Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bed Rest. Good or Bad?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 12, 2009
The obvious answer is that this feature is bad. These bed rest times for higher level companions are unnecessarily long! Like 4 to 7 hours for one companion? For what? Just so that when the next battle comes they'll die again and you'll have to wait another 4 to 7 hours? I mean really these time are ridiculous. I mean even 1 hour is ridiculous, I mean who thought it was a good idea to make these times 7 hours! I say these times should be reduced to like 20 minutes without the ability to wake the companions up. That will make you have 1 or 2 battles without that companion. I mean the only reason I'm typing this response is because i'm waiting for Bonnie Anne to heal for 5 more hours. The game is great, really but these waiting times are CRAZY and the prices for miracle whats-his-face are through the roof! I really can't stand this feature at all. I know all the people that are going to reply are gonna be like 'They only do this to make you try more companions!" yeah, i know that, That's the whole point but i mean once my main guys die then i send in my next guys and then they die and then it's just a never ending cycle of my guys dying. I mean i pay membership and I even buy crowns to keep you guys in business but i won't anymore if you guys keep this up. I really just can't stand this.

Sincerely,

Honest Brandon Freeman level 59

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
sean0304 on Apr 19, 2015 wrote:
The obvious answer is that this feature is bad. These bed rest times for higher level companions are unnecessarily long! Like 4 to 7 hours for one companion? For what? Just so that when the next battle comes they'll die again and you'll have to wait another 4 to 7 hours? I mean really these time are ridiculous. I mean even 1 hour is ridiculous, I mean who thought it was a good idea to make these times 7 hours! I say these times should be reduced to like 20 minutes without the ability to wake the companions up. That will make you have 1 or 2 battles without that companion. I mean the only reason I'm typing this response is because i'm waiting for Bonnie Anne to heal for 5 more hours. The game is great, really but these waiting times are CRAZY and the prices for miracle whats-his-face are through the roof! I really can't stand this feature at all. I know all the people that are going to reply are gonna be like 'They only do this to make you try more companions!" yeah, i know that, That's the whole point but i mean once my main guys die then i send in my next guys and then they die and then it's just a never ending cycle of my guys dying. I mean i pay membership and I even buy crowns to keep you guys in business but i won't anymore if you guys keep this up. I really just can't stand this.

Sincerely,

Actually they're doing this so you get hacked-off and come onto the message boards to complain. They love hearing when a player is having trouble because they forgot to defend or heal an important companion in battle. They enjoy the fact that you are now forced to use 'second rate' companions that you've neglected to level and train.
Where do you get the 7 hour 'bed-rest', aren't you exaggerating? Oh, you must have ignored the 'Scrapper' talent because 'this won't help me in battle'.
"Miracles aren't cheap".

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Here is a question. How many training points did you use for any type of defensive capabilities on your companions? Yeah balanced combat does take a little longer but the chances of dying are less.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012

Sincerely,

Try actually taking care of your companions in battle. Heal them, shield them, whatever you need to do to keep them from dying. And level up your other companions too of course, it comes in handy! I like this feature, before this came out I would foolishly send my companions out and they would get destroyed, but I would easily just go to a life fountain and it would be fine. This gives a more depth to combat in a sense that you need to play more strategically.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
I think it's a good thing. It makes healing in battle more important. Makes things like dodge, hit points, armor more valuable for your companions. It makes it where you might use more than your top 3 or 4 companions. And it is a good gold sink.

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
Have good companions and they won't die! And have back-ups!
I have 3 solid companions for my : Chantal, Bonnie and Wild Bill Peacock
My backups are El Toro, Louie LeBisque, that from the Tribal Crew Pack, and Hawkules.
Sometimes I put Chantal in battle when she's wounded , because the AI does not target her. Really, It's not that bad . You can live with it!

