Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Speculations on the Armada

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
Keep in mind,the note said:
I know how to defeat Kane,find me in Valencia,seek out Cagliostro
G.

For all we know Cagliostro could be a location.Or it may be Kingsisle's version of the real Cagliostro.

But when we do meet G,he might give us the most awesome puppet show.And I know that puppet show is already done,so I have a feeling we will enjoy it a lot...

And keep in mind,we haven't seen the last of Phule,we scared Bishop so much,he's getting upgrades,we'll be seeing Kane's fair lady at some point in the story.Not like we saw Phule,we'll be seeing her in her element,and maybe even in action!Wonder who of those three will cross paths with us.

Only Blind Mew knows,and Blind Mew does not say!
Imagine this scenario, The Hoodoo Master. We are in Valencia, pursuing information talking to an NPC; when they say "Look, the Supreme Commander has come to make a speech.." In the distance on a balcony we see the figure of Kane! He begins to speak. He praises the Valencians for their steadfast loyalty and reminds them how the Armada is solely responsible for their peace and prosperity, then he goes on to warn them of a upstart ragtag rabble from a so-called Republic of Pirates, and the danger they represent to Valencia. He ends his speech and leaves. We would finally be able to see and hear Kane, without engaging in battle! What do you think?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Well guys I was just on line to test my speculation as to the Lady Elite's name. If the game filtered out the word 'dame', then it couldn't possibly be her name. If I would be able to say it, however, that means that Dame is possibly her name. Successful result, I was able to say 'dame'. This doesn't mean it's her name, just makes it more possible. So I'm guessing her name is Dame
This would allow Ki to use an awful pun in a quest involving her: "There Ain't Nothin' Like a Dame"

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
Well guys I was just on line to test my speculation as to the Lady Elite's name. If the game filtered out the word 'dame', then it couldn't possibly be her name. If I would be able to say it, however, that means that Dame is possibly her name. Successful result, I was able to say 'dame'. This doesn't mean it's her name, just makes it more possible. So I'm guessing her name is Dame
This would allow Ki to use an awful pun in a quest involving her: "There Ain't Nothin' Like a Dame"
Excellent work Ancorbie, but did you check the pet names ? I'm not sure but I think Dame might be a title used when naming pets, ie Dame Maggie.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
Excellent work Ancorbie, but did you check the pet names ? I'm not sure but I think Dame might be a title used when naming pets, ie Dame Maggie.
Well, it's thanks to you, that I learned about testing a name that way. AND I did check just now to see if the title 'dame' was available for pets - it's not So my speculation has now become an hypothesis. I just have to wait to see if I'm right or wrong!

Ensign
Aug 10, 2009
I was just reading through this, and I thought about The Lady Elite. What if she's actually a human in disguise? Maybe even your Mother? A spy of the Resistance. When you meet her, she'll attack to play it off as the Armada's Queen, then help you out. The problem with her being your mother though is that you wouldn't recognize her, considering we lost our first 5 years of memory (Stupid Ophidian Oracles). However, I could be totally wrong and that be the complete opposite.

Also, about the Dame being filtered by chat, it could easily be a case where it will be allowed when that is her confirmed name, considering as that is how it is with W101 and Morganthe before Celestia.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Sh4rpBlade15 on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
I was just reading through this, and I thought about The Lady Elite. What if she's actually a human in disguise? Maybe even your Mother? A spy of the Resistance. When you meet her, she'll attack to play it off as the Armada's Queen, then help you out. The problem with her being your mother though is that you wouldn't recognize her, considering we lost our first 5 years of memory (Stupid Ophidian Oracles). However, I could be totally wrong and that be the complete opposite.

Also, about the Dame being filtered by chat, it could easily be a case where it will be allowed when that is her confirmed name, considering as that is how it is with W101 and Morganthe before Celestia.
I don't think it's possible for 'Dame' to be our mother - for one very good reason: if you remember the cave in the Valley of the Gold Monkey ( Gortez ). Our mother speaks to us " Find our graves, we are waiting for you" So, I do believe they are dead.
Since my wizards are still in Dragonspyre, I know nothing of what comes next. I've been having too much fun being a pirate!
ARRrrrrr

Ensign
Aug 10, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
I don't think it's possible for 'Dame' to be our mother - for one very good reason: if you remember the cave in the Valley of the Gold Monkey ( Gortez ). Our mother speaks to us " Find our graves, we are waiting for you" So, I do believe they are dead.
Since my wizards are still in Dragonspyre, I know nothing of what comes next. I've been having too much fun being a pirate!
ARRrrrrr
That is true, I forgot about the crystal, and I hope that someday Dragonspyre will actually have a better use than just a passage to Valencia.

