Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchdoctor VS Swashbuckler: Who would win?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 18, 2013
I am both Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor, but I have suddenly become interested in how different classes depend/repel one another. In a fight between Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor, who would you think would win and why?

I for one find Swashbucklers deadly if you get in their range (which is hard not to considering the jump talent and being able to move in the shadows). Witchdoctors hold a different type of deadly status, though: their spells. A Witchdoctor's attacks can give high damage, overtime damage, and even damage you while healing them. Not to mention that they can attack from across the board, and even in risky situations teleport right in front of you! Another thing they have at their fingure tips is summoning allies from the dead. (Now that we have the new coins that can summon allies too, this factor isn't very important).

So who do you think would win in a sparring match? Do you think Witchdoctors and Swashbucklers a good team? Would you be scared if you were face to face with a swashbuckler? Do Witchdoctors haunt your dreams with their spookiness? I would love to hear your feedback! Thanks for reading!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FierySilverWolf on Nov 5, 2014 wrote:
I am both Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor, but I have suddenly become interested in how different classes depend/repel one another. In a fight between Swashbuckler and Witchdoctor, who would you think would win and why?

I for one find Swashbucklers deadly if you get in their range (which is hard not to considering the jump talent and being able to move in the shadows). Witchdoctors hold a different type of deadly status, though: their spells. A Witchdoctor's attacks can give high damage, overtime damage, and even damage you while healing them. Not to mention that they can attack from across the board, and even in risky situations teleport right in front of you! Another thing they have at their fingure tips is summoning allies from the dead. (Now that we have the new coins that can summon allies too, this factor isn't very important).

So who do you think would win in a sparring match? Do you think Witchdoctors and Swashbucklers a good team? Would you be scared if you were face to face with a swashbuckler? Do Witchdoctors haunt your dreams with their spookiness? I would love to hear your feedback! Thanks for reading!
Swashbuckler in most ( not all ) situations would win a 1v1 pvp ( especially on the small arenas in the class houses. ) A black fog, then assassin's shroud then assassin's strike. But I also take into account the companions you should choose in facing a witchdoctor. Here I would have Sarah ( with her own hide ), with Subodai and Ratbeard, both of them able to take hard hits, yet still attack.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Depends on who strikes first...

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I agree with Esperanza.A swashbuckler will almost always win in 1 VS 1,because their stengths are present and their weaknesses aren't.

A witchdoctor who would use Valor's Fortress,Widow's Touch,legions of minions,heals and hexes,and when feeling weak just Shadow Step to the other side of the battleboard would stand a chance,but the witchdoctor is geared towards avoiding direct hand to hand combat,something the swashbuckler excels at.While,the witchdoctor always excels at throwing tricks,and alterations,and minions and stuff,the swashbuckler's weakness is his really low health:something that's not easy to exploit in a 1 VS 1 fight.

In the end,though,both stand a chance.Now add to all of this gear and doubloons and you get even more complications.

So...there's a lot of things that can happen.Ultimately,if the swashbuckler gets his way,he'll win.If the witchdoctor stops him,he'll have to find a clever way to get out of it.If this clever way takes too long,the witchdoctor can only seize the opportunity to destroy the swashbuckler.

Either way,PvP wars between classes aren't too amazing.A lot of stuff can go right,and a lot of stuff can go wrong.And a lot of other stuff can happen.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

