Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

FrogFather Friday--Perfect PvP Pet?

AuthorMessage
Developer
Heyoooo!

Time flies when you’re having fun, and speaking of flies, what’s with that rumble in my stomach? Max! Fetch me some vanilla fliescream to hold me over till dinner. I got a gratuitous grab bag of grubs from a secret vendor off Skull Island proper, but a frog’s gotta keep some hip hop in his flip flops, see? You don’t want a guy like me hopping around without a clear head, capiche?

Anywhos, the folks behind the scenes, here, they’re also eatin’ through the bugs like no one’s business. All those posts yous be making on the forums and what have you? Yeah, we have a tireless crew scouring the decks, as they say, and makin’ sure that the Spiral is a safe place to be. You know that the Frogfather is all about safety right? Uh…eat your vegetables, kids, and watch out for fallin’ cannonballs, and all sorts of other stuff.

So you wanna know the low down about the inner workings of the fine machine we call Pirate101, eh? Well, if I told ya specifics, I’d have to send you for a long walk off a short Monquistan pier, but I can let on that we’re hard at work on some exciting stuff here. Mums the words, as they say, but if a little birdie whistled three words in your ear, they would be “battle, boats, and buddies”. How annoyingly vague would that little birdie be? I would probably tell that birdie to sing somewhere else, but I’m afraid that’s all you get for now because all this hard work here . . . it’s not quite ready for the light of day . . . or maybe even that light they shine in your eyes when they ask you “where you were on the night of the 13th.” But, HEY, things are still moving in the general direction of forward, and in the future, once the Frogfather deems them worthy, we will let you in on our little secrets. Until then, you might keep yourself busy carrying around that crazy donkey thing that magically makes you go faster, or fighting with those pillows.

So, let’s frrrogeabout all that for now and chat about somethin’ else. I recently found myself around the Brawlin’ Hall, watching Pirates battle amongst themselves. I saw some pretty slick moves! What really caught my eye was their pets, helpin’ them out all loyal-like in the fight. So, my question is this, my friends – using only what you’ve seen so far in the Spiral, what would your perfectamundo pet for fightin’ in PVP look like?

Ahhh! Max has arrived with my vanilla fliescream, so I’m gonna scram. We’ll meet again soon; I’m certain of it.

(Gonna eat some) Ciao,

The Frogfather

"Frogeddabowdit!" -The FrogFather (aka Jay Gordon, Piratical Producer)
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ahoy, FrogFather, nice to know that you're very busy on the Good Ship of Kingsisle x sigh x I wouldn't mind a long walk on a short Monquistan pier, if it brought me some inside information, know what I mean? ( just no cement boots, please. )
I don't often PVP, but the perfect pet for one is often the perfect pet for the other; so without any further ado:

Criteria #1 My pet must be attractive ( no spiders or crabs need apply ) I prefer a cute fuzzy pet, I want to be able to cuddle it in appreciation for its assistance.
Criteria #2 It must have powerful talents for itself, especially Charming Gaze.
Criteria #3 It must grant me good powers or talents; especially blade storm or a heal.

So there you have it, my shopping list for a perfect pet - PVP or PVE.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
battle boats buddies = ship pvp i bet just saying...

Community Leader
Hope we will see more clues and hints dropped soon regarding whatever you're working on for Pirate101 this year. Pictures would be a nice bonus... We are eagerly waiting for an update. I personally can't wait to continue the storyline! I know many other pirates cannot wait as well.

As for PvP, well I don't do PvP lol. >.> But I do like pets! I like Hybrids even better!!

Need help with Ships, Companions, Pets, Gear? Pirate101 Skyways has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2012
The Frogfather on Apr 24, 2015 wrote:
Heyoooo!

Time flies when you’re having fun, and speaking of flies, what’s with that rumble in my stomach? Max! Fetch me some vanilla fliescream to hold me over till dinner. I got a gratuitous grab bag of grubs from a secret vendor off Skull Island proper, but a frog’s gotta keep some hip hop in his flip flops, see? You don’t want a guy like me hopping around without a clear head, capiche?

Anywhos, the folks behind the scenes, here, they’re also eatin’ through the bugs like no one’s business. All those posts yous be making on the forums and what have you? Yeah, we have a tireless crew scouring the decks, as they say, and makin’ sure that the Spiral is a safe place to be. You know that the Frogfather is all about safety right? Uh…eat your vegetables, kids, and watch out for fallin’ cannonballs, and all sorts of other stuff.

