Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"Renting" Companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 20, 2013
Anyone else other than me ever get this idea? Recruiting Companions in the Crown Shop lets you keep them forever, but they cost an awful lot and usually get outdated later on when you level and discover there are way cheaper and better companions that are unlocked as you progress. (When I brought Fin Dorsal, I kind of thought I wasted about seven thousand crowns because El Tiburon, the Storm Shark, was way better. And I wanted to get Froggo Villa too .... Aaaggraah!)

So why can't you "hire" a Companion for some time, like renting a mount, instead of recruiting one to be with you forever? Maybe you can hire a Companion for some number of Crowns or best, if possible, Gold and have him/she/it be with you for a set amount of time before it leaves your crew?

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Community Leader
thatonevalenciansw... on Jun 1, 2013 wrote:
so technically mercanarys?
They wouldn't necessarily have to be birds.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Talkin The Plank on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
They wouldn't necessarily have to be birds.
I knew that What i meant was just people for hire

Community Leader
I think the problem might be in how promotions/training might be handled.
How fair is it to "rent" a companion and have all its promotion quests completed.

Then again who would "rent" a companion they then had to pursue promotion quests on.

Just dont think "renting" would work out very well with how companions work.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Nice pun Talkin The Plank . You made me giggle when I really needed one.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Sparkarm on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Anyone else other than me ever get this idea? Recruiting Companions in the Crown Shop lets you keep them forever, but they cost an awful lot and usually get outdated later on when you level and discover there are way cheaper and better companions that are unlocked as you progress. (When I brought Fin Dorsal, I kind of thought I wasted about seven thousand crowns because El Tiburon, the Storm Shark, was way better. And I wanted to get Froggo Villa too .... Aaaggraah!)

So why can't you "hire" a Companion for some time, like renting a mount, instead of recruiting one to be with you forever? Maybe you can hire a Companion for some number of Crowns or best, if possible, Gold and have him/she/it be with you for a set amount of time before it leaves your crew?
This is probably exactly why you can't rent them, because then you might not buy them and KI would lose lots of crowns. However, there is a way to find out about almost every single companion, play every single class, then only a few companions in the crown shop you will never get.

And I do mean only a few!

DarthJT

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Maybe they could do something similar to the Henchman system they have on Wiz. You can rent a companion for a fight coming up that you could really use a high powered fighter for. I realize the situations are not the same and this would entail lots of work and rearranging but I am just helping to brainstorm a way to see if this kind of checking out new companions would work.