Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Sinking Ships for Scrip

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I decided to see how much Scrip we can get sinking ships and I am wondering if the drop rates are broken. I sunk 35 ships in aquila and never got a one. Are the drop rates really THAT rare? If so, there are going to be some really frustrated pirates out there.
I was not impressed with the whole, "Lets just relentlessly beat up on you and your crew without letup to heal until you squeal like a little girl and surrender" thing and ADORE sinking ships so I thought KEWL and went off to litter the skyways and I am no richer. Bug

Community Leader
two or so hours today Only script we got was 8 script from the Mooshu boss ship Timur?

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I finally got 9 scrip from the Mooshu boss Timur Khan but it took around 30 boss sinks in several skyways to get that one. Still no others at this point.

Developer
Have you guys tried joining up into farming parties?

Community Leader
There was 3 of us. So kind of We got the mooshu drop. I really do like the idea of the script, I just think we need a better way to acquire it or a better drop rate.

Owner of Paige's Page Perilous Paige. "Honorary Black Cat of the entire Pirate 101 Fleet"
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
Have you guys tried joining up into farming parties?
Yup been doing a three one today and still just the one drop in Mooshu. Nothing at all in Aquila and we focused mainly on bosses. One player said they got a drop of 1 scrip from an Aquila ship.
So............9 from one boss in Mooshu and 1 from a ship in Aquila after three hours of sinking? Something is broken here. Plus the 35 Aquila ships from last night with no drops.
We even did the Turret and got no scrip.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
We did team up I got 3 and that's it. Did you read our other suggestions too? Some good ideas brewing.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
If it's based on how many are in the group. Let's have a ship sinking party and get as many people as we can and see if we get more. We are all in this together.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I managed 4 scrip in about an hour and a half yesterday. 2 in Monquista from El Sombrero Amarillo, and 2 more from a random Banditoad ship in Cooper's Roost Skyway. I sank 44 more ships after that in Cooper's Roost, Santo Pollo Skyway and eventually the Haunted Skyway with zero more scrip, then I had to leave for a meeting.

Granted, this was solo, not in a "wolf pack," but my Level 65 character was beating those lower level ships pretty fast.

Developer
Next Test Realm patch (soon!) will have a greatly increased drop rate on ships:

• Regular mobs, the drop rate is much higher, but you'll still need to shoot a lot of them down. I highly recommend Ye Olde Nautical Partye if your goal is to hunt regular ships and earn scrip "fast."The drop rate isn't based on how many people are in your group, but with more people you will sink them faster-- anybody who helps defeat a ship gets rewards from the loot crate-- it's not divided up or anything like that.
  • Boss ships... much better drop rate. I wouldn't hunt them exclusively, but I wouldn't pass one by, either.
  • Towers will always drop some scrip. What would the Armada be doing with scrip? Are they sinking pirate ships and taking their scrip? What for...?
  • Higher level ships DO drop more scrip-- but it might be more efficient to hunt lower level ships, yes? If I had a L65 galleon I'd personally hunt in Mooshu, maybe with just one friend to make it even faster. That's still relatively "casual" play.
  • Last but not least, please realize that the drop rate of scrip is slow by design. We know it's hard to come by. We don't expect you to buy up everything on the Black Market as soon as Live hits. I think our Art team did an amazing job stocking the Black Market, and I think there's a lot of cool stuff in there worth saving for. (And more on the way, you can be sure!)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Ratbeard on Nov 21, 2014 wrote:

• Regular mobs, the drop rate is much higher, but you'll still need to shoot a lot of them down. I highly recommend Ye Olde Nautical Partye if your goal is to hunt regular ships and earn scrip "fast."The drop rate isn't based on how many people are in your group, but with more people you will sink them faster-- anybody who helps defeat a ship gets rewards from the loot crate-- it's not divided up or anything like that.
  • Boss ships... much better drop rate. I wouldn't hunt them exclusively, but I wouldn't pass one by, either.
  • Towers will always drop some scrip. What would the Armada be doing with scrip? Are they sinking pirate ships and taking their scrip? What for...?
  • Higher level ships DO drop more scrip-- but it might be more efficient to hunt lower level ships, yes? If I had a L65 galleon I'd personally hunt in Mooshu, maybe with just one friend to make it even faster. That's still relatively "casual" play.
  • Last but not least, please realize that the drop rate of scrip is slow by design. We know it's hard to come by. We don't expect you to buy up everything on the Black Market as soon as Live hits. I think our Art team did an amazing job stocking the Black Market, and I think there's a lot of cool stuff in there worth saving for. (And more on the way, you can be sure!)
When you say "towers" do you mean "turrets?"

