Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Are companion points limited?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 12, 2014
I am fairly new to the game, and I understand that you get companion points by leveling up, and by buying them, to level up the many companions you get throughout the game.

I was wondering though, is there a limited amount of these points? Will there be enough points so that I can level all of my companions up to the highest level? Since I am at a low level now, I want to refrain from spending these precious points on companions I will not use later.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Gamer4234 on Jan 15, 2014 wrote:
I am fairly new to the game, and I understand that you get companion points by leveling up, and by buying them, to level up the many companions you get throughout the game.

I was wondering though, is there a limited amount of these points? Will there be enough points so that I can level all of my companions up to the highest level? Since I am at a low level now, I want to refrain from spending these precious points on companions I will not use later.
There is not a limit to the amount you can have via levelling up, however, if you buy them, you can only have 10 at a time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Welcome to the message board family Gamer 4234 . You can buy up to 10 at one time but if you earn them and already have your 10 the level will build higher than that.
The price for the points goes up every time you level so I always try to have my 10 bought before I level. At the lower levels it is fairly easy to keep all your companions at your level but as you get into the high teens and 20 or so it just gets too expensive.
Here is what I do: I always keep my first mate at my level even though I know it will cost 3 or 4 tomes to do it. Then my strongest fighters (The ones with the most epics) I level them when they are far enough behind that one tome will bring them up one level. You will discover that the further behind you a companion is the bigger a boost one tome will give them. The companions that are weaker (only one or two epics), I level them when they are able to get at least 2 levels per tome. Even at this rate you will sometimes have to stop and farm to get the gold to keep them at a reasonable level. Until you can put some to sleep, (this happens at higher levels, you will earn sleep tokens and will gradually earn up to 3 of them, at this point in the level cap) It is a good idea to keep all that are active reasonably trained as those 1% ones have a surprising way of slipping into your battles more than you would expect them to.

Yes training is really expensive at higher levels but the game developers have promised us that they are working on something to make this easier for us. We just need to be a bit patient as those improvements happen one step at a time.

As long as the companion isn't asleep no training is wasted since they can show up in battle at any time. I show a bit of favoritism with the strong ones and my favorites so they are always ready when a boss fight comes up and I have a good strong roster to chose from when I get to chose who fights.

Trust me you don't want to get caught in a fight with some strong baddies and have a companion show up that is 25 levels below you. (Yes some players do this) Then they are calling for help and whining that the bosses are 'too hard'. If you do the work bit by bit and stop once in a while to beef up your crew and your nautical xp so you can have good strong ships that can be equipped, your game play will be oh so much more enjoyable and fun.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
There is through leveling up but doing side quests that give you tomes and buying them from the professors in taverns means you will be able to but beware the more tomes you buy the higher the cost to buy another one mine is at 2355gold at the start its 300 gold so you can get a few when you um don't want to ruin story for you ok that's enough before I tell you the whole game

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012

With one of my characters I have over 50 companion points. So you can at least get that many if there is a limit. On a separate character where I level companions (all of them) as I level, they are all nearly level 65, just requires a significant amount of gold to purchase companion points.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012

There is no limit to the number of companion points you can spend or keep stored. You can only buy training tomes until you have 10 companion points stored, though. As Chrissy stated, this brings up a wealth of information we experienced pirates have learned and deduced. Here's a URL with my full answer:

**Edit by One-Eyed Jack -- Sorry, that link was leading to page that said, "Invalid Group Discussion specified."

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
There is through leveling up but doing side quests that give you tomes and buying them from the professors in taverns means you will be able to but beware the more tomes you buy the higher the cost to buy another one mine is at 2355gold at the start its 300 gold so you can get a few when you um don't want to ruin story for you ok that's enough before I tell you the whole game
Just to clarify your great tip. The price doesn't go up based on the amount of tomes you have. It goes up every time you level.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Hello Gamer4234 and welcome!

I don't believe that there are any limits on how many companion points your pirate can have. I have had I believe as much as 87 before I started using them. In fact if you check out under Fan Sites at the bottom of the January Newsletter , you will see that one pirate completed a challenge to finish the entire game without using a single companion point. If you click on the link in the newsletter it will take you to Pirate101Centralforums , and you will see that when that pirate finished the game he/she had accumulated 221 companion points.

Community Leader
On at least one of my pirates, I made sure they were all trained up as of level 8 (ie Presidio), and then only trained them when my pirate was 9 or more levels ahead of them.

This did make some of the battles quite a bit more difficult, but having been playing through closed beta, I was up for the challenge. Thanks to a friend here and there, that lent a hand when I was in trouble! ;)

Having done this however proved to be a fun challenge, and had a couple other outcomes...

