Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers too overpowered

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Ratbeard on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
+37 dodge sounds like a bug to me-- probably a display bug, but possibly a setting bug.

Do you happen to know where I might see a screen shot of that?
Nvm, sorry about that

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Ratbeard on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
+37 dodge sounds like a bug to me-- probably a display bug, but possibly a setting bug.

Do you happen to know where I might see a screen shot of that?
And I just kind of want to shift the topic a little bit, what about the summer champion weapons? I feel like they weren't as good as they should have been, and that goes for all of them, I mean, they are the rewards for getting champion so do you ever plan on maybe improving them a bit? cause they are expensive and difficult to get, I have one myself and feel that its still not as effective as some other weapons

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
Train a team of crew with first strike three, I suggest ratbeard for one of them

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
reckless benjamin ... on Sep 5, 2015 wrote:
Train a team of crew with first strike three, I suggest ratbeard for one of them
Of course that does make sense but the thing is I I'm setting up entirely for one class, meaning that if I face any other class I would stand little chance

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Masonpeev on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
I agree buccaneers are high up on the list but they are not #1, the chains don't matter when your opponent dodges everyone of them and returns it back with a 300-600 damage riposte which leads into a vengeance leading into another riposte, vs other classes yes buccaneer is very good, and a buccaneer CAN defeat a swashbuckler but their poisons go through our armor so we're forced to use a fortress, and they can easily take out 2 members of our crew with black fog, not to mention them being able to do 1000-1300 damage while staying hidden using poisons and not allowing us to heal
Yeah aren't the number of swashbuckler champions the highest of any of the schools? Can someone from KI look into this please? Ratbeard maybe? Or Anne? Could someone give us a hand? We would all love substantial proof of how each school is doing. Please tell us the number of MAX LEVEL champions ((lets leave out lower levels since thats a whole other set of gear and strategies. So lets narrow it down to the level 65 champions)) I would like to know how many swashbuckler champions there are vs the other schools. Because I am fairly certain that swashbucklers are actually ranked number one.

Now I would like to say that I realize this might possibly be because the "number" of swashbucklers in the game are higher than the other schools as well. ((It does seem to be a rather popular school after all.)) And someone could make the argument there are more because there are more to start with. Well maybe but there are many variables ((like how old the players are and how many actually pvp competitively etc.)) Its also possible to excuse away that they are the highest by skewing the numbers by creating a ratio. By dividing the number for champions from the over all number. In which case you could make a school seem like the lowest. ((example: If there are 100 bucker champions and 50 buck champions...but there are 1000 bucklers and only 200 bucks. (100/1000)x100 = 10% buckler champion ratio while (50/200)x100 = 25% buck champion ratio. Yeah...please don't do this.))

To keep it fair for both sides please just give us the raw numbers and let us interpret it please. You should be able to do this without infringing upon anyones personal date.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Thomas Sunhammer on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Yeah aren't the number of swashbuckler champions the highest of any of the schools? Can someone from KI look into this please? Ratbeard maybe? Or Anne? Could someone give us a hand? We would all love substantial proof of how each school is doing. Please tell us the number of MAX LEVEL champions ((lets leave out lower levels since thats a whole other set of gear and strategies. So lets narrow it down to the level 65 champions)) I would like to know how many swashbuckler champions there are vs the other schools. Because I am fairly certain that swashbucklers are actually ranked number one.

Now I would like to say that I realize this might possibly be because the "number" of swashbucklers in the game are higher than the other schools as well. ((It does seem to be a rather popular school after all.)) And someone could make the argument there are more because there are more to start with. Well maybe but there are many variables ((like how old the players are and how many actually pvp competitively etc.)) Its also possible to excuse away that they are the highest by skewing the numbers by creating a ratio. By dividing the number for champions from the over all number. In which case you could make a school seem like the lowest. ((example: If there are 100 bucker champions and 50 buck champions...but there are 1000 bucklers and only 200 bucks. (100/1000)x100 = 10% buckler champion ratio while (50/200)x100 = 25% buck champion ratio. Yeah...please don't do this.))

