Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

It continues to happen

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
My companions are being completely useless they never hit their target and never dodge the enemies' attacks even though I give them a dodge or accuracy.

My question is why do they never dodge or land a hit?!

It seems like they're doing it on purpose and I wish KI added a feature where you could punish companions for being this utterly useless!

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
make sure your companion's level is adequate to fight the enemies you are fighting. even if you train accuracy, a level 3 bonnie anne won't hit a level 7 cutthroat very often.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zachshock on Jul 5, 2015 wrote:
My companions are being completely useless they never hit their target and never dodge the enemies' attacks even though I give them a dodge or accuracy.

It seems like they're doing it on purpose and I wish KI added a feature where you could punish companions for being this utterly useless!
Punish the captain first; I always consider it my fault if my companions constantly fail me. First, examine the enemies you're using them against - are they the same level or slightly higher? Their dodge is matched against their opponents accuracy. Their accuracy is matched against dodge or armor ( in the case of magic attacks, then 'will' comes into play.) Also, perhaps you haven't given them enough dodge or accuracy.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Where in the game are you, and what level are your "useless" companions?

You can punish your companions. Assign them to tasks and they don't get to adventure with you.

Ensign
Mar 20, 2010
zachshock on Jul 5, 2015 wrote:

Maybe this is just confirmation bias. Or perhaps they are underleveled; are you doing all of your sidequests? Blocking hits is determined by comparing the target and the attacker's attributes, so that could be a problem. There's not much more I can suggest if you don't give me any more information, such as level, class, and world. The best of luck, though.

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
Well I am a level 23 Witchdoctor and my main 3 companions are Lucky Jack, Ratbeard, and Lo Pan. The world I'm in is Cool Ranch.

I gave Lo Pan dodgy rank 2 and same with Accuracy yet he never dodges and his enemies always dodges his attacks. ( He's level 20 )

Ratbeard is the worst I gave him Accuracy 2 but, his attacks miss every time. ( He's level 20 )

Lucky Jack rarely has this problem but 50% of his attacks land, 25% of the time critical and the other 25% just miss. ( He's level 21 with Accuracy 2 )

Ensign
Aug 09, 2013
zachshock on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
Well I am a level 23 Witchdoctor and my main 3 companions are Lucky Jack, Ratbeard, and Lo Pan. The world I'm in is Cool Ranch.

I gave Lo Pan dodgy rank 2 and same with Accuracy yet he never dodges and his enemies always dodges his attacks. ( He's level 20 )

Ratbeard is the worst I gave him Accuracy 2 but, his attacks miss every time. ( He's level 20 )

Lucky Jack rarely has this problem but 50% of his attacks land, 25% of the time critical and the other 25% just miss. ( He's level 21 with Accuracy 2 )
I know this isn't helpful but, Lo Pan? Do you mean Kan Po? Lo Pan is a boss during Mooshu, around level 46.. And when you beat him, he doesn't become a companion... so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you mean Kan Po.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I personally don't have that problem anymore, since I pick the attributes of my companions well.

I keep their level the same as my pirate, pausing play each time he goes up a level to train them using Keel Haulin' and Brawlin'. Yes, it takes several days, but with a level 65 cap, and no lifting of it in sight, you might as well spend the time.

I then make sure they all have Accuracy up as high as allowed. That increases the base chance of hitting with both physical and magical damage.

I then concentrate on Strength for Buccaneers, Agility for Swashbucklers and Musketeers, and Will for Privateers and Witchdoctors.

In battle I use what I call the "Chicken Buffs" as often as possible.

I find that my companions miss very infrequently then.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
zachshock on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:

Cool Ranch does change things up a bit - the enemies there do seem to have much greater Dodge than earlier in the game. You may try adjusting your strategy to have Ranged crew members try their luck. Sticking with the same crew that have previously been a good team may not be the best way going forward.

Before Advanced Companions, when the crew was randomly generated, many players discovered companions they had previously thought useless found a way through when the favorites faltered. Where is your Bonnie Anne?