I would have to agree with Anecorbie on this one. I have beaten many Witchdoctors with my Swashbuckler, but I have also beaten many Swashbucklers with my Witchdoctor. Overall I believe a talented Buckler will beat a talented Witch. I think a good Swashbuckler will win against any class, but Witchdoctors do have some good things going for them. The Tower gear gives them a bunch of Jobu's embrace which damages your opponent and also heals you. It will also do damage to a Swashbuckler while they are hidden, provided there is an enemy near enough to the Swashbuckler to target with this AoE attack. Pets are good to target if the Buckler's team is all hidden which is why I don't use a pet when I 1v1 with my Buckler. If the Swashbuckler doesn't take you out with that first Assassin's Strike, they better hope your Witchdoctor doesn't have their Mojo Reaver card ready to go. A newer trend in PVP is for pirates to battle each other without using companions. It definitely changes things, but if you do use companions, my Witch always does well with two melee companions and one other ranged companion. I like to use both of the goat dudes, Kan Po and Keisuke together because they have their own hiddens and heals and can easily take out anyone when they come out of hidden in tandem. I also use Bonnie because of her heal and also because...hey...it's Bonnie.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
It depends on the type of player controlling the class that is important and if they know what powers to use and when. Any class can be beaten one on one if you know a good strategy.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
May 11, 2011
I'm a Witchdoctor myself and I won a few matches with Swashbucklers but also lost a few. Basically its an even tie but putting a charm on the Swashbuckler pirate would be a major advantage! But if a Swashbuckler were to reach the Witchdoctor pirate, then the Witchdoctor is doomed. So I don't know! But there's always stygian chorus or any minion summoning to block the Swashbucklers attempted-attack.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Sir.Fortifier on Dec 31, 2014 wrote:
I'm a Witchdoctor myself and I won a few matches with Swashbucklers but also lost a few. Basically its an even tie but putting a charm on the Swashbuckler pirate would be a major advantage! But if a Swashbuckler were to reach the Witchdoctor pirate, then the Witchdoctor is doomed. So I don't know! But there's always stygian chorus or any minion summoning to block the Swashbucklers attempted-attack.
I have a max Swashbuckler and a max Witchdoctor. While I have had my share of success with my Witchdoctor, I believe that Swashbucklers have an edge over them in pvp. The summons you mention aren't that effective (the little skeleton guys can't even hit me and I can take them out in one shot) and they just delay the inevitable. Also you can't target a hidden Swashbuckler with charm and I have lots of hiddens in my arsenal. Before the update that fixed hidden I would have agreed that the 2 classes were fairly even. Now-a-days I think a good Swashbuckler would beat a good Witchdoctor the majority of the time. Both are great classes and there is some luck involved in pvp so of course anything can happen.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
It all depends, like people have been saying. Both of the classes play a different game so to speak. Witchdoctors focus on attacking from a distance, not hand to hand. In a hand to hand situation, the Buckler would emerge victorious. If he can't even approach the Doctor however, then the Buckler could be spelled to death(quite literally). Still, it depends on the strategies and skills of the players, and how fast the Buckler can approach the Doctor.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 65

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
The would win because....It has a lot of attacks & buffs.

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
Right now, I have an almost (does 15 lvls away count as "close"?) swash, and I have learned (the hard way) that in pvp, its not 100% about the class that makes the difference, but how the player uses the class's advantages and disadvantages in pvp. Also, how well the player uses their powers.

In my opinion, if the swash can get in range, its R.I.P for the witchdoctor. But, if the witchdoctor keeps their distance, they have a good chance to win.

Careless Natalie Evans lvl 50

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Noble Tyler Strong on Nov 6, 2014 wrote:
Depends on who strikes first...
... and which gear is equipped...

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
The Hoodoo Master on Nov 6, 2014 wrote:
I agree with Esperanza.A swashbuckler will almost always win in 1 VS 1,because their stengths are present and their weaknesses aren't.

A witchdoctor who would use Valor's Fortress,Widow's Touch,legions of minions,heals and hexes,and when feeling weak just Shadow Step to the other side of the battleboard would stand a chance,but the witchdoctor is geared towards avoiding direct hand to hand combat,something the swashbuckler excels at.While,the witchdoctor always excels at throwing tricks,and alterations,and minions and stuff,the swashbuckler's weakness is his really low health:something that's not easy to exploit in a 1 VS 1 fight.

In the end,though,both stand a chance.Now add to all of this gear and doubloons and you get even more complications.

So...there's a lot of things that can happen.Ultimately,if the swashbuckler gets his way,he'll win.If the witchdoctor stops him,he'll have to find a clever way to get out of it.If this clever way takes too long,the witchdoctor can only seize the opportunity to destroy the swashbuckler.

