Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Scent is not really usable

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Hello everyone,

Everyone who was in Test Realm testing new Ranked PvP feature knows that there was a lot of talk about Black Fog and is it really counterable.

I have been trying to use scent as one of the counters, but I didn't have very much luck. Why?

1. When everyone in opposite team is hidden, all my summons, pet included, are heading to the corners of the battleboard in my direction. So even if the hidden units are coming towards me, my pet will be useless because he is somewhere in the corner minding his own business lol. At situation like that there is no way that he will scent anything.

2. Even when hidden unit passes through my pet by some slim chance, pet doesn't do anything. Unit remains hidden and that is it. Not sure what needs to be done in order for that power to be activated.

If anyone has any different experience with scent please post here so we can all learn more about it.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Developer
Duncan StormThief on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Everyone who was in Test Realm testing new Ranked PvP feature knows that there was a lot of talk about Black Fog and is it really counterable.

I have been trying to use scent as one of the counters, but I didn't have very much luck. Why?

1. When everyone in opposite team is hidden, all my summons, pet included, are heading to the corners of the battleboard in my direction. So even if the hidden units are coming towards me, my pet will be useless because he is somewhere in the corner minding his own business lol. At situation like that there is no way that he will scent anything.

2. Even when hidden unit passes through my pet by some slim chance, pet doesn't do anything. Unit remains hidden and that is it. Not sure what needs to be done in order for that power to be activated.

If anyone has any different experience with scent please post here so we can all learn more about it.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman
The AI does love that top corner, doesn't it?

It's on the "fix list."

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
The AI does love that top corner, doesn't it?

It's on the "fix list."
If I might make a suggestion, maybe for pets AI when they see no targets available, maybe instead of wandering around, they stay close to their owner?

Because of their AI, if they see a target, they go for it. With scent, this can easily break WID or WIS. With Fog, they see no targets, and therefore just wander around, making it nearly useless.

Scent has always worked for me, remember that it has a certain radius to it, based on rank. Mine is scent 2, and so far it has worked every time. There are 3 ways scent can be activated: When the opponent approaches the scent's radius, when the pet approaches the opponent, or at the start of the pets turn within the scent's radius.

Scent has worked for me so far against turn one Fogs, however when scent becomes a problem, they simply kill the pet(which I assume is the natural counter to scent)

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Stormy Sam Templet... on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
If I might make a suggestion, maybe for pets AI when they see no targets available, maybe instead of wandering around, they stay close to their owner?

Because of their AI, if they see a target, they go for it. With scent, this can easily break WID or WIS. With Fog, they see no targets, and therefore just wander around, making it nearly useless.

Scent has always worked for me, remember that it has a certain radius to it, based on rank. Mine is scent 2, and so far it has worked every time. There are 3 ways scent can be activated: When the opponent approaches the scent's radius, when the pet approaches the opponent, or at the start of the pets turn within the scent's radius.

Scent has worked for me so far against turn one Fogs, however when scent becomes a problem, they simply kill the pet(which I assume is the natural counter to scent)
I was thinking the same. "Guard your captain" should be primary objective :)

Maybe other summons can also gather around you and serve as "human" shield when opposite side is hidden.

I have Scent rank 1 so far, but will try to locate a pet with higher Scent rank. Maybe that will be more helpful.

Developer
I agree that "Heel!" would be the obvious choice (and probably the most tactically sound).

I'll see what I can do, but the Tech guys tend to give me "that look" when I ask for custom exceptions for the A.I...

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 6, 2015 wrote:
I agree that "Heel!" would be the obvious choice (and probably the most tactically sound).

I'll see what I can do, but the Tech guys tend to give me "that look" when I ask for custom exceptions for the A.I...

How about a line of pet commands?

They could act in the same fashion that our pirate/companion powers/buffs do, in which they appear in the power roster on the bottom of the in-battle screen. At the beginning of a round we can choose from this 'set' selection of pet commands on the 'command/power roster', like our pirate/companion powers. We would then be able to click on the 'pet command' but would not be able to control their actual movement or which power/buff/talent they actually use-- we just would be able to control what command they carry out, but not specifically 'what they choose to use' to carry out that command (kind of). And once we use that command type, that command type disappears in the roster...so we only get one command type per battle. The pet would remain in that 'command state' until we either choose another command (if any are available) or we use the 'Release' command

There could be pet commands such as...(if conditions don't apply for any commands, they will be grayed out)

Heel (courtesy RB)- Pet remains close to pirate to help ensure certain talents activate or kick in.
Play Dead or maybe Play Bobble Head would be more PC-- Petlitically Correct. Used to mask the AI's awareness by 'playing dead' so that the AI doesn't consider it any kind of threat. Pet will remain in this state until given the command...
Release- Releases pet from any previous command, in which they will act randomly if no other command is given.
Sentry- A command in which pet only moves a couple tiles away from the pirate & crew-- maybe 2 in any direction, but by default, it makes the pet move in between crew & enemies. Would be helpful for pets that possess Hold the Line.
Sick 'Em- A command in which the pet will attack with an available power(s).
Speak- Command that gets your pet to use an available Buff.
Weave- Command your pet to advance, but avoid all obstacles.

This could add some fun control over pets, but we still wouldn't have total & complete control over them.

Ensign
Oct 22, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 7, 2015 wrote:
How about a line of pet commands?

They could act in the same fashion that our pirate/companion powers/buffs do, in which they appear in the power roster on the bottom of the in-battle screen. At the beginning of a round we can choose from this 'set' selection of pet commands on the 'command/power roster', like our pirate/companion powers. We would then be able to click on the 'pet command' but would not be able to control their actual movement or which power/buff/talent they actually use-- we just would be able to control what command they carry out, but not specifically 'what they choose to use' to carry out that command (kind of). And once we use that command type, that command type disappears in the roster...so we only get one command type per battle. The pet would remain in that 'command state' until we either choose another command (if any are available) or we use the 'Release' command

There could be pet commands such as...(if conditions don't apply for any commands, they will be grayed out)

Heel (courtesy RB)- Pet remains close to pirate to help ensure certain talents activate or kick in.
Play Dead or maybe Play Bobble Head would be more PC-- Petlitically Correct. Used to mask the AI's awareness by 'playing dead' so that the AI doesn't consider it any kind of threat. Pet will remain in this state until given the command...
Release- Releases pet from any previous command, in which they will act randomly if no other command is given.
Sentry- A command in which pet only moves a couple tiles away from the pirate & crew-- maybe 2 in any direction, but by default, it makes the pet move in between crew & enemies. Would be helpful for pets that possess Hold the Line.
Sick 'Em- A command in which the pet will attack with an available power(s).
Speak- Command that gets your pet to use an available Buff.
Weave- Command your pet to advance, but avoid all obstacles.

This could add some fun control over pets, but we still wouldn't have total & complete control over them.
YES, finally eagle eyes on a pet wouldn't be a waste.