Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer companions can use Strength?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
This is a bug that I have noticed with Gracie and Handsome Dan, however most likely it affects all Privateer companions. Normally, their Critical chance is based on will, however when given a strength buff(as little as Sharks Fury usually) their critical chance will change to be based on strength, therefore they can use strength as well as will. This could be useful in Pvp, but I wanted to report it anyways in case this was not intentional. I have not tested whether you can give enough agility to make them agility based yet, but it most likely could happen.

Ensign
Jan 15, 2011
As far as I know , the Privateer class is meant to be a mix of Strength and Will (Sounds like fitting personality attributes of a Privy). So I guess it's not too surprising that they run on Strength while others like Wing Chun and Kzinti Singh run on Will.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Never seen this occuring, wouldnt be surprised it's a bug...

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Pie Rate on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
As far as I know , the Privateer class is meant to be a mix of Strength and Will (Sounds like fitting personality attributes of a Privy). So I guess it's not too surprising that they run on Strength while others like Wing Chun and Kzinti Singh run on Will.
Any Privateer when given a Strong enough Strength Buff(mainly Shark's Fury is enough), and they will use Strength instead of Will. What's weirder is that you cannot make them agility based, which means this is lasting from when Privateer companions used to run on strength, and then they switched them to be based on will. Now it is a bit safer to say that this is a bug

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Stormy Sam Templet... on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
This is a bug that I have noticed with Gracie and Handsome Dan, however most likely it affects all Privateer companions. Normally, their Critical chance is based on will, however when given a strength buff(as little as Sharks Fury usually) their critical chance will change to be based on strength, therefore they can use strength as well as will. This could be useful in Pvp, but I wanted to report it anyways in case this was not intentional. I have not tested whether you can give enough agility to make them agility based yet, but it most likely could happen.
Ratbeard has already addressed this...

"It's not a bug, and the notes should have been more clear.

Privateer companions (who don't use equipment) will use their highest stat-- usually Will-- to attack.

Privateer players will use whatever stat your weapon requires. If you equip a pistol, you'll use your AGI. If you equip a wand or staff, you'll use your WILL. And if you equip a sword, you'll use your STR.

If you equip a combo weapon (for example, wand and pistol), you'll use either WILL or AGI (whichever is higher)."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/privateer-still-attacking-with-strength-8ad6a4184641eb740146434209051c30/8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Oran from Urz on Sep 3, 2015 wrote:
Ratbeard has already addressed this...

"It's not a bug, and the notes should have been more clear.

Privateer companions (who don't use equipment) will use their highest stat-- usually Will-- to attack.

Privateer players will use whatever stat your weapon requires. If you equip a pistol, you'll use your AGI. If you equip a wand or staff, you'll use your WILL. And if you equip a sword, you'll use your STR.

If you equip a combo weapon (for example, wand and pistol), you'll use either WILL or AGI (whichever is higher)."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/privateer-still-attacking-with-strength-8ad6a4184641eb740146434209051c30/8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4
I was not on a forums for that ... thanks! I can now abuse this