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Ratbeard on Nov 21, 2014 wrote:

Ratbeard, I don't think you realize the major problem with Scrip. I completely understand what you intended, but this is just not the way to go about it. First off, I do not believe a new currency was exactly necessary, and it seems I am not alone. Several people on the boards agree with me, and, I'm not sure how often you check Central's forums, but they do not seem very keen on it either. Due to the limited ways to obtain scrip, and it's ridiculously low drop quantity and rate, It just seems impractical. If I were to go through the gauntlet, and receive 150 scrip average per run, and repeat this method once a day, it would take me 500 days to get the captain's quarters, 40 to get any of the outfits, and 80 to get a standard. There is a fine line between getting rewarded for hard work, and just having something handed to you. It has to be difficult to get, but not too difficult, or the reward is not worth the effort. This is the equivalent of putting a 1 billion dollar credit card on the moon. Sure, it's achievable, and sure, it's a great reward, but the time and effort to get it is just not reasonable. I agree, the amount of scrip rewarded should be scarce, but not to the point where I'm saving up only limestone pebbles to buy a mansion. The quantity rewarded should be increased, and/or the methods of obtaining scrip should be more numerous. And this is assuming that scrip is even what we need.
Many long time players on central say that this is entirely unnecessary, and some have even gone to the point of saying that they will not renew their subscription. Scrip adds a level of convolution that was the least bit insulting to the players. Now, to get the new items, we must either grind an excess amount of ships, with drop rates as low as death valley, or complete a very difficult dungeon, that gives the equivalent of a penny in payout for the new items, which is on a schedule, so its back to ships we go! There is no exception to this, and I would even accept crowns as an alternative method of payment! Besides, I'm not sure you get that we think this way. In another thread, when someone asked, "Do we need another currency?", you blatantly responded, "Yes." with no accompanying reason. The player base never asked for this, and forcing it upon us with no alternative isn't very considerate of your fans. Before adding new levels of complexity to a game, I believe that either subtly asking the players about it, or adding a major accompanying feature (cough cough book XV still isn't out in 1.5 years cough cough) to distract from it, just in case the players don't like it. I mean this in no way to be disrespectful or inconsiderate, but you need to pay attention to what the players ask for before giving them a mystery box, when the thing they want was in the same isle of your local toy store. just something to think about. (Please don't hate me).

F.R. Holystone
lv 65

Developer
Elemutation on Nov 21, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard, I don't think you realize the major problem with Scrip. I completely understand what you intended, but this is just not the way to go about it. First off, I do not believe a new currency was exactly necessary, and it seems I am not alone. Several people on the boards agree with me, and, I'm not sure how often you check Central's forums, but they do not seem very keen on it either. Due to the limited ways to obtain scrip, and it's ridiculously low drop quantity and rate, It just seems impractical. If I were to go through the gauntlet, and receive 150 scrip average per run, and repeat this method once a day, it would take me 500 days to get the captain's quarters, 40 to get any of the outfits, and 80 to get a standard. There is a fine line between getting rewarded for hard work, and just having something handed to you. It has to be difficult to get, but not too difficult, or the reward is not worth the effort. This is the equivalent of putting a 1 billion dollar credit card on the moon. Sure, it's achievable, and sure, it's a great reward, but the time and effort to get it is just not reasonable. I agree, the amount of scrip rewarded should be scarce, but not to the point where I'm saving up only limestone pebbles to buy a mansion. The quantity rewarded should be increased, and/or the methods of obtaining scrip should be more numerous. And this is assuming that scrip is even what we need.
Many long time players on central say that this is entirely unnecessary, and some have even gone to the point of saying that they will not renew their subscription. Scrip adds a level of convolution that was the least bit insulting to the players. Now, to get the new items, we must either grind an excess amount of ships, with drop rates as low as death valley, or complete a very difficult dungeon, that gives the equivalent of a penny in payout for the new items, which is on a schedule, so its back to ships we go! There is no exception to this, and I would even accept crowns as an alternative method of payment! Besides, I'm not sure you get that we think this way. In another thread, when someone asked, "Do we need another currency?", you blatantly responded, "Yes." with no accompanying reason. The player base never asked for this, and forcing it upon us with no alternative isn't very considerate of your fans. Before adding new levels of complexity to a game, I believe that either subtly asking the players about it, or adding a major accompanying feature (cough cough book XV still isn't out in 1.5 years cough cough) to distract from it, just in case the players don't like it. I mean this in no way to be disrespectful or inconsiderate, but you need to pay attention to what the players ask for before giving them a mystery box, when the thing they want was in the same isle of your local toy store. just something to think about. (Please don't hate me).

