Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

You're kidding....

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 06, 2009
Pirate101 fan on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
I think you guys are over reacting. It takes alot of time and effort to make a new world when you have to implement ports ans ships and all of that when over 10 times as many people play wizard101 so you can see why development for that game is a priority more than this game
how can you say complaining about a 3 year wait is over reacting? yes more people have played wizard- but duh- wizard has had continuous development of new areas. pirate was about the same as wiz was at the end of year 1-2, declined because of lack of development, therefore ki's own fault. In Wiz, we had side worlds and extra dungeons to farm while we waited the ONE year for a new world. I think the longest wait , was for celestia and wintertusk, they came out more less at same time. We also had gardening and crafting in wizard - which I believe Rat Beard said Pirate would see.. I don't pvp but even that took much longer than anticipated on our end.
Pirate was a well on its way game when KI stopped the development. We have no way of knowing what internal changes happened at KI back in 2013 when there was change of personnel but it sure affected the game. This game's solid foundation was in play, and what the future worlds would be was planned, so why wasn't it continued? Making excuses for KI doesn't cut it. The people who do this need to wake up. There are thousands of game programmers/developers around, so that shouldn't be a problem. Half the game , in terms of the map pieces, is already in play. So we aren't taking a game from scratch!

Lack of communication with Pirate clientele has been causing many problems and resulting in a lack of faith in the company. People who pay the yearly membership have really been paying for nothing the past 2 years in terms of game playing. The one dungeon , pvp, and a multitude of pets isn't worth that cost. Yet people have done it in hopes of a new chapter/world. Because KI 'hints' that we can look forward to interesting times.

I don't spend as much time playing as I use to, I am bored with doing same thing over and over. My level 65's , what is there to do besides hatch? or the moo tower? As I have said before, forget pvp. So once in awhile, I make a new pirate, but mostly these days I read books.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
TheHoodooQueen on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
My only question is this. When Wizards start to wonder about a new world, KI gives them the scoop. When Pirates start asking, we start asking questions to a brick wall. No answer, not a thing. Its frustrating watching as Wizard gets this, that, and the other and we're here on the bleachers waiting for the game to end. We just sit cross legged, arms folded, blowing the hair out of our faces while patiently waiting for KI to give us something. But that patience is running out FAST. All we ask is a hint, some reassurance, anything that could keep us sitting here on the bleachers promising us something wonderful. But the bleachers are about to break, and the game for me personally is close to an end. If we don't receive something new by the end of 2016 I'm throwing in the towel.
I really like this post. It sums it up perfectly. Come on, KI, us pirates have gotten what, ONE update this year, and wizards have gotten so much, almost too much, in my opinion. In my opinion, KI is very biased to the wizards. Seriously, Polaris already in wizard101 before pirate101? Come on.

The wait has to end, if anything, next year. We've waited way too long and all we've gotten are these small little fluff updates, while Wizard101 has gotten updates up the wall. It's certainly not fair. At least an explanation or assurance on why it's taking so long will make me satisfied. Come on.

If there's no update by May, I'm seriously going to consider whether I should keep playing this game or not.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
Personally I will NOT wait another year. I will wait a few weeks after the first of the coming year (2016) and then I will say ENOUGH.

Enough of the lack of feedback
Enough of the so called "hints" but no real substance
Enough of the FLUFF - but no story line.

I have to agree that the failure on KI's part to keep the players informed as to the progress of anything resembling more story line or new worlds is totally unacceptable. I am amazed that a company can have such a double policy - Inform players in one game / yet keep them totally in the dark in another.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Fearless Finnagan on Dec 20, 2015 wrote:
Perhaps, but you may wait an eternity for wealth and happiness to rain from the skies, you will all the meanwhile die of lack of food and water. If this is a test, it's a darn good one.
Aye but patience ALWAYS be the key, ye'll see.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Trimond297 on Dec 21, 2015 wrote:
(sigh)... Why do people keep presuming W101 is more important than P101 these days?
Because Wizard gets worlds and we don't? Wizard gets new bundles and we don't? Wizard gets new card packs and we don't?

