Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion tasks?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 26, 2010
So, I've reset most of my companions, and trained most of them in the "officer" ability, yet keel hauling is only an option to the new companion and the Shiruku (who I just got). Is this a bug or did I miss something? If so I'd like those ability points back since they are doing me absolutely no good if the companions I trained for officer can't actually use the ability.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
vampkaterinara on May 15, 2014 wrote:
So, I've reset most of my companions, and trained most of them in the "officer" ability, yet keel hauling is only an option to the new companion and the Shiruku (who I just got). Is this a bug or did I miss something? If so I'd like those ability points back since they are doing me absolutely no good if the companions I trained for officer can't actually use the ability.
One thing that you might want to look at is how many Companion Training Points/Tomes you already have. If you have 10 or more you can not use companions to perform the Keel Haulin' task to gain extra tomes (kind of like you can't buy any from the vendor if you have 10+ already). It appears as if that task is only helpful if you have less than 10 tomes/CTP.

I made the same uninformed mistake of training a couple of 'lesser' companions in the "Officer" field as well. I already had 167 CTP and did not know at all that you couldn't use Keel Haulin' if you had 10+ CTP. So I had to reset those companions again with gold to better distribute their talents.

I think a pop up warning/notification when you scroll over it during the companion resets and talent distribution process-, that let's us know that companions on that task can't bring in extra tomes if you are already at 10+, would be nice....it would save some time and gold. There is that warning when you scroll over Keel Haulin' when you are assigning companions tasks (plus it gets locked out), but by then you may have already reset companions and distributed the talents with out knowing about the '10+ rule'

Developer
vampkaterinara on May 15, 2014 wrote:
Two things must be true for Keel-Hauling to unlock:

1) The companion you want to send Keel-Hauling must be at or above your level (ie, they no longer need any training of their own);

2) You cannot have 10 or more training tomes stashed away already.

Solution:

Spend the training tomes you have to max out your Officer companions, and they'll be able to make tomes for you.

Addendum:

If Brawling appears in the list of orders, it means that companion needs to train more himself before he will offer to go Keel-Hauling.

If Keel-Hauling appears in the list of orders but it has a lock on it, mouse over the lock to find out what's keeping it locked.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on May 15, 2014 wrote:
Two things must be true for Keel-Hauling to unlock:

1) The companion you want to send Keel-Hauling must be at or above your level (ie, they no longer need any training of their own);

2) You cannot have 10 or more training tomes stashed away already.

Solution:

Spend the training tomes you have to max out your Officer companions, and they'll be able to make tomes for you.

Addendum:

If Brawling appears in the list of orders, it means that companion needs to train more himself before he will offer to go Keel-Hauling.

If Keel-Hauling appears in the list of orders but it has a lock on it, mouse over the lock to find out what's keeping it locked.
Thanks for that info Ratbeard, I didn't know about the companions having to be at or above your level in order to even have the option of Keel-Haulin'- probably due to me not fully getting up to speed on all of the updates.

I still wonder if there is something that can be done during the Reset and Talent distribution process that lets us know that if we choose Officer as a Talent to gain Keel-Haulin' as a Task- that our companion will only be able to take advantage of it if we have less than 10 Companion Training Points/Tomes. That way, we don't spend the Talents, and gold on having to reset again if we choose, before we find out about the 10+ limitation.

Like maybe when you go to select Officer as a Talent it can say that "This Talent will only be able to be used if you have less than 10 CTPs". For those that have many tomes, it may influence them to choose another more useful/beneficial Talent- at least until they decide to use up a lot of tomes and then decide to possibly reset and gain the benefit of Officer/Keel-Haulin'.

Just curious to read your thoughts on this and as always, I appreciate any feedback or response.

Oh, and to anyone else that read Ratbeard's post....am I the only on that got a chuckle when he wrote "mouse over the lock". Probably just me, oh well!