F.R. Holystone
lv 65
I'm not sure how often you check Central's forums

Every day! Multiple times a day! Especially when there's a Test Realm active.

I read it so often, that it sometimes becomes difficult to remember that the people who post on Central do not make up our entire player base, and that we have millions of other players to think about, all with very different wants and needs.

We even have to consider players who just joined yesterday, or today, or who might join tomorrow.

It just seems impractical. If I were to go through the gauntlet, and receive 150 scrip average per run, and repeat this method once a day, it would take me 500 days to get the captain's quarters

That does seem impractical. This should be your first indication that we really don't intend for the Arena to be your only, or even your primary source for scrips.

It might also be an indication that we wanted that Cabin to seem impossibly far away... like unto a "billion dollar credit card on the moon," to borrow a phrase.

But, you never know. That's why we call it the Test Realm, after all.

Besides, I'm not sure you get that we think this way.

No, of course not... A Day One Test Realm Freakout comes as a complete shock to me. That has literally never happened before.

you need to pay attention to what the players ask for

As always.

(Please don't hate me).

Of course not. See above regarding the increase in the ship drop rates, and feel free to provide more feedback.

Community Leader
Ratbeard Thank you so much. I'm getting 4-12 scrip drop and I feel that I'm working towards something. Might not be every ship battle but I am really happy with the scrip is dropping. Turrets are fun ;)

Question:" the farther away from Skull Island (the Black Market hub) you go, the more Scrip you are likely to find."

Does this mean amounts or dropping more often?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Elemutation on Nov 21, 2014 wrote:

F.R. Holystone
lv 65
"The player base never asked for this, and forcing it upon us with no alternative isn't very considerate of your fans."

Just a few questions, who's forcing whom? Aren't Scrip & obtaining them an option for the player? Are they needed to progress throughout the game (perhaps in the future...maybe, but not at the present)? Is the new gear & items 'purchased' from Scrip a progression necessity or more merely a want? Where is the forcing, if indeed it is an optional feature?

For those who decide to hunt down the cunning, almighty & elusive Scrip, that is their decision to do so, but players by no means have to do so...or at least that is how it appears at current. To Scrip or not to Scrip-- that is the question, & we can choose to answer how we seem fit. Most of what the players complain vehemently about are merely options in this game that are not needed to progress-- & options can be avoided or ignored or simply merely left out of the equation.

What gets me the most is when longtime players complain as if they are the only voice in the choir & give no thought to other players & future players. As Ratbeard alluded to, this game isn't just about you, me, the players on Central, the players here on the boards-- it's about the P101 population as a whole. In my opinion, this game will not continue to exist in the future if Ratbeard & KI only listen to the 'local voices'-- it has to reach the masses as well. P101 will only grow & stick around if it is continued to be polished to provide more engaging depth & detail to entice future players to join the crew. I am completely excited for new members & those who have never swabbed the decks in the Spiral, as of yet. As much as I loved the state of the game upon first becoming a member, I sure wish that in the very beginning it had the level of detail & depth provided by all of these recent updates.

Good thing is, I can always YoHoHo! a low level pirate & experience all of the new goodness from the very first moment on. I love a more complex game with many different facets to immerse myself in, but many do not. Great thing is that most of what has been added in recent updates is entirely & purely optional content. Advanced pets- Optional. Companion Tasking- Optional. Scrip & Black Market- Optional. Stitching- Optional. Group Plunder- Optional. Doubloons- Optional. Tower of Moo- Optional. Team Up- Optional. The point is, is that you can still just about play the game & the storyline in the same manner as before all of these updates came into play. PvP seems to be the most affected aspect of the game via the recent updates, since most PvP diehards do view elite gear as a necessity, as opposed to an option. All the new updates do are just provide a greater variety, more detail & more options for players to choose how they wish to experience the game & the story. That completely contradicts your stating that Ratbeard & KI are forcing our hands...they are giving us more hands to do more things, if we so choose.

Ensign
Feb 08, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Nov 22, 2014 wrote:
"The player base never asked for this, and forcing it upon us with no alternative isn't very considerate of your fans."

Just a few questions, who's forcing whom? Aren't Scrip & obtaining them an option for the player? Are they needed to progress throughout the game (perhaps in the future...maybe, but not at the present)? Is the new gear & items 'purchased' from Scrip a progression necessity or more merely a want? Where is the forcing, if indeed it is an optional feature?