Can't imagine why folks would think Wizard is more important to KI than Pirate.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
jack morgan933 on Dec 22, 2015 wrote:
Aye but patience ALWAYS be the key, ye'll see.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
I agree, but patience to a certain level. Being patient for something that will never come is just plain foolishness. Do not go through life waiting for something, enjoy what's there. And those other games that are being updated frequently are becoming increasingly tempting......

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
My thought is that we should not begrudge the flagship game its updates. Wizard101 is what Kingsisle was founded on. The more Wizard101 is successful, the more chance Pirate101 has of catching up. We should not mind dangling on the wizard coattails, so long as we can keep playing and enjoying our game.

If they neglected Wizard101, things would definitely go from bad to worse for us Pirates.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
I'm surprised moderator(s) are letting through these messages... but its all good, thanks for giving us some freedom of speech :)

To sum up what people say: yes nearly 3 years is way too long, but the worst is lack of communication, we might understand if KI actually gave a reason as to why it takes so long, but they dont say anything, I just dont get it...

Also I agree with Willow, P101 sort of depends on W101 revenues, so we should be glad in a way that W101 is successful.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
Silver Angel on Dec 22, 2015 wrote:
I'm surprised moderator(s) are letting through these messages... but its all good, thanks for giving us some freedom of speech :)

To sum up what people say: yes nearly 3 years is way too long, but the worst is lack of communication, we might understand if KI actually gave a reason as to why it takes so long, but they dont say anything, I just dont get it...

Also I agree with Willow, P101 sort of depends on W101 revenues, so we should be glad in a way that W101 is successful.
As fed up as I am with the lack of updates, I believe the reason why the moderators are letting these messages through is because they know its true, and it would be disrespectful to not let them through. KI knows that all these messages are true, but I still see nothing. As I look 5 months into the future of Pirate I still see the same Skull Island, I still see people reluctantly lining up in from of Moo, I still see players getting frustrated at PVP, and I still see my patience slowly leaking out and flowing somewhere else. At this point all of the players are obligated to their opinion and for anyone to counter their opinion would be horrendous and stripping them of freedom of speech (though some might need filters). But in prospect if the fluff, lack of story, and no reassurance keeps up Pirate might soon come to an end.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Looks like we got a nice hurricane here. I'm gonna just open my parachute and see where the wind takes it.

It's funny that we live in a place called the Spiral, since that's a great symbol to represent the economic structure of P101 & W101 (as I see it anyway).

So, P101/W101, like most MMOs, use the subscription system where you can pay money monthly, semiannually, or annually to get the full service that the game has to offer. There's the crown system of course and that brings in burst of cash from crown players, but I'm getting off topic. The thing with this system is, the company spends $ designing the game and advertising. The consumer sees said advertisement and they become interested in the game. They become subscribers and eventually a fan-base emerges. This brings in more money for advertising and development, which in turn, lead to said fan-base talking about how awesome the game is and more advertisements being made, which brings more subscribers, and thus, money. It is a model that although may be immoral, works well.

Unfortunately, the spiral goes both ways. If something happens and development grinds to a halt for whatever reason, the fan-base gets concerned. Eventually the wait can get to the point where some people just stop their subscription and move on. This in turn, leads their friends to do the same, and then their friends to do the same, until some update is produced. Unfortunately, with people leaving the game, less money flows into the company, and thus, development and advertising go down. This leads to more people leaving due to the lack of development. The amount of people leaving will get to the point where it's greater than the number of people joining, and money just doesn't flow into the company like it used to. At this point. the game may have to be shut down, or some extraordinary update comes out to bring people back, and begin the spiral upward again. (cont.)

