Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Wow Blind Mew!!!

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
How dare you teach me something without me knowing it!? Hahaha, I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, if you're a young whippersnapper like me... and pay attention to what's going on in the game, you might learn a thing or two (and so much more) about history. History is not my best subject. I know it's just stories, but I have trouble remembering exact dates, people, and terms.

Last year (World Civilization) and this year (U.S. History) as we read and take notes in class I come across something and frown in confusion; "Wait a minute, I actually know some of these people!" Thanks Blind Mew for helping me with this subject! When taking quizzes and test most of those things better because of my gameplay in Pirate101. I know the people better and what they did. In World Civ, Cortez and the Aztecs was mentioned. In U.S. History, we just finished reading about the Wild West and Sitting Bull in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show, James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok, and Martha Jane Burke (Calamity Jane) came up. After finishing that chapter, I now have a new respect for Cool Ranch.

There goes to show that you can actually learn a lot from games and it is very helpful. Thanks again Blind Mew for teaching me something in a fun way that helps me remember people better.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
Commodore
May 31, 2009
435Snow Owl on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
How dare you teach me something without me knowing it!? Hahaha, I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, if you're a young whippersnapper like me... and pay attention to what's going on in the game, you might learn a thing or two (and so much more) about history. History is not my best subject. I know it's just stories, but I have trouble remembering exact dates, people, and terms.

Last year (World Civilization) and this year (U.S. History) as we read and take notes in class I come across something and frown in confusion; "Wait a minute, I actually know some of these people!" Thanks Blind Mew for helping me with this subject! When taking quizzes and test most of those things better because of my gameplay in Pirate101. I know the people better and what they did. In World Civ, Cortez and the Aztecs was mentioned. In U.S. History, we just finished reading about the Wild West and Sitting Bull in Buffalo Bill's Wild West show, James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok, and Martha Jane Burke (Calamity Jane) came up. After finishing that chapter, I now have a new respect for Cool Ranch.

There goes to show that you can actually learn a lot from games and it is very helpful. Thanks again Blind Mew for teaching me something in a fun way that helps me remember people better.
Oh, wow, I had a moment like this today! We recently started a Greek Mythology unit in English, and we did a little bit of background on the Trojan War. I started reading and went, "Hang on, I know this!"

So I agree, thanks Mew for helping me remember some Greek Mythology!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Well,to be fair,his degree is in History,and he does have some previous experience as a social studies teacher...I think....

Hehehe,but in full seriousness,I absolutely love all the historical(and sometimes hysterical) references.And the puns involving them too.Beyond awesome.Thanks guys.

Developer
The Hoodoo Master on Sep 9, 2014 wrote:
Well,to be fair,his degree is in History,and he does have some previous experience as a social studies teacher...I think....

Hehehe,but in full seriousness,I absolutely love all the historical(and sometimes hysterical) references.And the puns involving them too.Beyond awesome.Thanks guys.
I double majored in Hostory and Archaeology at the University of Texas (go 'Horns!), and my original career goal was to be a high school history/social studies teacher. I was a semester or two from student teaching when a dear old friend of mine (J. Todd Coleman, in fact) drafted me to write fiction for his cool new MMO.

That was 14 years ago. It was beyond awesome to come work for him again in 2010.

And yes, I always try to fold in historic and cultural references, subtle or blatant, into any game I'm writing for. I figure if I can encourage one player to read one book, see one cool movie, or have on philosophical thought they wouldn't otherwise have ever had, I've done good in the world - and that's far more rewarding than getting to write for a living (NEVER did i think i would get so much use out of my Liberal Arts degree!).

I'm very glad the references are appreciated, but I must warn you - don't go by them too religiously. We mix things up, dice historical periods together, alter things for the sake of a joke, and throw in lots of pop culture shadings that aren't historically accurate. Don't use us as a source for a term paper or a test. But if our game helped give you a general feel or made a school topic more interesting, I am overjoyed.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Sep 9, 2014 wrote:
I double majored in Hostory and Archaeology at the University of Texas (go 'Horns!), and my original career goal was to be a high school history/social studies teacher. I was a semester or two from student teaching when a dear old friend of mine (J. Todd Coleman, in fact) drafted me to write fiction for his cool new MMO.

That was 14 years ago. It was beyond awesome to come work for him again in 2010.

And yes, I always try to fold in historic and cultural references, subtle or blatant, into any game I'm writing for. I figure if I can encourage one player to read one book, see one cool movie, or have on philosophical thought they wouldn't otherwise have ever had, I've done good in the world - and that's far more rewarding than getting to write for a living (NEVER did i think i would get so much use out of my Liberal Arts degree!).