For those who decide to hunt down the cunning, almighty & elusive Scrip, that is their decision to do so, but players by no means have to do so...or at least that is how it appears at current. To Scrip or not to Scrip-- that is the question, & we can choose to answer how we seem fit. Most of what the players complain vehemently about are merely options in this game that are not needed to progress-- & options can be avoided or ignored or simply merely left out of the equation.

What gets me the most is when longtime players complain as if they are the only voice in the choir & give no thought to other players & future players. As Ratbeard alluded to, this game isn't just about you, me, the players on Central, the players here on the boards-- it's about the P101 population as a whole. In my opinion, this game will not continue to exist in the future if Ratbeard & KI only listen to the 'local voices'-- it has to reach the masses as well. P101 will only grow & stick around if it is continued to be polished to provide more engaging depth & detail to entice future players to join the crew. I am completely excited for new members & those who have never swabbed the decks in the Spiral, as of yet. As much as I loved the state of the game upon first becoming a member, I sure wish that in the very beginning it had the level of detail & depth provided by all of these recent updates.

Good thing is, I can always YoHoHo! a low level pirate & experience all of the new goodness from the very first moment on. I love a more complex game with many different facets to immerse myself in, but many do not. Great thing is that most of what has been added in recent updates is entirely & purely optional content. Advanced pets- Optional. Companion Tasking- Optional. Scrip & Black Market- Optional. Stitching- Optional. Group Plunder- Optional. Doubloons- Optional. Tower of Moo- Optional. Team Up- Optional. The point is, is that you can still just about play the game & the storyline in the same manner as before all of these updates came into play. PvP seems to be the most affected aspect of the game via the recent updates, since most PvP diehards do view elite gear as a necessity, as opposed to an option. All the new updates do are just provide a greater variety, more detail & more options for players to choose how they wish to experience the game & the story. That completely contradicts your stating that Ratbeard & KI are forcing our hands...they are giving us more hands to do more things, if we so choose.
Ugh, I hate when people take that "You're not being forced its optional" thing, its so annoying. It being optional has no meaning in this situation whatsoever. The problem here is that a lot of the updates that we've been getting as substitutes instead of the next chapter have made a lot of players restless, of course people are going to complain. The forums are there so that you can let your voice be heard right? It's the same concept as voting really, saying things like "You might think this, and he/she might think this, but guess what you aren't the entire player base." is just a cop out. The problem isn't only that this new scrip system is somewhat broken, the problem is that we keep getting updates and changes that make the game more and more time consuming, but not giving us content to spend time playing. Of course I don't speak for the entire player base, this is my opinion, but its based on facts. The updates we've been getting since the Marleybone and Aquila release have been rubbing me and I'm sure a lot of other players the wrong way. Combat changes were made that didn't make much sense, the changes to bladestorm and its counterparts, and the confusing changes to critical hits are examples. Advanced pets would have made more of an impact and been more relevant if they had come after a new world to explore because be honest, spending all that time raising and hatching pets without new enemies to use them on isn't all that fun. You could say that they'd be used in PvP, but that isn't ranked yet and is really unbalanced. Of course you can say, "Its optional", but that isn't the issue. A lot of players wantedto enjoy it, but the timing of its release was just bad. The changes to companions also seemed unnecessary, I didn't see anyone complaining about the system but for some reason out of the blue we get recovery times whenever they get defeated, with new options of being spend your gold or use them with significantly lowered health, making mojo potions pretty pointless if you ask me. Everything wasn't bad though, companion tasking, stitching, group plunder and even doubloons were pretty cool additions. Tower of Moo in my opinion would have been great, a challenging tower that drops gear that we can get to prepare for the next world or for pvp? I think thats great! The problem is that it came after we got the companion update, the injured companions makes grinding that much more exhausting and even discourages it to be honest. Unlike wizard, pirate has been trying to give alternative options to questing without furthering the story for what, a year and a half? I can't comprehend how anyone can defend that, I really can't.

Commodore
May 31, 2009

Very well said, Valkoor.

KI does its very best to give everyone a wonderful gaming experience and these new updates will give even more depth to the Pirate101 world. Even though I don't foresee myself using the Black Market much, it is still a great addition to the game and one that I hope will expand a bit. It isn't being "forced on us", it is an addition that Ratbeard and the other developers thought fun and perhaps necessary. As Valkoor pointed out, many of the new goodies the past few updates have given us are completely optional. I don't see why anyone would complain about something that, if they chose to not use that feature, wouldn't affect them at all. I'm perfectly happy with these updates and can't wait for them to go live.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Brilliantly spoken *Gives standing ovation*

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks for ships dropping more Scrip now KingsIsle!!! I can't wait for the update to go to live and start fully decorating my houses and work my way to getting the Deluxe Cabin!!!

