Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

unfair amounts of companions for classes

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Polaris1055 on Aug 29, 2014 wrote:
Musketeers, Witchdoctors, and Buccaneers give Buffs too. the only technically buff the Swashbucklers give is Black Fog so pretty much all classes give buffs
But not the same amount of buffs available to a privateer.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Polaris1055 on Aug 29, 2014 wrote:
Musketeers, Witchdoctors, and Buccaneers give Buffs too. the only technically buff the Swashbucklers give is Black Fog so pretty much all classes give buffs
He/She (I'm not sure which) is talking about the, like, dozens of buffs and heals the Privateer gets. The other classes get one, maybe two.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
Lt. Springer is a privateer, so is Catbeard.
And since you get both of them in Marleybone, this would explain a lot.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Kai Alcott on Aug 30, 2014 wrote:
He/She (I'm not sure which) is talking about the, like, dozens of buffs and heals the Privateer gets. The other classes get one, maybe two.
True enough, but buffs are almost all that Privateers get. Everyone else is getting a bunch of special attacks. Since we get three AoE attacks as a Privateer, then one can also argue that everyone gets attacks, too. The point is that since Privateers don't get as many attacks, they must depend on their crews to bear that load. Most of what they can do are buffs to lighten the burden. We expect some of crew to go down during the fights (although we try to avoid letting it happen) so we need other fighters to pick up the slack.

Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
The amount of companions didn't matter until the overhaul. Now, I'd say Buccaneers are in worse shape than when the game launched.

PvE is brutal on this class. Most of your companions are Buccaneers or Musketeers. Most of your Buccaneer companions can't chain attacks very well (with the exception of Peter Quint, though he's still very new), and your Musketeers don't live if they get targeted, though "if" should be replaced with "when".

Ratbeard's acknowledged this already, but Loud is just not working properly. It never really has worked. The AI will actively avoid your main character (y'know, the "solo" class) in favor of someone else, regardless of what percentage your health is compared to your companions. Then there's the issue of the Buccaneer's base dodge rate being pretty high, so often times Vengeance Strike won't get proc'd.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Buccaneer. But the main purpose of the class, to command attention and tank, is not functional. Your squishier companions usually take the brunt force of the damage for whatever reason and you're helpless against it. Buccaneer's can't lay traps, hide their team, heal, or steal health. There is no way for them to save their companions short of making them run away (and in many situations, even that is not an option).

It's been acknowledge time and time again, but Buccaneers just can't do the job they were intended to do with what they are currently given. It's a constant uphill battle the other classes don't face.

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2010
Let's also not forget that the classes still get the same number of training tomes. So, while the Privateer may have a whole bunch of companions, a buccaneer would be able to level them up more easily.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
sjosten on Aug 31, 2014 wrote:
Let's also not forget that the classes still get the same number of training tomes. So, while the Privateer may have a whole bunch of companions, a buccaneer would be able to level them up more easily.
Yea, its incredible expensive to level all of them, i stopped leveling them past my first page because it cost 7k gold a single tome, i have 40 tomes after the advanced pet updates but im saving them for new worlds for my better companions

Admiral
May 30, 2010
sjosten on Aug 31, 2014 wrote:
Fortunately we can send some of less favorite companions out to brawl and get their own experience, or to search for tomes when we're lower. If (when) we need to replace wounded companions we can do so simply by belaying the orders for the fresher but regrettably lower level less-favored.

My buccaneer isn't doing as well companion-wise as my other types of pirates, but since she a) has enough sense to be running with a musketeer (plenty of traps and bombs and AoE attacks) and b) is a decently high level, most of her companions are very close to her level if not even with her. I don't think that would have worked if she were soloing the game.