Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Laws of Armada

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
So, I got to thinking, and I noticed something odd. The Armada decided to kidnap us instead of kill us, and I thought, why wouldn't they? There's plenty of incentive. Our parents were kind of a big deal in the pirate world(err worlds?), so naturally, we'll likely take after them. We could become a fierce pirate if we got away. Yet, they didn't kill us.

Maybe they were transporting us for a public execution? Why? It's not like the Armada needs moral boosting; they're robots. Plus, they could've sent an image of our dead corpse throughout the Spiral to send a message. They have the resources.

So I thought to myself, they must be bound by the Laws of Robotics. That would make sense, except for the method of which you get Gaspard de Vole. That requires that your parents had to have died by the Armada. We know they're dead because we hear our parents' voices tell us to find their grave(which we still need to do btw) from the crystals in the dungeon with Gortez. Could they have been enchanted crystals by our parents? According to one of the crazed monquistans, Gortez is the only other "person" to have heard voices from the cave. Our parents had no connection to Gortez that we know of so far, so it very likely wasn't them. Those crystals likely have a connection to any number of dead spirits, explaining why Gortez would've heard something different than we did.

So, our parents could've been killed by the Armada, which violates the Laws of Robotics. Those laws, if you're not familiar with them, are as follows:
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws
Last I checked, killed is pretty harmful. So now we know that the Armada aren't bound by the Laws of Robotics. This would also account for how Kane, a clockwork, is able to rule them at his will.

So, to go back to my opening statement, if their objective is to remove all pirates from the Spiral, why wouldn't they have removed us from the picture? If you have a potential idea, please give your thoughts.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Oct 8, 2015 wrote:
So, I got to thinking, and I noticed something odd. The Armada decided to kidnap us instead of kill us, and I thought, why wouldn't they? There's plenty of incentive. Our parents were kind of a big deal in the pirate world(err worlds?), so naturally, we'll likely take after them. We could become a fierce pirate if we got away. Yet, they didn't kill us.

Maybe they were transporting us for a public execution? Why? It's not like the Armada needs moral boosting; they're robots. Plus, they could've sent an image of our dead corpse throughout the Spiral to send a message. They have the resources.

So I thought to myself, they must be bound by the Laws of Robotics. That would make sense, except for the method of which you get Gaspard de Vole. That requires that your parents had to have died by the Armada. We know they're dead because we hear our parents' voices tell us to find their grave(which we still need to do btw) from the crystals in the dungeon with Gortez. Could they have been enchanted crystals by our parents? According to one of the crazed monquistans, Gortez is the only other "person" to have heard voices from the cave. Our parents had no connection to Gortez that we know of so far, so it very likely wasn't them. Those crystals likely have a connection to any number of dead spirits, explaining why Gortez would've heard something different than we did.

So, our parents could've been killed by the Armada, which violates the Laws of Robotics. Those laws, if you're not familiar with them, are as follows:
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws
Last I checked, killed is pretty harmful. So now we know that the Armada aren't bound by the Laws of Robotics. This would also account for how Kane, a clockwork, is able to rule them at his will.

So, to go back to my opening statement, if their objective is to remove all pirates from the Spiral, why wouldn't they have removed us from the picture? If you have a potential idea, please give your thoughts.

Kane : That insufferable spawn of pirates must have it's mother's map piece - bring it here, that I may question it.
Deacon: Yes, Supreme Commander, but what of the rumor that this pirate is destined to bring down our rule?
Kane: That is immaterial, Once El Dorado is in our grasp, there is nothing to stop us.
( Deacon bows and leaves Kane's presence. )

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
Hi not meaning to sound rude or mean or anything but I don't think that's why they didn't kill us if you look at the puppet show that tells how you got arrested you can see that our pirates were just breaking small rules or defending someone or thing not really anything big plus our pirates are kids so the armada most likely just saw us as annoying not any real threat plus we don't know if they know that our parents were those pirates so there wasn't any real need to and the armada were old war soldiers so maybe they had a old programming that made them not kill anyone unless they saw them As a threat or maybe since our mom was at el dorado they might have thought we would know where the map pieces are there are a number of reason you just have to look

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Oct 8, 2015 wrote:

