Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Need more social interaction during battles

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 23, 2012
One of the biggest differences between P101 and W101 is the amount of time you have for interacting with and talking to other players during quests and battles. This is one of the aspects of P101 that I find quite disappointing when compared to W101. For me, talking to and getting to know the other players is a big part of why I play on-line games; in W101, at least for me, over 90% of that social interaction occurs *during* battles.

In P101, the mob and boss battles are more complex than in W101 (and therefore more interesting to execute in most cases), but the down-side is that you have almost zero time available to chat with other players. In fact, other players in your battle tend to slow you down which unfortunately often trains us to avoid battling with other players altogether. (This is very different than in W101, where having other players in your battles is almost always beneficial.) Ship battles are no better even when you are fighting with a wolf-pack; you spend all your time just staring at those small icons in the lower corner waiting for the timers to count down and have no time to type anything even remotely interesting -- I've fought with the same group literally for hours before with no time for interactions other than short phrases like "boss here" or "cool drop".

I don't know how to fix this, but it is definitely one of the key reasons I get bored with P101 much faster than I do with W101. In W101, I know that I can log on at almost any time and enjoy friendly and interesting chats with other players while farming or questing if I want to. In P101, it would be great if somehow the same level of social interaction could be implemented. (In looking over the previews of the new up-coming content, I haven't seen anything that appears to directly address these social aspects.)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Froggacuda on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
One of the biggest differences between P101 and W101 is the amount of time you have for interacting with and talking to other players during quests and battles. This is one of the aspects of P101 that I find quite disappointing when compared to W101. For me, talking to and getting to know the other players is a big part of why I play on-line games; in W101, at least for me, over 90% of that social interaction occurs *during* battles.

In P101, the mob and boss battles are more complex than in W101 (and therefore more interesting to execute in most cases), but the down-side is that you have almost zero time available to chat with other players. In fact, other players in your battle tend to slow you down which unfortunately often trains us to avoid battling with other players altogether. (This is very different than in W101, where having other players in your battles is almost always beneficial.) Ship battles are no better even when you are fighting with a wolf-pack; you spend all your time just staring at those small icons in the lower corner waiting for the timers to count down and have no time to type anything even remotely interesting -- I've fought with the same group literally for hours before with no time for interactions other than short phrases like "boss here" or "cool drop".

I don't know how to fix this, but it is definitely one of the key reasons I get bored with P101 much faster than I do with W101. In W101, I know that I can log on at almost any time and enjoy friendly and interesting chats with other players while farming or questing if I want to. In P101, it would be great if somehow the same level of social interaction could be implemented. (In looking over the previews of the new up-coming content, I haven't seen anything that appears to directly address these social aspects.)
Interesting observations. I understand the ship fight constraints too. Those little icons and numbers do tend to take all your focus and I miss a lot of cool effects trying to look a both at once and if I focus on getting a great screenshot then I just have to let my ship be vulnerable because I just cannot pay attention to numbers, and do the hand gymnastics required for me to set up a screenshot with this laptop. Chatting too during that, no way lol.
I do know that Jack mentioned they are working on some chat box issues like all your chat getting erased if a pop up box shows up like a friend request or all your chat getting erased every time you go through a doorway, like if you are chatting while traveling on a ship or as a passenger on a ship and your captain docks in the middle of a sentence you are typing and "It's gone!" So a lot of the issues will be resolved when they get that fixed. During land battles though I don't have much problem communicating though. There is rarely time during the selection phase as am busy making decisions but as our choices play out I am generally chatting away.

Developer
Thanks for the post, Froggacuda.

We agree, and we're working on solutions.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Froggacuda on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:

My friends and me discuss strategy before we actually fight. One common example is Zeena fires. My friend says that they would put Zeena fires at round X and then I should not use a scatterblast or something. Another thing I do is to tell everyone to come near me during low health or at the start of the battle, and I would use my team hide.

Of course, the interaction between strangers and unfortunately those non-text guys are poor. I agree with you, there needs to be better communication with players in battle, but also better communication across all 3 types of chat.