Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Easy Fixes to ranked pvp

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Ok lets get started,
I agree Moo Robe needs a nerf, it's glitched very badly with regenerating powers atm because KI's coding staff had a bit of an 'error' haha I'm so funny. Anyway back to the point I believe it should be banned next season as it's not working as intended. NOW here comes the reason why I believe it actually creates balance between the classes. Currently Buccaneers own this meta, that's because they can rush and we really can't do anything to stop a first turn rush. Now the Moo Robe is the only counter to it because of HtL 3 which for a class like Witchdoctor is there only hope. Now how can we balance that problem when clearly Witches need a buff?

Step 1 - Unban Frozen Tide, yes it's not working as intended but the only glitch is a minor one keeping only ranged units from not being able to hit ONLY when there is a unit directly in front of them. That's nothing it's a minor thing easily avoidable so I wouldn't worry about it.
Why: Frozen Tide should buy classes like Witch and Privy who don't have any defense options to slow down Buck's full power rush another 2 turns because Highland makes the rush all done in 1 turn while a none highland rush takes 2-3 so this can give Witch/Privy time to prepare for it.

Step 2 - Buff Mournsong/Widows Touch Buffing either of these as I will state should help give with that little Buff they need to survive this meta.

Mournsong - give the 2 turn DoT an increase in damage OR a 2 turn curse as well this way Witch can do what they're meant to do apply pressure from a distance and considering there are heavy objects blocking witches entire arsenal of these they should rightfully get a buff

Widows Touch - Turn into an AoE and reduce to 3 turns. This would be an AMAZING boost as the power is almost useless as it is now and rarely used but this could definitely increase Witchdoctors play-ability because if it was a 3x3 area of a team anywhere on the board obviously using it R1 wouldn't be the idea unless you wanted to rush your enemy so now we give Witchdoctors the 1 thing every other class has besides them this meta, some flexibility. The problem with Witch as they are is they have absolutely NO flexibility and rely on multiple things to have a chance at winning. This allows them to choose between using this to rush or to play defensively. This would be something everyone could be happy about and it's only reduce for 3 turns which isn't much I mean you can still cross the board and use up Black Fog in time.

Step 3 - Buff Privy's Group Heals

Group Heals - team HoT as well to increase the effectiveness (Makes no sense why not mostly for rank 2+3 of the group heal) this should help survive-ability

From my experience ranking both these classes up to Champion I found these to be the best way to balance the meta game and remove the robe at least until you find a fix/suitable nerf or buff to something so it lowers complaints.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
TechnomagePvP on Sep 15, 2015 wrote:
Ok lets get started,
I agree Moo Robe needs a nerf, it's glitched very badly with regenerating powers atm because KI's coding staff had a bit of an 'error' haha I'm so funny. Anyway back to the point I believe it should be banned next season as it's not working as intended. NOW here comes the reason why I believe it actually creates balance between the classes. Currently Buccaneers own this meta, that's because they can rush and we really can't do anything to stop a first turn rush. Now the Moo Robe is the only counter to it because of HtL 3 which for a class like Witchdoctor is there only hope. Now how can we balance that problem when clearly Witches need a buff?

Step 1 - Unban Frozen Tide, yes it's not working as intended but the only glitch is a minor one keeping only ranged units from not being able to hit ONLY when there is a unit directly in front of them. That's nothing it's a minor thing easily avoidable so I wouldn't worry about it.
Why: Frozen Tide should buy classes like Witch and Privy who don't have any defense options to slow down Buck's full power rush another 2 turns because Highland makes the rush all done in 1 turn while a none highland rush takes 2-3 so this can give Witch/Privy time to prepare for it.

Step 2 - Buff Mournsong/Widows Touch Buffing either of these as I will state should help give with that little Buff they need to survive this meta.

Mournsong - give the 2 turn DoT an increase in damage OR a 2 turn curse as well this way Witch can do what they're meant to do apply pressure from a distance and considering there are heavy objects blocking witches entire arsenal of these they should rightfully get a buff

Widows Touch - Turn into an AoE and reduce to 3 turns. This would be an AMAZING boost as the power is almost useless as it is now and rarely used but this could definitely increase Witchdoctors play-ability because if it was a 3x3 area of a team anywhere on the board obviously using it R1 wouldn't be the idea unless you wanted to rush your enemy so now we give Witchdoctors the 1 thing every other class has besides them this meta, some flexibility. The problem with Witch as they are is they have absolutely NO flexibility and rely on multiple things to have a chance at winning. This allows them to choose between using this to rush or to play defensively. This would be something everyone could be happy about and it's only reduce for 3 turns which isn't much I mean you can still cross the board and use up Black Fog in time.

