Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to properly train privateer companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 16, 2015
So the other day I was working on my new privy, he just got lucky jack russel. I was giving jack new talents and I gave him: rough, tough, and then will. I noticed the will didn't increase his base damage (thought it would since he is a privy). So I reset his points and did the same thing except I gave him strength. And it still didn't increase his base damage. Does anyone know what talent I can give him to fix this problem? Or what talents should I be giving to my privateer companions?

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
OfficerBlu on Mar 19, 2015 wrote:
So the other day I was working on my new privy, he just got lucky jack russel. I was giving jack new talents and I gave him: rough, tough, and then will. I noticed the will didn't increase his base damage (thought it would since he is a privy). So I reset his points and did the same thing except I gave him strength. And it still didn't increase his base damage. Does anyone know what talent I can give him to fix this problem? Or what talents should I be giving to my privateer companions?
There are 4 ranks of each talent. Each rank of a talent adds up to the previous. You'd have to give him more Will as in the next time you give him a talent; it should show you Will rank 2. Thing is that his total Will should be of the roots of 5 in order for his damage to be increased. Every 5 points of Will are converted to 1% of damage. Check his stats; if his Will is.. say, 90, and it becomes 93 after you give him a Will talent; his damage won't be increased until his overall reaches 95 Will points. It's a continuous progress.

Best luck!!

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
The only privateer companion training is max level in my case, i give mine rough 4, tough 4, will4, and then the final one depends on the companion, for sergeant shepherd (jack crown variant) I gave armor rank 4 and he is amazing.

Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
Will does boost the base damage of a Privateer companion. However, you need a certain amount of Will before it actually affects his damage(I believe every 5 points of Will grants +5% more damage). So if you only train the Will boost once, it won't affect his damage. Honestly, Privateers aren't the biggest damage dealers anyway.(We leave that up to the Swashbucklers)
As for talents, try to boost Will, Health, and Armor/Magic Resist.(I'd suggest boosting the lower of the two to balance it out better) You may want to try to fit some Roughs in there to boost weapon power, and some Dodgy, Accurate boosts depending on epics.(Dodgy maybe for Riposte, and Accurate for Relentless or such.)

Hope I helped!

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Strength, Agility, and Will don't increase companions' base damages, they increase their Strength/Agility/Will bonus displayed on the bottom of the weapon power popup. You were right to give him Will.