However, I don't think her name will be Dame, look at Kane, the "king". Kane, King. Same first letter. It may not mean much, but Dame may not be her name, it may start with a "Q" as for Queen.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ok, I'm about to come out and place my big foot into my equally big mouth and say this:
The Lady Elite's name is Dame. She is a Swashbuckler, and she represents the knight on the chess board.
Whew! my face will be totally red, if I'm wrong about this! But that's the fun part of mysteries, solving them or finding out you're wrong; with a wonderful, last - minute revelation!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Sh4rpBlade15 on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
That is true, I forgot about the crystal, and I hope that someday Dragonspyre will actually have a better use than just a passage to Valencia.

However, I don't think her name will be Dame, look at Kane, the "king". Kane, King. Same first letter. It may not mean much, but Dame may not be her name, it may start with a "Q" as for Queen.
I would love to visit Dragonspyre/Avernus in a side quest or main storyline. I'm sticking to my hypothesis as to 'Dame', however. I don't think the fact that Kane and King have the same letter is very important. Besides the King piece in chess is very passive. The Queen piece is the most powerful, and that is why I believe she is not Queen but the knight ( female version: dame ).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
If you look in Bestia to the lovely poodle that gives us snacks, her title is Dame, Dame Abigail Downton. It is in the game now but who knows, it could be used more than once.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 23, 2014 wrote:
If you look in Bestia to the lovely poodle that gives us snacks, her title is Dame, Dame Abigail Downton. It is in the game now but who knows, it could be used more than once.
Oh drat it One lovely hypothesis with a massive hole in it ( rather like a Krispy Kreme donut )

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Sh4rpBlade15 on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:

One thing we know for sure about Kane,his mechanical maiden and their ''children'' is that none of them are humans,in disguise,nor that we are clockworks in human disguises nor anything like that.Though,I wouldn't be surprised if there was an awesome plot twist relating to our parents,and the Mysteries taking that part of our memory is certainly significant,as we wouldn't remember our parents,nor our mother's map piece.We traded one map piece for another,Argos's for our mother's.This is why we are gonna have one really fun adventure trying to find it.

And Anecorbie,I agree,that it is always possible for Kane to appear to inform the Valencians on Avery's new Pirate Republic,or us.I tend to envision Kane in his quarters,isolated from the outside world,doing his cryptic work.This is why I am overly excited to discover what Kane is so busy doing!Is anyone else?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Jun 23, 2014 wrote:
One thing we know for sure about Kane,his mechanical maiden and their ''children'' is that none of them are humans,in disguise,nor that we are clockworks in human disguises nor anything like that.Though,I wouldn't be surprised if there was an awesome plot twist relating to our parents,and the Mysteries taking that part of our memory is certainly significant,as we wouldn't remember our parents,nor our mother's map piece.We traded one map piece for another,Argos's for our mother's.This is why we are gonna have one really fun adventure trying to find it.

And Anecorbie,I agree,that it is always possible for Kane to appear to inform the Valencians on Avery's new Pirate Republic,or us.I tend to envision Kane in his quarters,isolated from the outside world,doing his cryptic work.This is why I am overly excited to discover what Kane is so busy doing!Is anyone else?
Yes, 'making progress with the Celestian computations', he must be a wizard in Math!

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
I am kinda scared the armada story line will end soon, we are going through the main members of the armada too quickly, after we kill phule and the lady then all that's left is kane! Get more armada bad guys KI. I love killing armada, I think a big problem for us getting the map is our parents had a piece and they are dead. But anyway ya I think the lady will be a swashbuckler but I think phule will be either a privateer or witchdoctor, he looks like he is holding a wand. We need more bosses......

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
icewizard6589 on Jun 25, 2014 wrote:
I am kinda scared the armada story line will end soon, we are going through the main members of the armada too quickly, after we kill phule and the lady then all that's left is kane! Get more armada bad guys KI. I love killing armada, I think a big problem for us getting the map is our parents had a piece and they are dead. But anyway ya I think the lady will be a swashbuckler but I think phule will be either a privateer or witchdoctor, he looks like he is holding a wand. We need more bosses......
Thanks for the post icewizard. No, I don't think we have anything to worry about ( in regards to not having enough enemies to fight ). Bishop is the witchdoctor of the group, so I'm guessing Phule will be a privateer. I think we'll need a lot more levels before we're fit to fight Kane! Besides, we need to find two more pieces to the map and get to El Dorado before the Armada!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Just for giggles, I'm going to combine some of the way-out speculations into one giant, weird, never-gonna-happen speculation:
The Armada is good and heroic, Kane has sent his spies, Boochbeard and Gandry, to keep an eye on us because he is our father ( and he's the Toymaker, also ). The Elites are our long - lost brothers and sister. Too bad we destroyed Deacon, ( but that's Captain Avery's fault. ) We will be reunited in El Dorado ( which is a fantasy theme park ) and live happily ever after. That last part is my own invention!