Step 3 - Buff Privy's Group Heals

Group Heals - team HoT as well to increase the effectiveness (Makes no sense why not mostly for rank 2+3 of the group heal) this should help survive-ability

From my experience ranking both these classes up to Champion I found these to be the best way to balance the meta game and remove the robe at least until you find a fix/suitable nerf or buff to something so it lowers complaints.
Most of these changes are pretty good but the developers have to take more than PvP into account. In PvE Privateers would have little to no struggle with an overtime group heal. And it takes away from the individuality of the single heals because those are unique for their heal over times. Though, i would like most of these changes, they probably won't be implemented.
And widow's touch as an AoE is definitely too much. It isn't useless or rarely used, from what i've seen. Usually it's casted first turn to stop them from getting any ideas of rushing. If it turned into an AoE, it would just become another "black fog"-esque power where everyone rushes to use it first turn. And if you pull it off, you gain a significant advantage over your melee units, and are able to snipe them down from a range.
What i think should be implemented:
Improve chain lightning. In PvE and PvP, this spell is useless. I would like it to have a "paralyse" effect, which can immobilise a unit for a round, at a certain chance. Also, Mojo storm needs a bit of a buff. Damage wise it isn't very impactful. Maybe giving it a 5/10/25% chance (blast/burst/storm) to paralyse the enemy for one round.
And lastly, (as you probably know), ratbeard had said that they are working on a buff for the witchdoctor and privateer class in one of the upcoming updates. So maybe he's already taken ideas like these into consideration.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
DeathWiz101378 on Sep 15, 2015 wrote:
Most of these changes are pretty good but the developers have to take more than PvP into account. In PvE Privateers would have little to no struggle with an overtime group heal. And it takes away from the individuality of the single heals because those are unique for their heal over times. Though, i would like most of these changes, they probably won't be implemented.
And widow's touch as an AoE is definitely too much. It isn't useless or rarely used, from what i've seen. Usually it's casted first turn to stop them from getting any ideas of rushing. If it turned into an AoE, it would just become another "black fog"-esque power where everyone rushes to use it first turn. And if you pull it off, you gain a significant advantage over your melee units, and are able to snipe them down from a range.
Improve chain lightning. In PvE and PvP, this spell is useless. I would like it to have a "paralyse" effect, which can immobilise a unit for a round, at a certain chance. Also, Mojo storm needs a bit of a buff. Damage wise it isn't very impactful. Maybe giving it a 5/10/25% chance (blast/burst/storm) to paralyse the enemy for one round.
And lastly, (as you probably know), ratbeard had said that they are working on a buff for the witchdoctor and privateer class in one of the upcoming updates. So maybe he's already taken ideas like these into consideration.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Mojo storm on a Witch with high critical chance can do an easy AoE of 600 damage, that's 1/8 of a companions health down already. Mojo storm does not need improvement, also 3 rounds of 2-3 haste per a comp isn't really op or like black fog it just gives witches a way to rush safely without getting destroyed or against Black Fog to give them time to set up. Also it's witchdoctor exclusive so only witches would get it, think about it without Charm witchdoctors have nothing special to compete with, for example Privy have Zeal which is amazing 3 turns of no missing and practically never being able to be hit by melee units, Buck's have Frenzy and Highland as I can rush anywhere and take out your entire team/pirate in a round if I set up correctly, musket have knockback bombs for complete stop and wait a minutes, and then Swash obviously have Fog. What do witchdoctors have? Mojo Storm? Ya right.... Each class besides Witch have something exclusive that keep them in this meta competitively besides Witch so the idea was giving Widow's touch that boost it needs to become viable in pvp. Unlike Privy's Zeal, Buck's Highland, and Swash's Black Fog there is a direct simple counter to stop this. Spread out R1 when you can, obviously if you go first and can't move the Witch can easily go Widows touch on your entire team then rush up but that wont work vs bucklers so now they can use it defensively to slow them down so they can set up barricades, then vs buck's they can decide to use it offensively or to counter rush them when they highland, etc. This should help boost witch and give them something that makes them worth the pick of being your special little character to use for this season.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
My suggestion is to play the game as it was originally designed without any changes / and if you can not find a way around it your not really trying

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
DeathWiz101378 on Sep 15, 2015 wrote:

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
make the change pvp only

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Krigleblort on Sep 15, 2015 wrote:
My suggestion is to play the game as it was originally designed without any changes / and if you can not find a way around it your not really trying
Considering I did play the game how it was designed throughout the first season and got every class to Champion and some above.... I beg to differ. Changes should always be added to enhance the game. If it stayed the same forever we might as well call this game chest because that's all it would be. The thing is sometimes there is a bit of an unfair balance now I don't personally agree at all with the updates to Old Scratch because that can become insane but seriously you think that never making changes would be better? Ok lets just go back to Privy days where you could stack Zeal+Espirit and I want you to show us how to beat a good Privy as a Buck. :)

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
TechnomagePvP on Sep 16, 2015 wrote:
Considering I did play the game how it was designed throughout the first season and got every class to Champion and some above.... I beg to differ. Changes should always be added to enhance the game. If it stayed the same forever we might as well call this game chest because that's all it would be. The thing is sometimes there is a bit of an unfair balance now I don't personally agree at all with the updates to Old Scratch because that can become insane but seriously you think that never making changes would be better? Ok lets just go back to Privy days where you could stack Zeal+Espirit and I want you to show us how to beat a good Privy as a Buck. :)
i second the motion to go back to the golden age of privateers