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009

What I meant by being forced to get scrip with no alternative, is that there is no gold or crowns to scrip transfer ratio, and the presented methods of obtaining scrip are the only ones we can use to obtain the newer items. If you want to argue that It's fully optional than go right ahead, but if we want to we can say that playing the game itself is optional, and you can ignore it whenever the opportunity presents itself. Just about everything in life is optional, down to breathing, yet you still want to continue doing so. "Optional" is a term that you refer to so loosely, that this is just becoming semantics. What I have a problem with is that the optional content we are presented is very difficult to take advantage of. This is incredibly apparent when players state that this update alone warrants quiting the game, and for a very particular reason. This update is not what we asked for. Ever since the large summer update, we've seen test come and go with the hopes of book XV, and having it be neglected in favor of an unwanted currency system that takes up an excess amount of time, and has caused almost an outrage.

You can also argue that my opinions are unfounded due to the fact that I do not consider every player out there, but considering every player out there is flawed on its own. I do not share the opinions of everyone who plays this game, and even if I did, I would likely defend my claims in a different way than them. I can only speak for those who are the "local voices," because they're the only ones who speak up! If you want me to consider the masses, then the masses should display their own thoughts, either here or on central. I hear people complain about the state of the world who refuse to vote in elections. Don't complain about something when you're ignoring your opportunity to help it. I am unable to speak for an unspoken voice, unless they voice their own thoughts.

Also, saying that adding in more functions adds more depth is a double edged sword. There are systems that can add in a certain amount of depth, but when too many of these systems exist, it isn't depth and complexity, just a lack of focus. Adding in a new system here and there that is polished, balanced, and has real incentive to the player is great, but when every update contains a new system, it just screams convoluted. Look at wiz's fishing. Everyone I know considers it a waste of time with no reasonable payout. Not worth it. BUT, of course there is going to be that one niche group that finds it worth while. Catering to niche groups is fine on occasion, but the majority should be considered beforehand. Adding in focused, requested elements like a new book should go before the new systems, only because pleasing the majority has, historically at least, always worked out best. Imagine a giant plate with every food known to man on it. sure, a good chunk of the stuff there is great, but there is a lot of unsavory parts that you wish was just left in the kitchen.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Wolf S Ire on Nov 22, 2014 wrote:
Ugh, I hate when people take that "You're not being forced its optional" thing, its so annoying. It being optional has no meaning in this situation whatsoever. The problem here is that a lot of the updates that we've been getting as substitutes instead of the next chapter have made a lot of players restless, of course people are going to complain. The forums are there so that you can let your voice be heard right? It's the same concept as voting really, saying things like "You might think this, and he/she might think this, but guess what you aren't the entire player base." is just a cop out. The problem isn't only that this new scrip system is somewhat broken, the problem is that we keep getting updates and changes that make the game more and more time consuming, but not giving us content to spend time playing. Of course I don't speak for the entire player base, this is my opinion, but its based on facts. The updates we've been getting since the Marleybone and Aquila release have been rubbing me and I'm sure a lot of other players the wrong way. Combat changes were made that didn't make much sense, the changes to bladestorm and its counterparts, and the confusing changes to critical hits are examples. Advanced pets would have made more of an impact and been more relevant if they had come after a new world to explore because be honest, spending all that time raising and hatching pets without new enemies to use them on isn't all that fun. You could say that they'd be used in PvP, but that isn't ranked yet and is really unbalanced. Of course you can say, "Its optional", but that isn't the issue. A lot of players wantedto enjoy it, but the timing of its release was just bad. The changes to companions also seemed unnecessary, I didn't see anyone complaining about the system but for some reason out of the blue we get recovery times whenever they get defeated, with new options of being spend your gold or use them with significantly lowered health, making mojo potions pretty pointless if you ask me. Everything wasn't bad though, companion tasking, stitching, group plunder and even doubloons were pretty cool additions. Tower of Moo in my opinion would have been great, a challenging tower that drops gear that we can get to prepare for the next world or for pvp? I think thats great! The problem is that it came after we got the companion update, the injured companions makes grinding that much more exhausting and even discourages it to be honest. Unlike wizard, pirate has been trying to give alternative options to questing without furthering the story for what, a year and a half? I can't comprehend how anyone can defend that, I really can't.
I completely get where you are coming from & fully appreciate & value your opinion & thoughts. But your post points exactly to what I was referring to & completely reinforces what I was trying to illustrate. The majority of what you stated could be summed up by something along these lines.

