Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Did we really need a new currency?

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I'm finding the new scrip system very confusing. First, we are only given 10,000 scrip to start, but many of the items in the Black Market cost more than that. So - how do we get more scrip? Buy the new Gauntlet for Crowns. I could only do two rounds last night and got 15 scrip. This means I would have to repeat this 14 times just to be able to buy a stack of towels.

Fight ships in the skyways? I fought 15 ships in Aquila and received only gold and one piece of ship equipment. NO scrip.

Can we buy Scrip for gold? Are we going to get a Banker in-game to exchange our funds?

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
I also found the drop rate of scrip from the ships sunk very low I sunk only 4 but got no scrip. I also tried the gauntlet and found that 2 comps died before I finished the first fight.
Not a gauntlet I want to run. That seems to be exchanging down time for scrip or gold if you pay Mitch. How about I just promise not to play for the 7 hours it'll take my companions to heal can I exchange that for scrip?

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
On which round does the awarding of script start?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Feb 08, 2009
Not only that, but the enemies in the gauntlet are ridiculously strong. I thought I picked a pretty good team of companions, but the swashbuckler mouse could solo all of them since she hits for one thousand on an epic critical which she was getting every turn. Not to mention the privateer spamming mass heal at the end of every turn and the musketeer doing the same with bombs. I only tried out the dungeon because after fighting like 20 ships and the eagle boss ship in Aquila, without boarding, and I didn't get any scrips. To be honest, the price of the items in the black market don't really make sense anyway. You said doing the initial quest gives 125 in the live realm, but the prices of housing items are hundreds to thousands, and the gear; which is looks really cool but is stat less, costs around 5-6k for the just the armor.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I got script from the bosses in the skyways such as spartacos and pluton. I assume it is like that in all the skyways. Check it out and see.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Developer

Yes.

I'm finding the new scrip system very confusing.

Ok. Maybe I can help.

First, we are only given 10,000 scrip to start, but many of the items in the Black Market cost more than that.

There's about 70 items in the Black Market. Seven of them cost 10k or more. That means that 90% of the items on the Black Market are immediately available.

There's about 40 items that are less than 1k each. You can buy ten copies of over half of the items on the Black Market.

So - how do we get more scrip? Buy the new Gauntlet for Crowns.

That's one way. Another way is to farm ships. (More on that in a minute.)

I could only do two rounds last night and got 15 scrip. This means I would have to repeat this 14 times just to be able to buy a stack of towels.

Or you'll need to do better. The amount of scrip you earn in the Arena is not linear-- you get more scrip for clearing more rounds.

As always, we'll be tweaking things during Test Realm. That's what it's for.

If you win at least one round, you'll win scrip.

Fight ships in the skyways? I fought 15 ships in Aquila and received only gold and one piece of ship equipment. NO scrip.

We're reviewing the drop rate. We're expecting to see you guys forming scrip farming parties so that you can (collectively) sink a lot more ships in a lot shorter time.

Can we buy Scrip for gold? Are we going to get a Banker in-game to exchange our funds?

No and no.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I personally like the idea of Scrips and the Black Market, it's new and gives us the ability to purchase special new in-game items, we earn all that Scrip and buy special items to show accomplishment, it wouldn't be much of an accomplishment if anyone could get enough Scrips in one day to get the most expensive item. It's rather similar to Wizard101's PVP with Tickets.

I do not think there should be a Gold to Scrip currency exchanger because Scrips are an optional form of currency just like Crowns or Gold, you don't always need them and The Black Market holds items with battle standards, so I really think it's worth the farm.

So far I've gotten Scrips from the ships I've sunk but I guess that's only me but I have tried more places than just Aquila

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard, I noticed that we have a Scrip cap of 200,000, matching our Gold Cap. I'm guessing that the Scrip cap may increase with our Gold cap someday? Just wondering.

Developer
Trimond297 on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard, I noticed that we have a Scrip cap of 200,000, matching our Gold Cap. I'm guessing that the Scrip cap may increase with our Gold cap someday? Just wondering.
You hit the cap already or something?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
You hit the cap already or something?

No, just highlighted the amount of Scrips I have & saw the Scrip limit, that's all.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Why do you only get 100 scrip for clearing the new dungeon, and why cant we say scrip

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Much like getting Gold, Ratbeard, it's my understanding that as we clash against tougher, higher level enemy ships, we get more Scrip, yes?

Developer
zuto4011a on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:
Why do you only get 100 scrip for clearing the new dungeon, and why cant we say scrip
Why do you only get 100 scrip for clearing the new dungeon?

The amount you get for clearing the dungeon is both random, and tied to the challenge level (which is set by the highest level player). You get more scrip for beating more rounds and higher level enemies.

And why cant we say scrip?

We'll get that added to the chat filter ASAP! Thanks!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Ratbeard on Nov 20, 2014 wrote:

Yes.

I'm finding the new scrip system very confusing.

Ok. Maybe I can help.

First, we are only given 10,000 scrip to start, but many of the items in the Black Market cost more than that.

There's about 70 items in the Black Market. Seven of them cost 10k or more. That means that 90% of the items on the Black Market are immediately available.

There's about 40 items that are less than 1k each. You can buy ten copies of over half of the items on the Black Market.

So - how do we get more scrip? Buy the new Gauntlet for Crowns.

That's one way. Another way is to farm ships. (More on that in a minute.)

I could only do two rounds last night and got 15 scrip. This means I would have to repeat this 14 times just to be able to buy a stack of towels.

Or you'll need to do better. The amount of scrip you earn in the Arena is not linear-- you get more scrip for clearing more rounds.

As always, we'll be tweaking things during Test Realm. That's what it's for.

If you win at least one round, you'll win scrip.

We're reviewing the drop rate. We're expecting to see you guys forming scrip farming parties so that you can (collectively) sink a lot more ships in a lot shorter time.

No and no.
Would you mind elaborating on your answer to that first question? Why did we need a new currency? I have enough trouble finding a use for all my gold.

Developer
KiwiChickenz on Nov 24, 2014 wrote:
Would you mind elaborating on your answer to that first question? Why did we need a new currency? I have enough trouble finding a use for all my gold.
Different kinds of currency can incentivize different kinds of play, and at different levels of play.