I'm very glad the references are appreciated, but I must warn you - don't go by them too religiously. We mix things up, dice historical periods together, alter things for the sake of a joke, and throw in lots of pop culture shadings that aren't historically accurate. Don't use us as a source for a term paper or a test. But if our game helped give you a general feel or made a school topic more interesting, I am overjoyed.
Blind Mew, it's been long since you were around, because you were, & pretty much, still are, very busy and all.

Hope you could open another new Story Thread sometime soon, for you've plenty of questions we've left for you to answer, even mine. No rush.

Other than that, we're having a blast with the new Tower of Moo Manchu Gauntlet! It certainly brought us the kind of challenge we've been looking for, & it will keep soothing our boredom while Book 15 gets closer to being ready. Hope we get to see more challenging side Gauntlets like it sometime soon!

I also itch to find out more of the Toymaker's plan on how to stop Kane completely & I can't wait for it a bit too long for Book 15's release to find out!

And, of course, the Cool Ranch changes are amazing, too. Especially that new Puppet Show about English Bill becoming the Duck of Death. Amazing! Along with others, too.

I hope Book 5 gets a Puppet Show added someday, too. Could anyone imagine how Book 5's Puppet Show would turn out if it was made? I would, would you, Blind Mew?

The question would be, what would be the perfect place to do a Puppet Show in Book 5? I'm sure you would surprise me.

While I understand that you don't talk schedule, I'm just thinking that it's closer to being done, correct? Just thinking.

Anyway, nice to see you back after your quite lengthy absence here!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

*Chrissy Hug* Oh I have SO missed hearing from you Sir Mew. I know you are busy and your absence just means more fantastic stuff is being prepared for us, but still, you are greatly loved and missed and I am just thrilled with your little surprise visit. Blessings and giggles on ya.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012

I thank you for the clarification.I never knew Todd was the one who dragged you into the MMO industry,and I can only imagine the reaction when he called you on to work on this project.It's funny how twisting these kinds of things can be.

I can certainly tell you that your works did indeed make some of the other things in here interesting.Indeed,my way of fulfulling it,as well as the way you guys present it,makes for some very good puns,and some amazing ideas.While spending a lot of time thinking about the history of Krokotopia,or something,isn't suggested,it is rewarding when you try to reflect it on certain Middle Eastern Kingdoms.

As always,this appearance was highly appreciated.Thank you.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012

Haha, no worries. I know that it's not historically accurate, but yes indeed it makes it more interesting. Really it mostly helps me remember names better, whether it be a pun or a rhyme, and things similar to what they did. What's the word...? An allusion. That best explains what I meant.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013

You know Blind Mew, thanks to this game I've been more inspired to learn History and Archeology than ever before. This game has inspired me to study lots of historical events that actually happened, and were apart of the story line in this game. Here's one example: For a while, I've heard tales of the Trojan War and never really was interested on studying it. After getting to experience P101's version of the Trojan War, I was more than ever looking forward into studying the Trojan War, just to find that the historical Trojan War ties very well or greatly resembles to the Pirate101 version. I've done other studies. I've learned Bonnie Anne is based of a pirate names Anne Bonnie, I've done my reaserch on Blackbeard (because, you know. Ratbeard), I've learned that the Magnificent 7 were actually real outlaws and lawmen. Bill the Kid, Doc Holiday(Duck Holiday), Calamity Jane Canary, Buffalo Bill, William Barclay Masterson(otherwise known as Bat Masterson, as his Wild West nickname. Fun fact, he is an outlaw) Wyatt Earp(Wyatt Chirp, the dead M7 member) and Wild Bill Hickock(Wild Bill Peacock). Here is a fun fact. In the game we all know the card game Captain Blood cheated on right? Well in history, Mr. Hickock decided to play a nice game of poker, when someone by the name of "Crooked Nose Jack" or Jack McCall being his real name, came in and shot Hickock while he played his poker game, and Hickock was killed holding 2 eights, and 2 aces in his hand. The event is known as "Dead mans hand", which was indeed a story placed into the game, but instead of Wild Bill Peacock, it's Captain Blood. True story! Look up James Butler Hickock(Wild Bill Hickock) and read for yourself! Thanks to you Blind Mew, history is my favorite subject, you have really inspired me, and I guess inspired my education too I'm in my second year of High School, so I would be proud to call you my "other history teacher". Never hurts to add a little history into anything! Keep it up Mr. Mew! I'll see you in the Spiral

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
Hi! I think the funniest thing was when I was learning about the Roman and Greece empire last year in Social Studies period and it reminded me of Aquila!

The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Just make sure that you double check everything with a reliable source before you go answering history essays like this:

Napoleon ruled over an ice-covered kingdom and attacked everyone around him, until the Italian robots ended his reign of terror and placed him in a British prison. He was later released when a war broke out between England and Italy. He went on to end the Spanish Civil War.