Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Spanish Refrences

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 16, 2011
Pirate101 is full of references, of which I don't have a favorite. Instead of dealing with them all at once, let's focus those related to Spanish words. For instance in Spanish, pollo means chicken, and Marco Pollo is a chicken. What else can you come up with?

Ensign
May 23, 2014
The Western Djinni on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Pirate101 is full of references, of which I don't have a favorite. Instead of dealing with them all at once, let's focus those related to Spanish words. For instance in Spanish, pollo means chicken, and Marco Pollo is a chicken. What else can you come up with?
In the same vein, Apollo is a chicken in-game, and they pronounce it (might not be here, might be in Wizard) like 'pollo' (like how it's pronounced in Spanish).

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
Yar! Avast Ye! Welcome to the message boards, sando15!

Another reference i found was El Toro. El Toro means "The Bull".

-Unfair Angel
Somewhere In Aquila
Yohoho!

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
If I remember, a quote from El Toro.From a side quest, from that world he said " Para el queso ! " at the end of of the dialog.

It translates " For the cheese ! "

Ensign
Sep 05, 2010
I have a couple that I'd like to share with you all:

- The [Spanish] Armada are the main antagonists of the game.

- El Tiburon, "The Shark," is a creature in the Flooded Shipwreck of the Scurvy Dog Hideout, Skull Island.

- Valencia is named after the port city on Spain's southeast Orange Blossom Coast.

- Port Regal, referencing Portugal (I'm sure).

- Puerto Mico, literally "Port Monkey," references Puerto Rico.

- Cortés, the Gold Monkey, is named after a famous Spanish conquistador (conqueror), Hernán Cortés.

- And finally, El Dorado, "The Golden" is based off of the mythical lost city of gold.

- Zachary Deveraux

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Austin MoonHunter on Dec 29, 2015 wrote:

- El Tiburon, "The Shark," is a creature in the Flooded Shipwreck of the Scurvy Dog Hideout, Skull Island.

- Valencia is named after the port city on Spain's southeast Orange Blossom Coast.

- Cortés, the Gold Monkey, is named after a famous Spanish conquistador (conqueror), Hernán Cortés.

- And finally, El Dorado, "The Golden" is based off of the mythical lost city of gold.

- Zachary Deveraux
Actually, Port Regal references Port Royal, Jamaica. It was a haven for pirates during the late 17th-18th centuries.
Because of the Spanish influences in Italy at the time of the Renaissance, Valencia uses the name of that city, but it's clearly referencing Italy in the architecture, names and dress of the inhabitants.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013

- Zachary Deveraux
It's actually Gortez in the game. I didn't know the Port Regal one though, thanks for pointing that out
Dashing Duncan Quinn

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012

- Zachary Deveraux
Port Regal is a reference to Port Royale, a city in Jamaica that was famous for the pirate scourge that he British just couldn't get rid of.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Tierra Primata means Monkey or Ape land or something like that.

The Wild Bunch ships have Spanish names, my favorite being Queso Dorado (golden cheese).

Gortez comes from the Spanish explorer Cortez.

Oh, there are so many history things, it's almost impossible to recall them all.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
One of my favorites is when you meet Donkey Hotey and Sancho Panza in La Mancha in Monquista. They take inspiration from Don Quixote de la Mancha, a Spanish narrative about a crazy man who thinks he's living the adventurous life of a knight when he's really just causing a ruckus in the local area. He takes Sancho Panza as his squire. I still need to read the book so unfortunately that's all I know.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

P.S. Does anybody know how the title is actually spelled? I've seen both Quixote and Quijote. Both are pronounced the same however it'd be nice to know how it's supposed to be spelled.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009

- Zachary Deveraux
Good finds on the references, except for Port Regal, which I'd say is a reference for Port Royal, the first major city on Jamaica, until it was destroyed by an earthquake, and the small town of Kingston took over commercial enterprises.

Ensign
Jul 29, 2009

- Zachary Deveraux
Sorry Austin, but I'm pretty sure Port Regal is based off a British Caribbean Colony due to the fact that it is a Marleybonian Colony. A Portuguese inspired world hasn't even been introduced to the Spiral as of now. Port Regal is most likely based off the the British Colony in Jamaica, Port Royal. This theory is almost confirmed due to the fact that the words regal and royal are synonyms.

Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
This one is french, but here it is

Le Chat Noir, means ''The Black Cat'' in French

-Eric