Ensign
Jul 10, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
I wonder if Kane or any of the Armada have a secret off button like Data did?
It says in the puppet show for the Armada that don't have an off switch, but I think it would be pretty funny if we just walked into a room and there was a switch that was turned on, and all we had to do was turn it off the whole time.

On your Dame theory, Anecorbie, Dame Abagail Downtown seems to be the only NPC with the name Dame.I wouldn't say that totally discredits your theory since she is such a minor character. Also, in the old Kane's Court thread, Virtuous Anne Radcliffe mentioned that the female elite seems to be wearing 18th century riding gear, and riding is like horses, and knights ride horses, and the knight piece in chess is usually a horse.

Oh, and is baronet the female version of baron?

Ivette Xavier, Oracle

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
that is true, and I am guessing one of the worlds we will get a piece from that woman um something the read that was in the picture and the armada boss will be phule, then the next world the boss will most likely be the female swashbuckler armada boss. Though the one thing I am wondering about is how we get a piece from our dead parents. That should be interesting.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Haley MoonHeart on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
It says in the puppet show for the Armada that don't have an off switch, but I think it would be pretty funny if we just walked into a room and there was a switch that was turned on, and all we had to do was turn it off the whole time.

On your Dame theory, Anecorbie, Dame Abagail Downtown seems to be the only NPC with the name Dame.I wouldn't say that totally discredits your theory since she is such a minor character. Also, in the old Kane's Court thread, Virtuous Anne Radcliffe mentioned that the female elite seems to be wearing 18th century riding gear, and riding is like horses, and knights ride horses, and the knight piece in chess is usually a horse.

Oh, and is baronet the female version of baron?

Ivette Xavier, Oracle
Thank you about reminding me about Anne Radcliffe's insightful post! That gives me some hope. Baronet is masculine, a non-inheiriting title. ( in other words, the oldest son doesn't get the title when his dad dies ). Female version of baron is baroness.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
Ahoy, fellow pirates! I have been reading a lot of posts regarding the nature of the Armada. Whether they are as evil as portrayed, if there is a sentient being actually in control or even if Kane or other clockworks are humans in disguise.
I would like to throw my speculations into the ring. Starting with classes - we know of three of the elite's classes; Deacon was a Musketeer ( now defunct, hurray! ) Bishop is a Witchdoctor, though his 'magic' seems to be technology based, & Rooke is a Buccaneer. That leaves the Lady Elite, Phule and Kane.

I'm guessing that Phule may be a Privateer. I say this for two reasons: he seems to have an imagination, something lacking in the other Elites we've seen. And his 'dual' personality which would allow him to understand his enemy's mental processes. I believe both these aspects are critical for a privateer.

The Lady Elite, I see as a Swashbuckler. She would be deadly, agile and dodgy, have sneak attacks and poisons ( very much like the Countess DeWinter in Dumas' The Three Musketeers ).

Now for Kane - I believe he will be an Uber Class, combining all tricks and cheats from every class. Very suitable for one of whom we are told "Smarter, faster and stronger than any living being."

My Final speculation I state unequvilately: The Armada is Evil, Kane is in full control, The Elite have gained self awareness and intelligence, & there are no humans in disguise.

Feel free to disagree and state your own speculations, I'm eager to hear your views.
(As I finally get around to responding... )

I certainly agree with those speculations, Esperanza, and it is always lots of fun to make hypotheses about the evil yet ever fascinating Armada. I have to admit as soon as I saw the Lady Elite, the Countess DeWinter leaped to mind... possibly because the Three Musketeers was one of my favorite books and possibly because I think of my character Anne as sort of a cross between a more even-tempered d'Artagnan & Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice). But the Lady Elite as 'Milady' -- a cunning, nasty poisoner and expert swordswoman -- there's a villainess to make Dumas proud. Mind you, she could also be a privateer. But, as you say, the 'female' Armada we have encountered --so far-- are all swashbucklers, which makes me think that Kane considers the female form to be particularly suitable for maximum agility and dexterity.

As for who is control of the Armada? I believe too that a major theme here is the essential irony of a creation turning on its creators (the "New Prometheus" comes to mind). Most Valencians believe that the Armada is their devoted servant, while in reality...

