Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

This is Rather Odd to Post Here But...

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Did any of y'all do swim in high school? I'm doing it and from what I've seen from my coach, he bothers me a good amount. Today I swam about 3160 meters, or almost 2 miles. He doesn't give a bottle of Yum about how we do are strokes, but for how long we can. He seems to care about quantity, not quality. That bothers me alone, but to make things worse, he keeps yelling at us on what we should be doing to improve our sprints after we've been swimming for over an hour and a half. Also, sometime late into the two hour practice, I saw my coach sitting in the shade today. It's not like my coach is getting in the water with us. All he's done thus far is walk around in the heat and tell us what to do. I understand being in the shade, summer is very hot, but sitting?!! To add, our coach said he'd give up soda for the season. Good for him! However he still drinks Gatorade, which what a glance at the nutrition label tells me, is not much better.

I'm considering resigning. I don't think I can put up with him much longer. I want to get the community opinion on this though.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Having a bad coach can be discouraging, Perhaps talk to your principal and see if anything can be done, or if your strength is in swimming, perhaps another way to compete, like at a YMCA or any other swim club. Perhaps you can endure the school stuff but get a private coach to refine your skills? Things may not be going the way you like but if you are a gifted swimmer, this is only temporary turbulence that can be ridden out. Hang in there, we are rooting for you in spirit.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Aug 22, 2015 wrote:
Did any of y'all do swim in high school? I'm doing it and from what I've seen from my coach, he bothers me a good amount. Today I swam about 3160 meters, or almost 2 miles. He doesn't give a bottle of Yum about how we do are strokes, but for how long we can. He seems to care about quantity, not quality. That bothers me alone, but to make things worse, he keeps yelling at us on what we should be doing to improve our sprints after we've been swimming for over an hour and a half. Also, sometime late into the two hour practice, I saw my coach sitting in the shade today. It's not like my coach is getting in the water with us. All he's done thus far is walk around in the heat and tell us what to do. I understand being in the shade, summer is very hot, but sitting?!! To add, our coach said he'd give up soda for the season. Good for him! However he still drinks Gatorade, which what a glance at the nutrition label tells me, is not much better.

I'm considering resigning. I don't think I can put up with him much longer. I want to get the community opinion on this though.

Ask yourself - "is this something I enjoy? Am I good at it? " or are you merely trying to fill a credit in your curricula.
If this is something you wish to pursue, what Crissy has advised will work; I will add one source that you can explore - the Internet, try searching tips and hints for competitive swimming.
If the coach isn't doing his job and you feel the need, get with the other swim team members and get the support of the parents, present your complaints to the principal.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011

Resigning is up to you. However, if I were in your situation, I would do so and bike, walk, run, or jog to the nearest beach where I'd be able to get better myself. That would certainly be a better way than putting up with someone like your coach

EDIT: Or, you can run a campaign against your coach alongside some friends, their parents and your parents. Like Chrissy and Anecorbie said.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Good job on the swimming. My longest swim was 7k back in January. I truly understand how you get tired.
I hope things with your coach go well. I don't have much advice in that way. I never did any sports in High school.
I only took up triathlon when I turned 31, but now I love to swim, bike and run.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013

This has really never happened to me considering I don't go to public school but that's a good question there mate. I'm not on anybody's side but its possible that coach's usually want to train their team HARD for a game sure this sounds overkill but I've figured that out. Sure its fun being on a team but do you really like it? When new things happen to me I have a chance to try it out and I may like it and want to stick with it or it could not work out for me and not do it anymore. OR you could find another way to have fun with your hobby. You could join a town pool and swim their. Or you could take a new swim class but not with your coach but something else like what chrissy said maybe at the YMCA or something.

I hope this helps!

Fearless talon Lewis

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
How long into the training season is it?
I'd say that your decision to quit should be based on whether or not you like the sport, not on how well the coach,...coaches. But, putting the coach's nutritional choices aside, perhaps he is training you and your team in a way you're not expecting. To me, it sounds like's he's training you for stamina and endurance, instead of speed for the moment.

Almost a year ago now, I went through basic training with the Canadian Armed Forces, with our PT a fair few of the guys were hoping for a lot of muscle building work outs. Instead we had a lot of running, some weight training, agility training, and a fair bit of swimming as well. All of our training, while quite hard, was meant to help us build up stamina and endurance required to work long hours, travel long distances on foot, as well as move very quickly across short paces of ground.

