Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Question about how buff spells work

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Apr 27, 2012
I have a couple of questions for you veterans about buff spells:

1. Does the spell such as +50 will or agility work on all of the companions involved in a fight?
2. How long do the buffs work in a fight? For example, is it for only one round or till the end of the engagement?
3. Since we have to use up one round to cast them, are they worth casting over damage spells? I am a witchdoctor by the way,.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
!) You might want to get the answer from Ratbeard.

2) The Juju series tells you how long it is. And in battle, just lay the arrow on a character. it will show you the buffs or debuffs with a number next to them.

3) I believe that using buffs first will be a priority. It will increase the relentless/bursts/mojo echo chances. I forgot what else it does, but it does make criticals appear more the way I see it.

Golden Chris Silver- Level 61 Witchdoctor

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
sandy20850 on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:

1. Does the spell such as +50 will or agility work on all of the companions involved in a fight?
2. How long do the buffs work in a fight? For example, is it for only one round or till the end of the engagement?
3. Since we have to use up one round to cast them, are they worth casting over damage spells? I am a witchdoctor by the way,.
since your a witchdoctor I will assume your talking about the buff power known as juju.

Unlike other buffs (Agility buff from musketeer line for example) juj only applies to the companions around you at the moment.

Buffs have a variety of how long they last (If I remember correctly there is a timer that says how many rounds it lasts on the actual power)

and for the last question ABSOLUTELY, buffs are very useful and it just so happens that juju is one of the best buffs

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
1. Primary stat buffs raise the indicated stat on every unit on your team that is adjacent to the caster and any unit on your team that uses that stat for weapon damage. JuJu spells raise the prime stat used for weapon damage of every unit adjacent to the caster only. The buff is the unit's unmodified (excluding gear, buffs and talents) primary stat times 0.5 or times 1, added to the present value.
2. Buff and Debuff durations are written on the Power card in the top left corner. Prime stat buffs have either 5 or 10 round duration.
3. Yes, in my opinion, especially the 10 round Duration buffs, assuming you can buff to affect most of your units. Prime stats effect offensively and defensively, so if the stat is either the damage stat of the affected unit or the unit that attacks that unit, he benefits.
4. Buffing a prime stat has two effects we can use Will as an example:
a. Raises or Lowers damage of each attack by (Attacker Will - Defender Will / 5) points
b. Raises or Lowers the chance of Burst Fire/Relentless/Mojo Echo by up to 25%
*. Critical strike power card attack seems to be an exception, the Prime Stat bonus is left out.

Ratbeard, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. I tested Kan Po's Crit Strike +3 card over months of farming Moo Manchu in the tomb of Kow Cheng, farming for Moo's wand.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

1) If you see something over a companion's head after you throw out a buff, be it words or a picture of something, that companion will benefit from what you just cast. Some will affect all like El Toro's accuracy buff and some will only affect those who can actually use it. If you do a will buff, only those who have will as their main power will gain from it.

2) Each one shows on the card how many rounds it lasts for. Just look for a number in the corner of the card usually beside an hourglass.

On number 3 I am not sure if you mean buffs or a damage over time hit so I'll try to look at it both ways. If it is a buff then the caster doesn't get to use it in the first round unless an epic is triggered like vengeance strike or riposte. If it triggers after you cast it then you also are using that buff. Every one that benefits from your buff on your team gets to use it right away as they are behind you in the turn. So they are using it right away.
If it is a damage over time hit then the damage starts right away, sometimes you don't see it until it is time for the bad guys to start their side of the turn, then you see your damage hit. Poison is a good example of this. You see the animation but no damage, then when the other side steps up to hit you back, you see the poisoned ones all flinch as your first round of damage takes hold. So it does start in that turn and makes it worth it in my opinion.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010

1. I think you may be confused. Juju, for example, states that it takes 25% of your current strength/ agility/ will, and adds it to the total. So Great Juju would double your stat, since it states that it takes 100% and adds it to 100% (your stat before)
2. Buffs work as long as they are listed. For example, Juju works for 5 rounds, because it is stated on the card that it works for 5 rounds.
3. They are worth casting. Damage is directly increased by stats. So a Ghostwail cast before a Juju will do less than one cast after.

-Gbalance101, out!

Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
1. Powers that boost your will, strength, or agility increase all companions standing next to the caster as well as the caster. Unless you are using a Juju power, all companions that deal damage based on the stat boost you cast will be affected regardless of range. (So lets say you use a Calm the Troops, a will boosting power. Old Scratch is a Witchdoctor, a user of will, so he will be affected by the power no matter how far he is from you. Ratbeard and Bonnie Anne would have to stand next to you to get the will boost since they don't attack with will. If you use Juju, your companions will always have to be next to you to get a boost.)

2. Buffs say how long they last in the upper left corner of the card. Most of them last for five or ten rounds though.

3. Juju is always a great power to have, but it should be prioritized since your companions will have to be next to you, and you don't want them to stand their like sitting ducks while you wait for it to show up. Juju doesn't work like other stat boosts, but only because of its ability to boost the stat of any companion. For example, any strength using companions would get strength, and any agility using companions would get agility. Boosting the stat your companions deal damage with increases their damage in addition to the Relentless/Burst Fire/Mojo Echo rate. I highly suggest using it.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
I have a great guide on Pirate101Central that should answer your questions. Click here for the guide

Buffs or Debuffs all have a duration which can be seen on the left top corner of the power card. Some last as short as 2 rounds, others last as long as 10!