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
(cont.) My point is, KI wants to try to slow down that spiral as long as they can. Why lose money faster right? So if the people of KI development team came out and said "We're facing issues and a story update will be postponed", some people will get impatient and pull their money out. The lack of communication leaves room for interpretation(if that makes any sense). While we'd like to think people are understanding, that's not always the case. The stuff that may be viewed as fluff, is likely just KI's way of trying to keep people by giving them something to do while they try and make the story work. This is the part that is immoral, but it works. If it didn't, we wouldn't be having this debate right now.

Unfortunately, as bad as it may seem, it is for the best that we keep paying. I myself am getting impatient, but I'm more paranoid than impatient. Until my impatience out-ways my paranoia, I'm staying.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

P.S.: We are approximately 2 years and 7 months(as of December 23, 2015) since the last world update(May 23, 2013) and it's been about 4 months and 19 days(as of December 23, 2015) since the last update (August 5 2015 I think. Records were hard to find).

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I have noticed how frustrating this have become as of now, I have notice how many players are fed up with minor updates and lack of story line contents. Cheer up pirates, KI will not let Kane get away with his evil plan. As much as my maxed leveled characters, wanted to continue thire adventure.At least they have the Moo Manchu tower, Ranked pvp and the Smuggler's Arena to keep them busy. My lower leveled characters, at least have the time to catch up, espically the ones in my second account. I'm on my 3rd max character on my 1st account.

On the bright side, at least we have fun and make lots of friends. All we have to do is belive.

I thought we are going to have a test realm, for the upcoming main story line this winter. That would be a great new year's day gift. Oh well, at least we got new Christmas items in the crown shop. ( Just be in a look out for the brass monkey, he owe me a rainbow tree,lol. )

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
In my opinion, the lack of communication regarding the Pirate101 future started when KI combined the Wizard101 and Pirate101 teams into the MMO team. Ever since then, Pirate101 communication has suffered greatly. Does anyone remember the great posts that Blind Mew carried on with us about the possibilities within the Pirate101 side of the Spiral? Has anyone noticed that Ratbeard has recently gone quiet too?

Prior to 2014, communication with the players was something that Pirate101 has always had a leg up over the Wizard101 community. My how things have changed.

We were told that the combining of the teams was a good thing, but I'm not convinced. This is especially true given that a quite few of the KI employees that worked the recently released Polaris are former Pirate101 developers.* This, of course, begs the question of if they have been working on Polaris, whose working on Pirate101?

* reference all the recent KI Live special guests.

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
Monkrinx2024 on Dec 23, 2015 wrote:
I have noticed how frustrating this have become as of now, I have notice how many players are fed up with minor updates and lack of story line contents. Cheer up pirates, KI will not let Kane get away with his evil plan. As much as my maxed leveled characters, wanted to continue thire adventure.At least they have the Moo Manchu tower, Ranked pvp and the Smuggler's Arena to keep them busy. My lower leveled characters, at least have the time to catch up, espically the ones in my second account. I'm on my 3rd max character on my 1st account.

On the bright side, at least we have fun and make lots of friends. All we have to do is belive.

I thought we are going to have a test realm, for the upcoming main story line this winter. That would be a great new year's day gift. Oh well, at least we got new Christmas items in the crown shop. ( Just be in a look out for the brass monkey, he owe me a rainbow tree,lol. )
"At least they have the Moo Manchu tower, Ranked pvp and the Smuggler's Arena to keep them busy."
The thing is, those things are now no longer enough to keep us waiting. Sure Kingsisle can add more fluff to try to keep us waiting, but that will be shot down almost immediately. And you must be lucky to make a lot of friends, the only server that had anyone in it is Avery, and even then I rarely find anyone in there. And unfortunately there is no real bright side, just A LOT of people waiting impatiently for a new storyline update. And I can't believe there are still people like you around. Those who encourage patience and "To Believe". But go you for trying.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Fearless Finnagan on Dec 22, 2015 wrote:
I agree, but patience to a certain level. Being patient for something that will never come is just plain foolishness. Do not go through life waiting for something, enjoy what's there. And those other games that are being updated frequently are becoming increasingly tempting......
That's why I find things in either game to keep me occupied in the meantime mate, try that.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I am more concerned how they handle current updates then when will come next one.

