Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Epic Talents for Ratbeard?

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
I'm curious - What combination of Epic Talents have you taught Ratbeard? Do you have him high up in your crew, or does he ride the bench a lot?

I really like Ratbeard's personality, but it seems every time I send him wading into a fight he gets himself killed fairly quickly. Do others have the same problem, or did I just teach him a bad set of Epics? I'm working on his third promotion quest now (on my Witchdoctor) and I'm debating whether to retrain his current Epics while I'm at it.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
My various Ratbeards have slightly different configurations, but he consistently sits in the middle of the crew and only shows up occasionally. For my melee crew, my favorite talents are Flanking and Riposte, neither of which he can learn.

-Indigo

Community Leader
Sierra Starsong on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
I'm curious - What combination of Epic Talents have you taught Ratbeard? Do you have him high up in your crew, or does he ride the bench a lot?

I really like Ratbeard's personality, but it seems every time I send him wading into a fight he gets himself killed fairly quickly. Do others have the same problem, or did I just teach him a bad set of Epics? I'm working on his third promotion quest now (on my Witchdoctor) and I'm debating whether to retrain his current Epics while I'm at it.
From what I remember (this is on my Witchdoctor as well, by the way), I have him set up with First Strike and Repel Borders. I keep him at the middle of my crew list (maybe 10th or 11th). He tends to hold his own, more or less. If he is my only melee, I'll hit him with Raven's Cry for the extra movement, another rank of First Strike and some Riposte.

He isn't as strong as Bonnie Anne or some of the top tier swashbucklers (Kan Po for WD, El Toro, Monkey King) and I keep Mormo and Old Scratch above him because I'm trying to group up the enemies for my Witch Doctor anyways. I think I'd also put my Presidio companion (Lucky Jack Russel) over Ratbeard and, mostly since she's new and exciting, Gracie Conrad. Lastly, depending on what types of enemies I think I'll be facing, I sometimes put Rooster Cogburn ahead of Ratbeard.

So, other than all of those, he's the best!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
I always put Relentless on any companion if I can. I never really use Ratbeard, but I'd say that he should have Relentless and Cheap Shot. I have already upgraded my Ratbeard, so I forget how many Epics you can give him. For a third Epic I would do First Strike. First Strike is just usually a good one to have. Some that I would avoid are ones like Flanking mostly because I have no idea how it works.

Happy Questing!

Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013
From what I remember on my musketeer he has first strike 2 and blade storm and repel boarders.He is usaually in the third row of my companions becuase he really isn't that good.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
My ratbeard (who is currently my 3rd mate just fyi), right behind old scratch and bonnie anne, my 1st & 2nd mates respectively) currently has hold the line, bladestorm, first strike and repel boarders 2. This setup allows him to halt enemies in their tracks and damage them as well. For a buccaneer companion, ratbeard is pretty/fairly decent and can generally hold his own in a fight.

Granted he's not the strongest companion in the game, but I think/feel that when used properly he can be a pretty devastating force to be reckoned with, so there's that at least.

Captain
May 02, 2009
Level him up to at least level 60, and give him Tough 4 and Armored 4 (reset him if you have too) I've only promoted Ratbeard three times (once on Test, twice on Live) and I always gave him First Strike 2. Other epics I've given him on my players include Repeal Borders, Blade Storm, and Cheap Shot. For the other talents probably give him Strong 3 (because I think Ratbeard or Blind Mew said something about the more strength, will, or agility you have the less likely Relentless, Mojo Echo or Burst Fire will activate) and the last one or two can be your choice. I'd get Accurate 3 for him. But, he's your Rat Admiral, not mine

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
x Gives Ratbeard a much needed hug x You are still loved Ratbeard by many and you knock them silly all the time in my fights

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
Sierra Starsong on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:

RB is on my second page of companions line # 1 slot 3 or 4 he seems to do sad damage vs my other more powerful companions. el toro, kobe etc but have repel and 2x strike first on him so its not all that bad. the new knock back move can be useful at times as well. e.g. light a fire behind them and knock them back into it.

Ensign
Apr 25, 2012
First strike and repel boarders is a solid choice always and has worked very well on for me on my current character. I'd suggest not to pick bladestorm since bonnie anne has that covered with double tap. As far as buccaneers go he's really good and when you first get him he's easily one of the best fighters you'll have for a long time. I found myself using him a lot less later on in the later levels though although I haven't seen what his new promotion does for him so he could be a lot better than before.

Developer
Ratbeard has a suite of talents that do not really favor wading into the fight, but rather holding back slightly and helping to protect your "front line."

Hold the Line, Repel Boarders, First Strike, Cheap Shot-- you should be moving Ratbeard maybe slightly ahead of your squishier troops, but not directly into the fight. He'll stop them as they approach, get a few shots in, and maybe nail anybody that tries to move past.

It's hard to build Ratbeard into a bruiser-- only First Strike and Bladestorm are really applicable to him as a direct damage dealer, and he doesn't have a lot of armor to go toe-to-toe with other specialized melee combatants. I like my melee bruisers to have some combination of Relentless, Vengeance Strike, Flanking, or Riposte.

All in all I'd say you should be playing Ratbeard like a dirty rat who is interested in saving his own hide.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Crowd control is the name of the game with my Ratbeard. I am training him for PvP and I have 2 potential setups. With Ratbeard and muskets I would go with hold the line 2 and cheap shot 3. This way I can hold them a distance away from my muskets for at least a turn and potentially more with cheap shot 3 ability to immobilize the opponent. My current Ratbeard's setup presumes melee support so he comes with Hold the Line 3 to reduce my opponents dodge and cheap shot 3 to preserve his longetivity by making it unlikely for my opponent to get Riposte-Relentless strings. Ratbeard's knockback power and Triton's song fully support his role as crowd control and I am really Thankful that this character was designed in such a unique way.