Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Holiday Memories!

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello everyone

With Christmas being nearly at our doorsteps, I sit here reminiscing about so many fond Christmas memories from my childhood. That lead me to think that it would be nice to read some of my fellow pirates' cherished memories from Christmases past. To sit and share in the yuletide spirit only seems fitting with Christmas only a day away. Also I do not wish to exclude anyone so please share any stories and fond memories from Hanukah, Kwanza or any other holidays you may celebrate during this festive time of the year.

For me, I will always remember the Christmases as a child when there was actually snow on the ground. My sister and I would wake up at 'way-too-early o'clock' and nearly die from excitement as we struggled mightily to remain in our rooms. The presents would come and go in a unrelenting fury and before the wrapping paper hit the floor we were bundled up and out in the snow. It wouldn't be long before several of the neighborhood kids would be behind our house and the fun would rain down like the snowflakes themselves. We would build snowmen and snow forts, make snow angels and sled like there was no tomorrow.

I remember one particular time sledding in my back yard. We had a fence around our yard and we would always leave the gate open so that we could exit the yard and hit the woods behind the house. We would race down the ravines, dips and hills, leaving nothing but dust, flames and chaos behind us- or at least that is what we thought. This one time as I flew down the hill, Griswald style, on a saucer I missed my turn (as if you can truly steer those things anyways), left the track and headed straight for a tree, that so rudely did not offer to move out of the way. As I careened past the tree a branch nearly took my noggin off and to this day I can still remember looking back to see my hat hanging from that branch.

After that, as always, we would head in for some much deserved hot cocoa with marshmallows and sit by a fire and then proceed to dig into our new stash of toys. What a great memory for me

I would love to hear some of your fond memories as well. So please feel free to share but hold on just a sec ............. had to go grab a nice hot cup of cocoa- with marshmallows of course. Now please continue

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
Hello everyone

With Christmas being nearly at our doorsteps, I sit here reminiscing about so many fond Christmas memories from my childhood. That lead me to think that it would be nice to read some of my fellow pirates' cherished memories from Christmases past. To sit and share in the yuletide spirit only seems fitting with Christmas only a day away. Also I do not wish to exclude anyone so please share any stories and fond memories from Hanukah, Kwanza or any other holidays you may celebrate during this festive time of the year.

For me, I will always remember the Christmases as a child when there was actually snow on the ground. My sister and I would wake up at 'way-too-early o'clock' and nearly die from excitement as we struggled mightily to remain in our rooms. The presents would come and go in a unrelenting fury and before the wrapping paper hit the floor we were bundled up and out in the snow. It wouldn't be long before several of the neighborhood kids would be behind our house and the fun would rain down like the snowflakes themselves. We would build snowmen and snow forts, make snow angels and sled like there was no tomorrow.

I remember one particular time sledding in my back yard. We had a fence around our yard and we would always leave the gate open so that we could exit the yard and hit the woods behind the house. We would race down the ravines, dips and hills, leaving nothing but dust, flames and chaos behind us- or at least that is what we thought. This one time as I flew down the hill, Griswald style, on a saucer I missed my turn (as if you can truly steer those things anyways), left the track and headed straight for a tree, that so rudely did not offer to move out of the way. As I careened past the tree a branch nearly took my noggin off and to this day I can still remember looking back to see my hat hanging from that branch.

After that, as always, we would head in for some much deserved hot cocoa with marshmallows and sit by a fire and then proceed to dig into our new stash of toys. What a great memory for me

I would love to hear some of your fond memories as well. So please feel free to share but hold on just a sec ............. had to go grab a nice hot cup of cocoa- with marshmallows of course. Now please continue
Wow, what a delightful memory. You are quite the gifted writer and I am totally ill equipped to follow such a masterpiece. This will take some serious thinking to come up with something but I did not want to hesitate in toasting your contribution. With a perfectly toasted marshmallow of course. Just brown and bubbly all over and right on the verge of collapsing right off the skewer. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Wow, what a delightful memory. You are quite the gifted writer and I am totally ill equipped to follow such a masterpiece. This will take some serious thinking to come up with something but I did not want to hesitate in toasting your contribution. With a perfectly toasted marshmallow of course. Just brown and bubbly all over and right on the verge of collapsing right off the skewer. Mmmmmmmmmmm
Thank you so much for the compliment Chrissy, but I am by no means a gifted writer. I am humbled that you would think so much of my writing to say that though. I enjoy writing immensely but many times I stumble awkwardly over my own thoughts. Besides it is much easier to write about something that you are fond of, so I would have to give any of the credit to the memories, as they seem to write themselves.