One thing Pirate101 does differently from wizard101 is that they gather all current bugs and glitches and fixes them in the upcoming update (which is in aprox 6 months). This is wrong imo. New updates should have some sort of post maintenance assurance. Meaning that they would have to fix the bugs along the way, not wait for next major update to do that.

Lets take PvP update. It has brought us many interesting things, along with many bugs, glitches, and unbalances that need polishing. I think they should focus first on that. Give us one quality content, even if it takes months to perfect it since the Live release.

Why I am saying this? Imagine now that we get book 15. Nothing is perfect and everything comes with flaws. If they treat that update like the previous ones, we will be more focused on its flaws then enjoyment. Look what they did with Polaris, lots of bugs that were blocking progress for players, and I am not sure if they fixed them all by now. Post-maintenance is a must, until everything is tip-top shape. Otherwise players are just going to be unsatisfied, which is bad for business.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Duncan StormThief on Dec 24, 2015 wrote:
I am more concerned how they handle current updates then when will come next one.

One thing Pirate101 does differently from wizard101 is that they gather all current bugs and glitches and fixes them in the upcoming update (which is in aprox 6 months). This is wrong imo. New updates should have some sort of post maintenance assurance. Meaning that they would have to fix the bugs along the way, not wait for next major update to do that.

Lets take PvP update. It has brought us many interesting things, along with many bugs, glitches, and unbalances that need polishing. I think they should focus first on that. Give us one quality content, even if it takes months to perfect it since the Live release.

Why I am saying this? Imagine now that we get book 15. Nothing is perfect and everything comes with flaws. If they treat that update like the previous ones, we will be more focused on its flaws then enjoyment. Look what they did with Polaris, lots of bugs that were blocking progress for players, and I am not sure if they fixed them all by now. Post-maintenance is a must, until everything is tip-top shape. Otherwise players are just going to be unsatisfied, which is bad for business.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
No. Don't spend months and months fixing something that only a percentage of the players uses. Get us that update (and they do fix major issues as they go along, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes) that has something we've all been waiting on -- a story line update. Then they can twiddle along fixing it as they want, but at least we'll have something that we can do besides snipe at each other.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
At least I tired to cheer up, our fellow pirate 101 players. It's so sad there are so may players given up hope, in pirates.

I may have been too optimistic sometimes. However No offense, even a very loyal player such as me have concerns also regarding the lack of major updates.

I agree a major storyline is long over due.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2008
Pirate101 fan on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
I think you guys are over reacting. It takes alot of time and effort to make a new world when you have to implement ports ans ships and all of that when over 10 times as many people play wizard101 so you can see why development for that game is a priority more than this game
What needs to be understood is that 10 times more people play that game because there have been no story updates in three years.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Monkrinx2024 on Dec 25, 2015 wrote:
At least I tired to cheer up, our fellow pirate 101 players. It's so sad there are so may players given up hope, in pirates.

I may have been too optimistic sometimes. However No offense, even a very loyal player such as me have concerns also regarding the lack of major updates.

I agree a major storyline is long over due.
Oh, I sang that patience tune for a long time. Not singing that song any more. If I, an adult, am growing impatient and cross, think how the younger set must feel.

Petty Officer
May 13, 2010
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
"....we're charting the course for the new year, there are exciting things in store."
I believe our time is coming, just wait for a Falmea Friday. But I do agree it's very frustrating.....
I was hoping the Falmea Friday would happen on the 18th or at the latest the 25th (that would be the best Christmas gift KI could haven given P101, an announcement of book 15!). Unfortunately, that did not happen, the last Falmea Friday was 20 Nov. Next Friday is New Years so we probably wont hear anything until 8 Jan at the earliest.

As many have already posted the lack of communication is very frustrating. Looking at the Falmea Friday on W101 she posts religiously every Friday. For P101 we are lucky to get something once a month, and what we do get it please continue to wait.

