Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to defeat Witchdoctors - not about PvP!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 23, 2013
I was doing the dungeon Bandit Cave in MooShu. When I got to the Earth Sorcerer battle, though, it got difficult very fast. I had no time to organize my companions, so it was me (a Swashbuckler), El Toro, Sarah Steele, and Mustang Sally against a Buccaneer and three Witchdoctors.

Not very good odds, is it?

My three companions died fast, and soon I was left with 70 health and two enemies left. I fled, naturally.

I have a feeling this is going to take awhile to defeat three Witchdoctors, each one fairly strong.

Anyone have any good strategies for defeating Witchdoctors? And, everyone - no rants about how Swashbucklers are better than Witchdoctors, or vice versa.

This is not about PvP. Do you understand?

Okay, good. Like I said above, it isn't about PvP. It's about regular enemies, in regular battles. So - anyone know any good strategies for defeating Witchdoctors?

Loyal Emmaline Ramsey, lvl 45

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
CyanGirl on Oct 31, 2014 wrote:
I was doing the dungeon Bandit Cave in MooShu. When I got to the Earth Sorcerer battle, though, it got difficult very fast. I had no time to organize my companions, so it was me (a Swashbuckler), El Toro, Sarah Steele, and Mustang Sally against a Buccaneer and three Witchdoctors.

My three companions died fast, and soon I was left with 70 health and two enemies left. I fled, naturally.

I have a feeling this is going to take awhile to defeat three Witchdoctors, each one fairly strong.

Anyone have any good strategies for defeating Witchdoctors? And, everyone - no rants about how Swashbucklers are better than Witchdoctors, or vice versa.

Okay, good. Like I said above, it isn't about PvP. It's about regular enemies, in regular battles. So - anyone know any good strategies for defeating Witchdoctors?

Change your gear for maximum Spell Resistance. Bring in Buccaneer companions, for high health. Witchdoctors tend to have low health, so your Swashbuckler character will be useful. Use your Buccaneer companions to shield the Swash until you have a good opportunity to strike.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You should have Walk in Darkness at your level, use it! Sarah Steele has a hide as well,( if you've finished her second promotion ). Use Subodai, and don't forget the importance of doubloons to buff or summon assistance!

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
CyanGirl on Oct 31, 2014 wrote:

Spell resistant gear is good, next spread out your companions so they aren't all getting hit by the same spellcast. It doesn't hurt to have a companion or two fall back so the enemy has to come to them. Keeps them from casting (while moving) and gives you a chance to hit them more alone without all their witchdoctor buddys. I am assuming you are playing solo, darn hard to get strategy across when grouped with someone else fighting witchdoctors. Get in a fight with someone else and seems like you just have to suffer through it and hope your companions live.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Hi, Emmaline! I think witchdoctors can make very interesting villains to battle. The first thing I do when facing witchdoctors is spread out, so they can't target more than one of you at a time.

Like a swashbuckler, a witchdoctor can hit hard, but is relatively fragile. Witchdoctors usually also have poor armor (or none), and unlike swashbucklers, they don't dodge all that well. Cast hide on yourself if possible, as a swashbuckler, use buccaneer or swashbuckler companions to get up towards them as fast as possible and clobber them. I would use more than one person attacking a witchdoctor, to try to make sure that they can't come back in the next round to hit you, even if you risk losing an attack because of this strategy.

Now, as a swashbuckler, you are using El Toro to buff everyone first, yes? That will give a chance to dodge magical attacks as well as conventional ones. As Esperanza (anecorbie) recommends, have Sarah hide herself and use her speed to take out one of the more distantly placed witchdoctors. If you have Fan in play, a Fan + Sarah combination, positioning Fan so she can attack the witchdoctor directly opposite from Sarah (flanking) will give her an extra attack, and since both those ladies hit hard, you have a good shot at taking the enemy down quickly. This sort of position also makes it impossible for the witchdoctor to attack both of them in his round.

Let the bucaneer come to you rather than chase him - your 'first strike' will come into play well here and keeping Sarah far away from him (dealing with a witchdoctor) is a good idea. Ratbeard and Subodai are very good in this kind of fight, both against the buccaneer (matching attacks well) and the witchdoctors (with the low armor of the witchdoctor, they are more likely to critical). Bonnie Anne is also good, her scattershot lowering the enemies' accuracy, her excellent ranged attack, and her heal!

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
The Earth Sorcerer fight is just hard. I failed the first time I tried it, and you have to fight the Water and Fire Sorcerers afterward. Some tips:

• Focus attack on one enemy at a time. You will be able to defeat said enemy in two or three turns.
  • Kill the swashbucklers first. (They do the most damage.) Then the boss and the other witchdoctors in any order.
  • Heal. Even if you are not a privateer, find a way to do it. Gear with healing, companions with healing, doubloons, doing the dungeon with a privateer, whatever. You have to do three Sorcerer fights, plus two more other fights in the dungeon, and you don't have an infinite supply of companions / mojo potions.
  • Get lucky. Just do.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 41

Ensign
Nov 23, 2013
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I only just got around to seeing the replies today, so I just skimmed it, but I'll read it thoroughly later. Also, does this apply - naturally - to Musketeers as well?