Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklageddon

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
Hides are a swashbuckler's most important tool of the trade. It gives them the perfect opportunity to use poisons, avoid getting hit, and make assassin's strike really powerful. Ironically though, swashbuckler players are going to have an epic, specifically designed for their school, that will destroy the class's most useful power, flanking . Flanking has broken so many of my companion's hides, and I fear the day that it will destroy mine. KI, if you do not remove this epic soon, swashbucklers are going to lose their edge in battle and are soon going to become weak compared to all the other schools, and nobody wants that. So please, either remove flanking from the game, or give an option to turn it on or off in combat. Don't let swashbucklageddon occur.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratemonster3002 on Mar 2, 2016 wrote:
Hides are a swashbuckler's most important tool of the trade. It gives them the perfect opportunity to use poisons, avoid getting hit, and make assassin's strike really powerful. Ironically though, swashbuckler players are going to have an epic, specifically designed for their school, that will destroy the class's most useful power, flanking . Flanking has broken so many of my companion's hides, and I fear the day that it will destroy mine. KI, if you do not remove this epic soon, swashbucklers are going to lose their edge in battle and are soon going to become weak compared to all the other schools, and nobody wants that. So please, either remove flanking from the game, or give an option to turn it on or off in combat. Don't let swashbucklageddon occur.
You don't have to train or use gear/pet that grants Flanking, so why are you panicking? Where did you get the information that this Talent is going to become mandatory for our class?

Ensign
Nov 15, 2008
anecorbie on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
You don't have to train or use gear/pet that grants Flanking, so why are you panicking? Where did you get the information that this Talent is going to become mandatory for our class?
It's because fan starts with flanking.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
I am a max and I have to heavily disagree with this topic, i LOVE this trait and use it every chance I can get. Its all a matter of knowing HOW to use it. my favorite thing about this trait is that I can trigger my other traits before I even attack to get a nice combo going (flank this person, follow through, first strike, riposte, ok NOW I hit my opponent) If you don't like a trait in the game, I would recommend learning the trait front to back, so that way you know HOW to trigger it, and it doesn't become "accidental."

Of course this is my opinion, as they always say "knowledge is power"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
wizardf on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
It's because fan starts with flanking.
Yes, and Sarah starts with Repel Boarders, so why on Earth think that these talents will be forced on SBs?

Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
Yes, and Sarah starts with Repel Boarders, so why on Earth think that these talents will be forced on SBs?
It's also because one of the side attributes of the Nefarious Knives which are designed FOR SWASHBUCKLERS give flanking.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
If flanking is a real issue, just try not to flank the enemy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Logan Sharp on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
I am a max and I have to heavily disagree with this topic, i LOVE this trait and use it every chance I can get. Its all a matter of knowing HOW to use it. my favorite thing about this trait is that I can trigger my other traits before I even attack to get a nice combo going (flank this person, follow through, first strike, riposte, ok NOW I hit my opponent) If you don't like a trait in the game, I would recommend learning the trait front to back, so that way you know HOW to trigger it, and it doesn't become "accidental."

Of course this is my opinion, as they always say "knowledge is power"
That's all very well, Logan, and it's great that you have taken a talent that many see as hindering and have learned to use it to it's full potential, but as for me, I WANT to use my Assassin's Strike with the bonus weapon damage. And Flanking has a flaw; it's not as useful against another max SB ( FS3, y'know ).
So, we do get a choice and that's awesome - flank or not to flank, it's left up to the player to decide.

Petty Officer
Feb 06, 2016
What?
It's optional, the only things that give it are pet grants, Nefarious Knives and the hidden trainer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
piratemonster3002 on Mar 3, 2016 wrote:
It's also because one of the side attributes of the Nefarious Knives which are designed FOR SWASHBUCKLERS give flanking.
I know this, also the gear from the Empire Bungle has the Flank talent as well, my advice is if you hate this talent so much - don't use items that grant it. Its not going to be forced on SBs as a part of our training.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Mar 4, 2016 wrote:
I know this, also the gear from the Empire Bungle has the Flank talent as well, my advice is if you hate this talent so much - don't use items that grant it. Its not going to be forced on SBs as a part of our training.
I now have a mental image of Morgan Lafitte saying "You will flank and you will like it!"

I like it. Sometimes it doesn't work out as well as I'd like, but that's true of everything in life. You roll with the punches and try to learn from them.