Either way,PvP wars between classes aren't too amazing.A lot of stuff can go right,and a lot of stuff can go wrong.And a lot of other stuff can happen.
even though this is true this is kind of ironic that it is coming from the pirate who calls himself the hoodoo master XD anyway yeah i agree a swashbuckler could easily beat someone in 1v1 but the witchdoctor could summon a lot of minions and they could just surpise the swashbuckler even though it moves really fast ( man i really need to work on my pirates now that i think about it ) the swashbuckler moves really fast but the witchdoctor could just use shadow step and attack from behind but if the swashbuckler keeps on the pain with its really powerful attacks then the witchdoctor won't stand a chance.

you know this seems to be a long debate about who would win a swashbuckler or a witchdoctor we need to find a pro swashbuckler and a pro witchdoctor to find out XD

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
warrior021u on Jan 30, 2015 wrote:
even though this is true this is kind of ironic that it is coming from the pirate who calls himself the hoodoo master XD anyway yeah i agree a swashbuckler could easily beat someone in 1v1 but the witchdoctor could summon a lot of minions and they could just surpise the swashbuckler even though it moves really fast ( man i really need to work on my pirates now that i think about it ) the swashbuckler moves really fast but the witchdoctor could just use shadow step and attack from behind but if the swashbuckler keeps on the pain with its really powerful attacks then the witchdoctor won't stand a chance.

you know this seems to be a long debate about who would win a swashbuckler or a witchdoctor we need to find a pro swashbuckler and a pro witchdoctor to find out XD
I would be curious to see such a battle though a lot of emphasis in this post seems to be on how the SB or WD is equipped - gear and pet as well as companions chosen must also factor in.
Lets hypothesize a pvp between a WD and SB without equipment, and with the same companions ( say El Toro, Ratbeard and Bonnie Anne ). Who, then, would win?
Post Edit: Their equipment should also be of the same level without grants and doing the same damage ( so say a level 0 weapon for both )

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
swashbuckler would win, might even flawless the witch since hidden is extremely OP

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jan 30, 2015 wrote:
swashbuckler would win, might even flawless the witch since hidden is extremely OP
Hidden is NOT the only weapon in the SB's arsenal, we have many other attacks and talents as good if not better!

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009

Personally, I belive that in a match between Witchdoctor and Swashbuckler, it depends on how far the contestants are willing to go. Yes, Swashes are like the kings of 1v1 dueling, but Witchdoctors can easily turn the tide of any battle. I'm also factoring playing fair (no doubloons).

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 31, 2015 wrote:
Hidden is NOT the only weapon in the SB's arsenal, we have many other attacks and talents as good if not better!
hidden assassin, hidden poison

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
Neither class is better, it all depends on strategy and crew (mostly crew) for a witch i would choose a corner, then have ratbeard (rank 3 hold the line, 2 bladestorm), then zeena (burst 2, double tap 2) and pepe (overwatch 3 and then double tap) they would be a good wall while the witch can cast spells (splash if buckler is hidden) and they will horribly damage the majority of swashbuckler due to our low magic resist. pepe and zeena are for thier traps to protect yourself. For the buckler i would suggest ratbeard (same setup) then exeter and baar or goro, i personaly use exeter, rat (or goro) then baar. the crew can go in ahead of time and attempt to rid defenses then your buckler can ko within four rounds once by witch.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
It depend how well each class are trained, the gears they have and who strike first.

- High will power and magic resistance, a fair amount of dodge and in general have a good amount of health. However this class can't take a lot of physical damage and in general are long ranged attacker. However with the right talent from other class like walk in the wind to boost agility and dodge, this class could win against a in pvp. Just remember that rouse spell ( if you have it ). ( I wish this class could learn assassin's mist for partice point.)

- A class with high speed and dodge, this class also have the highest damage of all the 5 pirate class. Just like Bucanneer this class can do multiple physical attacks. However this class have low health ( unless it's given the tough talanet from the class and the raised in girzzlehim trait.) If your have high health and combine sneak, this is one to force to reckon with.

Between the two class if they go on pvp , I would say in my opinon for most part . But I could be wrong...I would be surprise if my swashbuckler encounter a witchdoctor with a mighty charge and use it against this character.