Ensign
Mar 12, 2009
anecorbie on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
Actually they're doing this so you get hacked-off and come onto the message boards to complain. They love hearing when a player is having trouble because they forgot to defend or heal an important companion in battle. They enjoy the fact that you are now forced to use 'second rate' companions that you've neglected to level and train.
Where do you get the 7 hour 'bed-rest', aren't you exaggerating? Oh, you must have ignored the 'Scrapper' talent because 'this won't help me in battle'.
"Miracles aren't cheap".
Well first off the Scrapper talent only takes of about 10- 40% of the time and forces you to get this talent instead of the fighting talents which causes companions to die even more and clearly you aren't in Aquila where the bed rest times are stupidly long. Also, a miracle right now costs me 50,000 gold for each companion. Like really I like the concept but the're going overboard with the times. They should make the time for a bed rest 1-60 minutes. This is causing me to play less of the game and be forced to pay for more membership so they can get more money. That's probably what this whole thing is about. I mean an hour tops is fine by me but several hours is where I get mad. I mean I'm a flexible person I listen people's ideas and understand them but when an idea is so bad that's the point where I have to step in. Do you like the new system or the old one? Because I'm pretty sure anyone with common sense would think the old one is better and plus the game forced you to level up companions in the last update because the companions would be selected randomly. Like I don't know what world you're on or where you are at the game but it's probably somewhere between skull island and Mooshu because the times there are acceptable and not down right crazy like the ones in Aquila. Maybe you just like starting fights but I down right don't care. Maybe you're a new player I get that but I don't think you are and I just think you didn't know what the old system was.

Ensign
Mar 12, 2009
anecorbie on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
"Miracles aren't cheap".
And plus when you're in Aquila and there's no one in the dungeons to help you because nobody's on team up your companions die there's no question about it

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
sean0304 on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
Well first off the Scrapper talent only takes of about 10- 40% of the time and forces you to get this talent instead of the fighting talents which causes companions to die even more and clearly you aren't in Aquila where the bed rest times are stupidly long. Also, a miracle right now costs me 50,000 gold for each companion. Like really I like the concept but the're going overboard with the times. They should make the time for a bed rest 1-60 minutes. This is causing me to play less of the game and be forced to pay for more membership so they can get more money. That's probably what this whole thing is about. I mean an hour tops is fine by me but several hours is where I get mad. I mean I'm a flexible person I listen people's ideas and understand them but when an idea is so bad that's the point where I have to step in. Do you like the new system or the old one? Because I'm pretty sure anyone with common sense would think the old one is better and plus the game forced you to level up companions in the last update because the companions would be selected randomly. Like I don't know what world you're on or where you are at the game but it's probably somewhere between skull island and Mooshu because the times there are acceptable and not down right crazy like the ones in Aquila. Maybe you just like starting fights but I down right don't care. Maybe you're a new player I get that but I don't think you are and I just think you didn't know what the old system was.
I'm max level, my friend, and although my main character went through AQ under the old system, I had created a new character after the new addition went in. I've played under both systems and the old way was much harder
to level and train. I hated benching; having three companions do absolutely nothing?
Now for this unfair attack on KI bringing Advanced Companions as a "money maker" - just how do they make money from this? You accuse them of 'forcing' you to play less? You decide what you do, no one is forcing you to do anything.This system is so much easier in leveling and training companions that I actually prefer this to the old way.
If Scrapper takes 40% off the time, then that's how I train my favorites, especially at times when a certain talent isn't available ( ex: dodge or agility for Sarah Steele ), I don't need to train her in rough or tough because basically her dodge protects her and her agility does the damage, But Scrapper means I can get my companion back quicker? Heck, yeah, I'm gonna train it!
Please forgive my unfortunate attempt at humor.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I really liked the original, random companion system. I LOVED the fact that I never really knew who was going to show up for the battle, so if I got a second-pager it was pretty nail-biting as to whether I'd win or not. If I didn't then the Life Fountain was a quick heal for everybody who got their butts kicked. But, I get that not everybody was happy back then -- a lot of people were looking for more control over their crew. They wanted to be able to use the same-old, tried-and-true team over and over and over and over....

But, I digress. With the new system, I can still have my random crew (Yay!) and others can have their favorites show up time and time again. However, there's no such thing as a free lunch, ya know! We lost the healing at the Life Fountain and we gained Miracle Mitch. I think it was overall a very good compromise to make MOST players happy.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014

Sincerely,

Now, that I have a bunch of maxed and over maxed companions, I am not to bothered by this feature, though I will agree wight the waiting times, they are insane, most players don't have time like this, and if they do, they probably don't have enough gold either. From 20 to 40 minutes to an hour, is fine maybe even 2, but anything further than that is to much.

Catherine Reade- Lvl 65
Erica Reade- Lvl 27

Petty Officer
Jan 31, 2013
I've been here since the beginning, so I know both the old way and the new way. In the old system I used every companion I gained. I trained all of my companions because I loved how my crew showed up randomly, except for my favorite first mate.

In the new system, I set my companions to all random and continue to train them all. I don't like the scrapper talent because I'd rather spend the point for it for something else; shields, accuracy, dodge, and power.

