Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers too overpowered

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2015
Masonpeev on Oct 4, 2015 wrote:
Thanks for the kind insult but notice the date on that post? yea this was before test realm. Now the problems are super hit poisons with scratch buff, 760 per turn
i don't even know when the test realm is on also is there something that makes you go into the test realm because if so i was never in the test realm

Petty Officer
Aug 30, 2014
Guten tag! I need to say my opinion about that.

Bucklers are not overpowered (aka op). ALL classes are overpowered with powers, techniques, gear, weapons, etc. It's probably the buckler that you were battling had super good techniques and gear.

Had to get that off me,

Erin
Belle de Bouff

Petty Officer
Aug 30, 2014
Though the powers could need some working because they are way too good and powerful. It's not really fair to the other classes!

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Erin The Buccaneer on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
Guten tag! I need to say my opinion about that.

Bucklers are not overpowered (aka op). ALL classes are overpowered with powers, techniques, gear, weapons, etc. It's probably the buckler that you were battling had super good techniques and gear.

Had to get that off me,

Erin
Belle de Bouff
Thanks for the post, this hasn't been active for a long time and for good reason, swashbucklers AREN'T as overpowered as when this post was first made (last year) And it wasn't a particular swashbuckler it was just that at the time the class itself was really good, and btw not all classes are "overpowered" Only about 60-70% are

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Masonpeev on Oct 7, 2015 wrote:
Well doesn't reducing a fist mean reducing weapon power? and even if it was this way a witchdoctor can hit me from a distance where my witch hunter won't work
No, the fist does not mean "weapon power." Weapon power is represented with two crossed swords. The fist represents damage output as a whole. I'm not sure if you know that now (Considering how long ago the quoted portion was posted) but I thought I'd clear that up just in case.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
ShadowStrikerV2 on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
No, the fist does not mean "weapon power." Weapon power is represented with two crossed swords. The fist represents damage output as a whole. I'm not sure if you know that now (Considering how long ago the quoted portion was posted) but I thought I'd clear that up just in case.
I do but Ty

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Masonpeev on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
Thanks for the post, this hasn't been active for a long time and for good reason, swashbucklers AREN'T as overpowered as when this post was first made (last year) And it wasn't a particular swashbuckler it was just that at the time the class itself was really good, and btw not all classes are "overpowered" Only about 60-70% are
I feel like if more the 50% of classes are overpowered, they aren't overpowered, the other classes are underpowered.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2013
just rush in and destroy him.because buccaneers are the best.

Ensign
Jun 05, 2012
Swashbucklers are way to overpowered.I have a friend who is a level 45 swashbuckler that does more damage than me and I am a level 65 musketeer!

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Marleybone64065 on Feb 9, 2016 wrote:
Swashbucklers are way to overpowered.I have a friend who is a level 45 swashbuckler that does more damage than me and I am a level 65 musketeer!
Not a surprise

My lvl 20 swashbuckler friend does as much damage as my monkey King at max with a hide and assassins strike, it's not unbalanced you have to protect yourself

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Marleybone64065 on Feb 9, 2016 wrote:
That one hit from hidden, and then what? He's exposed and vulnerable to attacks. It's a trade off - massive damage/low health & armor.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Feb 10, 2016 wrote:
That one hit from hidden, and then what? He's exposed and vulnerable to attacks. It's a trade off - massive damage/low health & armor.
Well technically you would buff first and have high dodge but you still make sense

Petty Officer
Nov 10, 2013
Masonpeev on Jul 18, 2015 wrote:
I have been facing some serious difficulties in this test realm as a buccaneer doing PvP. First of all, we now cannot shield stack which puts a huge huge hole in our defense, and on top of that we can't debuff stack either, which is also a key part of our strategy. This has come for me to say that buccaneer is extremely weak whereas swashbuckler has turned into a no brainer class, all they have to do is go into black fog, (which is still 2x for 5 round when it should be 1.5x for 5 rounds) then apply a curse onto you and your companions, and then all 4 people on the opposing side will just take down your captain, and then they can just easily destroy your companions. Some people may say that you can counter this by going into hidden yourself but if you do this then what the swashbuckler is going to do is kill off your companions, then its 1 vs 4, how is this fair? Not to mention this also destroys privateers because they also, again, shield stack so that they can defend themselves against swashbucklers, but now, there is absolutely no way of defense against this extremely overpowered class
yea i know i am about a year late for the party but buckler are NOT op simple aoe move can ALWAYS get them which makes it even better for witches because they can easily counter it(because almost there WHOLE class is bassed off of aoe moves) if you want more i have a guide to defeat every class BUT buckaneers because bucks
can charge at any time but this idea is another topic

