Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is your pirates academics?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
Earlier this week I thought to myself "What is my pirate like?" I thought about it and this is what my pirate is like. My pirate is very smart about cultures, and history. Another major he has is theater. He usually has B+- A- and sometimes A's in math and science. He is very artistic, and he has a sum what struggle in English, and reading. He likes to study when he is not saving the spiral. His best sport is swimming, and basketball.

What is your pirate's academics? Post down below and give us your thoughts.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
Well, my pirate's backstory (created over months of development and writing) tells very much of this. School-wise, Destiny Devereaux would be very skilled in geography and the like, and not too shabby at simpler calculations. However, she is illiterate in every language but a rune-based scrawl scratched into Grizzleheimian trees and stones. She speaks several languages fluently, though, and can pass through many places from that. she isn't very good at the sciences, but she has the brain of an engineer. She doesn't use it or realize her talent, though. Best sport? Uh...I always thought that Destiny could be a good pitcher for softball or something like that. If she were trapped within an academic environment, though, she'd try with everything she's made of to escape.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Ooh, this looks fun! Okay well my pirate is extremely smart, for she reads every spare moment she has and for a few years lived in one of the greatest libraries in The Spiral: The Laurentine Library. She does take little assignments here and there and travels throughout The Spiral to all of the different libraries of all of the worlds, always on the constant quest for knowledge. Her favorite subject is reading, and her favorite activity (when not questing for books) is to rock climb. Tree climbing works, too. XD

~Elizabeth, level 35 ~

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
While not having a formal education (due to hiding from the Armada), my character did indeed attend a local one room school house. He absolutely aced his Lore class. Physical education was a snap once eye/hand co-ordination took place as a tweener. Foreign languages are a bit of a problem, but he makes up for it by shouting louder and waving his arms. The classics involve old tunes like 'Sleep, little baby,' and 'Hickory-dickory, dock.' Reading and writing involve getting Bonnie Anne to... I mean sounding out the letters and trying to form a word or sentence out of them. Mathematics is pretty cool since you use trigonometry every day to figure out weapon angles and the like.

But if he were able to attend college now (without being executed by you-know-who), he would likely be a engineering student.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
That is a very good question, Richard. For my pirates, I think of their education in a pre-modern sense, since Pirate101 is a fantasy world that has some historical elements (and in real life, some of my work requires me to think like a pre-modern person, usually as a person of the 18th C., an exercise I enjoy very much). The background of my pirates also comes into play as to what they know.

So, Anne Radcliffe, growing up in rural Mooshu, has mostly just the basics of reading and writing, and a little arithmetic. She has no formal training in science, but knows how to tend animals, make plants grow, and predict weather patterns. Like many a pre-modern girl, Anne got a very early education in sewing, this from her pirate/explorer mother, and thus a skill she doubly prizes. However, while reasonably savvy about the natural world, Anne is somewhat provincial in outlook, naïve, and not streetwise. She has, however, a sizable foundation in philosophy, because of her foster parents, particularly her foster mother (who was quite a philosopher herself). Most of Anne's learning growing up was by ear rather than book learning, and she acquired a prodigious mental repertory of story and song which she has added on to considerably in her more recent travels. Anne sings a lot, and this forms her greatest basis of personal entertainment and comfort (no iPods, after all!). Fortunately she sings well, and can entertain others as well as herself.

But even though she has not had much formal learning, Anne is quick and curious, and rapidly learning more about the Spiral every day. But she had better... her life might literally depend on it!

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
Richard Ashthorn on Aug 27, 2013 wrote:
Earlier this week I thought to myself "What is my pirate like?" I thought about it and this is what my pirate is like. My pirate is very smart about cultures, and history. Another major he has is theater. He usually has B+- A- and sometimes A's in math and science. He is very artistic, and he has a sum what struggle in English, and reading. He likes to study when he is not saving the spiral. His best sport is swimming, and basketball.

