Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witch COMPANIONS too weak

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Ok so this is something I posted on another thread...but wasn't the topic of that thread so it didn't get much attention. But I think it needs to so I am giving it its own topic thread. There is one thing that is really bothering me for a while now and its the witch COMPANIONS...not the witch players. (Let me clarify that right now. This problem does exist with the human player as well but its compensated for which I will elaborate on later...so its not an issue.) I am talking about a players ability to bring characters of their own school into combat with them and having it be viable.

Why oh why, was a witch companion's dodge AND accuracy AND health all lowered? What I have observed is that every companion has an area that is "more boosted" than others...but possibly at the expense of another. Example buckler companions ALL, CONSISTENTLY have both boosted damage AND boosted dodge AND alert...but...they have super low health. Muskets have boosted accuracy at the expense of their dodge. Bucks and privy only main consistent boost is a small health boost. HOWEVER because the buck and privy companions only get one semi health boost...they seem to remain average across the board. They don't DECREASE or anit-buff in one category but remain average. So not having a major boost is ok cause they are the most well rounded. (armor/resist isn't consistent. Some have high but only select few so I to me it doesn't count) Buck companions DO have tide...making them "more boosted" than privy companions.

But the witches have, count them...THREE anti-boosts for one visible benefit that, lets face it, doesn't really help all that much. Their health is as low as a bucklers...but without the awesome damage and dodge boosts. This "might" make more sense if they had TONS more mojo...but no...their mojo is = to all the others unless they give up another talent buff for the mojo ones which is lame and doesn't count. They have dodge that is LOWER than a muskets...but no accuracy boost. In fact...for some odd reason they have been pulled WAY BELOW everyone in the accuracy department as well for some random reason. This might be ok for witch players who are loaded with 3 pages of 100% accuracy spells and mostly use them the entire time...but witch companions have only 1 or 2 if that...so they kind of NEED to be able to attack with normal staff attacks. And for these 3 drops below average...the only benefit they get is more resist. They have on average 60 resist. Which isnt bad...but is it really worth 3 negative benefits?

Now...I wanna end by pointing out that I REALIZE a witches buff is designed to give all schools a benefit. But is this WHY they witch companions stink so much? To force witches to use companions of other schools? Also I would like to point out that this DOES NOT include scratch! I realized that he alone has such major buff spells that it compensates for his lack. ((also he he seems to dodge and hit more than his stats suggest which is fishy))

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 18, 2015 wrote:
Ok so this is something I posted on another thread...but wasn't the topic of that thread so it didn't get much attention. But I think it needs to so I am giving it its own topic thread. There is one thing that is really bothering me for a while now and its the witch COMPANIONS...not the witch players. (Let me clarify that right now. This problem does exist with the human player as well but its compensated for which I will elaborate on later...so its not an issue.) I am talking about a players ability to bring characters of their own school into combat with them and having it be viable.

Why oh why, was a witch companion's dodge AND accuracy AND health all lowered? What I have observed is that every companion has an area that is "more boosted" than others...but possibly at the expense of another. Example buckler companions ALL, CONSISTENTLY have both boosted damage AND boosted dodge AND alert...but...they have super low health. Muskets have boosted accuracy at the expense of their dodge. Bucks and privy only main consistent boost is a small health boost. HOWEVER because the buck and privy companions only get one semi health boost...they seem to remain average across the board. They don't DECREASE or anit-buff in one category but remain average. So not having a major boost is ok cause they are the most well rounded. (armor/resist isn't consistent. Some have high but only select few so I to me it doesn't count) Buck companions DO have tide...making them "more boosted" than privy companions.

But the witches have, count them...THREE anti-boosts for one visible benefit that, lets face it, doesn't really help all that much. Their health is as low as a bucklers...but without the awesome damage and dodge boosts. This "might" make more sense if they had TONS more mojo...but no...their mojo is = to all the others unless they give up another talent buff for the mojo ones which is lame and doesn't count. They have dodge that is LOWER than a muskets...but no accuracy boost. In fact...for some odd reason they have been pulled WAY BELOW everyone in the accuracy department as well for some random reason. This might be ok for witch players who are loaded with 3 pages of 100% accuracy spells and mostly use them the entire time...but witch companions have only 1 or 2 if that...so they kind of NEED to be able to attack with normal staff attacks. And for these 3 drops below average...the only benefit they get is more resist. They have on average 60 resist. Which isnt bad...but is it really worth 3 negative benefits?