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
Well my main character is a swashbuckler and I can never win a pvp fight so it really depends on what amounts of dodge or accuracy you have.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Pirate101 fan on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Well my main character is a swashbuckler and I can never win a pvp fight so it really depends on what amounts of dodge or accuracy you have.
Dodge and accuracy are great and all but they are NOT the most influential factors whatsoever

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Every time I fight a swashy, EVERY. I don't even kill ONE companion.

Ensign
Dec 23, 2013
It didn't help either when they removed the witchdoctor said ability to take them out of black fog either, ant mojo blast hitting them would take them out of fog or hidden. I think the turn should just be reduced to three turn, but upon acting (besides moving) you are taken out of black fog, but they still keep their damage, this way you can at least get a head start on them, but if anything hits them, like a ranged area attack, then they are taken out of hidden state.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Refuge of none on May 12, 2016 wrote:
It didn't help either when they removed the witchdoctor said ability to take them out of black fog either, ant mojo blast hitting them would take them out of fog or hidden. I think the turn should just be reduced to three turn, but upon acting (besides moving) you are taken out of black fog, but they still keep their damage, this way you can at least get a head start on them, but if anything hits them, like a ranged area attack, then they are taken out of hidden state.
That was the old, broken hide where anything that caused damage would remove hide - that's not coming back.
Shortening the duration of fog is also out, please consider that this is the one group buff a swashbuckler has & it goes away when used. Can you name any group or personal buffs that act like this?
You, as a WD, don't need to target a hidden swashbuckler to do damage: Old Scratch buff and Mojostorm/Jobu's Embrace does plenty harm and you can use this at range.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Wow this is still going on? That' pretty sad.

Swashbucklers are the burst class, they were designed to do burst damage which means if they don't kill you initially, they WILL have a hard time dealing with you in the long run due to the fact that, though their abilities are powerful, they're few. Hidden abilities are their strongest attribute, once those are gone guess what? They're just frail and easy to crush with a good AoE or Tank. I can argue how Buccs are OP simply because they can go full Tank and wall out practically anyone that deals physical damage.

Swashes aren't OP, people playing against them are just trying to fight fire with fire and, in turn, end up six leagues under. If you're a Witch, you have Teleport to get out of range, companions with abilities that can be ranked up to hit a Hidden Swash. Buccs can simply body the Swash's Companions while the Swash is Hidden, FORCING the Swash out if they want to save their Companion(s). Privateers have AoE's and Heals, as well as Damage Mitigation abilities. Musketeers have Overwatch, Traps, Bombs, etc.

Plus you have pets that can sniff out any enemies near it, removing the Hidden status. In PvP I would think this would be a must. Yes, you aren't guaranteed to have your pet pop up during the match but it at least gives you something to work with, and when it DOES pop up guess what? Now the Swash has to pay attention to where the pet is and how far it can move, effectively ruining their plans.

All classes are pretty balanced, some could use a boost here or there but none of them need a nerf. I don't have any issues against Swashes or any class for that matter because there's so many ways to counter them with every class. Just remember, Swashes struggle without their abilities. Make them waste them or force them into a fight before they can set up and you'll have them on the ropes.

Have fun!

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
Nightblood1995 on May 18, 2016 wrote:
Wow this is still going on? That' pretty sad.

Swashbucklers are the burst class, they were designed to do burst damage which means if they don't kill you initially, they WILL have a hard time dealing with you in the long run due to the fact that, though their abilities are powerful, they're few. Hidden abilities are their strongest attribute, once those are gone guess what? They're just frail and easy to crush with a good AoE or Tank. I can argue how Buccs are OP simply because they can go full Tank and wall out practically anyone that deals physical damage.