My pirate likes civics and world history .another thing she is good at is drama .Her grades are usallly a's and b's .she is the a daydreamer and she can still study her subjects when she does them.my pirate likes to spend time exploring when she is not stopping the armada from taking over the spiral .Her favorite sport is swimming

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
well I guess Griffin never had an education. he was orphaned at age five and grew up with rats from scrimshaw who taught him the basics of reading and writing. all the water moles taught him was how to hunt. and i guess being a thief with mooria otomata never opened up an opportunity to learn anything besides how to steal a statue with only a tooth pick. and since every one is saying their hobbies i will say Griffin plays the Guitar.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
edward is silent quiet stressful sometimes talks to much he used to play soccer and basket ball but retired at it even though a kid ( has four almost five pages of companions i know lots of companions ) and attempting to get revenge cause of the armada

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011

Well, Belle isn't too good a school... She makes B's, C's, and usually A's in reading and writing (she can write amazing stories, but usually can never find the time to do so). She's very creative in just about anything she does and sometimes, a perfectionist. She enjoys writing, but has a hard time reading stories sometimes. She usually just skips the 'boring' parts of the story and finds something that's more exciting or involves blood lol. The rest of the time, she's a daydreamer. Bonnie talked her into Dancing one time, to which she found out that she can't do... she prefers to not talk about it, lol. Overall, she's mostly streetwise, thanks to all the years of piracy she's done, and her family background. She's also very 'strategic' and good at thinking things though when it comes to puzzles (making her the best at being a captain).

I'm basing all of this from her personal homeschooling experience, since she doesn't do too well with others (long story short, she won )...

Any who, her favorite sports are swimming, softball, basketball, baseball, water polo, volleyball, soccer... just about any sport she plays, she'll probably like (she hates competitive running though, so running is out). You can almost never get her out of the water (unless treasure or a good quest is involved).

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012

My Musketeer, Emma Everhart, is mainly talented with literary art. Her grammar is.... Mediocre, I suppose, though her vocabulary is high in range, she uses terms such as 'y'all', 'ain't, and various other similar terms befitting to her Cool Ranch nature. She's surprisingly knowledgable in science, history, but her mathematics aren't the best, and she'll admit that. She has the basics down, as she is skilled in science so it makes sense for her to know at least some math. Her practices in various languages, however, would get an A in my book. She spends a lot of her time studying the different languages, and so far she is fluent in Monquistan, German, Mooshuese, and Valencian, which makes sense as her cousin can mainly only speak Valencian.

To grade her:

Literature: A
Math: B-
History: A
Science A+
Grammar: B-
Language: A+
Athletics: B-...

Yea.

Ciao!

Lieutenant
Sep 10, 2009
Before his piracy he was one of the children to the pharaohs of the kingdom most popular known as the pyramid of the sun. So he and his siblings are practically the face of the Krokotopian academia and athletic system. So he had to be smart and in shape. Many people are saying what their pirate's knowledge in different languages. My pirate can speak (and or write) in Krokotopian (well duh) and write the Krokotopian hieroglyphics, speak monquistian, old and new aquilan, mores code, mooshuese, and understand aztecan hieroglyphics (with the help of his sister).

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Griffen Deverux on Aug 28, 2013 wrote:
well I guess Griffin never had an education. he was orphaned at age five and grew up with rats from scrimshaw who taught him the basics of reading and writing. all the water moles taught him was how to hunt. and i guess being a thief with mooria otomata never opened up an opportunity to learn anything besides how to steal a statue with only a tooth pick. and since every one is saying their hobbies i will say Griffin plays the Guitar.
I would have to say Griffin, you did get quite an education (of sorts) if you can steal a statue with only a toothpick! Can you teach me some of those skills? Not that I want to go around stealing anything (yeah, I know, I'm not really good at being a pirate-y pirate), but I can see where that sort of skill could come in handy trying to get the shackles off a prisoner or retrieve a stolen item, that sort of thing...

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Charlotte Richardson, like Anne Radcliffe, had a less than formal education, mostly, but a very good one for the privateer she would become. Growing up in Grizzleheim, Charlotte learned in an extended foster family with many concerns in business, exploration, and local politics. From an early age Charlotte learned the skills of organization, problem solving, and working with a variety of people. She learned the principles of leadership particularly from her foster mother, who was one of the primary leaders of the community, always participating in an important way in the annual Thing, the meeting of the local clans. The virtues of patience, stoicism, and fortitude, all highly prized by the Bears of Grizzleheim, were drummed into her well. Her foster father, a skald, taught her to play the lyre and sing many of the sagas and histories, feeding the young girl's mind with dreams of adventure and the seeking of honor and glory, stories which only added to the inspiration of her brave, lost birth parents.

