Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How many attempts for your hybrid?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I thought it might be useful if we compared notes on how many attempts it has taken us to produce the known hybrids so far - to give us an idea how many failed attempts we should accept when experimenting, before moving on!

I didn't count for the blue variation of the ostrich, but he seems common, as does the Skull Island Macaw. I hit them both the first or second time, which seems to be what a lot of other people are finding; I expect they are a much more common result than the other four hybrids.

I counted carefully with those four, and here is how many it took me:
Grimtooth Reaper: 9 attempts
Tiger Shark: 15 attempts
Frostbiter: 6 attempts
Emusaur: 5 attempts

Since it is a random chance, this information individually is not particularly valuable (esp. since the chance to produce the hybrid may not be consistent between them). But the more people who have kept a count and report in, the better the chance that we can begin to obtain a feel for it.

Good luck to all of your Mighty Morphing Pirate Wranglers out there!!

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
Oh, good topic! I'm curious about the answers to this question.

One question though were you already hatching with the hybrid? Ex: emusaur + armadillo = emusaur

Or

Were you counting hatches with the parents? Ex: Ostrich + orchid chameleon = emusaur?

~Clumsy Calamity

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Indigo Ring on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
I thought it might be useful if we compared notes on how many attempts it has taken us to produce the known hybrids so far - to give us an idea how many failed attempts we should accept when experimenting, before moving on!

I didn't count for the blue variation of the ostrich, but he seems common, as does the Skull Island Macaw. I hit them both the first or second time, which seems to be what a lot of other people are finding; I expect they are a much more common result than the other four hybrids.

I counted carefully with those four, and here is how many it took me:
Grimtooth Reaper: 9 attempts
Tiger Shark: 15 attempts
Frostbiter: 6 attempts
Emusaur: 5 attempts

Since it is a random chance, this information individually is not particularly valuable (esp. since the chance to produce the hybrid may not be consistent between them). But the more people who have kept a count and report in, the better the chance that we can begin to obtain a feel for it.

Good luck to all of your Mighty Morphing Pirate Wranglers out there!!

-Indigo
Grimtooth: 25
Tiger Shark: 3
Frostbiter: 1 but I hatched with an adult Frostbiter
Emusaur: 15 (estimate)

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Calamity PixieShad... on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Oh, good topic! I'm curious about the answers to this question.

One question though were you already hatching with the hybrid? Ex: emusaur + armadillo = emusaur

Or

Were you counting hatches with the parents? Ex: Ostrich + orchid chameleon = emusaur?

~Clumsy Calamity
He'll probably answer this tonight, but I can tell you that he was counting hatches with parent species. Trust me -- I got to hear every ebon spectre, every NSGWS that hatched.

On the up side, it does help improve the DNA in the gene pool. On the down side (and I know this because I am currently awash in fail morph attempts) you end up with an awful lot of either of the two parents, which you then either have go drop off at home or quietly adopt out for some cash.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Calamity, in all of my efforts it was the base pets (orchid chameleon and ostrich, sabre-toothed bunny and thresher shark, etc.).

I suspect a lot of people who have been experimenting have not been keeping an count of efforts; hopefully we can encourage more to do so! And thanks for your contribution, Chrissy.

I have tried to organized experiments so far, which is what started me thinking about how many was enough before abandoning a pairing as unlikely. I went 20 morphs with orchid chameleons and ebon specters (although for the life of me I don't remember now the inspiration behind that pairing) and wound up with 11 OCs and 9 ESs but nothing else. Then I did 15 with No So Great Whites + LL Golems, also with no luck (in that case I was fishing for a mecha-shark like the one in the old godzilla movie).