To keep it fair for both sides please just give us the raw numbers and let us interpret it please. You should be able to do this without infringing upon anyones personal date.
Yea I'd like to see officially how many buckler champions there are vs other classes, there is an estimated 20+ swashbuckler champions, 4-6 buccaneers, 1-3 privateers 2-4 witchdoctors and 2-4 musketeers, of course those aren't exact numbers, thats just what i've seen while being in the arena for a long time and getting to know some of the other champions

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Masonpeev on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Yea I'd like to see officially how many buckler champions there are vs other classes, there is an estimated 20+ swashbuckler champions, 4-6 buccaneers, 1-3 privateers 2-4 witchdoctors and 2-4 musketeers, of course those aren't exact numbers, thats just what i've seen while being in the arena for a long time and getting to know some of the other champions
Those are the estimates I have seen as well. And yet despite the fact that there are 4-5 times as many buckler champions as there are any other school they seem to be the ones complaining the most. I keep hearing how they need even more buffs more damage etc. I even heard someone call this the age of the buccaneers. Well by those numbers that doesnt seem to be the case. Can we get some official numbers from KI please?

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2015
Masonpeev on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
I have a swashbuckler, musketeer, and buccaneer so don't think I'm just saying all of this out of the blue
i am have been level 65 for a while and everything is yellow or higher to me

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2015
Masonpeev on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
I have been facing some serious difficulties in this test realm as a buccaneer doing PvP. First of all, we now cannot shield stack which puts a huge huge hole in our defense, and on top of that we can't debuff stack either, which is also a key part of our strategy. This has come for me to say that buccaneer is extremely weak whereas swashbuckler has turned into a no brainer class, all they have to do is go into black fog, (which is still 2x for 5 round when it should be 1.5x for 5 rounds) then apply a curse onto you and your companions, and then all 4 people on the opposing side will just take down your captain, and then they can just easily destroy your companions. Some people may say that you can counter this by going into hidden yourself but if you do this then what the swashbuckler is going to do is kill off your companions, then its 1 vs 4, how is this fair? Not to mention this also destroys privateers because they also, again, shield stack so that they can defend themselves against swashbucklers, but now, there is absolutely no way of defense against this extremely overpowered class
anyway i am making a buccaneer to strong page and you can't stop me

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
mario king on Sep 12, 2015 wrote:
i am have been level 65 for a while and everything is yellow or higher to me
ok?

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
mario king on Sep 12, 2015 wrote:
anyway i am making a buccaneer to strong page and you can't stop me
when did I say I was stopping you?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Thomas Sunhammer on Sep 8, 2015 wrote:
Those are the estimates I have seen as well. And yet despite the fact that there are 4-5 times as many buckler champions as there are any other school they seem to be the ones complaining the most. I keep hearing how they need even more buffs more damage etc. I even heard someone call this the age of the buccaneers. Well by those numbers that doesnt seem to be the case. Can we get some official numbers from KI please?
I say age of melee classes over just swashbucklers or bucks, although it certainly seems as though there are more swash champs then any other class id say the quality of the buck champs is much better then the majority of swashys

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Sep 14, 2015 wrote:
I say age of melee classes over just swashbucklers or bucks, although it certainly seems as though there are more swash champs then any other class id say the quality of the buck champs is much better then the majority of swashys
And the sad fact of it all is this - what is the amount of Moo Robes among these champions?

Developer
anecorbie on Sep 14, 2015 wrote:
And the sad fact of it all is this - what is the amount of Moo Robes among these champions?
I'm sounding like a broken record here, but every season is going to have it's "best strat" and "best gear."

The sad fact of it is that you guys are not going to run out of asterixes to award to the champions of any season.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ratbeard on Sep 14, 2015 wrote:
I'm sounding like a broken record here, but every season is going to have it's "best strat" and "best gear."

The sad fact of it is that you guys are not going to run out of asterixes to award to the champions of any season.
The fact that you are currently trying to find a way to fix or at least "tone down" the Cotta, means even you and KI recognizes that this gear is OP.
It has nothing to do with strategy.

Developer
The fact that you are currently trying to find a way to fix or at least "tone down" the Cotta, means even you and KI recognizes that this gear is OP.
It has nothing to do with strategy.
Sometimes it just means that it's better to accommodate the players' requests.

