Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Buccaneer Shields and Hydra in Aquila

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
I've been meaning to post this and kept forgetting, so my apologies.

My L65 Buccaneer recently did the Hydra quest. In that dungeon, I put on my aquarium shields (yeah, I call them my personal aquariums), both of the -50's.

However, I found that when I was hit by any of the hydra heads, I received FULL damage, as though my shields never existed.

Is my Buccaneer not suppose to be protected from full damage in the Hydra dungeon? Is it a glitch/error? I know it doesn't protect you from WD spells, but since the hydra heads are Bucs, shouldn't my shields protect me?

Inquiring minds want to know (okay, me)

Thanks!!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I have an additional question to this one: Do those shields stack? (I call them snow globes by the way ). I put two 50% ones on me and I was still taking damage. Was that a glitch or do they not stack?

Developer
The Buccaneer shields will protect you from melee attacks, and eventually even from ranged attacks, but not magical attacks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
The Buccaneer shields will protect you from melee attacks, and eventually even from ranged attacks, but not magical attacks.
Ahh, that was probably it. Thank you Ratbeard. As always you have been most helpful.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
I have an additional question to this one: Do those shields stack? (I call them snow globes by the way ). I put two 50% ones on me and I was still taking damage. Was that a glitch or do they not stack?
The shields do stack but they don't add up the values. The first shield will reduce the damage by 50% then the next shield will reduce the remaining damage by 50%. So two 50% shields give 75% defense.
Don't worry about the order if the shields are different strengths though, it will work out the same in the end.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 10, 2013 wrote:
Yes, the shields do stack. By putting on the two 50% shields, it will not add up to 100%.

Using this as an example: If a swashbuckler/buccaneer hit you for 100 damage and you have the two shields on:

100 damage - 50% = 50 damage ......... 50 damage - 50% = 25 damage.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
Yes, the shields do stack. By putting on the two 50% shields, it will not add up to 100%.

Using this as an example: If a swashbuckler/buccaneer hit you for 100 damage and you have the two shields on:

100 damage - 50% = 50 damage ......... 50 damage - 50% = 25 damage.
Oh that makes sense. Kind of like trying to make a half off coupon doubled to get the item free, it never works lol.

Ensign
Nov 17, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 12, 2013 wrote:
Oh that makes sense. Kind of like trying to make a half off coupon doubled to get the item free, it never works lol.
What are these shields you guys are talking about

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Artemis49 on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
What are these shields you guys are talking about
They are an animated covering that sort of look like a circle of ocean environment that goes around your pirate for a few seconds then disappears, but they reduce the damage of hits coming your way. They are called "Leviathan's Call & Kracken's Lament" One protects you with 25% block and the other is a 50% block.