"Us maxed players are tired of waiting. Why do we have to suffer while new amazing content is added for new & future players. Where are our new worlds & content?-- who cares about making the game better, more detailed, more complete, more polished & more engaging for our fellow new players & for our replay value?"

Now this is 100% me paraphrasing, but this has been the message of so many maxed players. It really does not matter what the update is, what new systems & content is provided to us via all these updates, the message from these impatient players always comes across as "We are tired of waiting, KI should not be focused on the future of the game & future player interests....they should only be focusing on stifling our patience & catering to us maxed players' wants & wishes."

Where is the love for your fellow, future players?

And with all due respect, I disagree about the changes to combat not making sense, & implementing the Advanced Pet system before new worlds not making sense. In my opinion it is completely the other way around. To introduce new worlds with new, more difficult enemies, & then issue the combat changes & the Advanced Pet System would not make much sense. These pets have become ridiculously powerful & helpful in combat. What they grant our pirates in combat could be just what makes or breaks us against these possible new enemies & dungeons, in the new worlds on the horizon. To have to stumble through learning the Pet System, raising the pets to their glorious potential, learning new combat nuances all while possibly struggling in a new world with new, more difficult enemies would not be very desirable. By releasing the updates & changes first, KI is giving us a means to adapt & actually be prepared for what is to come in the new worlds & with new content. It doesn't make much sense to have to take weeks to build up a super pet after stepping foot into new lands with new enemies, when they could aid us from the very beginning.

Now we will be ready for what lies ahead. I personally, & I certainly don't speak for everyone, would rather have the tools to do the job first before I actually try to build on the story. You know the whole "Give a man a meal......Teach a man to fish" proverb. As frustrated & discouraged & impatient as some max players are, I can only imagine how they would react if they were presented with new worlds & enemies that were possibly ratcheted up in intensity & KI gave us nothing in advance to prepare us for it. To me with these updates they are giving us the tools, in advance, to make what is sure to be amazing new worlds, enemies & content, to make discovering these new worlds that much more enjoyable.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Elemutation on Nov 23, 2014 wrote:
What I meant by being forced to get scrip with no alternative, is that there is no gold or crowns to scrip transfer ratio, and the presented methods of obtaining scrip are the only ones we can use to obtain the newer items. If you want to argue that It's fully optional than go right ahead, but if we want to we can say that playing the game itself is optional, and you can ignore it whenever the opportunity presents itself. Just about everything in life is optional, down to breathing, yet you still want to continue doing so. "Optional" is a term that you refer to so loosely, that this is just becoming semantics. What I have a problem with is that the optional content we are presented is very difficult to take advantage of. This is incredibly apparent when players state that this update alone warrants quiting the game, and for a very particular reason. This update is not what we asked for. Ever since the large summer update, we've seen test come and go with the hopes of book XV, and having it be neglected in favor of an unwanted currency system that takes up an excess amount of time, and has caused almost an outrage.

You can also argue that my opinions are unfounded due to the fact that I do not consider every player out there, but considering every player out there is flawed on its own. I do not share the opinions of everyone who plays this game, and even if I did, I would likely defend my claims in a different way than them. I can only speak for those who are the "local voices," because they're the only ones who speak up! If you want me to consider the masses, then the masses should display their own thoughts, either here or on central. I hear people complain about the state of the world who refuse to vote in elections. Don't complain about something when you're ignoring your opportunity to help it. I am unable to speak for an unspoken voice, unless they voice their own thoughts.

Also, saying that adding in more functions adds more depth is a double edged sword. There are systems that can add in a certain amount of depth, but when too many of these systems exist, it isn't depth and complexity, just a lack of focus. Adding in a new system here and there that is polished, balanced, and has real incentive to the player is great, but when every update contains a new system, it just screams convoluted. Look at wiz's fishing. Everyone I know considers it a waste of time with no reasonable payout. Not worth it. BUT, of course there is going to be that one niche group that finds it worth while. Catering to niche groups is fine on occasion, but the majority should be considered beforehand. Adding in focused, requested elements like a new book should go before the new systems, only because pleasing the majority has, historically at least, always worked out best. Imagine a giant plate with every food known to man on it. sure, a good chunk of the stuff there is great, but there is a lot of unsavory parts that you wish was just left in the kitchen.
There is a perfect alternative, don't bother with it if you don't like it, adapt to it if you do so desire...optional- available to be chosen but not obligatory.