So you wanna know the low down about the inner workings of the fine machine we call Pirate101, eh? Well, if I told ya specifics, I’d have to send you for a long walk off a short Monquistan pier, but I can let on that we’re hard at work on some exciting stuff here. Mums the words, as they say, but if a little birdie whistled three words in your ear, they would be “battle, boats, and buddies”. How annoyingly vague would that little birdie be? I would probably tell that birdie to sing somewhere else, but I’m afraid that’s all you get for now because all this hard work here . . . it’s not quite ready for the light of day . . . or maybe even that light they shine in your eyes when they ask you “where you were on the night of the 13th.” But, HEY, things are still moving in the general direction of forward, and in the future, once the Frogfather deems them worthy, we will let you in on our little secrets. Until then, you might keep yourself busy carrying around that crazy donkey thing that magically makes you go faster, or fighting with those pillows.

So, let’s frrrogeabout all that for now and chat about somethin’ else. I recently found myself around the Brawlin’ Hall, watching Pirates battle amongst themselves. I saw some pretty slick moves! What really caught my eye was their pets, helpin’ them out all loyal-like in the fight. So, my question is this, my friends – using only what you’ve seen so far in the Spiral, what would your perfectamundo pet for fightin’ in PVP look like?

Ahhh! Max has arrived with my vanilla fliescream, so I’m gonna scram. We’ll meet again soon; I’m certain of it.

(Gonna eat some) Ciao,

The Frogfather
I am guessing I am not the only one thinking what battles boats and buddies means but sence i am seeing more hints i am satisfied for a month or so (dont take that long keep these coming :P)

Petty Officer
Feb 07, 2010
I'm not big on PVP but I think the most effectie ability a pet currently gets is bloodsucker. I also noticed that there is a regrettable shortage of pets that attack from a distance, so a musketeer or witchdoctor class pet would be good.

Regarding your message from a bird, I think he's actually terrible at being vauge because he obviously means we will get into more fights, get some new ships, and get some more people on our crew. And for reference, the next "thirteeth" is three wendsdays from the date of this post.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Another non-PvP pirate player here. Just thought I'd add my two-cents anyway, since others have already:

1) must have healing capabilities, whether the pet will heal someone on its own, or give a heal card that I can control,

2) good range of motion,

3) decent damage.

"Moving in the general direction of forward" is good, but maybe do you need some of the magical donkeys that allow you to move faster? I've got one I can lend you...

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Heyoooo!

(Gonna eat some) Ciao,

The Frogfather
Hello Frogfather!

I believe that every strategy should be based on what your opponent is bringing to the table. With that said, I think the "perfect" PvP pet all depends on what class you are using, what strategy you plan to employ, and most importantly what class your opponent is using. The answer is really broad!

With that said, here are the "general" pets I would use for each of my classes in something like ranked PvP where I wouldn't know what class my opponent is:

For my Musketeer, my dream pet has the 3 powers Grant Rouse, Grant Rally and Grants Kraken's Lament. For talents, Charming Gaze 2, Scent 2 (for those pesky Swashbucklers) and Webs 1.

For my Swashbuckler, powers would have to be Grants Rally, Grants Rouse, and the pet to learn the selfish Brutal Charge power. For talents, Grants Turn the Tide, Grants Elusive and Charming Gaze 2.

For my Privateer, powers would be Grants Back Stab, Selfish Mighty Charge and Victory Pie. For talents, Grants Turn the Tide, Charming Gaze 2, Scent 2.

For my Witchdoctor, it would be very similar to Musketeer. Powers Grant Rouse, Grant Rally and Grant Kraken's Lament. For talents, Charming Gaze 2, Scent 2, Grant elusive.

For Buccaneer, powers are Grants Back Stab, Grants Rouse and Grants Rally. Talents are Grants Elusive, Grants Turn the Tide, Charming Gaze 2.

If I had more space I would explain each choice in detail, but in general if you know your opponent is not a Swashbuckler and is not carrying many Walk in Darkness, you get rid of scent 2 for something else. Charming Gaze 2 (gaze 3 is best if you don't need scent, gaze 1 alone is useless) is so strong that it should be on every PvP pet. For all other classes except Privateers who get enough heals, you should also have both grants Rally and Rouse. Healing is so important in PvP. Grant elusive in all classes except for Musk/Privy who already have elusive 3. Grants elusive together with trained elusive 2 puts you at elusive 3 which is REALLY powerful.