-Indigo

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
ive found that hatching with my own pets produces the hybrids

Grimtooth: 4 before personal hatch, 1 personal hatch

Emusaur: 1 personal hatch

Tigershark: 1 personal hatch

Frostbiter: 2 personal hatches

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Emusaur seems to be the easiest to get, my Privy had just 4 attempts when she got hers. Now my Buc and Musk have one after only three attempts.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I do not want to talk about how many attempts I've made for an emusaur. But I'll count my orchid chameleons and blue ostriches tonight and consider admitting the number.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
That I have evidence for (and on only one pirate -- I've been trying on several) it took me 13 tries to get the emusaur. I know it was more -- I have sold I don't know how many blue ostriches and not so very good orchid chameleons.

Sort answer is: too many.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
The Emusaur seems to be the easiest to get, my Privy had just 4 attempts when she got hers. Now my Buc and Musk have one after only three attempts.
I got one. One on maybe eight pirates trying. The one that got it had over the reported 13 tries. I'd love to know your secret.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Grimtooth Reaper: 1 try per Grimtooth. I have two, and only morphed for each one once. The first I got hatching by myself, and the second I got hatching with another pirate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Grimtooth Reaper: 1 try per Grimtooth. I have two, and only morphed for each one once. The first I got hatching by myself, and the second I got hatching with another pirate.
ONE TRY *Cries* Not really, just being dramatic.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
ONE TRY *Cries* Not really, just being dramatic.
(Don't cry Chrissy, there's a party tonight!) What can I say? The Grimtooth is so tiny and cute! And creepy. Now, my quest for hybrids has turned to the Tiger Shark! All I need to do is level up my Thresher. Maybe I'll get lucky again?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Aug 5, 2014 wrote:
Okay. I have decided that if anyone wants a Grimtooth Reaper, tell me. I got another, again in one try. So that makes 3 tries for 3 Grimtooths.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
Okay. I have decided that if anyone wants a Grimtooth Reaper, tell me. I got another, again in one try. So that makes 3 tries for 3 Grimtooths.
Okay.Well,I do.Which is why,you are to hatch with me.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
The Hoodoo Master on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
Okay.Well,I do.Which is why,you are to hatch with me.
Aye, aye, captain! The 'Farwell to Summer' party is next weekend, are you going to that one? We could hatch then.

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
Four tries for my Grimtooth Reaper. I finally got it when I morphed with Misty

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
OK you need to stand at the entrance of the morphing tent REALLY close to the door so your insane luck can rub off on us as we enter for yet another try at finding a new hybrid.

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
Aye, aye, captain! The 'Farwell to Summer' party is next weekend, are you going to that one? We could hatch then.
Another party you say? Count me in!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
OK you need to stand at the entrance of the morphing tent REALLY close to the door so your insane luck can rub off on us as we enter for yet another try at finding a new hybrid.
I did break the Grimtooth streak last night though. I was in the Morphing Tent right when I logged on so I decided to randomly try for another. To my disappointment, I received a NSGWS. Next up on my list is an Emusaur, I'll report back when I start morphing for it. My Ostrich and Orchid Chameleon are both around level 25 as of right now.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Glitched Golden Dragon: 2 attempts. (Counting this because it is a technical "hybrid", although it will be fixed in the future.)

Grimtooth Reaper: 8 attempts.

Waiting to find a Hammerhead Shark to start work on the Frostbiter.

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
Oh, I got my golden sky rattler dragon first try. Didn't put it because I didn't know if it counted since it is a bug.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think I mentioned my Glitched Golden Dragon (hope they don't retroactively "fix" ours when they fix the glitch). I either hit it on the first or second attempt.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
Yay finally got some hybrids so I can add some info:

Emusaur: 17 hatches (hatched by myself) felt like more though
TigerShark: 3 hatches (hatched with a partner)
Golden Rattler: 1 hatch (hatched with an existing one though, not parents)

Still working on:

Grimtooth: 6 hatches and still going
Frostbiter: 3 hatches and still going

~Clumsy Calamity

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Thanks for the additional data, Calamity, and good luck with the remaining two.

-Indigo