I would love to read any special or fond memories of Christmases past or present that you (or any other fellow pirate friends) would have to share. Anything that you write will be graciously received by me because it is more about connecting with friends than about how clever or skillful the writing is. You could write a one sentence, "I love memories of Christmas with my family" or "Christmas rocks!" or a 10 post novella, either way- coming from the heart it would be great writing and I would enjoy reading it!

And besides you should give yourself much more credit. I have read lots of your posts and you are an excellent writer. What you write always seems to have meaning and feeling behind it. There's no greater compliment than when the reader believes in what you write, and you do it superbly. (In fact, after reading your post, I was 'air-biting' that marshmallow and for a moment I thought I had burned my tongue) There are many talented and gifted writers on these boards and since I am still very new here, I am in catch-up mode trying to enjoy reading the many role plays and other great posts.

Well looks as though I have rambled on once again. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and fully enjoy the Holidays!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I do love making lot of Christmas memories too, a tradition that never stops for all us pirates in this wonderful time of year.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
jack morgan933 on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
I do love making lot of Christmas memories too, a tradition that never stops for all us pirates in this wonderful time of year.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Hey there Jack!

Do you have any fond Christmas memories or traditions that particularly stand out- even if it is something that just happened this Christmas. I would enjoy hearing yours stories and anyone else out there for that matter. If anything just to keep the Christmas magic alive for a while longer.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
Hey there Jack!

Do you have any fond Christmas memories or traditions that particularly stand out- even if it is something that just happened this Christmas. I would enjoy hearing yours stories and anyone else out there for that matter. If anything just to keep the Christmas magic alive for a while longer.
Well, this is going to sound awfully sentimental and not at all piratey... but I guess Christmas is allowed to be that! The best Christmas I ever had was also by far the most stressful. I spent much of Christmas Day flying over the Chinese mainland in a small airplane that seemed to have been built about 50 years earlier. It sputtered and chugged and dipped up and down. Frankly, I was terrified. Later I learned that the other passengers felt the same -- when we got off, one of our company literally kissed the ground!

The flight had taken us to the far south, so we were greeted by tropical air and flowers. When we arrived at the hotel, my husband and I found that we had a special present -- an updated photo of our baby-to-be. It was only the second picture I had of her, and showed her at her present age. I got teased (deservedly so) for hardly letting the photo out of my hands and constantly absorbing the image with my eyes, a photo which showed a beautiful baby being held next to her orphanage crib, looking into the camera with large, luminous almond-shaped eyes.

Then it was another hair-raising trip to the orphanage itself, this time by bus. The countryside was fascinating, ancient and modern together, but went by at high speed. We arrived at the exotically handsome orphanage gates, which led into a courtyard like much of traditional Chinese architecture. Red and pink Bouganvillia flowers gaily bloomed on bushes in the courtyard, which also pragmatically had rows and rows of laundry hung up to dry.

The ceremony presenting us with our children was very formal. We all felt rather shy, very much on our best behavior, and trying not to show our tremendous eagerness. Then the joyful moment arrived, and the little ones were brought in.