So in both versions, I played the game how they want you to. Use your whole crew, and keep them leveled. Only now when they die because they were gained up on, killed as they retreated, broken through the shields, no heals, etc I have to wait hours for them to come back again. I don't worry about it on my main character because she's maxed but on my lower characters it's not fun when half the crew goes down or more. When that happens, I just log off for the day.

Do I enjoy this? Heck no! I have a limited amount of time to play the game and I would love to be able to play with no crew bed rest restrictions. Also, yes I do have a character made for each class in various spots. I could just switch over to them but there are times where I just want to play the stronger character. I understand why they made bed rest, to have people use their crew. I always used my whole crew, so bed rest is more in the way than a help. However, this feature will probably never be changed so we just have to learn to live with it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
sean0304 on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
Why I believe Advanced Companions is a superior system than the old system:
1. Under the old system there was no consequence to poor planning / bad tactics or a careless play style. If a favorite companion was defeated ( remember the little ghost icon? ) a quick trip to a Life Fountain or use of a mojo potion and the companion was back in the game. Players were using companions like disposable tissues.
Now with wounding and bed-rest we must develop better tactics and care about our crew, we must become better captains.
Advanced Companions allows us to explore the possibilities of companions we've ignored or passed over.
2. Under the old style companions we could only bench 3 companions - this made them unable to enter battle but also made them useless. The old % meant there was still a chance for an untrained and under leveled companion to join battle. Advanced Companions allows us to put any companion we don't want to see in battle on a task which makes them useful to us: they can gain their own experience, get gold and gear or pet snacks for us.
3. Under the old style I was perpetually in poverty, always buying tomes for my hungry crew and as my crew grew bigger the more tomes I had to buy; this became more and more difficult as I gained levels. In AQ and at max level tomes cost over 8,000 gold! This left me with a dilemma - save gold for tomes or buy a needed ship up grade? What about an up grade in gear for myself? What about housing?
With Advanced Companions, I can send crew out to get gold, gear or pet gear & snacks and I can then sell the surplus for more gold. If I recruit a companion, they are automatically higher in level than myself - so they can furnish me with tomes by keel-haulin'.
4. Extra talents that actually help you in more than battle have been put into the game, KI developers knew that the bed- rest times would get longer, why do you suppose that Scrapper was implemented? To make crew weaker? No, so you can get them back faster.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Sincerely,

More 'complex' systems yield better strategies & crew management. To fully implement all of the goodies that Advanced Companions 'has the potential to offer' (not all are going to take full advantage), it seems fitting that there is some form of 'penalty' that must accompany the goodness.

When Bed Rest wriggled it's way into my crew's life, I already had a pretty decent understanding of 'how not to lose crew members in PvE battle'. So, during normal- storyline play & advancement, Bed Rest had no affect on my pirate or crew. Taking care of them, proper training & learning the system = no, or very few, in-battle crew member losses. For this reason, as Captain Rosethorn noted, the Scrapper Talent also was of no use to me. But, I don't get much time for multiple runs at The Tower or The Arena-- so I don't have to worry about potentially wiping out 1/2 of my crew in a single day. With limited time, if I get a chance to run those dungeons I just wait until before my own bed rest & let my lost comrades heal up over night. So, again Scrapper is of no use to me & I'd rather use that point for another, more valuable talent. But I can see it being somewhat valuable to those w/ more time to play & potentially lose more companions. So it is there if you need it.

My opinion is that Advanced Companions was implemented to give us more options to make us think, make being a Captain a more hands-on approach & provide us a more complete gaming experience. When KI added Bed Rest, they also gave us the means to help overcome it. As Esperanza noted, the new system brought increased gold flow from tasks, selling of items from tasks & from The Tower itself. With pets bringing in pet gear to sell, I can easily 'revive' 2-3 max level companions in 1 day, with almost no effort & time involvement. At max, hitting 30-50k from chest farming can only take about 10 mins. (w/ friends on, or 2 accounts). So, you lose a hard hitter, take 10 mins., get the gold & be blessed by A Miracle.

(cont.....)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Sincerely,

(...from cont.)

We all have the means to keep our crew alive & to also rake in the dough to revive them, if we take advantage of what KI gave us. Or we can just give our other comrades a taste of glory.

