Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I want to start a witch doctor

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
any advice, pet talents, stats to focus on , gear to focus on, etc.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
zachshock on May 23, 2015 wrote:
I don't have any Witchdoctor characters and I'm no Decius when it comes to pets, but I can try to at least give universal advice for the early game:
-As difficult as it may be, leveling up a few levels ahead of the curve can give you a much bigger damage advantage over enemies, and also for your Companions' damage.
-Wait a few levels until you can level up your companions with one training point. It helps to maximize usage :)
-Keep track of your inventory! After several battles with loot drops, it may be a good idea to look back over your gear and see if you got anything better than your current Pirate gear. If you get Dutchman or The Master loot drops, however, they will likely be better than any other trinkets you will get for a while.. still, don't look over something when you're selling until you're sure its not the best.
-For companions in the early game I usually choose Rough and Tough first, though I'm definitely not an expert on companion maximization. Duelist101 has very good companion build guides, so it might be worth a look.

I hope this helped a little, and if you already knew this stuff, I apologize for repeating :p
Please also note that these are just tips that have worked for my Swashbuckler and Buccaneer and NOT witchdoctor. I assume these tips are universal, but feel free to switch it up.
Have a fantastic week!

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Friend of Thieives

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zachshock on May 23, 2015 wrote:
Well, the basics are covered in "What is a Witchdoctor" and there isn't much more to it than that. Will makes your spells more powerful, so gear that boosts it would be a good idea. Witchdoctors have some good long range attacks as well as some good AoE attacks, but are a little weak early on. You're gonna want some heals and shields. That's why I chose Bonnie, Kan-Po and Keisuke as my starting line up. They all have heals and the goat dudes have 'hidden' which means that their first attacks out of it will be big and this is crucial for a class that generally does lower damage that some of the other classes. If you'd rather not spend for a Crown Shop companion, I would recommend any Buccaneer companion that has one of the Buccaneer Charge powers because they reduce the accuracy of your opponents and Buccaneer companions can also absorb more damage that other classes. As far as pets go, any pet that will appear in battle will do lol. Pets will offer different grants, so just keep training them up until you find a pet that gives you something useful like a will buff or a shield or something. Another thing that worked good for my Witch was using blades instead of a staff or wand. I would encourage you to do this if you are able to get any gear that grants Assassins Strike or something similar because using blades allows you to move and attack in the same round...an ability that Witchdoctors and Musketeers lack. After you have made it to Moo Tower and get the Nefarious gear...it's all good and you wont need any gear or weaponry other than that. Blood's Flames are good to have for Witchdoctors, but Tower gear won't let you down either. Fair sailing, friend.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
As a witchdoctor this is a challenging class, in general this class focuses on gears that boost will and magical resistance. However this class have to deal physical attacks. Don't forget to train in the privateer class for those healing spells.

Try buying some beastly packs to find that heck kitty or ask a willing player to morph one for you. I heard it's a great pet and in my opinon it fit well with witchdoctor characters.

Until then have a fun adventure and see you in the skyways.

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
Another thing is,I seem to struggle with ship battles and it gets to point where the enemies board my ship to fight me. ( I'm tired of those kind of fights ).

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zachshock on May 26, 2015 wrote:
Another thing is,I seem to struggle with ship battles and it gets to point where the enemies board my ship to fight me. ( I'm tired of those kind of fights ).
Aye, leveling nautical is a chore we all have to do, but I don't know anyone who looks forward to it. I send all of my companions (except for the 3 that make up my starting line-up) out 'sailin' to get nautical x points for me and can usually gain a nautical level or two everyday. If you are able to find a group of players farming ships or leveling nautical...join in. When you're part of a group of 3 or 4 players, the nautical x points add up quickly. However, it seems that we are always under-leveled for those pesky ship quests. I get boarded often and don't really see a way around it. If you have a lengthy ship quest staring you in the face, you can usually find someone hanging around Avery Court with a powerful ship who would be willing to help. Fair sailing, friend!

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
zachshock on May 26, 2015 wrote:
What I usually do for ships is before I travel to a new world, I look at the combat badges, (defeat 250 Water Moles for example), then I go find ships with those enemies on them and shoot them out of the skies until I get the badge.

Since Each ship seems to be worth 2 notches in my axe for the badge, I slowly, but steadily get the badge with a steady stream of nautical exp flowing in, while my companions are off looking for pet eggs or getting nautical experience themselves.

This also makes sure that I enter the new world with an edge on the enemy for ship battles.

Not to mention I usually end up with some really good ship loot by the end of that badge.

Ooh, and also, DAT SCRIP!

I hope this helps.

Charming Morgan Freeman, lvl 65
Corrupt Grace, lvl 65
Sheila, lvl 10

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
As a maxed Witch, I HAVE to say that this is a challenging class, but the rewards are endless and it's quite fun! The gear you choose, what I did was I went through all my available gear in my level range in the bazaar, looked for what had the best will, and lf course what style of clothing I wanted, and bought it. I used this method through out the entire game, and it reaped its rewards. As for pets, I have an Ebon Spectre and it has merciless, which made it a powerhouse. You always want a pet that either has relentless, which my Ebon had, Loyalty, gives a higher chance to join you in battle, and/or charming gaze. Hope this helps!

Catherine Reade Lvl 65-