Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Hoodoo in Wizard City

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 18, 2014
What would wizards from Wizard City think of the Witch doctors from Skull Island? And what would they think of the way they use magic? Would they look down on this type of magic as being "less than" the magic they use? Do you think Ambrose would allow Madame Vadima to run a school of her type of magic in the Wizard City?

Ensign
Sep 08, 2015
I play both games, and both have their unique way of "magic". Witches abuse the powers of nature, while the wizards DRAW power from their ancestors. (Dragons? Giants?)So, i think that maybe our witches will be more welcomed in Wysteria, than Ravenwood. But it doesn't hurt to try, right?

Fiona Dreamer Ice
Annoying Amber Witch

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Powder Monkey on Jan 1, 2016 wrote:
What would wizards from Wizard City think of the Witch doctors from Skull Island? And what would they think of the way they use magic? Would they look down on this type of magic as being "less than" the magic they use? Do you think Ambrose would allow Madame Vadima to run a school of her type of magic in the Wizard City?

I've been thinking about the relationship between Wizard magic and Witchdoctor magic for awhile.
I'd say consider Wizard magic as High Magic, which is learned through years of study and practice. I'd say the source of Wizard magic would be the inherent magic left over from the first word and the creation of the Spiral.

Witchdoctor magic is more of a Low Magic or a folk magic. Instead of pulling magical energy left over from the first world, and spending years learning to control pure magic, witchdoctors make deals with elder beings to gain access with magic. So, where a Wizard can tap into magic directly at the source, a Witchdoctor has to make dealings with some being who can access magic directly.

So, while potentially being as powerful as Wizard Magic, I'd expect Hoodoo to be much less controllable, or reliable. All the Witchdoctor has to do is something that annoys the beings they deal with, and their magic is cut off.

I expect that wizards would look down on Witchdoctors and Hoodoo as inferior, unreliable, and potentially evil.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

If you got as far as Zafaria in W101, you find that there is at least one Witchdoctor; a Zebra named Whitestripe.
He advises and helps you through Zafaria. I don't believe, though, that HooDoo magic would be welcomed in the academic setting of Ravenwood.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010

Well Vadima was supposed to have gotten kicked out of pigswick acadamy for practicing black magic. So...I don't think wizards would like witchdoctors very much.Then again, Ambrose lets your wizard practice shadow magic after a certain point in the story, so I guess it's up for debate.

The Grin Reaper