One other thing is that Bed Rest is a great 'MMO feature' for P101. It's a perfect way to bring more pirates together. Let's face it, you lose less companions, per pirate crew, with the more Captains there are working together. So, much of what has been added-- Group Plunder, Bed Rest, Pet Morphing & Sparring, The Tower & Arena & others-- was done so to do what every great MMO should be trying to accomplish...bringing players together to enrich their MMO gaming experience. By implementing these features & systems, they have done an admiral job of making the game flow more as a fun & interactive MMO & less of a console game without friends & team tactics.

Even though P101 has great 'solo-abilityness', it is still an MMO and a game meant to be experienced with friends and KI needs to keep that MMO Mojo alive, in order to keep their splendid vessel afloat. All of their features and systems are designed to give us a better solo gaming experience, but at the same time give us pirates a more enriched MMO experience, as well.

Hmmm, another way to combat too many 'sleepy companions'...grab some friends & have a go at it!

Ensign
Mar 12, 2009
I'm not trying to get in a fight with anybody. I really like this new system but just make the times faster and miracle Mitch cost less. The thing is that I really am not bad at the game but the game is just hard when you're soloing everything in Aquila or when you wait for someone to join team up and when someone finally joins and they quit. This causes a lack of distrust in people and causes you to not join team up again. This causes someone like myself try to solo something causing almost all of my campanions to die. The only thing I'm asking is for KI to shorten the times to 1-60 minutes depending on where you are in the game.

Petty Officer
Jan 31, 2013
Actually, to be honest, I don't like anything about the advanced system except that I have the ability to have my crew be pure random. Even making it so my favorite first mate is no longer in every single battle.

Training? Meh, I keep my crew 5 levels under mine. Then 1 tome = 3 levels right away. That's cheaper than buying 3 tomes for the same effect and faster than brawler.

Gold? What do I need to buy? Gear? Get that from drops. Weapons? Bizarre or drops. Ships? Not really. Houses? With how much I hoard my gold that's easy.

Ship exp? I don't care to sink the ships nor do I care about scrip. Why should I bother with this then? If I'm boarded, fine. If I sink the ship also fine. Shipping fighting is hard for me because I'm colorblind and seeing the target range is difficult as is the ship's hp level. Chrissy the Blesser, helped me so much by showing me screenshots of the target range and I followed that but it's still not easy. So I'm just not bothered by it anymore.

Pet wrangling? I have never gotten a pet egg from that. The snacks are only nice when you're high leveled to get high leveled snacks. Gear is pointless as I've gotten way too many from drops, training, and from that. Do I like training pets? Loads more than I do in Wizard. I enjoy this feature but I don't go out of my way to use it. I don't morph my pets to get the perfect one. I just take what I get and move on.

So overall, I only send my crew out on tasks when I'm done for the day and when I remember to even do this. Loads of times I just log out without having my crew do anything while I'm gone. So when I get back I just jump back into the game again. Oh yeah, and I never benched my crew on the old system. I didn't like doing that to them as I wanted each and every one to show up in battle.

I do like how we can add our crew to our homes. I've done that to two to make it feel more life like and I have more than enough to not feel their loss. I do miss them in battle at times.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
To be honest it depend what talanet your companions have,as someone point out the scrapper talent will shorten the time amount of bed rest of our companions.However there is a disadvantage, your companion have to exchange a stat level for this talent.Bed rest is good, due to shorter amount of time required to heal.

The other way is the more traditional way, give your companion some great epics and train them well, close to your main character level. As well as some back up compainons with similar levels, it's longer but a lot more effective,in my opinon. Bed rest is bad takes longer to heal,unless gold is plenty to pay Mitch a service or have a tremendous( very high tolerance ) amount of patience to utilize the other companions.

In other words train long and hard or use the scrapper method but pay the penalty for faster healing.Like most factions pirates have to make a decision to see what is best. Bed rest in other words can go either way.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
sean0304 on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
I'm not trying to get in a fight with anybody. I really like this new system but just make the times faster and miracle Mitch cost less. The thing is that I really am not bad at the game but the game is just hard when you're soloing everything in Aquila or when you wait for someone to join team up and when someone finally joins and they quit. This causes a lack of distrust in people and causes you to not join team up again. This causes someone like myself try to solo something causing almost all of my campanions to die. The only thing I'm asking is for KI to shorten the times to 1-60 minutes depending on where you are in the game.
Why? Why should they make it cheaper for us to abuse our crews? Why should I not suffer consequences for the folly of waiting too long to heal my crew or telling the damaged member to stop fighting and beat a strategic retreat? Unless I'm running the Tower or playing in the Smuggler's Arena with Indigo, my crew don't tend to go down very easily. When they do I'm at fault; they're out of the game for a few hours and I'm forced to use my less favorite-ish crew (tending to be Cool Ranch crew). I know I've been a Very Poor Captain when I have to depend entirely on chickens and bison rather than a glorious mix of worlds. That's my punishment for being careless. KI shouldn't feel compelled to make things easier for me to avoid using crew I don't like as much.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009

Sincerely,

I know you don't want to hear the same things from me that everybody else has, so I'll try to find different points to make.

