah, LAST YEAR. I could go on for hours about how awesome he is.

Oh, and least favorite? The Marchioness. Barely does any damage even with critical hits. Had to revive her every time I use her. A power that I rarely need to use ( And never used for that matter ) And a power I already have about 6 of. Some better than hers. And she's level 62 if you're wondering.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Agreed on both opinions. I used to really like Egg Shen as well, but then they got rid of his flipping animation...

My favorite companion? I don't know why, but mine is Louis Le Bisque. He's an amazing companion, with one of the highest armor stats, the only companion in the game that has that bomb power, but the only one iffy thing for me is his voice. It used to be very good, but now it's steadily becoming more high-pitched and more annoying, which saddens me, because I always thought his French accent was pretty unique and cool.

My least favorite companions are the ones everyone uses. No matter how much the game forces me to use them, I just can't and I just won't. I was never really into any popular characters.

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, this is a tough one. I don't really have a favorite or least favorite for that matter. However, I have had companions that have absolutely obliterated everything in sight in an important battle or something along those lines.

I remember back during my Swashbuckler play through, Gracie Conrad 1 v 1ed Rooke..... and won. It was amazing. She continually got off super hits with Vengeance Strike and Blade Storm. It was glorious.

In Aquila, after Buffalo Bill's promotion, he put in so much work, too. I can't count the number of times he pulled me out of trouble. And this was before the new epic system was out into palace, so he only had like three epics. It didn't matter. He destroyed everything with that rifle of his.

On my Witchdoctor play-through, Lucky Jack Russel, single handily I might add, took down three ninja pig shinobis during Ratbeard's final promotion. Relentless and Bladestorms were going off in every direction and he took down all of them from full health in three consecutive turns. That's probably the most impressive thing any of my companions have ever done in any of my play-throughs.

Lv. 65
Lv. 62
Lv. 18
Lv. 15

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on May 11, 2016 wrote:
Agreed on both opinions. I used to really like Egg Shen as well, but then they got rid of his flipping animation...

My favorite companion? I don't know why, but mine is Louis Le Bisque. He's an amazing companion, with one of the highest armor stats, the only companion in the game that has that bomb power, but the only one iffy thing for me is his voice. It used to be very good, but now it's steadily becoming more high-pitched and more annoying, which saddens me, because I always thought his French accent was pretty unique and cool.

My least favorite companions are the ones everyone uses. No matter how much the game forces me to use them, I just can't and I just won't. I was never really into any popular characters.
"Popular" characters are popular for a reason - they offer something ( either buffs or strong attacks ) to their captains.
I'm really surprised when I see someone not use a "popular" companion; it's almost as if they wish to be handicapped in battle.But I'm equally surprized when certain main quest line companions are ignored - Barnabus is a case in point. From what I see in the Tower, he is under utilized, and he's such a great, strong companion to use!
Louis is also often ignored in favor of Chantal and Bonnie. Swashbucklers have a very good selection of companions, yet all I see them use are Fan & Toro. Witchdoctors have gotten a good boost with Old Scratch, but have you ever seen one use their Helephant Destroyer?
This all makes me wonder if this 3 year wait has been good for strategy at all, or if everyone has got into a rut of using a certain few because they work best in certain dungeons ( like the Tower. )

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Playing as a Witchdoctor I have to go with Old Scratch. With stacked Mojo Echo he can be pretty formidable but his best function is boosting. A couple of WD using Scratch to boost damage and totals can get unbelievably high.
Plus, he has that great eye! And who could complain about a Rasta companion? I know I an' I can't, Captain my Captain.
Now, leave me be and let me work me art.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
anecorbie on May 11, 2016 wrote:
"Popular" characters are popular for a reason - they offer something ( either buffs or strong attacks ) to their captains.
I'm really surprised when I see someone not use a "popular" companion; it's almost as if they wish to be handicapped in battle.But I'm equally surprized when certain main quest line companions are ignored - Barnabus is a case in point. From what I see in the Tower, he is under utilized, and he's such a great, strong companion to use!
Louis is also often ignored in favor of Chantal and Bonnie. Swashbucklers have a very good selection of companions, yet all I see them use are Fan & Toro. Witchdoctors have gotten a good boost with Old Scratch, but have you ever seen one use their Helephant Destroyer?
This all makes me wonder if this 3 year wait has been good for strategy at all, or if everyone has got into a rut of using a certain few because they work best in certain dungeons ( like the Tower. )
No one uses the helephant because by the time you get him, you are fighting really difficult battles, some people don't even know he exists and he always misses, altough if he gets another epic through a promotion or from lvl 75 I might give him a try

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SpellBinder Darius on May 12, 2016 wrote:
No one uses the helephant because by the time you get him, you are fighting really difficult battles, some people don't even know he exists and he always misses, altough if he gets another epic through a promotion or from lvl 75 I might give him a try
My witchdoctor uses him, he has Hold the Line and he can stop those pesky Cotta in their tracks, add in Vengeance Strike and he's a force to be reckoned with. Mine has a good accuracy and rarely misses, he criticals well enough, too.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
anecorbie on May 11, 2016 wrote:
I'll typically only use the "unpopular" companions on occasion. For instance, if I'm going on a snack run in Devilfish Landing or another lower level area I'll use the Helephant Destroyer, Bat Masterson or any of the others that I don't normally have in my main team. Typically when I do this I'll abandon the story-line and devote a full day or more to snack gathering, badge collections and nautical XP and such and assign my "maxed" companions to Keel Haulin' so they're busy while I'm farming.
I admit, I'm one who uses the same basic team for nearly all actual story-line quests, especially if I'm not sure what to expect from the enemies. Scratch, Carcarius and Bonnie Anne are my first string. My main second teamer is El Toro, for entertainment value as much as his effectiveness. I try to throw other "back-up" guys in every once in a while but more often than not it ends badly for them.

Ensign
Aug 27, 2012
My favorite companion group would be the starter companions, Egg, Wing, Sobodai, Kan, and my all time favorite, Kobe just cause he looks so cool and is a Swashbuckler so has great damage and can get in some good critical chains. But I also like The Marchioness, and in my experience she has good damage and can get some great critical chains especially with discipline (or enduring discipline), in my opinion she is like the Privateer version of Fan, only she's Royalty. Of course for Privateers, Musketeers and most importantly Witchdoctors Scratch is essential, My Witchdoctor used to use the Helephant Destroyer and I did level him up to max but he spends most of his time on orders(usually Pet Wrangling) and in the tower I use always Scratch and usually bring Kan or if he's dead, Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah, so I usually don't use have a reason to use my Helephant.

Hoping for some new promotions/companions in the update,
Thanks for listening,

Lvl 65