Yes I tossed that word out again, but when the shoe fits... Comparing the necessity of breathing to playing a video game, is quite a bit of a reach-- like a "1 billion dollar credit card on the moon" reach. And yes new optional content presented may at times be difficult to take advantage of, but why does everything have to be so easy? It's ok to work for things if you choose or just let it be if you wish...optional.

I can't fathom why people are so quick to freakout (as Ratbeard stated) & voice such displeasure on something that has literally just been introduced & is in the "test phase'. To give constructive criticism, is helpful, to just speak out of pure emotion & lack of patience is not. So we discovered in 1 or 2 days that it's tough to acquire Scrip & the amount of costs to purchase Scrip related gear can be pretty steep. So KI will make adjustments, & if not we can adapt or simply choose not to use the Black Market. Overreacting after 1 or 2 days, without even considering KI's possibly future implementations, is just reacting from pure emotion. "This isn't what I wanted, so I don't like it." It's a work in progress, not a finished product by any means.

Considering every other player out there may be flawed but only to the extent that you speak of. You can still be considerate to people you know may possibly have different view points & opinions. It's called common courtesy, I was raised to consider other's opinions-- regardless if 100 people had 100 completely different opinions on something (just as I certainly consider & appreciate yours). KI is giving those 100 different opinionated people the choice to do what appeases them. You can choose to partake in some of the new updates, all of the updates or anywhere in between. It's impossible to make all kinds of humans happy at once, but by giving them more choices they can script their own gaming experience & have it play out how they see fit.

Also there are very valid reasons why not every player out of the millions don't speak up, so saying they don't have a voice because they don't speak up, is extremely flawed. To use your voting analogy I offer this. Does a paralyzed, physically unable to vote person, not have the right to the same freedoms & healthcare as someone who can just stroll into a voting booth? There are many people who vote who don't have a clue as to what they are voting for and/or what the repercussions of their vote could mean. Do they garner more merit because they simply cast a vote? My point is, those people & players who don't speak, & in many cases can't speak up, are still there & they do matter, whether or not they voice their opinions.

Also, to me, convoluted doesn't really apply with options that are completely avoidable. My son plays the game and has no idea that most of the updates even exist.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

I forgot to add a point that I couldn't fit in the last post.

You say that you have a problem with the "optional" content presented as being very difficult to take advantage of. I know that others may feel that way too, but did you ever consider that perhaps this was intended, since it is 'optional content'? If everything new via updates is easy to quickly obtain, rest assured the majority of the same players voicing disgust over having to wait, would go right back to "where are the new worlds?". In regards to these players, KI is in a bit of a lose/lose situation. The new book(s) & world(s) are not here yet- players rant that they are tired of waiting. In the meantime KI gives us lots of other things to enjoy- players rant that it isn't what they want & it is too difficult to take advantage of. Yet, if they don't give us something to do while waiting- those players rant that KI doesn't care & there is nothing to do. When does the ranting end? I guess I don't get it because I am not the complaining type, especially over something trivial. It just seems that people these days complain way too soon & over way too little, instead of making things work or working harder themselves-- heck, I guess it's easier to complain than to adapt & overcome in most cases?

What point is it to add new content if we blaze through it, acquire all there is new to acquire & are 'over it' in merely a matter of weeks. Perhaps the new content & updates are intended to give us something to do for more than a few days/weeks-- lots of great things come from being patient.

We can't make new books/worlds come faster via complaints/rants, or at least I hope that we can't-- because that means we would have complained to the point of shortchanging our fellow players into receiving rushed, premature goods, by pressuring KI to deliver an unfinished product. If less time was spent being frustrated & more time trying to make the most of the great new additions, than perhaps the new worlds would get here a bit faster...or at least appear to. Perhaps all the complaining about the new content is forcing KI to devote more than intended developer/programmer time to focusing on it instead of the new book/worlds(s)....but perhaps not, maybe that is figured into the allotted time and the timeline progression.

Also, it may be easy to categorize those that see the new updates (whether W101 or P101) worthwhile as a niche group. Everyone you know may consider it a waste of time but what about the possible millions you don't know, how can you presume that they aren't part of that niche group that is supposedly getting catered to. Of course the majority of people you know may have similar viewpoints. As humans & social entities, we tend to gravitate towards persons who share our similar interests. To most that I know & associate with, they have enjoyed the new updates & the niche group is actually composed of players that don't appreciate KI's recent efforts. It's all relative to who you know.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

"Adding in focused, requested elements like a new book should go before the new systems"

Just wanted to add that I actually disagree with this. To use an analogy from my line of work, it's like stating 'let's just give them a constructed house first, slap on the sheetrock, throw on the siding & shingles and then we'll come back and add the plumbing, electrical & HVAC systems & even more importantly the foundation." Or just give the little kid a new book, he can figure out how to read after he struggles through it for a long while.