Now...I wanna end by pointing out that I REALIZE a witches buff is designed to give all schools a benefit. But is this WHY they witch companions stink so much? To force witches to use companions of other schools? Also I would like to point out that this DOES NOT include scratch! I realized that he alone has such major buff spells that it compensates for his lack. ((also he he seems to dodge and hit more than his stats suggest which is fishy))
Also Old Scratch has 4 range... while most others have 3. Heck I dont even know if there's another WD comp with 4 range... Eep maybe?

Anyway yeah, I posted several suggestion for them in other threads already, so it's obvious I agree they're underpowered.

And about WD players forced to use companions of other schools, you might not be too far off... why do they have Juju's and not will buffs you think? :)

Ensign
Oct 21, 2013
Silver Angel on Oct 19, 2015 wrote:
Also Old Scratch has 4 range... while most others have 3. Heck I dont even know if there's another WD comp with 4 range... Eep maybe?

Anyway yeah, I posted several suggestion for them in other threads already, so it's obvious I agree they're underpowered.

And about WD players forced to use companions of other schools, you might not be too far off... why do they have Juju's and not will buffs you think? :)
No, eep is 3 ranged like the rest of them except old scratch, even though we have juju buffs, I would want to use witch companions often. I hate depending on other school's companions... I want to use my own class companions like Mormo, Carcarius etc often like other classes...

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Doesn't fighting using the same companions and the same moves every time get boring? It would drive me crazy! I really don't know how you all stand it.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Yup I would love to use eep and other witches more. They could be so cool if their stats weren't so terrible.

For example: the shark (Grimtooth) is by far the lamest of that boosted set. Pete, Fan, Chantel, etc...all of those newer companions rock...except Grimtooh. Why? For 2 reasons. One...he is a witch and sadly that means his stats all REALLY stink. And as we pointed out, using a different school of companion is more worth it. Also because he gives will boost which isn't effective at all. With pete or chantel for example their agility or strength boost are great because they help my musket or buck team. But we JUST SAID how witches are kinda built to use a well rounded team. So why a will boost? Shouldn't he have a specialized juju boost instead? Then at least he could boost the whole team instead of just half of it. Idk about you but my witch doesn't use privy companions either. He uses bucks and bucklers.

Anyway I am getting to hung up on that one example. But yeah point is...I know juju helps all schools...but it is limited too because they have to be standing right next to me. All I am saying Is I would like it if witch companions were more viable and less naturally reduced.

Odd thing is I dont think they did it on purpose. I think witch HUMANS were reduced that way...because their spell cards never miss and having reduced stats levels the playing field. And that ratio or relationship simply filtered down and reflected upon the witch companions. But they dont have 3 pages of spells. So the balance doesn't stick any more. Here is hoping they fix it and make witch companions more viable.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 19, 2015 wrote:
Doesn't fighting using the same companions and the same moves every time get boring? It would drive me crazy! I really don't know how you all stand it.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Or you can make multiple pirates and play with the different types when you get bored one type of fighting style :D

Personally I like teams that are effective rather than varied. (they do have that random companion shuffle option for the very reason you mentioned.) But this is more of a discussion about the viability of witch companions in general...regardless of any ones personal preferences.

Ensign
Oct 21, 2013

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Either way, witch companions still need improvements.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I know, right? The beauty of this game is that no two battles are completely the same. Every player can choose different talents for their crew, use different companions, etc., and make the experience as thrilling or nail-biting as they like.

If every companion was the same as the next, we could stop recruiting them after we had five or six. Where's the fun in that?

Learning to succeed with all Witchdoctor companions, or all swashbucklers or all female (of which, there are not that many) or even ALL MONQUISTANS is pretty fun. It's kind of like on the job in real life, you take people as they are and learn to work with them and all of their strengths and weaknesses. We don't go to the boss and say "You know, Larry over there just isn't any good at answering the phone. I know his job is mopping the floor, but don't you think he needs training so he can be just as good as Susie the receptionist?"