1. Gold - I had all sorts of gold for gear, ships, etc. (since I was not spending it on purchasing training tomes)
2. Each tome I did have would train a companion (that is 9 levels below your pirate), 3 levels. This made tome usage quite a bit more efficient.

I did this until I hit the level cap, which at that time was level 50.
At that point I had well over 100 training tomes accumulated, and was able to train ALL of my companions except 3 up to my pirates level (level 50) (matter of fact I only had to buy 12 more tomes to make them ALL level 50).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Here's a copy of the message I couldn't seem to link into my previous post:
We all want to beat the bad guys fairly easily and move on.
Gold helps us buy gear, ships and training tomes (books) to do that.
So we need to have strategies to allow us to buy that stuff at the right time.
1. Shared Bank
In your flat there is a bank, with a (personal) bank, and a shared bank,
which allows you to pass most items between your pirates.
This is one of the reasons most of us have five pirates, one of each class.
If an item you acquire is only useful to another pirate class, you can give
it to another pirate in your account (only).
Of course, you can also give them items that you have outgrown including
ship parts to sell or use themselves.
2. Companion Management
a. Buy training tomes early. Their price rises every level.
If this is a second pirate, pass items for him from a senior pirate at second level, make a friend and teleport to him in lower skull island. Then buy up ten books in the tavern before you ever cross the bridge.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
b. Return on Book Investment.
Wait until your companion will advance two levels for each book before giving him a tome (5 levels behind you). Once you have a large crew you may want to wait until a less desirable companion will get three levels for a book (9 levels behind you). There is a table in the companions section, but he gets two levels when you give a book to a companion who is five levels behind you, and three levels when he is nine levels behind. Waiting longer than that will net a higher return, but occasionally these companions will show up in a fight and you may lose that fight because he is so useless. Once you bench a companion, he will never show up in combat again, unless you select him in an Epic Battle so you don't have to give him any more training tomes. Bear in mind that some of the "worst" crew can train Witch Hunter epic talent. These are the ones I train up and bench until special circumstances arise, then I give them the top spots on my crew roster.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
c. Do Not Recruit Side Quest Companions Until You Reach the Level Cap.
A newly recruited companion's level will always be one to three levels above yours when you recruit him, depending on who he is. After you pass him, you must train him up with books.
These guys always have less epic abilities and talents than the core companions who have speaking parts, and are usually relegated to the bottom of your crew list eventually anyway.
Once you are at the maximum level, currently 65, You can recruit him and he will be an asset to your crew, without the expense of training him with books.
I even wait until I am maximum level before picking up storyline quest characters at the end of current content, so that they will be more effective in PvP. But that wastes experience points. Zeena and Samocles are currently the only exceptions to this trend (they're good).
In the quest menu there will be a picture of the new charachter on the bottom of the quest card for the quest that allows you to recruit him, so just don't do that side quest until you are ready for him to join your crew.
If you accidently pick up a side quest companion before you are ready, just hit the back button to the beginning of that dialogue and go to 'select pirate' and don't complete the dialogue. This will close the quest dialogue without the quest being completed and after you come back into play with that pirate, he will still be available when you are ready.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
d. Bank Your Book Quests
Skip side quests that reward you with books until you are one less than maximum level and have at least 10 books saved up. The books are worth 8000 gold at 65th level, so this allows you to buy them cheaper once you run out (somwhere in Aquila for me).
3. Ships
Ships are necessary to quickly finish ship quests.
They are also a good place to put your money before you can buy more books. When I get close to the gold cap, 200,000 gold, I buy the next ship I will need, before I can use it, so that I keep getting paid on the quests I am doing. Besides, You cannot pass ships through the shared bank, so you will eventually want to buy them anyway. Don't buy every ship, but I typically buy every galleon except maybe the pirate origin galleon.
You get four free ships in the game, and they are barely adequate for completing ship quests without boarding when you get them.
Sinking the enemy with ship's weapons instead of hand to hand will gain you ship parts that are better than any you can buy at the dock, so fight the ship bosses and turrets to get the best parts when you are sinking ships to raise your nautical level.
4. Farming
I never farm just for gold. I farm for gear and ship parts, and the gold comes with them. Friar Sand at the Temple of the East Wind, in MooShu, is currently the best boss to gold farm, and he drops some nice 45th level gear. The game is currently easy enough to beat, even with your crew 4 levels behind you, and you get a lot of great gear that you can pass through the shared bank, so farming is really the most reasonable, for members, after you max out your 5 pirates.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:
Just to clarify your great tip. The price doesn't go up based on the amount of tomes you have. It goes up every time you level.
Okay thanks for that