And are they a result of simply artificial intelligence? Are they robots who have gained sentience? In a Spiral where magic is so abundant, I would venture to say, no, they are not merely self-aware robots. Something else has contributed to their sentient development, whether magic, alchemy, mechanics, or all of the above and maybe more. Thus, did the Toymaker make Kane alone? Or was it more like the Immortals creating Pandora, the ultimate in Perfection that leads to disaster. More irony, if so

But my burning question about the Armada is: what gives them a semblance of life and energy? Animal creatures need to eat, photosynthetic creatures need sunlight, all of us living creatures need water, but what does the Armada need? What powers the Armada? Somehow I doubt they have to wind themselves up every day, though you never know...

Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
I've been viewing some absolutely luscious gowns from the 18th century! Anne Radcliffe is right about their beauty * sigh * So I'm hoping that The Lady Elite ( gosh, I hope we learn her name soon ) drops her gear when/if we defeat her; for guys of course a masculine version of her clothes. I'm wishing that the gear she drops will benefit swashbucklers.
And, of course Kane would drop his own gear.
So what kind of stats should this gear have?
I think that Kane's gear would be different for each class and it would give bonuses that your class would need(each class would get a health bonus), and i know it wouldn't make much sense for witchdoctors but this is just an idea

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mr goose on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
I think that Kane's gear would be different for each class and it would give bonuses that your class would need(each class would get a health bonus), and i know it wouldn't make much sense for witchdoctors but this is just an idea
Thank you for your post and welcome to the message boards WROV! Yes, Kane's gear is sure to be very powerful!

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:

I certainly agree with those speculations, Esperanza, and it is always lots of fun to make hypotheses about the evil yet ever fascinating Armada. I have to admit as soon as I saw the Lady Elite, the Countess DeWinter leaped to mind... possibly because the Three Musketeers was one of my favorite books and possibly because I think of my character Anne as sort of a cross between a more even-tempered d'Artagnan & Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice). But the Lady Elite as 'Milady' -- a cunning, nasty poisoner and expert swordswoman -- there's a villainess to make Dumas proud. Mind you, she could also be a privateer. But, as you say, the 'female' Armada we have encountered --so far-- are all swashbucklers, which makes me think that Kane considers the female form to be particularly suitable for maximum agility and dexterity.

As for who is control of the Armada? I believe too that a major theme here is the essential irony of a creation turning on its creators (the "New Prometheus" comes to mind). Most Valencians believe that the Armada is their devoted servant, while in reality...

And are they a result of simply artificial intelligence? Are they robots who have gained sentience? In a Spiral where magic is so abundant, I would venture to say, no, they are not merely self-aware robots. Something else has contributed to their sentient development, whether magic, alchemy, mechanics, or all of the above and maybe more. Thus, did the Toymaker make Kane alone? Or was it more like the Immortals creating Pandora, the ultimate in Perfection that leads to disaster. More irony, if so

But my burning question about the Armada is: what gives them a semblance of life and energy? Animal creatures need to eat, photosynthetic creatures need sunlight, all of us living creatures need water, but what does the Armada need? What powers the Armada? Somehow I doubt they have to wind themselves up every day, though you never know...
I, for a long time have though of the possibility of the clockworks being self-winding clockworks.
An actual huge advancement in terms of clockwork, a self winding clockwork stay wound simply through movement.
So as long as the armada keeps moving often enough, they stay wound.But if they should ever stop moving for too long, they would wind down, and possibly stop functioning.

However, I also consider that a lot of magic went into the construction of Kane and the clockworks. Everything in the spiral has a certain amount of magic imbued in it.

But, have you ever noticed, that Bishop is the only clockwork to have a winding key? Although I know he uses it for his staff, but still, he has a winding key.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 29, 2014 wrote:

Yes, I can just see them, standing in line conga style and the sound of a ratcheting from a clockwork key being wound.... I have enjoyed reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or the New Prometheus. How Victor Frankenstein attempted to create a new mankind, then repulsed by his flawed creation, abandoned him. Could this be Kane's case? As you also mention in another post Kane could also be Cain ( and he was the oldest son of Adam and Eve ). I believe Kane was the original, and the Toymaker, perhaps worried about his too perfect creation, refused to make more Elites? Leaving it to Kane to replicate himself. Smarter-Bishop, Stronger-Rooke and Faster ( Dame or Phule, maybe? )
What fuels our ships, and where does it come from? Organic like whale oil or an inorganic resource like fossil fuel? Is it this that fuels the Armada? But eventually they would run out of 'gas'. A magical source would explain 'we never tire, we do not stop, ever..' But no energy source is infinite. I believe we may have just discovered a paradox.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Or maybe they are a version of Undead? Maybe a new term would be Unliving?