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Willowydream on Oct 20, 2015 wrote:
I know, right? The beauty of this game is that no two battles are completely the same. Every player can choose different talents for their crew, use different companions, etc., and make the experience as thrilling or nail-biting as they like.

If every companion was the same as the next, we could stop recruiting them after we had five or six. Where's the fun in that?

Learning to succeed with all Witchdoctor companions, or all swashbucklers or all female (of which, there are not that many) or even ALL MONQUISTANS is pretty fun. It's kind of like on the job in real life, you take people as they are and learn to work with them and all of their strengths and weaknesses. We don't go to the boss and say "You know, Larry over there just isn't any good at answering the phone. I know his job is mopping the floor, but don't you think he needs training so he can be just as good as Susie the receptionist?"
Haha your analogy is funny. And it kinda works...but your pulling things a little out of context.

I am NOT saying that witches should be made "just like" all the other companions or "just as powerful." I am merely stating that the triple deficit is too much for the benefits they have. REGARDLESS of weather you personally have fun giving yourself a handicap and then trying to overcome it. That is an admiral way of playing...I give you props. But keep in mind this is still a game for kids. And for those that choose to play as a witch, that level of playing is a bit harder. Odds are they will follow the pattern I suggested above. Namely abandoning all their over weak witch companions in favor of stronger ones. And THAT is something I find to be kinda sad and why I made this thread.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 20, 2015 wrote:
Haha your analogy is funny. And it kinda works...but your pulling things a little out of context.

I am NOT saying that witches should be made "just like" all the other companions or "just as powerful." I am merely stating that the triple deficit is too much for the benefits they have. REGARDLESS of weather you personally have fun giving yourself a handicap and then trying to overcome it. That is an admiral way of playing...I give you props. But keep in mind this is still a game for kids. And for those that choose to play as a witch, that level of playing is a bit harder. Odds are they will follow the pattern I suggested above. Namely abandoning all their over weak witch companions in favor of stronger ones. And THAT is something I find to be kinda sad and why I made this thread.
I don't know... that's your opinion, and that is fine. However, I also think there are a lot of clever kids out there who will find new ways and combos that work for them, even if it isn't efficient or made up of weaker companions that they happen to like. Not everyone reads message boards for advice on the "right way" to do it. Let's let the kids do what they find to be fun, instead of assuming we know what they can or cannot do.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Willowydream on Oct 21, 2015 wrote:
I don't know... that's your opinion, and that is fine. However, I also think there are a lot of clever kids out there who will find new ways and combos that work for them, even if it isn't efficient or made up of weaker companions that they happen to like. Not everyone reads message boards for advice on the "right way" to do it. Let's let the kids do what they find to be fun, instead of assuming we know what they can or cannot do.

Thats true there are a lot of smart players out there. And lots of ways to have fun. I just hoping the next update gives witch companions a little more is all. But then again I know KI has a lot on their list of things to do and change. So I guess we will see. This was just me expressing my thought at why they have so little and seeing who agrees.

After all even though they are busy if KI gets know feed back they won't know what we think.

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 18, 2015 wrote:

Honestly, I do agree that "Witchdoctor Companions" do not seem as well rounded as other companions in terms of stats and yes i do think that witchdoctors and their companions could be deserving of a slight buff in terms when it comes to PvP. In all, I believe KI should look into this matter and find all ways to get around it without nerfing or buffing one particular clsss in general.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Unfair Angel on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
Honestly, I do agree that "Witchdoctor Companions" do not seem as well rounded as other companions in terms of stats and yes i do think that witchdoctors and their companions could be deserving of a slight buff in terms when it comes to PvP. In all, I believe KI should look into this matter and find all ways to get around it without nerfing or buffing one particular clsss in general.
Thank you for the imput. I agree whole heartedly. Like I explained I dont think KI did it on purpose. Witch humans are not well rounded cause of all the many spells they have and that filtered down to the companions.

I think they could buff up witch companions without over powering them. Honestly it would only put them on par with everyone else.