-Alex Deathflame

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
perfect pet,you ask? well, i'm a fan of my Taz. He's a corrupted dragon that gives blade storm, elusive, turn the tide, and has charming gaze 2. he's got a few other perks ( a heal grant? flanking 2? sneaky sneaky? something along those lines) but those are the powers that make him my favorite partner in Crime.

Petty Officer
May 13, 2010
So it looks like the next update will include ship PvP. Also, with the bird singing somewhere else means a new world expansion FINALLY Now it's just a matter of getting the clues to what the new worlds will be and when will we start seeing them. If they are as close to releasing the expansion as everyone thinks we should see something in the next newsletter Maybe Hopefully

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Soooo, what is so important about the 13th?

Also Best pet for me in PVP would be:

Scent
Charming Gaze 2
Grants Elusive
Grants Regroup
Brutal Charge
Rainbow Blessing

Lol, those last 2 seem slightly contradictory.

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
Hello Frogfather, it seems that after decoding through all that poetry i was able to figure out that you guys are going to release a new world but, its not ready yet, I find this somewhat uneasing as its been 2 YEARS, I agree with Kelsey Fireheart, If you guys are making something new, we want at least SOME pictures, am really looking forward to see what happens and maybe explore the new world with my buccaneer

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I hope it's not just a pvp update that is coming. Seriously I think there is enough of that and too much actually. Are we really here to focus on killing each other in many different ways? Do we really need a third one? Also, if ranked pvp is being added with rewards and things, I hope that something will be added to pve that will offer comparable rewards. Not everybody gets their jollies from pvp. Personally, I was hoping for more of a joining together in a combined effort against the enemy...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Hello Frogfather, how this works? You asked for info about my PvP pet, and for that information I get a favor from you? Nah, I'll give this one for free!

My WD is currently working on awesome PvP and PvE pet:

Talents:
Eagle Eyes 2 - for extended range
Merciless 2 - Finishing wounded enemies can come in handy
Grants Dodgy 2 - If my Witchdoctor has to learns something, that is Dodge!

Powers:
Sandstorm - Blinds my enemies easily and takes away their accuracy
Rainbow Blessing - Extra boost on random stats for my whole team! YAY!
Grants Regroup - Need to keep my crew at highest health possible!

That is it for my perfect pet. I am half way completing it!

Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Ensign
Mar 29, 2013
I'm not really fond of PVP, and when I would do PVP's a while ago, the group decided to not have pets allowed.

But, in a pet in general, I have different wants or needs for different pirates.
For example, my swashbuckler has a pet that "grants blade storm" and "grants tough"

So I generally want them to grant things that are beneficial to my pirates :)

Petty Officer
Nov 15, 2012
i like penguins so i would like to see a cute lil penguin pet that shoots water out through his mouth at the enemies...

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
I have different play styles and each requires a different pet. Grants is red. Pets powers are green

Melee weapon style- brutal charge, backstab, sneak attack, turn the tide, bladestorm, scent 2

Staffy style- Grants, rally, regroup, jobus kiss, scent 3 charming gaze 1

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
I am NOT a PvPer, as I hate it when people brag about themselves as the best. However, my pet is pretty powerful, even if it isn't in PvP.

My pet is a 472 pedigree Golden Sky Dragon. It has a full set of 3 epics it can use: Bloodsucker 2, Flanking, and Webs. It can use Kraken's Coils, and it grants me Mojo Strike and Kraken's Lament. To me, that is a good pet that can both attack very well and grant me a couple moves! That is my ideal pet!

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Well well well well....

My dream pet would have to be elusive, turn the tide, tough 2, rally, kraken's lament and triton's song

P.S. dear dear Frogfather, could you give us a little just little clue about the update? I honestly thought that test realm was going to come out the 13th ..... Maybe it'll come out tomorrow, (Friday) people are off school, (Saturday for some) but ehh, fingers crossed on Friday c:

Ensign
Feb 05, 2011
I really do hope that there is a new update is coming soon, but remember everyone. Patience is a virtue and we must use it the best we can. If they made us wait this long we can only assume it's gonna be something BIG! And tomorrow might be a FrogFather Friday where our beloved FrogFather gives us some insight on what's going on, of course, he'll give it to us subtly.

• Maybe while we wait, some of us maximum leveled pirates could help the lower leveled ones who are struggling with something.
  • Or you could do some farming. (Like I need to do... Must. Get. Nefarious. Knives.)
  • Also what if you need to level up some of your characters? Do that too!
  • Train all of the pets you have, do some morphing, maybe find a new hybrid, or get your perfect pet.
  • Do those Valencia Side Quests, after all, we go there next.
  • But most importantly, just have fun, the update will be here before you guys know it.