Perhaps you're in a similar case, expecting one style of training, but are receiving a different yet still very useful style of training. I'd say, if this is still early in the training season, stick it out a while longer, and see what the training program is like. If it doesn't change, then maybe take it up with the head coach or the head of the phys ed department.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
Having a bad coach can be discouraging, Perhaps talk to your principal and see if anything can be done, or if your strength is in swimming, perhaps another way to compete, like at a YMCA or any other swim club. Perhaps you can endure the school stuff but get a private coach to refine your skills? Things may not be going the way you like but if you are a gifted swimmer, this is only temporary turbulence that can be ridden out. Hang in there, we are rooting for you in spirit.
Alright, I'll consider that. Thanks for the advice.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
Ask yourself - "is this something I enjoy? Am I good at it? " or are you merely trying to fill a credit in your curricula.
If this is something you wish to pursue, what Crissy has advised will work; I will add one source that you can explore - the Internet, try searching tips and hints for competitive swimming.
If the coach isn't doing his job and you feel the need, get with the other swim team members and get the support of the parents, present your complaints to the principal.
This is something I really enjoy. I joined the team to become better and faster.

I'll take your advice about looking things online, however when I do something wrong, it's nice to have a person correct me.

If things get REALLY bad, I'll call upon the others.

Thanks for the advice.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Aaron FireEyes on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
Resigning is up to you. However, if I were in your situation, I would do so and bike, walk, run, or jog to the nearest beach where I'd be able to get better myself. That would certainly be a better way than putting up with someone like your coach

EDIT: Or, you can run a campaign against your coach alongside some friends, their parents and your parents. Like Chrissy and Anecorbie said.
I'd like to practice wherever I can. I've thought about quitting and using the lap pool somewhere else. I like the beach idea, but I live too far(like about 350 miles way).

Thanks for your feedback!

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Decius Duelmaster on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
Good job on the swimming. My longest swim was 7k back in January. I truly understand how you get tired.
I hope things with your coach go well. I don't have much advice in that way. I never did any sports in High school.
I only took up triathlon when I turned 31, but now I love to swim, bike and run.
Wow. Didn't expect to see you here. Congrats on 7k!! Geez that's a lot of swimming!! Now I feel lazy in comparison.

Thanks for posting!

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
warrior021u on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
This has really never happened to me considering I don't go to public school but that's a good question there mate. I'm not on anybody's side but its possible that coach's usually want to train their team HARD for a game sure this sounds overkill but I've figured that out. Sure its fun being on a team but do you really like it? When new things happen to me I have a chance to try it out and I may like it and want to stick with it or it could not work out for me and not do it anymore. OR you could find another way to have fun with your hobby. You could join a town pool and swim their. Or you could take a new swim class but not with your coach but something else like what chrissy said maybe at the YMCA or something.

I hope this helps!

Fearless talon Lewis
Well yeah. They would most CERTAINLY want their team in top shape for a game/meet/competition/PvP Match(). However I feel that you would want to know how to get maximum potential out of something before you do it over and over again. It feels counterproductive. That's just my opinion though.

I'll consider joining a different program if things get out of hand.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
CdeWinter on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
How long into the training season is it?
I'd say that your decision to quit should be based on whether or not you like the sport, not on how well the coach,...coaches. But, putting the coach's nutritional choices aside, perhaps he is training you and your team in a way you're not expecting. To me, it sounds like's he's training you for stamina and endurance, instead of speed for the moment.

Almost a year ago now, I went through basic training with the Canadian Armed Forces, with our PT a fair few of the guys were hoping for a lot of muscle building work outs. Instead we had a lot of running, some weight training, agility training, and a fair bit of swimming as well. All of our training, while quite hard, was meant to help us build up stamina and endurance required to work long hours, travel long distances on foot, as well as move very quickly across short paces of ground.

Perhaps you're in a similar case, expecting one style of training, but are receiving a different yet still very useful style of training. I'd say, if this is still early in the training season, stick it out a while longer, and see what the training program is like. If it doesn't change, then maybe take it up with the head coach or the head of the phys ed department.
I agree it's meant to build endurance. I do think I built up an idea in my mind and when he went a different direction than I anticipated, I didn't take it well. However, I feel that if I'm going to repeat something numerous times, I'd like to do it the most efficient way possible for muscle memory, and for more time to increase my sprints.

I'm on my 3rd week of the program that goes to November(I don't remember exactly when it ends). The reason I posted so soon though, is because I wanted to get an idea before I ordered my suit and shirt. The school is paying for suits and T-Shirts, and if I leave mid-season, he'll ask for me to pay for the suit and shirt. Also, if I see the shirt and suit after I quit, I'll have to live with the fact that I started something and didn't finish, which would especially bother me regardless of how tiring it was.

I'll see if anything changes.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks again for all your comments guys! My coach said we'd be doing more drills and some stroke improvement soon! Hopefully he's serious!! Unfortunately I'm having my wisdom teeth removed on the day before our first meet. Really poor planning on my part. However, as long as I'm there for the drills, I'll be happy.