To me, I see the waiting times as a "guillotine" of sorts. It provides incentive not to play so aggressively with my companions, who will eventually die because of it. I personally loved the old system. There was little punishment to sacrificing companions to win the fight. Now, you have to wait a long time for them to be healed.

HOWEVER, as a result of the new system, I've become better at PvP. While that may not seem like a big deal since it's just a small part of the game, it's pretty much one of the only things to do now. I have nobody to do Smuggler's Arena with most of the time, I've farmed Moo Manchu for any of the drops I want, and I have a maxed wallet. With that money, I've purchased the Smuggler's Cove(mainly for wishing well, but it looks amazing!) I'm happy with where my companions stand. So now, one of the few things I can do is PvP. I know there's pet sparring, but I prefer having control of the action. In PvP, if you sacrifice a companion, you pay for it. It's not like the AI that has little sense of strategy. Another human being is playing the other team, and now has one up on you. When you lose a companion, it gives them the option to double team(or even triple team) one of your other companions, or you.

My point is, you learn to value companions like your life. I've used Valor's Shield more on my Nausica and as a result, she lives more. Even if a small heal means El Toro lives with 200 Health, he'll be fully healed for the next match ahead, and you don't have to pay arm + leg to revive your him from Mitch.

I honestly don't have Scrapper, and as Anecorbie has said on another board in the past, it'll likely pay off when there's a new world. But if you play right, you don't have to worry too much about fallen companions. You'll lose a few, but that's just life.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Earlier you pointed out that Mitch costs around 50,000 gold. The only way this is possible is if you have let them die multiple times. Anyway I made a post similar to this when I got back into pirate101. I got basically the same response you did, and frankly after playing the game for a while after that, I prefer the new system. If you level up multiple companions for each spot on your team, you should not have a problem. I rushed through Aquila when I finally got there, and didn't have any problem with dying companions (excluding with the hydra). Also you said in one of your posts that "you are forced to buy more membership" because of this. I don't really know what to say to beyond that, I don't agree with you, and that crowns are your friend when it comes to that kinda thing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
I know you don't want to hear the same things from me that everybody else has, so I'll try to find different points to make.

To me, I see the waiting times as a "guillotine" of sorts. It provides incentive not to play so aggressively with my companions, who will eventually die because of it. I personally loved the old system. There was little punishment to sacrificing companions to win the fight. Now, you have to wait a long time for them to be healed.

HOWEVER, as a result of the new system, I've become better at PvP. While that may not seem like a big deal since it's just a small part of the game, it's pretty much one of the only things to do now. I have nobody to do Smuggler's Arena with most of the time, I've farmed Moo Manchu for any of the drops I want, and I have a maxed wallet. With that money, I've purchased the Smuggler's Cove(mainly for wishing well, but it looks amazing!) I'm happy with where my companions stand. So now, one of the few things I can do is PvP. I know there's pet sparring, but I prefer having control of the action. In PvP, if you sacrifice a companion, you pay for it. It's not like the AI that has little sense of strategy. Another human being is playing the other team, and now has one up on you. When you lose a companion, it gives them the option to double team(or even triple team) one of your other companions, or you.

My point is, you learn to value companions like your life. I've used Valor's Shield more on my Nausica and as a result, she lives more. Even if a small heal means El Toro lives with 200 Health, he'll be fully healed for the next match ahead, and you don't have to pay arm + leg to revive your him from Mitch.

I honestly don't have Scrapper, and as Anecorbie has said on another board in the past, it'll likely pay off when there's a new world. But if you play right, you don't have to worry too much about fallen companions. You'll lose a few, but that's just life.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
I thought there was no penalty in pvp for defeated companions, have they changed this?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
A 60 minute wait time isn't going to get players to pay attention to crew loses, waiting one hour is not a big deal to many players here.
But more than 2 - 3 hours ah yes, that's when it starts to hurt, this is when we get posts like this one; look, just pay attention in battle, plan for loses by having a much as your crew as possible able to step in and take over should you lose a favorite crew member.
Even try different strategies with different crew. Even under the old system, I did this. If I was defeated in a dungeon, I looked at the crew I was using, I changed order, I used a different strategy instead of re-entering the dungeon and re-fighting with the same strategy with the inevitable same results.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Captain Rosethorn on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
Actually, to be honest, I don't like anything about the advanced system except that I have the ability to have my crew be pure random. Even making it so my favorite first mate is no longer in every single battle.