It's starting to feel like a customer service line "please continue to hold, your call is important to us. We are very busy and an operator will assist you as soon as possible".

Sorry for the venting but I hate to see one of my favorite games sit and not get the attention I believe it deserves. I was so convinced that we would have at least a solid hint in December I took advantage of the discount membership for me and my son. Hopefully that money will be well spent but only time will tell.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2008
Essentially, Pirate101 is that younger brother who gets a blanket for Christmas to the older brother who gets a new phone. Pirate101 players are starting to feel neglected. Just hurry up Kingsisle. You have so many players waiting and waiting and waiting. What is the hold up? Get your act together please! There is nothing we can do but be patient. We have been patient enough, for the good of the game. I guarantee that your income from P101 is slowing to a trickle, while wizard101 is thriving. Don't neglect W101 just slightly push P101 up as a priority. Devote ALL your attention to it for a little while, get it done, and THEN go back to W101. There are so few things to do, no crafting, no gardening, no fishing. Now don't release those BEFORE the update, do it after.

My biggest concerns while writing this is that

A) Too many players have already left
B) You aren't listening
C) You don't value our opinion

Petty Officer
Nov 30, 2012
Its.. Been a bumpy road at the least. I began to tear up a little at the signs that I might have to abandon the hope for this game soon enough, if that time ever came, not sure what to do. Either way, I'm still trying to enjoy this game some way, how or other. I've tried getting max characters with other classes and testing them out, I even earned some nefarious weapons and such to be waiting for my characters once I get them up there, but still, I don't feel the same way doing the story over again. It was better the first time. Where everything surprised me and I was so glad to ever get a new companion and I was so thankful to get the chance to explore new stuff, all the references such as the Magnificent 7 and such, all made me so happy to talk about in my head even, so glad this game existed.

I came to the thought that perhaps if it takes this long for every major update that I should keep my memories for this game where they are and leave no margin for error for what my memory of this game will be as of now, which was my most favorite game I've ever played, as a PC gamer. No other game caught my style such as this one, as I never found a game that made me so happy to play, it was literally just fun, fun, and some more fun. I loved it. But if it really came to it, I feel it's best I were to leave my thoughts on this game where it stands, before I become more negative towards it, only because of a lack of story content, which in my opinion a game so greatly presented and efficiently made, does not in any shape or form deserve.

Ensign
Apr 02, 2013
Much like the rest of the pirates on these boards I thought this was one of the best games I have ever played. As an adult I have waited patiently for the new updates but I must confess after the December Producers Letter I believe KI is letting this game go. 6 months had passed since the hints in July of upcoming decisions on the game direction and nothing comes in the December letter. My membership expires early in the new year and I will not be renewing. I enjoyed the fun of creating 6 level 65 characters but the constant refusal to communicate from KI only seems to indicate they have nothing to tell us. While not an expert on game development I do not believe it takes 3 years to create another installment in the game. ILL winds are blowing I'm afraid. Sorry for all of our loss.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Davious222 on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
Much like the rest of the pirates on these boards I thought this was one of the best games I have ever played. As an adult I have waited patiently for the new updates but I must confess after the December Producers Letter I believe KI is letting this game go. 6 months had passed since the hints in July of upcoming decisions on the game direction and nothing comes in the December letter. My membership expires early in the new year and I will not be renewing. I enjoyed the fun of creating 6 level 65 characters but the constant refusal to communicate from KI only seems to indicate they have nothing to tell us. While not an expert on game development I do not believe it takes 3 years to create another installment in the game. ILL winds are blowing I'm afraid. Sorry for all of our loss.
Welcome to the message boards, Davious! I'm so sorry that your first post here is such a sad one, I'm not yet ready to "give up the ship", if P101 is dying, I believe KI would inform us, also they wouldn't be implementing Ranked PVP or Naval Gauntlet. Or doing improvements. I have been part of 2 MMO's that went "belly up", and those signs aren't here.
POR ( as my Mom likes to say ) "Press on Regardless"!