Thanks to our new photo we recognized our child right away. It was such a mixture of joy and awe when they put our baby into my arms (where, I must admit, I hogged that baby shamelessly. The poor new father barely got to hold her). I still feel that joy today! I remain conscious of the great honor given to us, that we were able to adopt this child (and later, another). And here it was Christmas, and in my arms was the image of another Child born into poverty so very long ago, who spent the first part of his life with no home to call his own. The honor to now call this child our own was (and is) very great indeed.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
Well, this is going to sound awfully sentimental and not at all piratey... but I guess Christmas is allowed to be that! The best Christmas I ever had was also by far the most stressful. I spent much of Christmas Day flying over the Chinese mainland in a small airplane that seemed to have been built about 50 years earlier. It sputtered and chugged and dipped up and down. Frankly, I was terrified. Later I learned that the other passengers felt the same -- when we got off, one of our company literally kissed the ground!

The flight had taken us to the far south, so we were greeted by tropical air and flowers. When we arrived at the hotel, my husband and I found that we had a special present -- an updated photo of our baby-to-be. It was only the second picture I had of her, and showed her at her present age. I got teased (deservedly so) for hardly letting the photo out of my hands and constantly absorbing the image with my eyes, a photo which showed a beautiful baby being held next to her orphanage crib, looking into the camera with large, luminous almond-shaped eyes.

Then it was another hair-raising trip to the orphanage itself, this time by bus. The countryside was fascinating, ancient and modern together, but went by at high speed. We arrived at the exotically handsome orphanage gates, which led into a courtyard like much of traditional Chinese architecture. Red and pink Bouganvillia flowers gaily bloomed on bushes in the courtyard, which also pragmatically had rows and rows of laundry hung up to dry.

The ceremony presenting us with our children was very formal. We all felt rather shy, very much on our best behavior, and trying not to show our tremendous eagerness. Then the joyful moment arrived, and the little ones were brought in.

Thanks to our new photo we recognized our child right away. It was such a mixture of joy and awe when they put our baby into my arms (where, I must admit, I hogged that baby shamelessly. The poor new father barely got to hold her). I still feel that joy today! I remain conscious of the great honor given to us, that we were able to adopt this child (and later, another). And here it was Christmas, and in my arms was the image of another Child born into poverty so very long ago, who spent the first part of his life with no home to call his own. The honor to now call this child our own was (and is) very great indeed.
Oh Anne that was truly beautiful. *Wipes tears* To have done such a wonderful thing and then to be able to write about it so fluidly and picturesque I feel like I was there with you both. What a fabulous Christmas miracle and you tied it into the true Miracle of Christmas flawlessly.
Anne you truly need to put 'Be a best selling author' on your bucket list for you have the makings of it in such huge amounts that I now I wish to be first in line to get a signed copy of your first book. One of many.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:

Sentimental......heck that is one of the most beautiful and emotion filled memories any one has ever shared with me. And your vivid and touching recollection of it almost made it seem as if it was my own memory. I know for you this was just retelling of one of the most magical and joyful moments of your life but, "Anne Radcliffe" you are as skilled and masterful a writer as my eyes have ever witnessed.

Thank you so much for sharing such a heart-warming, eye-moistening memory from your life. ("No, I'm not crying, I just have someone's beautiful memory in my eye"). You, your husband and your precious baby are truly blessed to have had such an amazing introduction into each others' lives and hearts. And to have that moment repeated in all it's splendor is even more incredible.

Your story is what I would definitely classify as Christmas Blessings. Your sharing of your memory was especially touching to me as my wife and I were recently blessed with beautiful, precious twins- a boy and a girl. Our story together is just beginning but I can already tell it is going to be the greatest and most beautiful story ever written.

Thank you again for sharing and blessings to you and your loved ones.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 29, 2013 wrote:
Oh Anne that was truly beautiful. *Wipes tears* To have done such a wonderful thing and then to be able to write about it so fluidly and picturesque I feel like I was there with you both. What a fabulous Christmas miracle and you tied it into the true Miracle of Christmas flawlessly.
Anne you truly need to put 'Be a best selling author' on your bucket list for you have the makings of it in such huge amounts that I now I wish to be first in line to get a signed copy of your first book. One of many.
I will be right there in line behind you, Chrissy- you can count on that. She is a brilliant and masterful writer indeed and that was just speaking from the heart and retelling a memory. I could only imagine what literary artistry would flow from her if she was to write a book.