~Bloody Inari Windlass, 65, Nefarious 6th~

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One that I could control....

I think it would be a neat addition if there were an NPC, pet trainer (housing item from Crown Shop) that we could place in our homes (1 NPC per pirate), that we could 'store' pets with, once they hit max level. It would be kind of a bonus, over-and-above feature where we would be able to drop off max level pets and pay some gold to have the pet trainer 'tame our wild beasts'. Then maybe we could complete 'mini-side quests' to unleash our pets' full potential in battle....aka, we have control over their movement and power usage. Once we complete the side quests (maybe just 2 or 3 short battle or collection quests), we can then pick up our faithful critter and go kick some tail, with our new 'obedient' pirate's best friends.

Or......perhaps 'unlocking' the ability to control the pet in battle, could come from acquiring a specific piece (or pieces) of pet housing items from the Grizzly Beast card packs. This would possibly increase game revenue from purchasing the packs...but would still be an option for the player and a fun side activity, with an amazing reward. We would then have to place the items around the NPC (that we placed in our home), thus 'qualifying' the pet for completion of training. And perhaps we could only train a limited amount at a time or even just one at a time.

Having a pet we can command in battle, PvP or PvE, would be truly rewarding and worth it, especially if we had to work for and earn the faithful critter.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 15, 2015 wrote:
One that I could control....

I think it would be a neat addition if there were an NPC, pet trainer (housing item from Crown Shop) that we could place in our homes (1 NPC per pirate), that we could 'store' pets with, once they hit max level. It would be kind of a bonus, over-and-above feature where we would be able to drop off max level pets and pay some gold to have the pet trainer 'tame our wild beasts'. Then maybe we could complete 'mini-side quests' to unleash our pets' full potential in battle....aka, we have control over their movement and power usage. Once we complete the side quests (maybe just 2 or 3 short battle or collection quests), we can then pick up our faithful critter and go kick some tail, with our new 'obedient' pirate's best friends.

Or......perhaps 'unlocking' the ability to control the pet in battle, could come from acquiring a specific piece (or pieces) of pet housing items from the Grizzly Beast card packs. This would possibly increase game revenue from purchasing the packs...but would still be an option for the player and a fun side activity, with an amazing reward. We would then have to place the items around the NPC (that we placed in our home), thus 'qualifying' the pet for completion of training. And perhaps we could only train a limited amount at a time or even just one at a time.

Having a pet we can command in battle, PvP or PvE, would be truly rewarding and worth it, especially if we had to work for and earn the faithful critter.
Yes!
1. being able to summon a pet when we need it
2. tell them where to go: like "get outta my way!"
3. and who to attack. "no, not that one, there's a good boy ( or girl ) "

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on May 15, 2015 wrote:
Yes!
1. being able to summon a pet when we need it
2. tell them where to go: like "get outta my way!"
3. and who to attack. "no, not that one, there's a good boy ( or girl ) "
Couldn't agree more!

Many a times a pet with full health has left a tile adjacent to a nearly 'dead' enemy.....and 2 or 3 other enemies with Cheap Shot, only to get Cheap Shotted into oblivion...and the nearly 'dead' enemy stayed just that. When all the pet needed to do was stay put and finish off the nearly 'dead' enemy. What's worse is when that pet moves away from that almost un-alive enemy and triggers multiple Parting Shots from other musketeer enemies. And because the enemy has such an advantage in Agility, those Parting Shots become Critical Hits, which then trigger Double Tap on other crew members.

If I could have only whispered into my pet's ear and 'showed it the way'. Or like you stated, just have it step aside and keep granting me all those powers-- you know let me do all the fighting and it do all the granting. I would certainly settle for only having 'total control' over pets that we can send off to 'learn' their new pirate-friendly tricks. I'd even pay a wee bit for it....total control, ain't cheap these days!

Ensign
Mar 17, 2011
Heyoooo!

(Gonna eat some) Ciao,

The Frogfather
The pvp pets I use have things that can really interfere with the other players strategy but also helps you, for pvp pets I like to have webs because vs bucks it can really stop them in there tracks if they try to charge I like charming gaze vs bucklers because there first strike makes them able to be charmed and when they are chamred they waste assassins on there own team another good thing for pvp pets is grants such as elusive turn the tide and group heals