Training? Meh, I keep my crew 5 levels under mine. Then 1 tome = 3 levels right away. That's cheaper than buying 3 tomes for the same effect and faster than brawler.

Gold? What do I need to buy? Gear? Get that from drops. Weapons? Bizarre or drops. Ships? Not really. Houses? With how much I hoard my gold that's easy.

Ship exp? I don't care to sink the ships nor do I care about scrip. Why should I bother with this then? If I'm boarded, fine. If I sink the ship also fine. Shipping fighting is hard for me because I'm colorblind and seeing the target range is difficult as is the ship's hp level. Chrissy the Blesser, helped me so much by showing me screenshots of the target range and I followed that but it's still not easy. So I'm just not bothered by it anymore.

Pet wrangling? I have never gotten a pet egg from that. The snacks are only nice when you're high leveled to get high leveled snacks. Gear is pointless as I've gotten way too many from drops, training, and from that. Do I like training pets? Loads more than I do in Wizard. I enjoy this feature but I don't go out of my way to use it. I don't morph my pets to get the perfect one. I just take what I get and move on.

So overall, I only send my crew out on tasks when I'm done for the day and when I remember to even do this. Loads of times I just log out without having my crew do anything while I'm gone. So when I get back I just jump back into the game again. Oh yeah, and I never benched my crew on the old system. I didn't like doing that to them as I wanted each and every one to show up in battle.

I do like how we can add our crew to our homes. I've done that to two to make it feel more life like and I have more than enough to not feel their loss. I do miss them in battle at times.
Your post brings out, whether intending to or not, the greatest argument/debate for supporting Advanced Companions. Simply put-- it gives us the option to enjoy the game as we choose. I love pizza & college football, so I need as many options as possible (sorry, bad attempt at humor).

But you bring up the point that you can play the game, in regards to the AC system, the way you wish to...without using any of the options of the system. Meanwhile Johnny Pirate & his band of buccaneers can use a couple of options/benefits that they deem advantageous. And over here we have Gertrude Pirate & her swarm of swashbucklers that can choose to take full advantage of every aspect/option of the AC system. Johnny & Gertie are happy & you get to play the game in a way that best accommodates your wants. That's the great thing about options...they are optional! And can be left alone or used in-full or just picked through by each individual to enhance their own gaming experience.

Now Bed Rest, well yes that is not optional at all...or is it? Well, kind of sort of & to a degree. The better a player learns to adapt & learn strategy & take care of crew, the less opportunities for his/her crew to take a nap. Take on the Tower & Arena with a full group & lessen your chance of higher numbers of crew on Bed Rest. So, there are ways to use 'options' to help with that.

All in all, you provided a great message to players, even without meaning to-- Advanced Companions is a pretty decent system. Assign crew tasks..or don't. Scrap, Scavenge, Plunder, Wrangle..or choose not to. Gain extra Companion & Naut. XP & tomes..or don't. Set crew to whichever battle order you choose. The system gives us the opportunity to do none of these, all of these or a plethora of choices in the middle.

Bed Rest is the only aspect of the new system that really raises questions, concerns & even praises. And it's great for KI to see what players feel & think.

Well good luck Captain Rosethorn...and Johnny & Gertrude!

Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
Man, so many people complain about this year old update! I personally had this update strike when I was in the very beginning of Mooshu, when the game gets much harder. This update, if anything helped (well, once the bugs got worked out) because now I could use my best companions for these new nearly impossible enemies. I only had to adjust my playing style to have strategy, now that I could count on my companions being there and knowing how to work their abilities together. And if one or two or all three were beaten, I could still use my secondary companions, which worked just as well if you chose the right ones and kept them leveled. If one got low health, I moved them away from combat, and moved higher health companions closer. I healed, I fought, and the occasional loss barely set me back. I had no trouble with bed rest, and now even going through the Tower, I still only lose around one companion towards those pesky terracotta warriors. This update simply allows for a more realistic playing experience than back when you could just click a fountain and have no trouble or repercussions for being an nonstrategic player. Just work with it and adjust your playing style and you should be fine.

Clever Sam Jones