Swashes aren't OP, people playing against them are just trying to fight fire with fire and, in turn, end up six leagues under. If you're a Witch, you have Teleport to get out of range, companions with abilities that can be ranked up to hit a Hidden Swash. Buccs can simply body the Swash's Companions while the Swash is Hidden, FORCING the Swash out if they want to save their Companion(s). Privateers have AoE's and Heals, as well as Damage Mitigation abilities. Musketeers have Overwatch, Traps, Bombs, etc.

Plus you have pets that can sniff out any enemies near it, removing the Hidden status. In PvP I would think this would be a must. Yes, you aren't guaranteed to have your pet pop up during the match but it at least gives you something to work with, and when it DOES pop up guess what? Now the Swash has to pay attention to where the pet is and how far it can move, effectively ruining their plans.

All classes are pretty balanced, some could use a boost here or there but none of them need a nerf. I don't have any issues against Swashes or any class for that matter because there's so many ways to counter them with every class. Just remember, Swashes struggle without their abilities. Make them waste them or force them into a fight before they can set up and you'll have them on the ropes.

Have fun!
It is impossible as a privy to be able to play defense against a buckler early game. They have to fog first and I have t be able to have barricade up and get all of my companions in order for the raise barricade strategy to work. Yes, a witch can teleport out of range, and then all their companions die. They have no scratch, or any other companion, and the opposing pirate can still reach the with before fog ends.
Where did you get the info that buccs can wall out physical damage? A bucc can't do that unless they have stacked up levy's or any other protection buff. And even so, there is something called purge. Once again, PURGE for privy. They surpass overwatch, and they have alert, so the only useful trap is knockbacks, and even that can be surpassed very easily.
The good buckler will kill a pet first before they fog, so that's out of the question. I have to use ratbeard/toro in order to effectively fight against buckler without too much loss.

Petty Officer
Sep 17, 2011
personally I completely agree hat swash are op in pvp only because I'm tired of being 1 shot killed by them whenever I play as a witch or gunner. Of course buccs can also 1 shot kill me when I pvp with either of those classes so maybe buccs are op also in pvp...thing about a swash is they have like a ton of hides in pvp usualy so harder to deal with.

Petty Officer
Sep 17, 2011
Sooo, anyone said about adding Team Pvp yet? Everyone who wants team pvp like this comment and reply: I want team pvp please.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
Please stop complaining.Privateers cant beat any class very easily in PVP if its anyone who should be complaining about over powering classes its us! We are strictly a support class makings challenging to defeat melee classes and ranged. Yeah I can heal but it doesn't help if I'm doing 230 now is it? While you guys go prancing around smashing out 300 and blocking all my attempts at attack....not very fair is it?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Covenator1162 on May 19, 2016 wrote:
personally I completely agree hat swash are op in pvp only because I'm tired of being 1 shot killed by them whenever I play as a witch or gunner. Of course buccs can also 1 shot kill me when I pvp with either of those classes so maybe buccs are op also in pvp...thing about a swash is they have like a ton of hides in pvp usualy so harder to deal with.
There is only one team hide, all the others are individual. So I can hide but what about the rest of my team? Most are extremely squishy and if I haven't been able to KO you or most of your team, then what happens? Before I can hide you attack me. So unless I've been smart and applied a shield it's "GG". ( Even then, not matter how good that shield is it won't stand up to an all out power card assault. )

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
GoldenNorth on May 19, 2016 wrote:
Please stop complaining.Privateers cant beat any class very easily in PVP if its anyone who should be complaining about over powering classes its us! We are strictly a support class makings challenging to defeat melee classes and ranged. Yeah I can heal but it doesn't help if I'm doing 230 now is it? While you guys go prancing around smashing out 300 and blocking all my attempts at attack....not very fair is it?
In my experience, a privateer when played correctly easily beats a buck, witch, and musket. Beating a buck for me is quite simple. Not easy, but simple. Although it may take a long time, I manage to beat them the majority of the time with the shroud tank strategy.

The problem that I have with bucklers is not the fog that everyone complains about, it's the curse that comes from poison, which shuts down my bread and butter.