If it means we have to nerf the Robes and then build privateers and witchdoctors back up in some other way (who, without a doubt, will suffer the most from this nerf), then that's what we'll have to do.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
I am sorry - are you - RATBEARD - saying that nerfing game items is the solution to curing things instead of letting the players learn how to defeat them on their own.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010

If it means we have to nerf the Robes and then build privateers and witchdoctors back up in some other way (who, without a doubt, will suffer the most from this nerf), then that's what we'll have to do.
Word of advice don't buff Privy, buff Witch only. Witch is the only class which suffers from this impact. Privy have done well even when my warrior's don't get the power regen glitch and Privy's actually IMO are the 2nd best from personal 1st and 2nd hand experience on both sides of fighting them and when being fought. They're probably the only other class in this meta that can compete against a good Buccaneer if you play right and have the top notch gear. They're simply a high maintenance class.

Witchdoctors on the other hand can't consistently come out with results. While I've had many matches on my witch I've found that if my opponent gets extreme amounts of luck there is no way I can make a strategic comeback no matter what I have left except other then a super heal for example while on privy I could easily have multiple chances to make come backs and even just with my pirate himself kill an entire bucklers team when being spammed by super's and epic's every turn.... Noah Vinter you know our match -.-

So the results from my matches says it all - Privy don't need to be buffed they simply need to open there minds to new strategies as they have the most flexibility in this meta but are high maintenance cost $$$

Witch need a minor improvement - my idea would be add a curse to mournsong to add onto the bleeding as this would mean we can apply pressure with a mournsong vs a lot of units and make us able to actually kill off some of the units by doing a mournsong lock down! :)

Other ideas - increase the damage amount for witch doctors, increase our base spooky, add more to the skeleton hoplites like relentless or bladestorm as they do like to critical, etc. Anything that buffs something up even by a bit is enough to give us an edge as every class besides witchdoctor have something in this meta to give them an edge. Atm Witch looks like a squishy fail privy in this meta when compared to the rest.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
out of the 4 buccaneer champions I know one buccaneer uses moo robe, the other is considered to be "the best buccaneer in game" and I didn't use moo robe, around 50-75% of the swashbucklers who got champion used moo robe, musketeer champion didn't use moo robe. And all the Privy champions (1 or 2) used moo robe, I see a common trend here

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014

Sure getting to champion was a struggle and its not just the use of a moo robe, I have beaten people using moo robe several times. However the fact of the matter is they have the advantage right from the start, being able to reduce the accuracy on everyone on my team leading to endless ripostes's or just the fact that my companions can't hit the enemy. then at the same time they do damage AND block my path from charging up to my opponent while reducing my dodge from hold the line 3. Seems fair doesn't it? I am basically trapped because there's a moving wall coming towards me

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014

oh, and all witchdoctors used moo robe, thats no surprise because of how frail their class is compared to buccaneers or swashbucklers. Many complain that without moo robe they'd be nothing vs these classes but what they don't realize is the swashbucklers and buccaneers (I haven't seen many bucks with moo robe at all) that they lose to all the time also carry the same robe. The terra cotta warriors should be nerfed down, privateers and witchdoctors given stat increases or power buffs, no other changes to other classes. This would significantly go towards the goal of a balanced rank PvP system.

Mason
Mason Silver
Mason Hawkins

Gunner's Mate
Sep 07, 2014
well you should all be very happy / yet again KI has caved to your wish and is nerfing yet another item for PVP.

I really wish people would just play the game as it was originally written / discover the strategics that get them around items / and move on without expecting to have to have things dumbed down.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Krigleblort on Sep 15, 2015 wrote:
well you should all be very happy / yet again KI has caved to your wish and is nerfing yet another item for PVP.

I really wish people would just play the game as it was originally written / discover the strategics that get them around items / and move on without expecting to have to have things dumbed down.
How is that fair when someone has an obvious advantage, and this new update is ok, I like the buff to the summers fires and the boosts seem pretty cool except for the fact that a buccaneer team can have no way of moving up because of ensign Emmett's reduces and at the same time old scratch is sitting there using mojo buffs which allow them to super hit mournsongs which btw do 1400-1700 damage with the new buffs not including the bleedouts. But its fine

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
I would just like to say that you don't have to post any more here if you don't want to, its an old issue, and its been resolved (kind of) but If you wish to keep the argument going, enjoy :)

Ensign
Aug 31, 2013
Krigleblort on Sep 15, 2015 wrote:

Trying not to be rude at all, I want any single counter to those other than Black Fog, and from you. From your speech, I can tell that you were using them. Please remember that it's not nice to have a VERY luck depending and extremely time consuming advantage, and many people don't have those two. Now it should all be fair play, everyone can use Old Scratch for instance.