Visitors bringing the tales of the horrors of the Armada and the brave Valencians who strove against them in the Resistance, inspired Charlotte to seek after honor and glory herself in a noble cause. Taken on as a young midshipman, Charlotte now received a much more formal education in tactics, fighting, astronomy, mathematics, navigation... and music. The captain of her ship was one who loved the high style songs of Valencia, skillfully accompanying herself on the viola da gamba (the first mate played lute; the bosun, the recorder). Charlotte under the captain's tutelage learned the viola da gamba herself, and a new repertory of music: the exquisitely sweet and harmonious musical forms of the Valencian masters.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 30, 2013 wrote:
I would have to say Griffin, you did get quite an education (of sorts) if you can steal a statue with only a toothpick! Can you teach me some of those skills? Not that I want to go around stealing anything (yeah, I know, I'm not really good at being a pirate-y pirate), but I can see where that sort of skill could come in handy trying to get the shackles off a prisoner or retrieve a stolen item, that sort of thing...

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
hold up for a moment! i can't just teach that to anyone you know it takes skill to do that... or a halberd like mine

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Well ... Ashley's very good. She know a lot about history, literature's of the charts, language- fantastic-o.
Only math is low...

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Being of no academical education (save from the Order of the Fang), Omar is quite a knowledgable person.
as normal scholastics goes, he is an expert on history and folklore, an amateur mathematician, as much a scientist as alchemy goes, fluent in several languages, and a lover of literature. As for others, that list is too long to write here. He is not as physical as he wants to be, though he tries to keep himself somewhat agile.

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Well, my main isn't all that good in math. My report card looked a bit like this: ( the numbers are for effort, 5 is the highest) ( the e are for citizenship)
Science: A E 5
Math: C E 5
English: A E 5
Social StuDIES: A E 5
P.E. A E 5
Health: A E 5 ( but now it is art, Huzzah!

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
My character, growing up, was a farmer/death wizard, self taught. He didn't have any 'real' education. He then came to Valencia, eventually, and gained an education as well as a membership to a brotherhood of assassins. He got these grades at the end:
A: Math
B-: Language Arts
B+:Science
A+:Geography
A+:History
F-:Nobility

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
pirate101 lover on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
Well, my main isn't all that good in math. My report card looked a bit like this: ( the numbers are for effort, 5 is the highest) ( the e are for citizenship)
Science: A E 5
Math: C E 5
English: A E 5
Social StuDIES: A E 5
P.E. A E 5
Health: A E 5 ( but now it is art, Huzzah!
Silver Joseph Vane is a very smart and sophisticated pirate sometimes arrogantly calling himself the smartest thing alive when his friend and cabin boy F is 100x smarter than he is
Science:A-
Social studies:A+++(phineas and ferb refrence for the win)
English:C-
Math:A-
Engineering and technology-B+
Health:B-
Arts and music-B+

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I can't believe I haven't posted this before.

Due to Scarlet and Jenny's backstory, they both received a proper Marleybonean education. Scarlet paid much better attention during school than Jenny did and therefore got much better marks. Scarlet's best subjects were always the three traditional sciences, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. But she also had great intrerest for History and literature. Regarding Scarlet's current understanding of science, I expect she knows about as much as any average 18-19thC naturalist, or at least as much any typical Marleybonean Scientist. In fact, Scarlet is a peripheral member of the SGS.

Jenny was more interested in pulling pranks and watching birds flying around outside. As a result, she did get good marks, but maybe not the best.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Huh, this seems interesting. Pearl, being raised in Scrimshaw for the most part, is kind of illiterate. She can read a little bit, but she has to sound out every letter. Connor is teaching her how to read a bit more, so she's progressing. She knows only how to add and subtract, and that's about it for arithmetic. Her blood mother was from Mooshu, so she knows Japanese and Chinese, and is quite fluent in the latter. She's also very interested in fine arts, painting, doing drama, and singing. I don't want to give her specific grades, but I can imagine her failing a lot of classes.

Connor, on the other hand, being raised in Marleybone, was given a very good education. He's forgotten Japanese and Chinese since his blood parents died, but Pearl's teaching him again. He's very good at math, as well as chemistry and physics. He's a tactical genius, and very good at geography. He's teaching Pearl how to read. Although not very interested in drawing objects or people, he does take fancy in calligraphy.

Math: A
Science: A
Language Arts: A-
Social Studies: A-
P.E.: B+
Music: B