To me it makes no sense to put the book before the updates, if the new updates can possibly enhance or benefit us in the new book, new worlds and battles. We could be without the new updates, in the new book against some increasingly tough enemies, and be wishing, boy I really could have used a pet that grants my swashbuckler Blade Storm, Turn the Tide, Kraken's Lament, Rally and Regroup. The updates are giving us tools to better enjoy the new worlds and possibly aid our pirates along the way as we progress in the near to come, new book.

Now you may ask, what do the Pet updates have to do with my complaints over the Black Market updates. Well, in essence everything, because the very same complaints are presented with every single update from the very same players. "We didn't want this, Where's the new book, Give us the new book first and not updates we didn't ask for". It's the same ol' thing every update and it just gets a bit tough to swallow and to sit back and watch KI have to take all the jabs, all while they are trying to do what they can in order to give us and future players a better gaming experience. I have no ties to KI and owe them no favors. I shell out hard earned money to play the game just the same as you, I have to wait it out for new books just the same as you, I have to grind for gear just as you. But at the same time I do acknowledge effort when it is given and KI is giving effort...and I do appreciate it. You may not see it, but it is there nonetheless.

Perhaps we may actually need these updates to fully take advantage of, or to fully enjoy, the new book, world(s), enemies and content. It makes no sense to put the engine in and wheels on the car after it is otherwise fully assembled and we push it from the lot to our garage miles away....the engine and wheels may actually prove useful to getting us where we need to go! Not the greatest analogy but it illustrates the point I am attempting to make. Why give us a new book first, without the updates that may come into play in the new book and possibly help us out as well? I guarantee that if KI did that-- as in give us a new book and withhold potentially useful updates until we were struggling well into the new worlds-- the very same players doing the ranting would be complaining about how foolish and inconsiderate it was for KI to wait to give us tools that could have helped us with the new book, or at minimum made it more enjoyable.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011

KingsIsle can't just focus on the wants and don't wants of the Pirates in the message boards, in fact we take up quite a small percentage and remember that as the game updates things get easier, when more worlds are released, Scrip will become quite an easy thing to farm for, they can't just think of things to make the game better as it is now, they have to think of making these seemingly small additions play a big role in the future of the game. Also, playing the game IS optional and everything you do in it is also optional, just like being nice is optional but the way you show your kindness is a branch of optionality, aside from that I personally love the Scrip system, I personally wouldn't want to degrade Scrip as an ordinary currency that I can just gain by using Gold which I max out in just a few hours or Crowns which I can buy or earn just like that I would have the whole Black Market in my inventory! Remember Tickets in Wizard101? Many people say it's so easy to obtain them, but when I was playing the game a few years back I remember how hard it was to obtain tickets and many people were saying exactly what you are saying about Scrip.

Some people can't speak their voice, some people are afraid to speak their voice, I was once one of those people... It's rather inconsiderate if you only include the peoples' opinions who speak out loud, some people are too afraid to do that or just feel like their voice has no say in the matter, it's pretty unfair saying that people shouldn't be able to complain if they are 'ignoring' the opportunity, some people don't even know they have the opportunity and KingsIsle can't just think about the people whose voices are heard, what about the majority? Whose voices aren't heard. I talk about the game with many of the Pirates in live realm and barely any of them even know about places like Pirate101 Central or the Message Boards, which surprises me to be honest, but that's the thing, you can't expect everyone to share their voice if they don't even know they can. You may not want to consider the thoughts of every players, but every player counts when making a game, that one player's opinion can change the course of the game's future.

Well with Fishing, I see everyone doing it, I don't know about you but my friend has gotten a Sea Dragon from chests twice now, I would hardly call that a waste of time, it's just a fun optional thing to do in the game, it isn't required to complete the game's story or to even play the game. When considering the majority you have to talk about which majority, the entirety of the players or the majority of the ones that speak their minds. Really the majority for me have always loved KingsIsle and up to now defended KI for every update hated upon other players. An expansion for Skull Island, Pet and Companion 2.0, a farm-able tower and now this update just makes the game better for me, I have patience for KI to make a masterpiece storyline with the next books!