I believe that as the machines get more and more complicated, they begin to rationalize breaking what we consider to be breaking the first law. To stop robots like that from overloading at the smallest chance of harming a human (Like Herbie, if you have ever heard of him), they can rationalize small harm to stop big harm. Similarly, if they might rationalize hurting a small portion of humans to save the larger portion, or hurt a large portion of humans to protect a small portion, if the small portion would be more likely to bring about prosperity to an even larger group (which is the reason the Great War was possible). The reason that the armada doesn't kill you, is that you really are minimum risk (at the beginning of the game), while representing a lot. You are the continuation of your parents legacy as pirates. And while the armada itself doesn't need to up moral, they have a lockdown on Valencia. A way to keep the people living there down is to show how they have defeated a famous group of rebels, and how easily they are taken down.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 9, 2015 wrote:
Kane : That insufferable spawn of pirates must have it's mother's map piece - bring it here, that I may question it.
Deacon: Yes, Supreme Commander, but what of the rumor that this pirate is destined to bring down our rule?
Kane: That is immaterial, Once El Dorado is in our grasp, there is nothing to stop us.
( Deacon bows and leaves Kane's presence. )
To be honest, I could see that conversation happening.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
You bring up some good points, Fearless Dolan, only... I'm not entirely sure that the Armada - particularly Kane and his elites - are truly robots. Well, I have said as much before, so I'm not going to bore everyone by repeating myself in depth, but I suspect they occupy a place somewhere between living creatures and true machines.

Now, as far as kidnap vs. kill... until the wreck of the Victory, the Armada seems to keep changing its mind (minds?) about how to handle us. First we are arrested, for reasons that range from trivial (defending someone being picked on by the Armada) to serious (being on a ship aiding the Resistance). At first Deacon vigorously acts to prevent our escape, and seeing we have significant aid, prudently withdraws. We just aren't important enough, and certainly not powerful on our own, so he can satisfy himself with the nasty warning "enjoy your freedom... while it lasts." When we encounter Phule, his efforts to capture us are only half-hearted at best.

But when we encounter Deacon in Cool Ranch (time #1) he is evidently furious that we have come on the scene and interfering with his carefully laid plans. We are to be 'destroyed'. We aren't (ha, ha), and the next time Deacon lays a trap to capture rather than kill -- a trap which is he very well pleased with (yikes!).

I don't know about you, but by this time, my pirate spends a lot of time looking over her shoulder wondering when Deacon is going to pop up next. When he finally does, he is thoroughly annoyed: it is death, now, not capture (and we have a true show-down!)

After that... well, both Rooke and Bishop seem to be interested in taking us 'out' rather than whacking us over the head and capturing us. Certainly, when Nelson is offered the opportunity to "Surrender or die!" Rooke does not extend that offer to us!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I agree with Anne that the clockworks are more than just robots. But that doesn't mean they don't have wouldn't have laws and rules to follow. In terms of game lore and types of evil, I would consider the Armada to be lawfully evil. Meaning, that while they are bad guys, they still have order, rules and laws that they follow and impose on others. The Armada doesn't just do what it wants, it follows the orders of the Elites, who formulate the orders based on Kane's plans.

So, that brings me to my point. Every modern military has it's own set of rule and laws, generally called Rules of Engagement, ROE's. These rules are different for each military, and different for each operation/theatre. I very much expect that the Armada has a similar system with probably similar rules.

The main point of ROE's is to keep the military in order, limit the "Barbarity" of war, and to give an occupied people as little reason to rebel or resist as possible. An occupied people are less likely to rebel, if they see the occupying force as a police or security force, rather than an occupying force.

I'd say that the Armada always arrests lesser criminals rather than making any sort of public display. At the start of the game, we're just that, a lesser criminal probably destined for an Armada prison. But, as we become more notable within the Spiral, and start to prove ourselves a bit of a problem towards the Armada, our pirates would no longer be considered mere criminals. As well, our pirates would also not be considered lawful combatants such as the Marleybonean soldiers and sailors would be. Simply because, our pirates are not part of any organized, recognized military force. Our pirates are simply,...pirates belonging to an organized crime syndicate based in Skull Island (at least to the Armada). They wouldn't be treated as prisoners of war, or as criminals that can be arrested. Our pirates become enemies of the Armada, but but aren't under the protection of any laws.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Hey guys!
I've meant to reply early, but I kept losing my train of thought or just not liking what I wrote.

Anyways, I've been kicking myself for missing the obvious. Our crime just simply isn't enough to justify death. However, I don't quite understand why Deacon was on board the ship we were imprisoned on. Our crimes were somewhat petty really. Brawling? Smuggling? Treason(well actually that's a big deal)? Dueling? Hoodoo? I think we could've been handled by an Armada Captain considering we're level 1. So what purpose does Deacon have aboard the ship? My best guess is that the Armada was worried that other pirates would try to rescue us, so they wanted somebody stronger on board to try and repel them. Boochbeard and Mr. Gandry knew we were there. Mr. Gandry even says "I'm told you. He/She is the one", implying that they knew us and that we'd be there. They even know that we're orphaned.

Somehow I get the feeling I'm missing the obvious again...